2016 Season general discussion

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

2016 Season general discussion

Post by Bob Green » July 13th, 2016, 4:56 pm

The roster has been updated with jersey numbers, heights and weights for incoming freshmen:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml? ... EM_ID=4200

A few that standout:

11 Scott Bracey 6'2" 200
16 Dylan Singleton 5'11" 190
22 Brittain Brown 6'1" 195
66 Jaylen Miller 6'4" 315
77 Robert Kraeling 6'7" 270
89 Mark Birmingham 6'4" 235
90 Terrell Lucas 6'3" 230
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: 2016 Season general discussion

Post by wolfpackdevil » July 18th, 2016, 10:33 pm

I feel the need to give myself a few months during the offseason to not think about Duke football whatsoever. And after the emotional whirlwind that was the last half of the 2015 season, this hiatus was much needed. I still have not watched a replay from the Miami kickoff return and have no plans on doing so unless we win in Coral Gables this fall.

I am very excited for this 2016 season and the opportunity this team will have in front of them. A few things I am interested in as we have less than 3 weeks until fall camp begins.

1. Will Sirk actually be ready for fall camp? Duke is saying all the right things, but until I actually see footage of him playing QB1 in fall camp, I’ll keep my excitement limited. In my opinion, Parker Boehme is not ready to be QB1. If Sirk is not ready for the start of the season I would almost rather see Daniel Jones get an opportunity.

2. How good will Scott Bracey be? We need all the weapons we can get this year. I expect Nash and Rahming to have big years, but behind there are some question marks behind those two. If Bracey could step into a starting role early on, we could actually have a really productive receiving core.

3. How will the offensive line come together? Our offensive line has been our strongest unit during this four-year span. With a few new faces, I’m interested to see how they will fare.

4. Can Shaun Wilson become one of the most productive backs in the ACC? I expect Jela Duncan to have a solid year, but Wilson has the talent to be one of the best in the conference. Hurting his hamstring in camp last year definitely set him back. I am hoping that he will get 15-20 touches per game this year, and looking forward to seeing more explosive runs like he had against VT, Indiana, and NCCU.

5. Very young defensive front 7. I am confident our back-5 will be strong, led by Edwards, Borders, Singleton, and Fields. With a strong new D-Line coach and a lot of young talent, I am hoping our D-Line takes a step forward this year. We really need to pressure opposing QB’s much more without blitzing than we have in years past.

6. Bye-Bye Ross Martin and Will Monday. We are replacing two NFL special-teamers with two, highly recruited kids. As much as I will miss Ross and Will, it will be fun seeing new guys kicking the ball for us this year.

Those are just a few of the things I am looking forward to seeing with the team this year. Excited to get to fall camp and seeing this team come together!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2016, 10:56 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:I feel the need to give myself a few months during the offseason to not think about Duke football whatsoever. And after the emotional whirlwind that was the last half of the 2015 season, this hiatus was much needed. I still have not watched a replay from the Miami kickoff return and have no plans on doing so unless we win in Coral Gables this fall.

I am very excited for this 2016 season and the opportunity this team will have in front of them. A few things I am interested in as we have less than 3 weeks until fall camp begins.

1. Will Sirk actually be ready for fall camp? Duke is saying all the right things, but until I actually see footage of him playing QB1 in fall camp, I’ll keep my excitement limited. In my opinion, Parker Boehme is not ready to be QB1. If Sirk is not ready for the start of the season I would almost rather see Daniel Jones get an opportunity.

2. How good will Scott Bracey be? We need all the weapons we can get this year. I expect Nash and Rahming to have big years, but behind there are some question marks behind those two. If Bracey could step into a starting role early on, we could actually have a really productive receiving core.

3. How will the offensive line come together? Our offensive line has been our strongest unit during this four-year span. With a few new faces, I’m interested to see how they will fare.

4. Can Shaun Wilson become one of the most productive backs in the ACC? I expect Jela Duncan to have a solid year, but Wilson has the talent to be one of the best in the conference. Hurting his hamstring in camp last year definitely set him back. I am hoping that he will get 15-20 touches per game this year, and looking forward to seeing more explosive runs like he had against VT, Indiana, and NCCU.

5. Very young defensive front 7. I am confident our back-5 will be strong, led by Edwards, Borders, Singleton, and Fields. With a strong new D-Line coach and a lot of young talent, I am hoping our D-Line takes a step forward this year. We really need to pressure opposing QB’s much more without blitzing than we have in years past.

