Video Game Recommendation?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Video Game Recommendation?

Post by colchar » August 4th, 2009, 12:38 pm

Can anyone here recommend a decent air fighting video game? I'd prefer a World War II themed game but something more modern would also suffice. I'd rather not get a game in which you have to fly around for ages before you find the enemy - I just want to shoot shit and blow planes out of the sky. I have a PS2 and an Xbox but there is also an Xbox 360 in the house so I'm looking for a game for any of those platforms.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Video Game Recommendation?

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 1:12 pm

colchar wrote:Can anyone here recommend a decent air fighting video game? I'd prefer a World War II themed game but something more modern would also suffice. I'd rather not get a game in which you have to fly around for ages before you find the enemy - I just want to shoot shit and blow planes out of the sky. I have a PS2 and an Xbox but there is also an Xbox 360 in the house so I'm looking for a game for any of those platforms.
Ace Combat. It's kinda weak in the realism because there are unlimited machine gun rounds and 40+ air to ground and air to air missiles. But the graphics are great, the play control is great and there's a decent storyline. Bonus: it's an older title for the PS2 so you should get it for cheap.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Stay away from Top Gun.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 4th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Supposedly THE best air combat game out right now is H.A.W.X. I think it's a Clancy game. It's on the Xbox 360, as well as the PS3 and the PC. Every review I've seen of it says it is just da bomb.

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs= ... clk=search

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 4th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Miles wrote:Stay away from Top Gun.
QFE
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 4th, 2009, 2:50 pm

CellR wrote:
QFE
Um, what does "QFE" mean? I assume you're not talking about the aeronautic definition.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » August 4th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Miles wrote:
colchar wrote:Can anyone here recommend a decent air fighting video game? I'd prefer a World War II themed game but something more modern would also suffice. I'd rather not get a game in which you have to fly around for ages before you find the enemy - I just want to shoot shit and blow planes out of the sky. I have a PS2 and an Xbox but there is also an Xbox 360 in the house so I'm looking for a game for any of those platforms.
Ace Combat. It's kinda weak in the realism because there are unlimited machine gun rounds and 40+ air to ground and air to air missiles. But the graphics are great, the play control is great and there's a decent storyline. Bonus: it's an older title for the PS2 so you should get it for cheap.
Yes - I had this years ago for PS2 - it was AWESOME!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 4th, 2009, 3:06 pm

My friend likes Blazing Angels, but I'm not overly familiar with it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 4th, 2009, 3:08 pm

bjornolf wrote:
CellR wrote:
QFE
Um, what does "QFE" mean? I assume you're not talking about the aeronautic definition.

%%-
Quote For Emphasis
:D
Class of 2014
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Shammrog wrote:
Miles wrote:
Yes - I had this years ago for PS2 - it was AWESOME!
Yeah seriously. The campiness kinda grows on you and in the end I did enjoy having 40 missiles, rather than 4. :D It may be even worth it to get the whole series. You know what. Hell, I'll just mail you my copy olchar. I really don't play my PS2 that much. PM your address and I'll send you Ace Combat 5.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 3:17 pm

CellR wrote:
QFE
Could there have been a bigger disappointment?
sMiles
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » August 4th, 2009, 3:18 pm

bjornolf wrote:My friend likes Blazing Angels, but I'm not overly familiar with it.

%%-
I have it for the Wii, and like it. Usually in the 19.99 bargain bin too.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 4th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Miles wrote: Yeah seriously. The campiness kinda grows on you and in the end I did enjoy having 40 missiles, rather than 4. :D It may be even worth it to get the whole series. You know what. Hell, I'll just mail you my copy olchar. I really don't play my PS2 that much. PM your address and I'll send you Ace Combat 5.
That's really generous of you - thanks. I'll pop you a PM in a few minutes.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 4th, 2009, 3:50 pm

My roommate's brother is over and he was just talking about some flight simulation game developed by George Lucas' company which he said was tons of fun. Apparently it takes place during WW II and, when you finish the game, you unlock Star Wars vehicles (Millennium Falcon etc.) and can redo the game using them. I'm going to have to try to find the name of it. My roommate just sold me his Xbox for a case of beer so now I own that and my PS2 so I can search for it on either of those platforms. Plus, we have his Xbox 360 in the house so I can buy it for that if I find it.

I'd also love to find a version of the original Star Wars game from the arcade. From what I understand it is available as a bonus on a current Star Wars game for GameCube but I'd love to find the actual game itself. Here is a link to it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayw6LbAWIk4
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 4:14 pm

colchar wrote:My roommate's brother is over and he was just talking about some flight simulation game developed by George Lucas' company which he said was tons of fun. Apparently it takes place during WW II and, when you finish the game, you unlock Star Wars vehicles (Millennium Falcon etc.) and can redo the game using them. I'm going to have to try to find the name of it. My roommate just sold me his Xbox for a case of beer so now I own that and my PS2 so I can search for it on either of those platforms. Plus, we have his Xbox 360 in the house so I can buy it for that if I find it.

I'd also love to find a version of the original Star Wars game from the arcade. From what I understand it is available as a bonus on a current Star Wars game for GameCube but I'd love to find the actual game itself. Here is a link to it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayw6LbAWIk4
Ugh! I know exactly what game you're talking about RE: George Lucas flight simulator. I can't remember the name either! I also seem to remember the guys who made Call of Duty making a more realistic (weapons, payload, fuel, etc.) WWII simulator. Googling...
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 4th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... arcade.htm

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » August 4th, 2009, 5:45 pm

bjornolf wrote:Is this the one you're looking for?

%%-
Kudos!!! Vector graphics rule.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 4th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Is this the one you're looking for?

%%-
Kudos!!! Vector graphics rule.

That is it - and it is a blast.

Now I just have to figure out the name of the other flight simulator game I mentioned in a previous post.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 4th, 2009, 10:04 pm

colchar wrote:Now I just have to figure out the name of the other flight simulator game I mentioned in a previous post.
I tried to google it. I was able to find several articles mentioning a lucasarts game that involved air combat in WWII that was slated to come out in 2003. However, I couldn't find ANYTHING that actually mentioned its final name. It's like it never came out. Got dumped before release, which does happen sometimes. They mentioned "Battlehawks 1942", "Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain", and "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe", but these were all older games that came before this 2002 press release about the WWII game you mentioned.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 5th, 2009, 12:24 pm

bjornolf wrote:
colchar wrote:Now I just have to figure out the name of the other flight simulator game I mentioned in a previous post.
I tried to google it. I was able to find several articles mentioning a lucasarts game that involved air combat in WWII that was slated to come out in 2003. However, I couldn't find ANYTHING that actually mentioned its final name. It's like it never came out. Got dumped before release, which does happen sometimes. They mentioned "Battlehawks 1942", "Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain", and "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe", but these were all older games that came before this 2002 press release about the WWII game you mentioned.

%%-

I'll ask him again when he is over later today. Maybe he'll remember it. The game he's referring to was definitely released because he described it to me and his brother (my roommate) told me he used to play it for hours on end.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------