Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Blade and Sheath Farmhouse Ale (draft)-Burial Beer

More local stuff!

A bit of a twist on a typical saison as they racked it with high alpha hops including Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy which gave it some winey, musty notes to accompany tastes and scents of apples and pears. Light yellow color with IBUs of 33 and ABV of 6%, this screams to be sipped with a fruit plate or light fish with a mango or pineapple salsa.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Haysaw Amber Saison (draft)-Burial Beer

Yep, more native stuff! (not that Native)

A bit more body than the prior two saisons, this was a cloudy orange-amber hue with floral and bready scents and tastes of toasty croissants drizzled with light caramel sauce and some orange zest. No way this had IBUs of 80 (more like 40) and the ABV stated on the menu is 6% but the paintboard had 7%. "Pair me with some mahi-mahi, some stir-fried veggies and a light cream sauce," my 4 ounce sample whispered to me.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Rosary Export Stout (draft)-Burial Beer

More local stuff!

On to the heavyweights. Made with a generous amount of black and brown (?) malts, this is their take on a Belgian stout with a bit of spice, a pinch of coffee, a drizzle of milk chocolate in the nose and on the palate. With IBUs of 35 and ABV of 6.7%, this dark brown ale with a creamy, tan head would be at home with a rack of ribs or a smoked brisket.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2015, 11:21 pm

Thumbscrews (draft)-Burial Beer

Leftover review from my Tuesday night sampler of 6-four ounce beers with ricks68. It's an imperial black sesame IPA that was brewed in collabeeration with Adriot Theory in VA (did not search for that one). Black in the glass with a small, creamy head, with coffee, plums and licorice aromas and orange, chocolate, grapefruit and toasted pumpernickel rye bread tastes. Brewed with black sesame seeds, chocolate rye and midnight wheat malts. Hops include Simcoe, Mosaic and Sorachi Ace that impart dry and spicy notes. IBUs over the top at 100 but balanced nicely with ABV at 9%. Ricks68 doesn't like IPAs or IIPAs but found this very tasty and minimally bitter. This would pair well with a black pepper-based rub on a filet or a brisket.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 15th, 2015, 6:13 am

Battle Axe (draft)-Burial Beer

Final tasting from the sampler.

Arrived in a 4 ounce glass with a very small head. Smells of slightly charred dark brown sugar, table syrup and dark, dried fruits. Tastes of the same with perhaps a bit of chocolate and rum. It's described as a Belgian strong ale and most resembled the quadruple style. Hop profile is minimal even though IBUs stated at 54. ABV on menu is 9% but on the chalkboard at 10.8%, their strongest beer. Pretty much a dessert beverage and an excellent one to finish the sampling session.
mattman91
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by mattman91 » May 16th, 2015, 10:06 am

Oh my God. Another Ymm, Beer thread. I'm so late to the party.
:obscene-drinkingbuddies:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 16th, 2015, 3:23 pm

mattman91 wrote:Oh my God. Another Ymm, Beer thread. I'm so late to the party.
DevilDeac is 13000 posts ahead of you, and most are in the Ymm Beer thread.

Welcome! :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2015, 8:36 pm

Welcome (back) to CTN, young man. Great to spend time with you last PM. Thanks for the suggestions and beer tour. You'll find a lot of duplicate posts here and on DBR. Gotta keep the folks here updated and edjumacated about hops and malts.

And, for good measure:

:spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork: :spork:

Your first 10 sporks on on me :ymblushing: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2015, 11:14 pm

Saison of Love (draft)-One World Brewing

More from the Asheville Tour D'Beer.

The cloudy yellow-orange color and modest, creamy head makes this a bit different from the typical Belgian farmhouse ale. I believe they use orange zest and coriander as additives to go along with Mt. Hood and Tettnang hops for bittering and finish the hopping with Czech Saaz hops. The latter two are fairly common European (stretch 4) varieties and impart floral aromas and tastes. No malts are named but they'd likely be from the pale or pils/carapils families with some wheat added giving the ale some more orange tastes and aromas. Belgian yeast lends some spiciness to the mix. I'd venture IBUs in the 20-30 range and the ABV was listed at 7.8%, perhaps a tad high for the style but not enough to make this a boozy tasting drink. This would be pleasant with light chicken or seafood entrees or some light pre-dinner fare. Tip of the tulip to ricks68 for suggesting I order this on my visit to the subterranean location of this small barrel brewery.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2015, 11:22 pm

White Zombie-Catawba Brewing

Small sample as I left the hotel yesterday for an afternoon walk. Didn't want to get dehydrated in the warm, humid mountain air. It's a Belgian wit style ale, aka a Belgian single. That means it's a fairly light colored and bodied brew with a cloudy yellow-straw hue and pleasant bouquet of citrus and flowers. Spiced and flavored with orange peel and coriander as many singles are, this had little hop bite (IBUs likely 10-20 range) and slightly sweet, citrusy and spicy flavors with the ABV at 5.1%. This is their signature beer and I'd rather have a Hoeegarden (sp?), but it was a nice "thirst quencher" before a vigorous walk.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 17th, 2015, 8:39 am

