Life Is Not Good: The anti-thread to wilson's Life Is Good

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Life Is Not Good: The anti-thread to wilson's Life Is Good

Post by bjornolf » August 3rd, 2009, 1:53 pm

First off, :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: for you. Second off, b-( b-( b-( b-( b-( b-( for the assholes fucking you over.

I can't BELIEVE they could legally give you only 24 hours notice on that. I would think you could sue them for that, or at the very least, report them and get it fixed.

Also, if you're looking for a job and willing to move, there are a LOT of PA jobs in the DC area.

Also, I realize that many here spit on government jobs, however, usajobs.gov has 113 current listings for physician's assistants.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/search.asp ... +assistant

You might want to at least look through those.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 3rd, 2009, 3:28 pm

I just got off the phone with a wonderful woman at the NC dept of Insurance and was informed that because I wasn't notified in a timely manner when my health coverage ended that I now have 63 days from the date of the letter to find new insurance without risking pre-existing exclusions. I'm going to take Sue's advice and get short term catastrophic coverage. I'm sure my fight isn't over, but at least I have an ally at the state level and all you shin kickers!!

I'm tired. I think I'll resume my fight tomorrow!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 3rd, 2009, 3:39 pm

DukePA wrote:I just got off the phone with a wonderful woman at the NC dept of Insurance and was informed that because I wasn't notified in a timely manner when my health coverage ended that I now have 63 days from the date of the letter to find new insurance without risking pre-existing exclusions. I'm going to take Sue's advice and get short term catastrophic coverage. I'm sure my fight isn't over, but at least I have an ally at the state level and all you shin kickers!!

Glad to hear it! :-bd Bloody bastards. :twisted:

I'm sittin' 'round the house, waiting for the phone to ring.
The call coming would be from my Teamster business agent. He's in negotiations with the company this PM over restoring me to the work roster.
I'm willin' to give up back pay and benefits if they can just get it over with.
Fortunately for me, the first level management is not involved. It's over that goober's head.
All vibes donated will be gladly accepted.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 3rd, 2009, 3:41 pm

DukePA wrote:I just got off the phone with a wonderful woman at the NC dept of Insurance and was informed that because I wasn't notified in a timely manner when my health coverage ended that I now have 63 days from the date of the letter to find new insurance without risking pre-existing exclusions. I'm going to take Sue's advice and get short term catastrophic coverage. I'm sure my fight isn't over, but at least I have an ally at the state level and all you shin kickers!!

Yeah - at least you can avoid the pre-existing issue when you start your new job, which should be soon if employers know what is good for them.
Life is good!
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 3rd, 2009, 3:48 pm

I'm sorry I didn't think to suggest that call to you earlier. I've had some help from the department over the years. My sister worked there for a number of years and made me aware of so many of the services free to citizens of the state. Do you have former co-workers who are faced with the same sort of misrule?

The NC Department of Insurance works very hard for consumers. Many of the good things the department goes about every day are part of Jim Long's legacy for the good of the citizens of North Carolina.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 3:49 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Man, that doesn't even qualify for the Life is not Good thread. That's just a blip on life's radar if there aren't any injuries and no insurance problems. No cheating, DD!

%%-
Who said I was finished? :roll:
February, during a tumbling pass at a Duke WBB game, the same daughter falls tears a ligament AND breaks a bone in her foot :(( , missing the rest of the season for cheering. :(

There's more to that story...
I'm still catching up and I remember her all bandaged up.... the rest of the story wouldn't involve a beer bottle or can in her room would it? :D :-B :-ss :-w
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 3:50 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:My cats were unhappy, then I opened a window. They are happier now.
The screen was on, right?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 3:52 pm

Sue71 wrote:I'm kind of hating life right now.
I don't envy you one bit and hope it all works out okay. I spent over a year trying to recover from a flood that occurred while I was out of town in Nashville, TN a few years ago. It takes time, but dealing with insurance folks is the worst especially when you have to haggle over $6-8 sqft hardwood and they only want to pay $2 sqft. That comes up to a lot of money!!!!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 4:06 pm

captmojo wrote:Earlier this year, we lost a good friend of the family. She was about as close as she could get without sharing DNA.
Her widower is already hot to trot. He's in his 70's. Oh yeah. I should mention his son's ex-wife is his live-in housekeeper now.
Freaky, huh? :-q

Father-in-law gets weaker daily.

My Mother gets weaker daily.

