LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » August 2nd, 2015, 5:07 pm

[quote="ArkieDukie"]Interesting interview. The person who would be my boss was too busy to come to my seminar. My only meeting with him was over dinner. After talking extensively in vague generalities, he offered me $10k less than I'm currently making. I told him this and also said I'm not sure how I fit into the picture. I got the impression that he was going to come up with more money, but I'm still not sure exactly what I would be doing or how I'm different from other members of the team. Seems as though the team has too many chiefs and not enough Indians, if you know what I mean. The final word was that I would get a formal offer sometime within the next two weeks. In summary, I did not feel the love. It was all very weird.[/q]

If nothing else it gives you a last chance to contact the old boss "I had not heard from you but wanted you to know I am considering a formal offer from NW and I if I accept that returning there is off the table. Ditto to the other option that surfaced...it might grease some wheels
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2015, 5:29 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Interesting interview. The person who would be my boss was too busy to come to my seminar. My only meeting with him was over dinner. After talking extensively in vague generalities, he offered me $10k less than I'm currently making. I told him this and also said I'm not sure how I fit into the picture. I got the impression that he was going to come up with more money, but I'm still not sure exactly what I would be doing or how I'm different from other members of the team. Seems as though the team has too many chiefs and not enough Indians, if you know what I mean. The final word was that I would get a formal offer sometime within the next two weeks. In summary, I did not feel the love. It was all very weird.
10K less, and a significant rise in the cost of living, and moving... and what seems to be a kooky situation with a boss who didn't attend your talk (as opposed to a kooky situation, 10K more, and no moving expenses). I'm with Windsor... follow up with StL!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 2nd, 2015, 5:48 pm

Thanks for the advice! I had been debating the follow-up but will go ahead and do so.

Since it is an incestuously small world, I got all sorts of dirt on my former lab. As it turns out, potential new group just completed a collaboration with my former boss, and getting information from him was like pulling teeth. In the end, former boss made a change in the authorship. Remember how a former coworker and I were doing NuBarbie's work? Well, this same former coworker is the person who did the bulk of the work, so his name was put on the paper. Former boss replaced his name with NuBarbie's on the manuscript. NuBarbie did not participate in any of the phone conferences, and my potential new coworker has not met NuBarbie to this day. It confirms what I always thought: outside our lab, NuBarbie is getting credit for work she did not do. I'm not sure what the hell kind of snow job she has pulled over on the former boss, but he still thinks she is great. Au contraire.

Secondly, people are now going outside Wash U because the former boss will not work with them. Yep - they definitely need me. Now, the question is, with all I know, do I want them?

Eta: new option knows of the interview. Will update with news of pending offer and see what happens.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 2nd, 2015, 8:29 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks for the advice! I had been debating the follow-up but will go ahead and do so.

Since it is an incestuously small world, I got all sorts of dirt on my former lab. As it turns out, potential new group just completed a collaboration with my former boss, and getting information from him was like pulling teeth. In the end, former boss made a change in the authorship. Remember how a former coworker and I were doing NuBarbie's work? Well, this same former coworker is the person who did the bulk of the work, so his name was put on the paper. Former boss replaced his name with NuBarbie's on the manuscript. NuBarbie did not participate in any of the phone conferences, and my potential new coworker has not met NuBarbie to this day. It confirms what I always thought: outside our lab, NuBarbie is getting credit for work she did not do. I'm not sure what the hell kind of snow job she has pulled over on the former boss, but he still thinks she is great. Au contraire.

Secondly, people are now going outside Wash U because the former boss will not work with them. Yep - they definitely need me. Now, the question is, with all I know, do I want them?

Eta: new option knows of the interview. Will update with news of pending offer and see what happens.
Keeping fingers cross and vibes going for the new possibility.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 2nd, 2015, 8:32 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Well, if they up the offer, are you interested in jumping a sinking ship? I phrased the question like that intentionally. :9f:
It will very much depend upon the nature of the job. The very worst option for me is staying in my current position. This could be next worst for several reasons, all based on the type of work I want to do. I have another option that came into the mix last week, but I am not at liberty to reveal any details at this point. If it happens, it is a very viable possibility with and could be the best of my options.
Positive vibes for the best option! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 2nd, 2015, 9:11 pm

AD, still vibing. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 3rd, 2015, 5:33 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:AD, still vibing. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Me, too!!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 3rd, 2015, 9:36 am

shereec wrote:
Me, too!!
Same here!
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 3rd, 2015, 11:59 am

Shoplifting case coming up. The witness statement from loss prevention begins, "I observed (defendant) suspiciously observing his surroundings in clothing." Thank God he was in clothing. I wouldn't want to see him nekkid.

BTW, he put steaks down his pants and tried to leave Walmart. :ymsick: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 3rd, 2015, 12:40 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Shoplifting case coming up. The witness statement from loss prevention begins, "I observed (defendant) suspiciously observing his surroundings in clothing." Thank God he was in clothing. I wouldn't want to see him nekkid.

Much harder to do if you aren't in clothing. :D

Adding to my bucket list - spend a day in court with LG.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 3rd, 2015, 12:50 pm

The idea that he thought WalMart steaks were worth stealing is grounds enough to lock him up away from the general public.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2015, 12:56 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Shoplifting case coming up. The witness statement from loss prevention begins, "I observed (defendant) suspiciously observing his surroundings in clothing." Thank God he was in clothing. I wouldn't want to see him nekkid.

The thoughts of huge slabs/pieces of meat in one's trousers, no, never mind; not going any further with this one :ymblushing: .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 3rd, 2015, 2:02 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
shereec wrote:
Me, too!!
Same here!
Triple that! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 3rd, 2015, 2:03 pm

devildeac wrote:

The thoughts of huge slabs/pieces of meat in one's trousers, no, never mind; not going any further with this one :ymblushing: .
OMG These folks in your courtroom are beyond crazy! I'm with DinK - we're coming for a day of entertainment! =))
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2015, 8:18 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

Much harder to do if you aren't in clothing. :D

Adding to my bucket list - spend a day in court with LG.
Me too.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2015, 8:20 pm

windsor wrote:The idea that he thought WalMart steaks were worth stealing is grounds enough to lock him up away from the general public.
Very good point.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2015, 8:20 pm

devildeac wrote:

=)) =)) =)) :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2015, 8:28 pm

Thanks for the vibes, all! I have a few follow-up notes. First, it sounds like St. Louis isn't coming through in time. Second, my friend says that he took a pay cut to work at NW, but he didn't have to move. I reminded him of no state income tax in TX plus bump in cost of living. He also said the strangeness in the interview is characteristic of his boss. I'm not sure if I could deal with that. So, option 3 looking pretty good. I told a friend of the situation; she thinks it is the best one by far. Time will reveal...
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 4th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Over 24 hours since a post. We're slack. :D
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 4th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Over 24 hours since a post. We're slack. :D
Yes, we are. Everyone should do 10 pushups.