And the xbox 360 goes down AGAIN!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

And the xbox 360 goes down AGAIN!

Post by bjornolf » April 16th, 2009, 10:37 am

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plug ... rs/1305435

I think Microsoft needs to scrap their piece of crap system and start over. Maybe let Apple build it.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: And the xbox 360 goes down AGAIN!

Post by DukeUsul » April 16th, 2009, 11:27 am

bjornolf wrote:http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plug ... rs/1305435

I think Microsoft needs to scrap their piece of crap system and start over. Maybe let Apple build it.
Well then it would cost twice as much. :))
-- DukeUsul
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 16th, 2009, 1:23 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Well then it would cost twice as much. :))
I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple partner with Sony or Nintendo. It seems like the natural progression towards a unified, entertainment/medida/gaming/computing system. One of these days, consoles go bye-bye.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 16th, 2009, 3:06 pm

DukeUsul wrote:

It very well might. But when you consider the millions that Microsoft has lost on all of the hardware failures (red ring of death, disk scratching, this new error), it might be worth it. I mean, I'd rather pay twice as much for a PS3 than a Xbox 360 and get twice the hardware power and utility with 1% of the headaches (in fact, that's just what I did).
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 16th, 2009, 3:34 pm

I went the XBox route because, of the three major consoles, it had the best combination of good games and value. PS3 is too expensive and Wii is great when you have a party, but otherwise loses some luster (solo Mario Kart just isn't the same).

Knock on wood, I've yet to have problems with my machine. If I do, however, I'll be wishing I had a PS3, especially since the only game I really play (Fallout 3) is available on that console.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » April 16th, 2009, 3:54 pm

bjornolf wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:

It very well might. But when you consider the millions that Microsoft has lost on all of the hardware failures (red ring of death, disk scratching, this new error), it might be worth it. I mean, I'd rather pay twice as much for a PS3 than a Xbox 360 and get twice the hardware power and utility with 1% of the headaches (in fact, that's just what I did).
So, because MSFT publicizes that it's doing the right thing wrt extending the warranty for its errors, you like them less? If you think other gaming consoles don't have hardware issues, you'd be mistaken.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 16th, 2009, 7:22 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:I went the XBox route because, of the three major consoles, it had the best combination of good games and value. PS3 is too expensive and Wii is great when you have a party, but otherwise loses some luster (solo Mario Kart just isn't the same).

Knock on wood, I've yet to have problems with my machine. If I do, however, I'll be wishing I had a PS3, especially since the only game I really play (Fallout 3) is available on that console.
You think it has the best value? Really? When you include the much more powerful processors (so within a couple years it will be pumping out far superior games once developers start actually exploring its potential) and the inclusion of a blu-ray player? I realize that some may not want a blu-ray player and DVD upconversion, but I love blu-rays personally. I had a friend that bought the stuff needed to give an Xbox basically PS3 functionality (upping the hard drive, adding an HD-DVD drive, and a few other little essentials) and he actually spent more than I did on my PS3. Plus my PS3 came with a $100 gift card. Sony's losing a decent amount of money on every unit sold. If that's not value, I don't know what is. Plus, it has MGS4, only one of the coolest games EVER!

I also love the Wii, as do my kids. The Lego games are SO much fun on it, as are the Metroid, Mario, and Zelda games. I even loved RE4 on it. The wii remote had GREAT targeting capabilities.

Anyway, I guess I'm just not an Xbox fan. I don't even like the controller for many games. Game Informer said it was a TERRIBLE controller for Fallout 3. Yes, they mentioned it by name for that.

And, no, I don't hold it against Microsoft for doing the right thing. I think it's great, but it's just what they SHOULD do. And it's ridiculous that you have to wait 6-8 weeks while they try to fix it depending on the problem. It's also crazy that Microsoft estimates that 1/3 of the units still on shelves could contain the red ring of death malfunction. Shouldn't they pull them and test them? No, I understand that the other consoles have their problems. It just bugs me that Microsoft gets praised for fixing a problem that THEY started by sending out a fleet of units of which over 50% were broken before they left the factory. They hurried to get this three year launch advantage, and they did it by sending out a shoddy product. It's just like what they do with their operating systems, it's just that a patch can't fix this problem.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
BlueDevilJay
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by BlueDevilJay » April 17th, 2009, 9:20 am

bjornolf wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:I went the XBox route because, of the three major consoles, it had the best combination of good games and value. PS3 is too expensive and Wii is great when you have a party, but otherwise loses some luster (solo Mario Kart just isn't the same).

You think it has the best value? Really? When you include the much more powerful processors (so within a couple years it will be pumping out far superior games once developers start actually exploring its potential) and the inclusion of a blu-ray player? I realize that some may not want a blu-ray player and DVD upconversion, but I love blu-rays personally. I had a friend that bought the stuff needed to give an Xbox basically PS3 functionality (upping the hard drive, adding an HD-DVD drive, and a few other little essentials) and he actually spent more than I did on my PS3. Plus my PS3 came with a $100 gift card. Sony's losing a decent amount of money on every unit sold. If that's not value, I don't know what is. Plus, it has MGS4, only one of the coolest games EVER!

I also love the Wii, as do my kids. The Lego games are SO much fun on it, as are the Metroid, Mario, and Zelda games. I even loved RE4 on it. The wii remote had GREAT targeting capabilities.

Anyway, I guess I'm just not an Xbox fan. I don't even like the controller for many games. Game Informer said it was a TERRIBLE controller for Fallout 3. Yes, they mentioned it by name for that.

And, no, I don't hold it against Microsoft for doing the right thing. I think it's great, but it's just what they SHOULD do. And it's ridiculous that you have to wait 6-8 weeks while they try to fix it depending on the problem. It's also crazy that Microsoft estimates that 1/3 of the units still on shelves could contain the red ring of death malfunction. Shouldn't they pull them and test them? No, I understand that the other consoles have their problems. It just bugs me that Microsoft gets praised for fixing a problem that THEY started by sending out a fleet of units of which over 50% were broken before they left the factory. They hurried to get this three year launch advantage, and they did it by sending out a shoddy product. It's just like what they do with their operating systems, it's just that a patch can't fix this problem.
AMEN!!! That's exactly why I stayed with PS when the next gen consoles came out, and bought a PS3. Yes, ALL consoles have their hardware problems, but other console's problems don't even compare to the garbage product that MS put out with XBox 360. While all my friends were hounding me about not getting a 360, I continued to enjoy my BR movies and playing my games, while they ALL (4 friends in total) had to wait the 6-8 week timeframe for their Red Ring of Death issue to be fixed. I've never had the slightest issue with my PS3 that a reformat didn't fix, and that was once, due to my error. I've never quite understood the whole product loyalty thing in this genre, when one product is so obviously more faulty than the other. Go PS3!!!! (for the fanboys)