My boss still bites the big one. He's the one that tried to fire me last year for driving a company vehicle two (yeah...2) blocks, out of route , in order to vote.

It gets better. The story continues. This could take a while. Pull up a comfy chair. Join me, won't you?

devildeac wrote:Bad: January, our youngest daughter was hit from behind (I'd say rear-ended but I know the minds here... :roll: ) just before the I-40/Derm Freeway split with over $2K damage done to her car.
Good: No personal injuries and the repairs were completed in a timely fashion with little argument from the offending party/ins. co. We have yet to see if it will affect the trade value of the car.
I had absolutely nothing, whatsoever, to do with this accident. I had one of my own. Thank you very much.

I returned from a trip to Sanford NC, around 6PM today. I had been there to visit with an attorney.
On June 10, I was involved in an accident there. Anyone familiar with US421 (Horner Blvd) through that fair city? Particularly, the portion that runs past the downtown area? Between Wicker St. and the railroad overpass? A very dangerous area if I must say so, and I must. All here should be alert to the dangers. They are: far too much traffic; too fast of a posted speed limit; travel lanes too narrow for modern vehicles; too much camber to the road surface. I could go on and on yet will not.

On to the sorry details. As I was traveling south to Fayetteville that morning, I passed across Wicker St. intersection with no traffic before me. There was a car on my right. I was in the left lane. After passing across, my eyes scanned the mirrors, right first, then driver's side. As my eyes scan back toward the front, there were two ladies on the sidewalk, in front of a pet store, on my left. One lady was placing a small brown dog down onto the ground and, of course, this captured my attention. My thoughts were "Is this dog going to run out in the street? (it was unleashed) If so, will anyone try to chase it?" "Holy shit!" MY eyes scanned back ahead, 12 O'Clock. Problem is, the road makes right turn thereand now, ahead is more like 2 O'Clock. OMG! There's a pickup truck with a left turn signal on. I only have 125 feet to get stopped at the speed of 34mph. The limit is 35. It should have been 25. I wish it were 25. Maybe, no left turns should be allowed between the hours of 9AM and 6PM.

The guy wasn't there 200 feet ago. Where the hell did he come from. Brakes were stomped. Prayers were muttered. Nothing worked. I tagged his right rear bumper. Due to the fact that he was in a right-hand curve, my impact pushed him across the lane of travel into oncoming traffic. A young lady, going northbound, hit his right front bumper. He was OK. She was not. Ugly injury to her right foot. She ended up being air-lifted to Chapel Hole. I ended up with a citation from the local authorities for failure to reduce speed in order to avoid collision with a vehicle. The language used on the ticket form I cannot disagree with. However, the ticket says nothing about my possible ability to stop. I did everything I could do to try to get stopped. I did not have the time and distance. My vehicle weighed 80,000lbs and at 34mph, with a fair coefficient of drag, 34mph speed, I needed probably at least 200 feet to get stopped.

I was drug tested upon my return home. Negative. Alcohol testing-again negative. I don't chit-chat on the cell phone. I only carry one in cases of emergency. No distractions of any nature other than what hazards were before me. My boss did me the favor of "discharging" me upon my return from drug testing. I say favor because his rush to judgment will likely be his undoing. Proper attitude should have been suspension during investigation. All his investigation was performed after the discharge. I have attended one union/company hearing in Ocean City MD. The committee there never heard the case of the accident. They ruled that no evidence received after the time discharge was announced, would be admitted. They ruled 3 to 3 that I had been unduly discharged, automatically kicking the case up to another committee at the national level. Negotiations are underway to arrive at an out-of-arbitration settlement. I hope they are favorable. The next level meets in Providence RI soon. I want not to have to go, but I do want to return to my job, as bad as it can be. I have 17 years invested with this company and I'm too old to start anew elsewhere. I'd be the most unlikely to have a recurrence. Experience is a great teacher. Also, far too many living under my roof are dependent on me.

