Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Post by Lavabe » August 1st, 2009, 10:39 am

Best meals in northern Madagascar:
1) Barracuda au coco (Jaomaro's home)
2) Capitaine au vanille (Hassan's Coffee Shop)
3) Poulet(chicken) Biryani (Restaurant L'Ankarana)
4) Brochette de Capitaine (Hassan's Coffee Shop)
5) Sambosas from the lady who makes them at the Tafita grocery near the hotel.
6) The lentils and couscous at the new Hindu restaurant, La Compagnine.
7) Lasagna at The Diego Pasta Cafe
8) Steak au poivre verte ... at just about ANY place in town, but I'd go with Le Venille.
9) Bredes (greens) au coco... at my guide's home (featuring my favorite green, anambe)
10) Yaourt (yogurt) with Jus de corossol (soursop juice) at Restaurant L'Ankarana.

Funny, but the meal that stands out the most is the one made by Ms. Jaomaro back in Beanamalao. A simple dish, in simple conditions, but made with a lot of love and memories. You can't put that in a recipe.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 1st, 2009, 11:05 am

Lavabe wrote:4) Brochette de Capitaine (Hassan's Coffee Shop)
CORRECTION: Brochette de Thun Blanc (White Tuna)

Ymmm, Fish!! :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Re: I would like to be bumped

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2009, 3:04 am

On Tuesday, I am in a cramped 2 hour flight from Antsiranana to Antananarivo, the capital. On Tuesday evening, I am in a cramped flight from Antananarivo to Paris (13 hours). Fortunately, both flights are on Air Madagascar.

HERE'S the bad news. I then have a cramped 6-hour flight on UNITED from Paris to DC... middle seat. NO extra seats. UGH!! I then have a 1.5 hour commuter jet flight from Dulles to Cincy on UNITED.

Oh PLEASE............... do I hear a bump in my name? I am traveling alone, one checked bag. OH PLEASE!!!!!!

ILJ: Do you want me back happy, or do you want me kvetching? :-*

Folks: Please think of the old TV commercial with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar stuck in the middle seat in coach. If you have any other thoughts (besides those already expressed by CathyCA) as to what to do to increase my chances of being bumped, LET ME KNOW TODAY.

Thank you for your time and help,
Lavabe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: I would like to be bumped

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2009, 7:22 am

Lavabe wrote:On Tuesday, I am in a cramped 2 hour flight from Antsiranana to Antananarivo, the capital. On Tuesday evening, I am in a cramped flight from Antananarivo to Paris (13 hours). Fortunately, both flights are on Air Madagascar.

HERE'S the bad news. I then have a cramped 6-hour flight on UNITED from Paris to DC... middle seat. NO extra seats. UGH!! I then have a 1.5 hour commuter jet flight from Dulles to Cincy on UNITED.

Oh PLEASE............... do I hear a bump in my name? I am traveling alone, one checked bag. OH PLEASE!!!!!!

ILJ: Do you want me back happy, or do you want me kvetching? :-*

Folks: Please think of the old TV commercial with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar stuck in the middle seat in coach. If you have any other thoughts (besides those already expressed by CathyCA) as to what to do to increase my chances of being bumped, LET ME KNOW TODAY.

Thank you for your time and help,
Lavabe
You, sir, are no Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...

(slightly paraphrased from a famous presidential campaign phrase quote...)

BTW, folks, I've seen him play. :roll: ;)

And he's also not 7'2"...

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions :(. Legal ones anyway...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » August 2nd, 2009, 8:27 am

1. Are you checking in online? If so, see if you can change your seat then.
2. When you arrive at the check-in counter, ask again for a seat change (Bulkhead? Exit row? These are often not assigned until arrival at the airport). If no chance of either, ask if your seat can be changed. Be very nice in explaining why. I've found that at airports, nice=everything. It's not a guarantee, but it *really* helps. (Once I jokingly asked for an upgrade to first class going from Vegas to Columbus on a red eye. There were so many flights with problems that day & since I was nice to the lady at the counter, she said she was glad to actually be able to help someone that day and put me in first class!)
2a. Offer to take a bump. Ask that your name be put on the list.
3. Repeat 2 & 2a at the gate.

