Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Almost forgot this sample:

Coffee Porter (draft-growler)-Rock Bottom Brewing-(Richmond location)

Pass the cream and sugar! Thanks to duketaylor for bringing a growler of this yesterday and sharing a generous pour with me. Color was a dark, dark brown and it really did smell like a cuppa Joe. There was also a modest olfactory presence of medium to dark chocolate. I think the intermediate sensation of bitterness mainly came from the heavily roasted grains and I'll guess IBUs to only be about 40. ABV was also probably standard for the style and likely in the 5-6% range. I could have nibbled another one of TNTDevil's decadent, foil-wrapped chocolate coffee fudge espresso cups topped with a dark chocolate covered coffee bean.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Festbier-Victory Brewing Company

Another Märzen! I've had 3 Octoberfest brews in the last 2 days, probably 3 more than I had in the last 5 years. Thanks again to duketaylor for bringing this which we used in our mini-trading session yesterday. Very slightly cloudy and amber, it is true to the style with a nose of toasted wheat bread with perhaps a bit of nuttiness. Tastes are light caramel and biscuit-y. I kept it simple tonight and sipped it with a few honey-wheat Ritz crackers. I'll guess IBUs around 30 and the ABV is on the bottle at 5.6%. No lederhosen or polkas were desecrated during the consumption of this lager tonight.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2014, 9:57 pm

Pater 6-Brouwerij St Bernardus

I received this as a trader from duketaylor at Saturday's Brunchgate. Quite a choice there, sir! Thanks! It's a pretty traditional abbey ale or dubbel, aka a Belgian brown ale. Poured a slightly cloudy, medium brown with a small light tan head. Quite a bouquet of dark, dried fruits and dark brown sugar and tastes of just about the same. I'd estimate the IBUs around 30 as it's not a bitter beer and it is pleasantly sippable with the ABV at 6.7%. Another one of my favorite styles, this was quite at home in a pint glass and made a nice nightcap but would pair nicely with mild grilled fare, game or a cinnamon-caramel dessert. It was quite interesting to read that this is one of the original recipes from the days of license-brewing for the Trappist monks of Westvleteren, some of the most highly coveted and difficult to find Trappist ales in the world.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2014, 7:48 am

Black Chocolate Stout-Brooklyn Brewing Company

My annual review, courtesy of this 12 ounce trader from August West last Saturday. Poured a somewhat viscous, oily black with dark chocolate aromas wafting from the glass and darkly roasted grains (six of them) coating the palate with a dark chocolatey, boozey sensation. No additives or aging here. The bitterness originates from the heavy roasting and the resemblance to Nestle's semi-sweet morsels comes from the black and chocolate malts. Throw in a splash of whiskey and some dark malted milk mix and you have a great sipping imperial stout with IBUs in the 60 range (guessing) and an ABV of 10%. Perfect for a liquid dessert or as the base for a beer float with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a spoon.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2014, 7:49 am

Liquid Bliss-Terrapin Beer Company

This is the second chocolate peanut butter porter I've tasted with the first being from DuClaw brewing. The pour was dark brown with a small, tan head that lingered for a bit. Not surprisingly, the nose was Jif (or Skippy or Peter Pan), Hershey's with a wafting of Starbucks (or Caribou). Tastes were nutty, chocolate-y and coffee-like, the latter of which is fairly typical for a porter. Best served slightly chilled in a pint glass, with or without a chocolate chip cookie. IBUs listed at 23 and the ABV was 6.1%. Hey, Chuck, here are the ingredients from their web site:

Hops: US Golding
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Wheat, Crystal 85, Crystal 120, Chocolate Wheat, Chocolate Malt, Black Malt
Other: Peanut Butter, Boiled GA Peanuts, Olive & Sinclair Cocoa Nibs

This was their Side Project volume 18. What else might you expect from a Georgia brewery beside this and some variation of a peach ale? Cool label, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2014, 7:50 am