A virtual drive can be made through this stretch of road by Googling, 202 S Horner Sanford NC. Click on the "Street view" inside the pop-up balloon that will appear over the map. Click the arrowheads to travel southward toward the intersection of Pearl St. Coincidentally, a white pickup truck will appear at the intersection point of impact, where Pearl St shows up on the left, just past a small parking lot. These photos are out of sequence for one photo. If you click ahead , one more arrow spot, the truck will magically back up to the impact point. The last building on the left, before the truck, is the pet shop.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. But, I do have great co-workers, who took up a collection for me to finance my trip to Ocean City. They have full understanding of the dangers all those face when passing through this area. Their vote of confidence in me is quite uplifting. I pray for more.
Capt - Vibes and prayers coming from VA!!!!! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 4:09 pm

wilson wrote:...Of course, I might rather just run defense for you for a while in a '76 Trans Am with Sally Field riding shotgun...
Sally is looking good these days!!!!! :D :ymblushing: :-bd
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 4:11 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:We brought Sarah home from the hospital last night and in and among her baggage we found pounds and pounds of "not yet used" CT vibes. I'm packing up a pile of them with mega vibes of our own and shipping them your way! There are so many that you can't possibly use them all, so when you are done, pass on the left overs to another crazietalker in need. Meanwhile, breathe and know that this hard time will pass. Deep down you really do have everything it takes to handle whatever comes. You really do.
Bless your heart.
Love, Ima
Yeah!!!! More vibes and prayers from VA coming your way! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: @};-
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 4:14 pm

DukePA wrote: ... We have an infinite supply of vibes!! We'll send them to the lady and to you. Also, glad you opened up and shared with us. One of the many reasons we're here is to support each other :D
Nicely stated!!!! I concur entirely!!!! More vibes and prayers coming to the injured lady and to you, Capt!! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 4:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
Sue71 wrote:DD- I think Captmojo would agree with me on this- This thread is cathartic for those of us having a bad time more than anything. As I mentioned somewhere on here (another thread maybe?), y'all have been checking up on me more than my non-imaginary friends (and family, now that I think about it). Sometimes I just need to vent, and if no one here wants to read about it, please just say the word and I'll stop. But otherwise, I find it something of a release when I post about the bullshit of my life, especially when I feel very, very alone. It's me & Chloe against the world. Or in our cave. Or something like that.
Agreed. Whether folks wish to use this to vent, discuss their lousy experiences/situation, ask for advice, solicit prayers/vibes or all of the above is fine with me and it appears to be fine with "administration," too. (unlike on "another" board :roll: ) Once again, I am relieved and happy I opened this particular thread.
DD - I am too! Thank YOU!!!
Sue - You vent away!!!!! You are not alone and sometimes it may feel like it (been there carrying the world on my shoulders) but I always run into the right person at the right time who just listens or says something that I hadn't thought about and in hind sight, I am extremely grateful and thankful to be able to appreciate them that much more!!!!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 4:32 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I was practicing the subtle art of work avoidance while posting. Mainly because I was mad...
Do you need some shin kicks directed toward someone? Foot is ready and willing.
I sure hope I never get on the wrong side of you shin kickers!!!! =)) =)) =))
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 3rd, 2009, 4:34 pm

CRAP, Donna!

I'm glad you got someone at the Dept. of Ins. to listen to you.

And I'm vibing more than ever that you'll have FT employment, complete with benefits very soon.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 4:40 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
wilson wrote:"CB&B - quote"
--------
I'm giving a shout out to one sentence in this thread that I loved, and sort of backs up my philosophy.
From Wilson--
"Agreed with all of this. And remember, crying is totally cool, too. I wish I did it more." That's awesome. Just don't forget the tears. They make even average times better.
Thanks for this shout out. I've actually gotten better about this in recent years. These days, it tends to be a personally meaningful song that hits at the right moment and opens the waterworks (a couple of times a month, I guess). And I cry daily during the Christmas season.
So yes, crying is good.
Agree that crying is a good thing. Certain movies and songs will do it for me. Our church voted on their favorite hymns and we have been singing them this month. This morning, we sand #7 - It is Well With My Soul. I managed to sing that at Dad's funeral without crying - not this morning. I did better at second service. "quote"

We also sang that at Dad's memorial service. I did NOT make it through without tears. We had communion at church today. I did not make it through the last hymn without tears. More on that later this week or this weekend as I kinda want to wrap up this thread from my perspective as July didn't suck too much :roll: . But, then again, there's always August... :roll: :oops: I hope others will continue to make additions to this thread as their situations warrant/allow.

I alluded to posting on the Life Is Good thread also, as things aren't all that bad and we still have many things for which we are thankful and I'll try to compose a paragraph or two or a list later this week.