6. Bye-Bye Ross Martin and Will Monday. We are replacing two NFL special-teamers with two, highly recruited kids. As much as I will miss Ross and Will, it will be fun seeing new guys kicking the ball for us this year.

Those are just a few of the things I am looking forward to seeing with the team this year. Excited to get to fall camp and seeing this team come together!
Well done, WPD. Looking forward to what you might see/hear/write after summer camp starts.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 21st, 2016, 4:43 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:A few things I am interested in as we have less than 3 weeks until fall camp begins.
Great post!

The key is the running game and the key to the running game is the offensive line. Injuries at offensive guard have taken a toll on depth. Will a true freshman see action in 2016? Even future 1st Round NFL Draftee Laken Tomlinson redshirted. Keep an eye out for #66 Jaylen Miller (6'3" 315) and/or #65 Julian Santos (6'3" 315) to play as true freshmen. A lot will depend on the health and availability of #79 redshirt senior Tanner Stone who had off season back surgery.

Jela Duncan, Shaun Wilson and two talented true freshmen in Brittain Brown and Elijah Deveaux can run the ball for a lot of yards if the OL gives them some room to operate. Duncan and Wilson are Mr. Thunder and Mr. Lightning!

Production at wide receiver is the next key. Wolfpackdevil hit the nail on the head with his comments on Scott Bracey. We need him to be an immediate star.

Establishing a consistent pass rush is the big defensive key. A lot is riding on the shoulders of new defensive line coach Ben Albert. I'm optimistic. I believe Coach Cutcliffe recognized a problem and went out and got Albert to solve the problem.

I am totally in the wait and see mode when it comes to quarterback.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 21st, 2016, 5:33 pm

Q: Which true freshmen will play?

It seems four or five play each season. In 2015 it was five: T.J. Rahming, Jeremy McDuffie, Ben Humphreys, Brandon Boyce and Marquies Price.

My guess:

K A.J. Reed, WR Scott Bracey, RB Brittain Brown, OL Jaylen Miller*, DL Terrell Lucas, DB Dylan Singleton, CB Mark Gilbert

So it is going to be six or seven in 2016. I put an asterik on Jaylen Miller because if Tanner Stone is healthy and available, Miller will redshirt. I count 50 days to kick-off (not that I'm counting my summer away once again ;) )
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 21st, 2016, 8:20 pm

Video/writeup on WRAL.com
Sirk talks about his road back to being the starter again this year.
"I started the rehab process immediately after having surgery," Sirk said. "Having tore my right one in 2013, I knew what to expect, I knew what the process is going to be composed of. Immediately, I accepted there's nothing you can do about the injury. I had to move forward. I listened to my trainers and what they told me.

"They told me we could overcome this one as I did my right one."

Sirk's belief that he will lead the Blue Devils again with balance matches the QB's determination and ability to return.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-count ... /15868286/
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 23rd, 2016, 9:27 am

There is an excellent post by Olympic Fan over on DBR:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/ ... post901173

He attended ACC Football Kick Off in Charlotte so he heard and talked to Cutcliffe, Sirk and Edwards. His comments on the offensive line provide jet fuel to my optimism!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 23rd, 2016, 3:08 pm

Thanks for the updates
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 4th, 2016, 5:20 pm

Duke has 3 votes to start the season in the Coaches Poll.
We play 3 teams currently ranked (ND (9), Cheaters (20), Louisville (23), with Miami the first ones out at 26th. Northwestern has 31 votes, Pittsburgh has 8.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 11th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Did anyone receive a recorded voice message from Thomas Sirk????
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 12th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Not a lot of news coming out of practice so far, but it has been revealed Scott Bracey tweaked his hamstring. Tomorrow (Saturday) is the first day in full pads.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 14th, 2016, 6:55 am

The team worked out in full pads on Saturday:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
...the Duke Football team donned full pads for the first time Saturday evening during a two-hour workout at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. The Blue Devils ended the evening with a situational scrimmage.
The link includes a video clip with Coach Cutcliffe commenting on the team. He says the defense is ahead of the offense they played aggressive and took the ball away. Later in the scrimmage the offense ran the ball with authority. Sirk is throwing in 7 on 7 drills but didn't go in the scrimmage. Sirk continues to say he feels better each practice. Scott Bracey remains out with a slight hamstring, Tanner Stone didn't participate, Zach Morris out with a knee. Bryon Fields has a strong start at cornerback. Devon Edwards is back in the rover safety position. Jeremy McDuffie and Mark Gilbert have looked good at corner. Shaun Wilson has a unique set of skills with the speed and quickness. Brittain Brown caught Coach Cutcliffe's eye running the ball.

