I need help from the tech gurus PLEASE...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

I need help from the tech gurus PLEASE...

Post by bjornolf » January 8th, 2016, 11:19 am

I have an iPhone 5s 64GB which can't get service from Verizon. It's worked fine for about 20 months, then went nuts. I've tried all the apple steps except the full phone restore. My wife has the exact same phone I do on the same plan, so it's not the plan or the location. When we switch SIM cards, her phone works fine with my card, my phone doesn't work with her SIM card, so we know it's not the SIM cards. The ODD thing is if I take the phone all the way across town (about thirty miles in HORRIBLE DC traffic) to Tysons Corner Mall and hang out for about an hour, signal comes back. I'll have signal for about a week, even back home across town, then I'll get my phone off the charger one morning, and it'll say NO SERVICE again. Or if I turn the phone all the way off, it'll lose service. Tysons has magically restored my service three times now, and I've limped it along for about a month. So, my number one question is, any ideas? None of the "experts" seem to know. One of my friends says I'm getting a different "band" at Tysons, but even he says that wouldn't explain why I'm still getting it at home for a week after I go to the mall.

My second problem is that I'm trying to backup my phone to my iTunes on my computer so I can do the full phone reset. The problem is, iTunes wants to save my phone backup to my SDD drive that has my system data on it, which is only 250GB and is basically full. In fact, ALL of my programs seem to be saving to that drive! My 4TB hard drive is completely empty. So, I switched iTunes in advanced preferences to save the library to my D drive, but it STILL seems to be trying to save my backup to the C drive. How do I get iTunes to save to my D drive, and how do I get the REST of my programs to follow suit? On a related note, I noticed that my C drive has a bunch of USER data on it, public and private photo folders and stuff like that, that takes up about 50 GB. Can I just cut and paste that to the D drive to help my C drive get some room, or will that break some kind of data link and lose data and there's some special way I have to fix that?

I wouldn't bother you guys, but the normal routes I go through don't seem to be helping much and you guys ROCK!

Joe
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: I need help from the tech gurus PLEASE...

Post by bjornolf » January 8th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Not SDD, SSD. Sorry.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 8th, 2016, 5:37 pm

If it were anything other than Apple... :(
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 8th, 2016, 6:32 pm

As for the storage on my computer issues, my computer is a PC, not a Mac. Only the phone is Apple, so if you could solve my saving problem, I'd be grateful!
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 9th, 2016, 3:37 am

bjornolf wrote:I have an iPhone 5s 64GB which can't get service from Verizon. It's worked fine for about 20 months, then went nuts. I've tried all the apple steps except the full phone restore. My wife has the exact same phone I do on the same plan, so it's not the plan or the location. When we switch SIM cards, her phone works fine with my card, my phone doesn't work with her SIM card, so we know it's not the SIM cards. The ODD thing is if I take the phone all the way across town (about thirty miles in HORRIBLE DC traffic) to Tysons Corner Mall and hang out for about an hour, signal comes back. I'll have signal for about a week, even back home across town, then I'll get my phone off the charger one morning, and it'll say NO SERVICE again. Or if I turn the phone all the way off, it'll lose service. Tysons has magically restored my service three times now, and I've limped it along for about a month. So, my number one question is, any ideas? None of the "experts" seem to know. One of my friends says I'm getting a different "band" at Tysons, but even he says that wouldn't explain why I'm still getting it at home for a week after I go to the mall.

My second problem is that I'm trying to backup my phone to my iTunes on my computer so I can do the full phone reset. The problem is, iTunes wants to save my phone backup to my SDD drive that has my system data on it, which is only 250GB and is basically full. In fact, ALL of my programs seem to be saving to that drive! My 4TB hard drive is completely empty. So, I switched iTunes in advanced preferences to save the library to my D drive, but it STILL seems to be trying to save my backup to the C drive. How do I get iTunes to save to my D drive, and how do I get the REST of my programs to follow suit? On a related note, I noticed that my C drive has a bunch of USER data on it, public and private photo folders and stuff like that, that takes up about 50 GB. Can I just cut and paste that to the D drive to help my C drive get some room, or will that break some kind of data link and lose data and there's some special way I have to fix that?

I wouldn't bother you guys, but the normal routes I go through don't seem to be helping much and you guys ROCK!

Joe
Yes, you shlhould be able to cut/paste your userdata. Depending upon which version of OS, you can "reconnect" collections using the library functions.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 9th, 2016, 5:56 am

I have Windows 7.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 9th, 2016, 7:00 am

Take your IPhone to the Apple Store. There is an Apple Store at South Point Mall in Durham, and another in Greensboro. My daughter has been having some issues with her IPhone 5.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 18th, 2016, 9:23 am

Are you still under warranty? Bet they'd give you a new phone if you went in.
Love, Ima

PS Keep us posted.
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » January 18th, 2016, 5:29 pm

My guess is hardware. Since you swapped SIM cards successfully, I'm betting the device is bad. It happens to the best of us. I'd take both phones to Tysons, swap cards, and watch the bad phone fail.

{I did not sleep at Holiday Inn last night}

P.S. and I call BS on your friend and his theory about a "different band". The late Sun Ra and his Arkestra is a "different band" and don't think they have an opinion on smartphones...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."