Thanks for your reading and patience.
I too agree!!!! While also suffering from one of these lows in my past, a minister said something to the affect that "tears are the cleaning solution to a new perspective on life and your situation, sometimes you need alot of them and sometimes you need few, but the glass get's cleaned and you can see things much clearer eventually!!!!" That always stuck with me!!!!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 3rd, 2009, 4:46 pm

Donna - Thank God!!!!! I am soo sorry to hear this also! Vibes and prayers coming your way from VA for resolution of this matter and to secure your next PA position!!!! :ymhug: @};-
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 3rd, 2009, 7:06 pm

Ok Everybody. Lets focus on keeping our wits about us. So many of us are having rough times right now. This thread was bound to happen and I, for one, am so glad it did.

I'm probably a lot..A LOT... older than most of you. And I've been through the ringer more than once. Don't want to be preachy, but I do have a couple things I do when the going gets really tough and I begin to worry about sinking into a depression. (Been there, done that....don't EVER want to do that again.)

First thing to remember is "impermanence". EVERYthing changes constantly. This really, really isn't going to last forever. By the same token, good times don't last forever either. So lets not get too wrapped up in either one.

I meditate and stay in this moment whenever possible. This very moment is the perfect teacher. So pay attention to it. It's the only thing that is real.

I'm certain that we will continue to struggle until we learn to take it as it comes.
"In our sleep
pain which cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
Until in our own despair,
against our will,

comes wisdom
through the awful grace of God. ----Aeschyles

Keep a short journal every night. And force yourself to list five things you are thankful for. I ran across my aged mother's the other day. She had written down things like "soap", "bourbon", "a wonderfully soft bed". I want you all to know that you all show up on my lists frequently. Some nights, when I just am sick and tired and don't feel thankful for a damn thing, I just go back and read former entries. What wonderful reminders that I am truly blessed, after all.

Try it. You won't be sorry.
And remember, you already have everything you need to face whatever comes. What may be coming may not be what you would choose, but You really, really do have a repertoire of ability and smarts that is sufficient.. and you're gonn be so proud of yourself when you get to the other side.
Bless your heart, Love, Ima

Gratitude is what will get us through.
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 3rd, 2009, 7:38 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Ok Everybody. Lets focus on keeping our wits about us. So many of us are having rough times right now. This thread was bound to happen and I, for one, am so glad it did.

I'm probably a lot..A LOT... older than most of you. And I've been through the ringer more than once. Don't want to be preachy, but I do have a couple things I do when the going gets really tough and I begin to worry about sinking into a depression. (Been there, done that....don't EVER want to do that again.)

First thing to remember is "impermanence". EVERYthing changes constantly. This really, really isn't going to last forever. By the same token, good times don't last forever either. So lets not get too wrapped up in either one.

I meditate and stay in this moment whenever possible. This very moment is the perfect teacher. So pay attention to it. It's the only thing that is real.

I'm certain that we will continue to struggle until we learn to take it as it comes.
"In our sleep
pain which cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
Until in our own despair,
against our will,

comes wisdom
through the awful grace of God. ----Aeschyles

Keep a short journal every night. And force yourself to list five things you are thankful for. I ran across my aged mother's the other day. She had written down things like "soap", "bourbon", "a wonderfully soft bed". I want you all to know that you all show up on my lists frequently. Some nights, when I just am sick and tired and don't feel thankful for a damn thing, I just go back and read former entries. What wonderful reminders that I am truly blessed, after all.

Try it. You won't be sorry.
And remember, you already have everything you need to face whatever comes. What may be coming may not be what you would choose, but You really, really do have a repertoire of ability and smarts that is sufficient.. and you're gonn be so proud of yourself when you get to the other side.
Bless your heart, Love, Ima

Gratitude is what will get us through.
'Nuff said, all but that 99% of all the shit we worry about, never comes to pass.
Pardon my French.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2009, 9:43 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote: Who said I was finished? :roll:
February, during a tumbling pass at a Duke WBB game, the same daughter falls tears a ligament AND breaks a bone in her foot :(( , missing the rest of the season for cheering. :(

There's more to that story...
I'm still catching up and I remember her all bandaged up.... the rest of the story wouldn't involve a beer bottle or can in her room would it? :D :-B :-ss :-w
No, the rest was surgery, missing the rest of the season for cheerleading and just starting to walk again with no boot/crutches last month. There will be an update in about 3 weeks after tryouts. This year, at her request, the coach changed her requirements and there will be no tumbling required, so there is a chance she will be selected for the "Blue" squad. If there was tumbling involved/required, she would be SOL and might be selected for the "White" squad, in which case, I think, she would say, "no thanks."
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.