Le Sexxxy-Catawba Brewing

This was a thirst-quenching 3-4 ounce sample after a 30-40 minute walk in the mountains at 75 degrees and 70-80% humidity before heading to downtown Asheville with ricks68 and mattman91. It's a saison but with a bit of a different take as it more resembled a cross between a farmhouse ale and an amber. The color was a light orange-amber with a modest fizzy head when poured from a 12 ounce can. Aromas of orange, toasted bread and light brown sugar syrup with somewhat different perceptions on the palate of overripe pears and apples in addition to orange peel, dark honey, baked croissants and a bit of spiciness from the 5 Belgian yeasts used in the brewing process. I thought it slightly bitter for the style, estimating 20-30 IBUs with the ABV at 7.8%, also a bit high for this type of ale. This would make a nice porch rocker beverage on a warm spring/summer day or nicely accompany a plate of fresh fruits before or after dinner. I got to chat with the owner (unbeknownst to me at the time) a few minutes about Catawba Brewing and he made sure to invite us to their brewery and tasting room on Asheville's flourishing South Slope after all of us ate dinner that evening. More about that later...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 17th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Friday night beer night in Asheville with ricks68, his lovely bride, the vivacious Mrs. dd and the handsome and very congenial mattman91 but no Amused Cupcake as she couldn't get off work to join us. Many, many thanks of course to ricks68 and mattman for guiding/hosting our 2.5 hour walking/tasting tour of the South Slope, especially to ricks68 as he provided both mattman and me with car magnets for "his" soon-to-open brewhouse so we wouldn't get towed from his new parking lot.

Sour Zombie-Catawba Brewing

Almost completely different product than the White Zombie but with a similar base recipe/concept I imagine. This was a clean, clear, bright yellow and had a minimal head. It represents their sour, aged version of the same white ale/Belgian witbier as above but the orange, citrus and spiced notes were very minimal. This was aged in Jack Daniels barrels for several months but had no boozy characteristics and was almost completely vinous in aroma and flavors. I met Bill, the owner of the brewery (well, actually 3 with one in Morganton and 2 in Asheville) again in their "back room" which was basically the back of their warehouse with 24 taps up front and 5 in the back of their aged beers. He explained that after several "runnings" of their (or any brewers') products, that the subsequent products will take on more of the characteristics of the particular type of wood used in the barrels instead of their original contents. So, this sour ale was just that as they used Lactobacillus for additional fermentation as they aged in the (I'm guessing) cedar or lighter oak barrels and the final product had much more chardonnay or pinot grigio flavors than bourbon or even a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Sill light on the IBUs, guessing 10-20, but with a higher ABV at 6.8% and the $2 pour of 4 ounces was dangerously sippable. Quite a puckery and pleasant start of our desserts/tastings.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 17th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Hooligan Scotch Ale, Jim Beam Barrel Aged (draft)-Catawba Brewing

Not many brewers make a quality Scotch ale. My favorites were always McEwans, Sam Adams (really?) and Traquair House Ale. I'm not sure if the first or second are brewed any more and the third one is about $8-9 I think for a 330 ml bottle. So, when I saw this one available and remembered that ricks68 had tasted it previously, it was quite easy to select for my 2nd 4 ounce taster for $2. Everything a Scotch ale should be is included here, plus the BBA. Dark, dark brown in color with a small, tan head, dark caramel and brown sugar, smoke and dark, dried fruits are all present up front and throughout the tasting along with some milk chocolate and toffee. The whiskey notes were prominent but not overpowering and the finish was smooth. I'll postulate 30 on the IBUs as this is a monster malt forward ale with ABV on the chalkboard at a stunning 11.4%, especially high as most Scotch ales are 6-8%. If available in bottles, I'd buy several. I'm not sure I'd "corrupt" this one with any desserts, though it might be decadent to drizzle an ounce or two over a bread pudding.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 17th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Rainmaker (draft)-Green Man Brewing

Amazingly, we found another brewery after visiting Catawba Brewing on the South Slope. I got the impression that Green Man is one of mattman's favorites in Beer City, USA. This IIPA is an absolute hop monster. I bought a half pour (8-10 ounces) for $6 and received an almost clear, gold-yellow snifter full of Citra, Chinook, Cascade and Simcoe-laced grapefruity juiciness. Incredible nose of freshly squeezed Star Ruby goodness, mostly from the Simcoe hops I'd guess. The palate is blasted with more citrus flavors and just enough light caramel sweetness to balance the hop explosion. Mattman and I both guessed 100+ IBUs and their website quotes 158 IBUs (no typo). Holy Humulus! That would make this the hoppiest ale I've ever tasted. Most people also believe that anything over 100 IBUs can't be discerned/differentiated by the palate. ABV was listed on the chalkboard at 9.8%, clearly placing this in the DIPA category. This would pair well with anything hot and spicy. We saw bombers for sale and I almost bought 2 but knew what mattman and ricks68 already had loaded into my car before leaving the restaurant to share with fuse, so I exercised the miniscule amount of restraint I had remaining and left the Visa card safely in my wallet.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 17th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Welcome, Mattman91!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2015, 8:51 am

Troeganator-Troegs Brewing

Prosit!

