College?!?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: College?!?

Post by devildeac » August 6th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Ben63 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:(Cornell was also in Ithaca)

Still is actually...
:)) :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2009, 12:05 am

wilson wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: Does that include me too? I'm considering getting a master's over yonder. Duke doesn't offer the program I am interested in.
Grad school is totally different. Almost everybody I know claims their undergrad alma mater first and foremost.
Interesting. I went to Duke for grad school, but I think I probably do claim my undergrad alma mater first and foremost.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 7th, 2009, 12:06 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
wilson wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: Does that include me too? I'm considering getting a master's over yonder. Duke doesn't offer the program I am interested in.
Grad school is totally different. Almost everybody I know claims their undergrad alma mater first and foremost.
Interesting. I went to Duke for grad school, but I think I probably do claim my undergrad alma mater first and foremost.
Arkansas?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2009, 12:10 am

TillyGalore wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Does that include me too? I'm considering getting a master's over yonder. Duke doesn't offer the program I am interested in.
What are you thinking of pursuing?
Education, specifically curriculum. As I'm working with medical students, helping to redesign the surgical curriculum, and residents, as well as doing research as regards medical education, I thought a Master's would be a natural progression.
That's cool, Tilly! I did some med school curriculum stuff a couple of jobs ago, but mine was at the 1st year level and from the faculty side. The institution was in the midst of a switch to an organ system based approach. Noting more fun than medical school curriculum meetings. And I mean that with all the sarcasm in my heart.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » August 7th, 2009, 12:12 am

Hey CellR,

You're from NC, right?

One thing I'd encourage is, wherever you end up going, DON'T HANG OUT ONLY WITH YOUR HS FRIENDS!

This is much easier to do if you go to a school like Duke - in the rooms just up and down my freshman hall from me were people from Ill., Texas, Boston, NYC, Charlotte, London, San Fran, Greece - I met sooo many folks with very different backgrounds, and it was great!

That's harder to do at a state school, where cliques are already formed, carried over from high school. My high school sent 25% of its graduates to UVA, and they all continued to hang out together there.

As CathyCA pointed out, if you went to a West Coast school (or anywhere outside the South, really), you'd stand out amongst your peers. That may sound unappealing, but trust me, it's a good thing - folks always want to meet "the new/different guy," so it means they come to you, which makes it easier to meet new people.

DukeUsul is right - visiting really is a great way to determine what "feels right." It might help you narrow your list of applications down, at least. A HS classmate of mine was wicked-smart, got into Harvard, Yale, Duke, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, and Wake Forest, and visited them all. Guess where she ended up going? Wake, because she thought the people there were the nicest and most friendly. She did okay there, if you consider winning a Rhodes Scholarship doing okay.

I first saw Duke in 8th grade; spent the rest of my high school college investigation time comparing every other school to Duke, and none measured up in my mind. But, I feel like I gave it a full-faith effort to at least see what else was out there. Sounds like you are too -- good luck with everything!

(One good thing about narrowing your applications to just 4-5 schools? Far fewer application essays, and less $$ spent on app fees.)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 7th, 2009, 12:15 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Hey CellR,

You're from NC, right?

One thing I'd encourage is, wherever you end up going, DON'T HANG OUT ONLY WITH YOUR HS FRIENDS!

This is much easier to do if you go to a school like Duke - in the rooms just up and down my freshman hall from me were people from Ill., Texas, Boston, NYC, Charlotte, London, San Fran, Greece - I met sooo many folks with very different backgrounds, and it was great!

That's harder to do at a state school, where cliques are already formed, carried over from high school. My high school sent 25% of its graduates to UVA, and they all continued to hang out together there.

As CathyCA pointed out, if you went to a West Coast school (or anywhere outside the South, really), you'd stand out amongst your peers. That may sound unappealing, but trust me, it's a good thing - folks always want to meet "the new/different guy," so it means they come to you, which makes it easier to meet new people.