There is some coach speak in his observations along with a lot of information.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2016, 8:39 am

Bob Green wrote:The team worked out in full pads on Saturday:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
...the Duke Football team donned full pads for the first time Saturday evening during a two-hour workout at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. The Blue Devils ended the evening with a situational scrimmage.
The link includes a video clip with Coach Cutcliffe commenting on the team. He says the defense is ahead of the offense they played aggressive and took the ball away. Later in the scrimmage the offense ran the ball with authority. Sirk is throwing in 7 on 7 drills but didn't go in the scrimmage. Sirk continues to say he feels better each practice. Scott Bracey remains out with a slight hamstring, Tanner Stone didn't participate, Zach Morris out with a knee. Bryon Fields has a strong start at cornerback. Devon Edwards is back in the rover safety position. Jeremy McDuffie and Mark Gilbert have looked good at corner. Shaun Wilson has a unique set of skills with the speed and quickness. Brittain Brown caught Coach Cutcliffe's eye running the ball.

There is some coach speak in his observations along with a lot of information.
Nice update, Bob. Thanks!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 18th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Coach Cutcliffe has suspended DT Brandon Boyce and S Phillip Carter for the first three games of the season:

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story ... wo-players
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 19th, 2016, 8:22 am

Bob Green wrote:Coach Cutcliffe has suspended DT Brandon Boyce and S Phillip Carter for the first three games of the season:

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story ... wo-players
According to WRAL, Carter was the starter.
Carter has 18 tackles and an interception in 21 career games over two seasons. He was listed as the starter at rover on the preseason depth chart ahead of junior Alonzo Saxton II.
Once again, Coach Cutcliffe shows he will not be hesitant in handing out discipline when called for.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-suspe ... /15941153/
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 19th, 2016, 4:27 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: According to WRAL, Carter was the starter.
Carter has 18 tackles and an interception in 21 career games over two seasons. He was listed as the starter at rover on the preseason depth chart ahead of junior Alonzo Saxton II.
With the return of Bryon Fields at cornerback, DeVon Edwards is the starter at rover. In more traditional lingo, rover is the free safety.

Rover (free safety): DeVon Edwards
Bandit (strong safety): Deondre Singleton
Strike (safety/linebacker hybrid): Corbin McCarthy

I expect a lot of competition for the Strike position. The team has a lot of talented depth at safety, which means the big loser in all this could be Phillip Carter. It is hard to impress the coaches and earn more playing time when you are riding the bench suspended.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 19th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Bob Green wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: According to WRAL, Carter was the starter.
With the return of Bryon Fields at cornerback, DeVon Edwards is the starter at rover. In more traditional lingo, rover is the free safety.

Rover (free safety): DeVon Edwards
Bandit (strong safety): Deondre Singleton
Strike (safety/linebacker hybrid): Corbin McCarthy

I expect a lot of competition for the Strike position. The team has a lot of talented depth at safety, which means the big loser in all this could be Phillip Carter. It is hard to impress the coaches and earn more playing time when you are riding the bench suspended.
Thanks...Happy Birthday! :ymparty:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 19th, 2016, 7:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Thanks...Happy Birthday! :ymparty:
Thank you! I'm having a good day.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2016, 11:01 am

Well it looks like the "ugly rumor" Bob Green mentioned this morning is turning out to be true. (Achilles injury/reinjury.) Hopefully, the good things we've heard about Daniel Jones are also true.

Vibes to TS. :wizard: :wizard:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm

With Sirk injured and redshirt freshman Daniel Jones slated to start, I am not sure what to expect from the passing game. I know we will utilize Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson to lean on the running game, but the passing game...perhaps we should bone up on some terminology:

Screen pass: bubble screen, tunnel screen, jailbreak screen, slow screen and shovel pass. :))

The good news is those wide receiver screens rely on speed and team speed is much better these days. :happy-bouncyblue: