Art Agent

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Art Agent

Post by wilson » May 27th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Congrats indeed, CB&B, and may I say I love your stuff. Probably my favorite is "Atlantic Beach Waterfront."
I've begun building a modest art collection of sorts over the past 15 years or so, beginning with a painting or other work of art (however small or inexpensive it may be) every time I take a trip. I have held to that tradition since I was 12, and in recent years, I've begun adding to my collection with prints and other things for birthday/Christmas gifts, etc. My collection is populated with a number of water/boat scenes (What can I say? Maritime historian and all...), and I will seriously consider that one for my next acquisition. At any rate, well done. :ymapplause: :ymparty:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2009, 7:42 pm

The Beach Babes asked me how this was working out, to which I could only reply "Ok, I guess". I can now change that to "maybe something good".
I recieved an email from an NYC gallery, which most of the body of follows...

"Greetings! I trust you are well and your summer is pleasant. Recently, we, at the New Art Center became familiar with your work thanks to a promotional mailing we received. After reviewing your work online we have determined that your creative ideas and/or concepts agree with our current artistic direction. As a result, we are pleased to extend to you an opportunity for gallery representation including a solo exhibition.
This opportunity is made possible thanks to the generous support of a privately held foundation. While this sponsorship may not cover the full cost of the exhibition, it will definitively help to lower it to a very reasonable amount. However, as with all grants there is a deadline to apply, so the sooner we hear from you, the better the chance to secure your grant."

So I called this guy tonight, and my first question was about the mailing, who was it from? He responded that it was from my agent (I have emailed her as well, I could have totally bypassed her since he contacted me, but I'm a good person...kharma) and we talked for about a half hour. Before I made the call, I Googled out the wazoo..usually it only takes a tenth of wazoo to find a scam, he came up only positive and with some pretty strong looking works. There is a catch of course...always is. The "may not cover the full cost of the exhibition" covers advertising for the show itself in NYC media and a few national magazines. The cost he quoted me was more than I can cough up, but at the same time really reasonable. I look at all of this as promotion..if I set up a tent at any street fair it will cost anywhere from $200-$400....for two days...outside, and it might rain! In this case, I will have to give up about $2500 to have a dedicated space in NYC for a little over 3 weeks. Luckily I have family there, and he strongly encouraged me to ask them to come down and talk on my behalf, as well as check out the space. I'm going to ask them to check it out if they can, and then I'm gonna offer "free" paintings for help gathering up the funds. That is if I decide to do it.
--
Anyways, I have not decided anything, but at the very least it's encouraging to get interest. IF I do decide to do it, the show would be sometime around May or June of next year. Here is the website of the gallery.
http://www.newartcenter.net Any advice and suggestions welcome.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 31st, 2009, 10:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:The Beach Babes asked me how this was working out, to which I could only reply "Ok, I guess". I can now change that to "maybe something good".
I recieved an email from an NYC gallery, which most of the body of follows...

"Greetings! I trust you are well and your summer is pleasant. Recently, we, at the New Art Center became familiar with your work thanks to a promotional mailing we received. After reviewing your work online we have determined that your creative ideas and/or concepts agree with our current artistic direction. As a result, we are pleased to extend to you an opportunity for gallery representation including a solo exhibition.
This opportunity is made possible thanks to the generous support of a privately held foundation. While this sponsorship may not cover the full cost of the exhibition, it will definitively help to lower it to a very reasonable amount. However, as with all grants there is a deadline to apply, so the sooner we hear from you, the better the chance to secure your grant."

So I called this guy tonight, and my first question was about the mailing, who was it from? He responded that it was from my agent (I have emailed her as well, I could have totally bypassed her since he contacted me, but I'm a good person...kharma) and we talked for about a half hour. Before I made the call, I Googled out the wazoo..usually it only takes a tenth of wazoo to find a scam, he came up only positive and with some pretty strong looking works. There is a catch of course...always is. The "may not cover the full cost of the exhibition" covers advertising for the show itself in NYC media and a few national magazines. The cost he quoted me was more than I can cough up, but at the same time really reasonable. I look at all of this as promotion..if I set up a tent at any street fair it will cost anywhere from $200-$400....for two days...outside, and it might rain! In this case, I will have to give up about $2500 to have a dedicated space in NYC for a little over 3 weeks. Luckily I have family there, and he strongly encouraged me to ask them to come down and talk on my behalf, as well as check out the space. I'm going to ask them to check it out if they can, and then I'm gonna offer "free" paintings for help gathering up the funds. That is if I decide to do it.
--
Anyways, I have not decided anything, but at the very least it's encouraging to get interest. IF I do decide to do it, the show would be sometime around May or June of next year. Here is the website of the gallery.
http://www.newartcenter.net Any advice and suggestions welcome.
How much time do you have before your answer is deadlined?
I have a friend that has done gallery exhibits in NY. His input may be worthy. *-:)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2009, 10:17 pm

captmojo wrote: How much time do you have before your answer is deadlined?
I have a friend that has done gallery exhibits in NY. His input may be worthy. *-:)
I've got a little bit of time. I'm open for input from anywhere.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 31st, 2009, 10:31 pm

Here's the guy. He comes over to visit weekly. He doesn't get out as often as he used to, triple by-pass in early June.
http://detour.webdatabases.net/artist_d ... rtID=10199
Of course you're in different idioms but he's seen the business side from up there.
I'll be glad to pass on his experiences.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 1st, 2009, 2:25 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I'd be interested in putting together/contributing to a "CT consortium" to fund you the $2500 (for a portion of the sales, if any). Sort of like backing a fledgling pro golfer looking to go out on tour needing someone to front the expenses in return for a percentage of winnings. A win/win proposition! What do you think?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2009, 3:12 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I'd be interested in putting together/contributing to a "CT consortium" to fund you the $2500 (for a portion of the sales, if any). Sort of like backing a fledgling pro golfer looking to go out on tour needing someone to front the expenses in return for a percentage of winnings. A win/win proposition! What do you think?
That would be awesome and appreciated, but let me find out some more info on it. I need to look at the proposal he is sending first, and I want the agent's input on it, since she would be more familiar with this than I. But to your interest, thanks very much. I'll keep everyone up to date.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 2nd, 2009, 10:43 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I was thinking along those same lines. Keep us posted CB&B.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 2nd, 2009, 10:49 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I'd be interested in putting together/contributing to a "CT consortium" to fund you the $2500 (for a portion of the sales, if any). Sort of like backing a fledgling pro golfer looking to go out on tour needing someone to front the expenses in return for a percentage of winnings. A win/win proposition! What do you think?
I was thinking along those same lines. Keep us posted CB&B.
A Duke buddy of mine has done a similar thing to raise his entry fee for the World Series of Poker. It worked out pretty well; he's now competed in the WSOP a couple of times and won nearly $400,000 in 2007.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 3rd, 2009, 8:24 am

wilson wrote: A Duke buddy of mine has done a similar thing to raise his entry fee for the World Series of Poker. It worked out pretty well; he's now competed in the WSOP a couple of times and won nearly $400,000 in 2007.
If I sell $400K worth of paintings, I'll take everyone to Duke-Carolina game in Cameron.
I heard from the agent again this weekend, and she's hoping to have some info for me about what she finds in the next couple days.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2009, 11:09 am

wilson wrote: A Duke buddy of mine has done a similar thing to raise his entry fee for the World Series of Poker. It worked out pretty well; he's now competed in the WSOP a couple of times and won nearly $400,000 in 2007.
If I sell $400K worth of paintings, I'll take everyone to Duke-Carolina game in Cameron.
I heard from the agent again this weekend, and she's hoping to have some info for me about what she finds in the next couple days.
We'll be down at the coast for the 3rd and 4th weekends of August. I think it's about time we start making contributions to this endeavor. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 4th, 2009, 5:00 pm

For now, I have turne the guy down. My agent did some researching for me, going as far as to talk to another artist who has shown there. The main deciding factor of course was cash, which was more than I had expected. They wanted $3,500 for the advertising promotion stuff, which for a month long show still does not sound bad, but at the same time it's still a lot of money. Here is the way the agent left it in her last email...