DukeUsul is right - visiting really is a great way to determine what "feels right." It might help you narrow your list of applications down, at least. A HS classmate of mine was wicked-smart, got into Harvard, Yale, Duke, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, and Wake Forest, and visited them all. Guess where she ended up going? Wake, because she thought the people there were the nicest and most friendly. She did okay there, if you consider winning a Rhodes Scholarship doing okay.

I first saw Duke in 8th grade; spent the rest of my high school college investigation time comparing every other school to Duke, and none measured up in my mind. But, I feel like I gave it a full-faith effort to at least see what else was out there. Sounds like you are too -- good luck with everything!

(One good thing about narrowing your applications to just 4-5 schools? Far fewer application essays, and less $$ spent on app fees.)
Agreed on all of this (although my feelings are in part "Do as I say and not as I did"). There's really no need for anyone to apply to more than about six schools, in my opinion.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2009, 12:16 am

wilson wrote:Arkansas?
Nope! Hendrix College. (And, no, it's not named after Jimi Hendrix. However, they do have a shirt with Jimi's picture followed by the word college.)
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 7th, 2009, 12:18 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Nope! Hendrix College. (And, no, it's not named after Jimi Hendrix. However, they do have a shirt with Jimi's picture followed by the word college.)
Well, in that case, your Duke fanhood is still totally understandable. No offense, but there's not a great deal of head-to-head athletic competition between Duke and Hendrix.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2009, 12:37 am

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Well, in that case, your Duke fanhood is still totally understandable. No offense, but there's not a great deal of head-to-head athletic competition between Duke and Hendrix.
That is correct. However, I was a Razorback fan growing up. I'm still a fan of the football team and am returning to the basketball team. I cheer for Duke when they play head-to-head.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 7th, 2009, 12:40 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
That is correct. However, I was a Razorback fan growing up. I'm still a fan of the football team and am returning to the basketball team. I cheer for Duke when they play head-to-head.
Good. Because I still don't want to talk about 1994.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2009, 12:42 am

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Good. Because I still don't want to talk about 1994.
Sir, that is one more thing upon which we agree. I seriously boosted by post count over yonder during the Nolan debacle. His behavior during that particular Final Four is what turned me off the Arkansas basketball program.
-- Albert Einstein
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 7th, 2009, 8:21 am

I have visited most of the schools that I am going to apply to. Over spring break my family went on a "College Tour" and took the tour/info session at Duke, UNC, Wake, and UVA. Looking back on it, we probably should have stopped at Davidson as well. For some reason, I didn't particularly love UVA. At least not as much as the North Carolina schools I visited. After reading some of your comments and looking into West Coast schools, I am seriously considering applying to Berkely.

And I'm probably not going to apply to ECU anymore. It would be a waste of money because I would easily choose App. State over it.
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 7th, 2009, 8:23 am

wilson wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:Hey CellR,

You're from NC, right?

As long as I don't go to ECU, App, or UNCW, I probably won't have a problem with this. There aren't usually TOO many people from my school that go to UNC, and only one or two every year that go to Duke and Wake.
Class of 2014
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 7th, 2009, 8:28 am

CellR wrote:
There aren't usually TOO many people from my school that go to UNC, and only one or two every year that go to Duke and Wake.
An enigma to be sure. That damned place was it for the guys I went to HS with.

They mostly ended up in Boone.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2009, 8:31 am

ArkieDukie wrote:However, I was a Razorback fan growing up. I'm still a fan of the football team and ...
And that current Arkansas football coach is still thought of very highly in Atlanta. b-( b-(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2009, 8:38 am

CellR wrote:..., I am seriously considering applying to Berkely.
The folks at Berserkeley might not take too kindly to that missing "e." b-( :D

Three schools I have visited since college and wished I applied to: UW, Berserkeley, and Vancouver (UBC). Would also LOVE to visit Simon Fraser, Stanford, and UCSD.
:D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Native
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Native » August 7th, 2009, 9:52 am

Didn't want to make a new thread entirely, but I have a few questions as well.

I'm only a junior in high school, so I still have a lot of time to think about college. However, I am starting to seriously consider a few schools.