Nineteen (or is it XIX) (or maybe just 19)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Much more complex than their labeling would indicate. My first thought was a simple mango-flavored wheat ale. Then, remembering the source, my next thought was a mango-infused wheat wine, which is a barleywine with a lot of wheat in the grain bill. But, upon further review (and tasting, of course), it appears they brewed a sour/wild, mango-driven, Belgian-inspired, American pale imperial wheat ale. Time for an explanation. Poured a hazy, yellow-orange with some light sediment in the final 5-10 ml. Not unpleasant, but I should have left that in the 12 ounce bottle. Nose was fruity with mango as expected but some orange also from the wheat base. Tastes were sweet and fruity with mango again, of course, along with some strong orange liqueur booziness, thinking Cointreau or Grand Marnier. Sour patch kids enter here with a bit of pucker, touched with a hint of black pepper from the Belgian yeasts. I'll guess about 30 for the IBUs and, true to Weyerbacher tradition (rules?) that their Anniversary releases must be 10% ABV or higher, this one rolled off the bottling lines right at that rating. The first of the 4 pack went to my son and I sipped the second last PM, so I have 2 remaining, thinking one to trade and the other to age for a year. Very interesting concoction.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Pumking (draft)-Southern Tier

Finally got my seasonal taste of this imperial pumpkin ale with apologies to August West who dropped a bomber at the last tailgate before we could open it in the proper manner. This was a shared 10 ounce draft at Tyler's in Derm last pm prior to CTC. I coerced one of our friends into ordering it as I offered to divide my Jack O'Hammered with him and he graciously consented. Served in a snifter with a somewhat surprising clear, light yellow-orange color, it had a smallish head and had a very subtle spicy nose but there are no added spices, just two malts, two hops and pumpkin. I thought it tasted a wee bit like a carrot-pumpkin juice. The "base" ale most closely resembled a Belgian golden ale with low IBU, guessing 20-30 or less, and high ABV at 8.6%. The bomber would be good to share with 4-6 others before, during or after trick-or-treating or with Thanksgiving dinner next month, certainly pairing nicely with squash soup before dinner, the obligatory sweet potatoes/casserole with dinner or a slice of pumpkin or even pecan pie after dinner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 27th, 2014, 10:37 am

Jack O'Hammered(draft)-Wicked Weed Brewing

Another beer that fooled me. And fuse after we exchanged texts this afternoon. Poured a dark brown in a pint glass at Tyler's pre-game yesterday with a bit of chocolate-covered nuttiness (thinking brown ale here) and maybe some allspice or nutmeg, but wrong on both spice counts for me. I thought the same in the way of tastes but there was something I just couldn't place. Well, after researching it on Beer Street Journal and beeradvocate, I discovered it's a mixture of roasted cocoa nibs and a blend of 3 peppers, serrano, ancho, and habanero, and pumpkin, of course. After Evil Twin's Mini Dingo spring, I never thought I'd say anything nice ever again about habaneros in beer but I'll backtrack several steps on this one. It's an intriguing combination/concoction and certainly one I'd sample again. It paired nicely with my c*rolina Cuban sammich and non-garlic fries. I'd guess IBUs of 30 with the ABV at 7.8%. Looks like it comes in 500 ml bottles so, if you see a bottle, buy one to share this Friday instead of stealing a Milky Way or Kit Kat candy bar from one of your children or neighbor's children. :ymblushing:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 28th, 2014, 9:17 pm

Porter-Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery

This was a trader from CB&B, IIRC, and shared with my younger daughter this evening. Poured a very dark mahogany with a small tan head. Pleasant aromas of lightly roasted coffee and milk chocolate but with no additives. Tastes of the same with a very mild bitterness. Guessing that the IBUs are about 40 with ABV 5-6%, pretty standard stats for a porter. Not a classic like Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter but a fine NC representation. Would pair nicely with a rack of sweet BBQ basted ribs or a smoked brisket.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 28th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Black Mocha Stout-Highland Brewing Company