"She (the other artist who showed previously) couldn't believe it when I told her today's price, which I do not like. Also, the other thing is wanting the money 10 months in advance.

So, given that my recommendation is not to get involved. There will be other galleries.

Regards, (my agent.)"

It was great to be able to rely on her knowledge for sound advice. Thanks to anyone who offered help, I really appreciate any and all support. As she said, there will be others.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 4th, 2009, 5:06 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:For now, I have turne the guy down. My agent did some researching for me, going as far as to talk to another artist who has shown there. The main deciding factor of course was cash, which was more than I had expected. They wanted $3,500 for the advertising promotion stuff, which for a month long show still does not sound bad, but at the same time it's still a lot of money. Here is the way the agent left it in her last email...

"She (the other artist who showed previously) couldn't believe it when I told her today's price, which I do not like. Also, the other thing is wanting the money 10 months in advance.

So, given that my recommendation is not to get involved. There will be other galleries.

Regards, (my agent.)"

It was great to be able to rely on her knowledge for sound advice. Thanks to anyone who offered help, I really appreciate any and all support. As she said, there will be others.
Sounds like the agent was a good choice. Vibes heading your way for an even better opportunity ahead of you.
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 4th, 2009, 5:24 pm

devildeac wrote:
We'll be down at the coast for the 3rd and 4th weekends of August. I think it's about time we start making contributions to this endeavor. :D
I concur! I also want some paintings for my walls!!!! I am repainting!!!! B-)
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 4th, 2009, 5:39 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:For now, I have turne the guy down. My agent did some researching for me, going as far as to talk to another artist who has shown there. The main deciding factor of course was cash, which was more than I had expected. They wanted $3,500 for the advertising promotion stuff, which for a month long show still does not sound bad, but at the same time it's still a lot of money. Here is the way the agent left it in her last email...

Regards, (my agent.)"

Sounds like the agent was a good choice. Vibes heading your way for an even better opportunity ahead of you.
Yea, that sounded a little fishy to me too, but I don't know anything about art. I just know that in the book business, never trust anybody that wants you to pay in advance.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 5th, 2009, 7:49 am

Whew! I was feeling a little nervous about this, CB&B. We all know vibes are powerful things, and the ones I was getting from this "gallery"s airwaves just didn't make me feel good. You were so smart to do some good research before jumping in.
Are you being represented anywhere at the moment? Seems like there are great galleries closer to home you'd be more comfortable with. You are building up quite a portfolio. I suspect you'll be loading them up and visiting galleries with them soon. As always, keep us posted. %%-
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 5th, 2009, 8:43 am

I haven't seen my friend Benny, to ask him of his experiences. He hasn't been over in a while. Evidently, he currently has his own garden producing. He was regularly coming around to collect stuff from ours. (BTW, I have a black thumb. The First Mate handles all the gardening stuff)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 5th, 2009, 8:51 am

The gallery and the offer were legitimate, we just didn't like the terms. Here is the website of the gallery.
http://www.cannyc.com/
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 5th, 2009, 6:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:The gallery and the offer were legitimate, we just didn't like the terms. Here is the website of the gallery.
http://www.cannyc.com/
Yeah, they do look good. That's not the site I got when I googled. I think you should feel really good about the fact that they contacted you.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 8th, 2009, 6:53 pm

I still haven't seen Benny but his wife just left here 20 minutes ago. I asked her about their NY gallery experience. Her answers follow.
The gallery was in Soho, I forgot the name.
They didn't use an agent. The theory was that if the gallery asked for your appearance, then it was all costs on them. If it was your call, then your dime.
They asses at the gallery then censored his art. This, of course, caused great troubles. Paintings were covered and/or defaced. NOT COOL.
His sales were profitable but his troubles with the gallery has led him to disavow them from now on, unless it's all on his terms.
Right now, his sales are stagnant while he recuperates from his heart surgery, yet he's still working, building inventory.(as if he needs it)
She says that when he's ready, all business will take place via internet. (E-Bay and so forth)
Sounds like you have an agent that is looking out for your best interests.

I'm not the King of Don't give a Shit, but I know him! :))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUui7l2HcM4