I love Duke; always have, always will. I practically grew up on campus and at the Thomas Center, because I would hang out with my business professor/grandfather while both my parents worked when I was younger. I can remember falling asleep on the bronze railing in CIS when I was a young'un.

I'd really like to pursue a career in the entertainment industry; more specifically, I'd like to direct films. I know that the best film schools are all on the West Coast (I live in Cary, by the way), but I'm reluctant to apply there. I just know that if I were to go to, say, UCLA and have to play Duke in basketball, I would be seriously conflicted. I've also never been that far away from home by myself. However, I know that Duke offers a certificate in Film Studies, just not a degree. Could anyone shed some light on the difference between a certificate and an actual degree? What impact will that have on me getting a job in the entertainment industry? And, if I do decide to pursue a certificate in film studies, what should I declare as my major?

I like to think I'm doing pretty well in HS right now; I have a 4.0 unweighted GPA and a 4.7 weighted with both AP and Honors classes under my belt. I scored a 2060 on my first try on the PSAT and am also the student body vice president and captain of the varsity lacrosse team as a rising junior. I am also beginning to rack up volunteer hours. I feel somewhat confident in my ability to get into many of the schools I want to apply to (Duke, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, Columbia, Northwestern, etc.). If anyone else has any top-tier schools that offer a film degree/certificate, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 7th, 2009, 10:01 am

Native wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread entirely, but I have a few questions as well.

I'm only a junior in high school, so I still have a lot of time to think about college. However, I am starting to seriously consider a few schools.

I love Duke; always have, always will. I practically grew up on campus and at the Thomas Center, because I would hang out with my business professor/grandfather while both my parents worked when I was younger. I can remember falling asleep on the bronze railing in CIS when I was a young'un.

I'd really like to pursue a career in the entertainment industry; more specifically, I'd like to direct films. I know that the best film schools are all on the West Coast (I live in Cary, by the way), but I'm reluctant to apply there. I just know that if I were to go to, say, UCLA and have to play Duke in basketball, I would be seriously conflicted. I've also never been that far away from home by myself. However, I know that Duke offers a certificate in Film Studies, just not a degree. Could anyone shed some light on the difference between a certificate and an actual degree? What impact will that have on me getting a job in the entertainment industry? And, if I do decide to pursue a certificate in film studies, what should I declare as my major?

I like to think I'm doing pretty well in HS right now; I have a 4.0 unweighted GPA and a 4.7 weighted with both AP and Honors classes under my belt. I scored a 2060 on my first try on the PSAT and am also the student body vice president and captain of the varsity lacrosse team as a rising junior. I am also beginning to rack up volunteer hours. I feel somewhat confident in my ability to get into many of the schools I want to apply to (Duke, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, Columbia, Northwestern, etc.). If anyone else has any top-tier schools that offer a film degree/certificate, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!
There are only 2 film schools (in my mind): USC & NYU. And they hate each other. USC has Spielberg (sp?) & Lucas. NYU has Scorcese.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2009, 10:02 am

Native wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread entirely, but I have a few questions as well.

Thanks!
Native, first of all welcome!!!

Have you looked at NYU for film?

I would think if you want to get in the film industry, you need go to school near the film industry, i.e. LA or NYC. If you do end up at UCLA, there aren't any rules that state you have to root for them when they play Duke. :) :) Being near the industry you are much more likely to be in a position to network with people, do internships in the business, etc.

A certificate is a year of post-grad work, thus you'd have to get your Bachelor's first. I think the certificate is geared towards people who are changing their careers, or looking for a program to boost their careers that isn't intensive as a Master's, nor as expensive. I speak from experience as I have a Certificate in Public Health from Harvard.

EDIT: What Sue wrote. And she would know as she is associated with both schools.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 7th, 2009, 10:51 am

Thanks!
There is an alternative closer to home though it may not yet be as prestigious as the films schools already discussed. Here's a link http://www.ncarts.edu/filmmaking/index.htm Take a look at the alumni listed and what they're doing. Look over the faculty listing, programs and courses. If you could see any of that fitting you, then maybe you could consider this school.