Another trader from CB&B a couple weeks ago. Poured nearly black with a slightly more tan head than the Duck Rabbit porter just reviewed. This was also shared with my younger daughter tonight. This has a bit more coffee tones and more subdued chocolate nuances, both aromas and tastes, than the porter. Bitterness surprisingly low at 25 and ABV a bit low at 5%. This would also be pleasantly served at the same meal of ribs and brisket as the porter. Here's the ingredient list from the brewers:

Grains: 2 Row Brewers Malt, Munich, Roasted Barley, Caramel 40, Caramel 60, Chocolate, Extra Special Malt & Malted Wheat
Hops: Chinook & Mount Hood

I'm thinking the Chocolate listed is the malt and not the addition of chocolate as they claim all their flavors are from the roasting and not any additives.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » November 5th, 2014, 9:11 am

Picked up a couple of items for the Va. Tech tailgate on the 15th. One from the Lips of Faith series and one Bastard that will warm you up on a crisp November afternoon. Let's see if DD can guess what they are. See everyone on the 15th. AW. :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 5th, 2014, 9:37 am

August West wrote:Picked up a couple of items for the Va. Tech tailgate on the 15th. One from the Lips of Faith series and one Bastard that will warm you up on a crisp November afternoon. Let's see if DD can guess what they are. See everyone on the 15th. AW. :D
A Bastard that will warm you up on a crisp November afternoon? AW, I think that's still illegal in NC. Be careful....
Iron Duke #1471997.
August West

Post by August West » November 5th, 2014, 10:49 am

I think I know a lawyer or 2 if trouble comes calling. :-? AW. :D
lawgrad91 wrote:
August West wrote:Picked up a couple of items for the Va. Tech tailgate on the 15th. One from the Lips of Faith series and one Bastard that will warm you up on a crisp November afternoon. Let's see if DD can guess what they are. See everyone on the 15th. AW. :D
A Bastard that will warm you up on a crisp November afternoon? AW, I think that's still illegal in NC. Be careful....
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 5th, 2014, 3:11 pm

I have no idea what their current LoF brew/s are, just hoping it's not the collabeeration done with Cigar City that has peppers in it :-* . My guess will be La Folie.

My bastard guess will Double Bastard, which is about 10% ABV, IIRC (but I won't be surprised if it's oaked Bastard). There are only some many bastards that I know ;) .
August West

Post by August West » November 5th, 2014, 6:41 pm

devildeac wrote:

I have no idea what their current LoF brew/s are, just hoping it's not the collabeeration done with Cigar City that has peppers in it :-* . My guess will be La Folie.

My bastard guess will Double Bastard, which is about 10% ABV, IIRC (but I won't be surprised if it's oaked Bastard). There are only some many bastards that I know ;) .
A couple of hints, the LoF is a collab with Perennial Artisan Ales out of St. Louis. The Bastard is not from the west coast. Hoppy thoughts. AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 5th, 2014, 6:48 pm

August West wrote:
devildeac wrote:

A couple of hints, the LoF is a collab with Perennial Artisan Ales out of St. Louis. The Bastard is not from the west coast. Hoppy thoughts. AW. :D
I have no clue for the LoF now. Gonna have to go snooping on the NB and/or Perennial web sites :ymblushing: . Ahh, must be one of the Founder's Bastards. Backwoods Bastard is the only one I can think of right now.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 5th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I think I have it:

Sounds decadent. Can't wait.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 5th, 2014, 7:01 pm

devildeac wrote:

This is even a better Bastard:

August West

Post by August West » November 5th, 2014, 7:09 pm

devildeac wrote:I think I have it:

Sounds decadent. Can't wait.
Bingo!
August West

Post by August West » November 5th, 2014, 7:12 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:

This is even a better Bastard:

There's also Dirty Bastard which is more readily available. AW. :D