Good luck!
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 3rd, 2009, 12:22 am

Sue71 wrote:1. Are you checking in online? If so, see if you can change your seat then.
2. When you arrive at the check-in counter, ask again for a seat change (Bulkhead? Exit row? These are often not assigned until arrival at the airport). If no chance of either, ask if your seat can be changed. Be very nice in explaining why. I've found that at airports, nice=everything. It's not a guarantee, but it *really* helps. (Once I jokingly asked for an upgrade to first class going from Vegas to Columbus on a red eye. There were so many flights with problems that day & since I was nice to the lady at the counter, she said she was glad to actually be able to help someone that day and put me in first class!)
2a. Offer to take a bump. Ask that your name be put on the list.
3. Repeat 2 & 2a at the gate.

Good luck!
What she said. Get there early, and ask for the exit row, explaining the long legs. Be nice and sympathetic, and they will WANT to put you in that row and make you slightly more comfortable. I ask on behalf of my husband, and it works about 25% of the time (depending on how full the flight is, and how early I asked.)

Good luck! Safe travels!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Yes, indeed... lemurs

Post by Lavabe » August 3rd, 2009, 12:42 am

Voila... a crowned lemur:
CrownedFemaleC2.jpg
I believe these two were photographed with the aid of ... lasers. :mrgreen:
CrownedMaleHuddleC2VertFlash.jpg
More photos in a new photo album on Facebook.
Cheers,
Lavabe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 3rd, 2009, 8:40 am

Lavabe wrote:Voila... a crowned lemur:
CrownedFemaleC2.jpg
Cheers,
Lavabe
Cool! You can see the red lasers reflected in the two lemurs' eyes!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 3rd, 2009, 9:04 am

CrownedFemaleC2.jpg
Cheers,
Lavabe
Awesome pictures! I love the first one of the crowned lemur (naturally, since I am a princess ;) ).
I worship the Blue Devil!
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » August 5th, 2009, 3:29 pm

I just received a very welcome call from Dulles Airport. Lavabe is back safely in the States! He's stuck at the moment waiting for United to locate his bag. It was put on the plane in Paris, but can't be found at the moment. He can't go through customs without it of course. As for being bumped, he obviously wasn't. Though the flight was full, about 18 people didn't show up and they didn't have to bump anyone. He sounded fine. We are all waiting here for him.

ILJ
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 5th, 2009, 3:33 pm

CrownedFemaleC2.jpg
Cheers,
Lavabe
I love the pics!!!! :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 5th, 2009, 3:35 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:I just received a very welcome call from Dulles Airport. Lavabe is back safely in the States! He's stuck at the moment waiting for United to locate his bag. It was put on the plane in Paris, but can't be found at the moment. He can't go through customs without it of course. As for being bumped, he obviously wasn't. Though the flight was full, about 18 people didn't show up and they didn't have to bump anyone. He sounded fine. We are all waiting here for him.

ILJ
YAY!!!!! I bet you can't wait to see him!!!! Glad he made it back into familiar territory safely!!!! :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :-bd :-bd :-bd
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 3:37 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:I just received a very welcome call from Dulles Airport. Lavabe is back safely in the States! He's stuck at the moment waiting for United to locate his bag. It was put on the plane in Paris, but can't be found at the moment. He can't go through customs without it of course. As for being bumped, he obviously wasn't. Though the flight was full, about 18 people didn't show up and they didn't have to bump anyone. He sounded fine. We are all waiting here for him.

ILJ
Splendid! Wishes from Atlanta for the expeditious location of the bag and a joyous Freed family reunion.
Glad the big guy's safe.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 5th, 2009, 3:40 pm

ILJ
Yay!! Hope all goes well getting his bag, getting through customs, and getting home to you, LL, and Georgia. Happy Reunioning!!!
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 5th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Welcome home (almost), Lavabe. I hope United found your bag quickly so you can get on your way for the rest of the journey. If you continue on United, I hope they upgrade you to make up for losing your bag.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2009, 5:35 pm

ILJ
Put a couple fine ales in the fridge for him and a couple slices of pizza on your counter for your doggie's newest trick. :)) :))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 5th, 2009, 5:45 pm

Welcome back! I guess you didn't go out for Chutzpah Deli today?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 5th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Have a nice comfy bed, cool atmosphere and plenty of pillows on the bed to support his fine, large frame. (and some Barracuda meat)
That much travel can make the man lost. @-) Wouldn't be surprised to see myself end up riding the "luggage merry-go-round". x_x
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2009, 8:46 pm

YAY! I'm so happy for all of you that Lavabe is back home (almost).

Why am I not surprised that United couldn't find his bag? We all know that United breaks guitars. They probably lose bags, too.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Good word has it that he's back and was eating dinner about an hour ago. Rumor has it also that they have a nice buffet set out on the counters for their dog to consume just to show him what she learned while he was gone. :)) :)) =)) =))