In the tradition of bocks and double/doppelbocks, this is a strong lager at 8.2%, keeping it in the double category. It displays notes of toasted wheat bread laced with dark caramel, brown sugar, cherries, milk chocolate and a bit of toffee, both on the nose and upon sipping. Almost syrupy, this clear, bronze-brown elixir should be served lightly chilled and its flavors are enhanced as it warms. As it is very lightly hopped, the high gravity shines and warms as you enjoy your 12 ounce bottled serving from a shaker pint glass. Here are the brewer's stats:

Alcohol by Volume: 8.2%
Hop Bitterness (IBUs): 25
Color (SRM): Bronze
Availability: Year Round
Malts: Pilsner, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Magnum, German Northern Brewer
Yeast: Lager
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Salamander Slam-Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville, NC)

This was a "make-up beer" from mattman91 last week on our visit to Beer City, USA. He did warn me of a couple things about this IPA but I drank it anyway. Poured a cloudy orange color with a minimal head, partially because of gentle decanting due to the warning of particulates in the ale and partly because it's not very carbonated. Aromas of peach, apricot, mango and orange with tastes of the same. Did I mention the particles? Bitterness was modest and rated at 73 and was reasonably balanced with an ABV of 7%, both pretty standard for an IPA. Heady Topper suggests drinking from the can so as to not disturb the "hop resins" if I'm not misremembering from my 16 ounce serving last summer. To be clear, this is not a rival/competitor to one of the best beers I've ever tasted but it's a reference point. I wouldn't go to Waynesville to seek out a draft of this nor would I choose it off a shelf if I ever saw it again, but I'm a beer hunter so I sincerely appreciate mattman91 including this in his box last week as he thought of brews fuse and I might not find in the Raleigh area. So, in conclusion, not bad enough to include in the Ycch, Beer thread but not one I'd drink again. But, I must admit, I did have a Shiva chilled also just in case I found the Salamander unpalatable as mattman thought I might and couldn't/wouldn't finish the entire 16 ounces.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2015, 10:12 pm

Shiva-Asheville Brewing (and Pizza) Company

It's mattman91 time as he tossed a 12 ounce can of this IPA into my goodie box last week. Poured an attractive orange-yellow with a modest, fluffy head. The first impression is of fresh tropical fruits and a bit of grapefruit. Tastes are mild guava, papaya and mango with a light sweetness. Contents include:
Malts: Pale, Wheat & Munich
Hops: Columbus & Liberty

ABV on the can is 6% and I was real close on IBUs, guessing about 70 with the stated # at 69 on their website, so it's fairly well balanced. It'd be a good beverage to serve with grilled fare, even if it had a bit of spice and/or pepper in it. I think this is one of their signature beers, along with their award winning Ninja Porter, and I can certainly understand the reasons.

A thank you and tip of the pint glass to one of our Asheville brew crew!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2015, 10:37 pm

Oat of This World-Mattman91 Small Brewing Consortium

It's mattman91 night! I'm finishing a bomber of his oatmeal stout tonight that I started last PM that he was kind enough to share during our recent visit to Beer City, USA. Poured an almost black hue with a light tan, foamy head. Heavily/darkly roasted malts on the nose with iced coffee and milk chocolate tastes that became even smoother as tonight's portion (16 oz) warmed to near room temperature. I'll guess a moderate grain bill with heavy emphasis on chocolate and black malts with a medium dose of hops, maybe Cascade and Chinook or Centennial. I'll estimate IBUs around 40 with an ABV of 6%. Very smooth taste and a fine nightcap though this beverage would be comfortable with brownies or chocolate chip cookies and maybe even a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a beer float. Nicely brewed, young man and another hearty thank you for this gift.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 25th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Latitude 48 IPA-Ahtanum-Boston Beer Company

Several years ago, SA brewed this beer and then "deconstructed" it as they released 12 packs with 2 each of the 5 different hop varieties as single hop brews and 2 brews with all 5 hops included. This is marked enjoy by Sept, 2011 but I accepted 6 of these from fuse last week as some freebies. I'm not sure I'll drink all 6 but that's my fault.

This is a relatively new hop from the Yakima Valley in Washington and is supposed to accentuate orange peel, resin and floral notes. It was mostly oxidized to my taste and nose. Poured a nice bronze color but with a fair amount of sediment despite a careful pour. Faint tastes of the advertised palate but mostly old beer. I'll guess IBUs of about 30-40 with an ABV of 6% which places in somewhere between a PA and an IPA. Tried it with a grilled cheeseburger and a Caesar salad.

Tonight's trial will be the East Kent Goldings variety and I'll see if this resembles a typical English IPA or just more stale beer.

Once again, not to shoot fuse, the messenger, but I may be giving mattman91 a call to see if I can borrow his new Glock 19 handgun for a little target practice to shoot the beer.