Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Beer Camp #6

Summer camp is half over.

There and Back-Sierra Nevada and New Glarus collabeeration

An English style bitter made with English malts and I'll guess American hops. Poured a light tan-orange hue, a bit lighter than I expected. Scents were toasted grains and nuts with some herbs. Tastes were light toffee and piney. IBUs listed at 40 and ABV of 5.6%. If they ever release 6ers or bombers of this, it'd make a great brew for a cookout with beef, pork or chicken.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Day 7-Beer Camp

Chico King-Sierra Nevada and 3 Floyds Brewing Company collaboration

The back label states that "3 Floyds has the reputation as the Midwestern kings of alpha (hops), and it seems our flagship beer helped lure them down the lupulin-paved path." So, I'll guess SN's contribution to the effort was their standard pale ale with the addition of some high alpha hops from the 3 Floyds' recipe booklets. The result is a golden-orange pour with an herbal, resinous nose and tastes of the same with some citrus and toffee flavors for balance. ABV a bit high for a PA at 6.5% but the IBUs are right in line at 45. Good brew to serve with grilled fare that might be a bit on the spicy side, whether it is chicken, ribs or pulled pig.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Day 8-Beer Camp

Alt Route-Sierra Nevada and Victory Brewing Company

East coast meets west with this somewhat hoppy approach to the old traditional German alt bier, err, beer. Poured a burnt sienna color with a modest head, there are faint earthy and herbal aromas and tastes to balance the malty and toasted biscuity antique style of the traditional German alt bier. The typical stats for this brew might be 5% ABV and 20-30 IBUs. Leave it to these folks from both breweries to raise the levels a bit with this one checking in at 6.6% ABV and 50 IBUs. Maybe not quite to the double alt or Sticke Alt or Double Bag level but pretty close. Serve this with a couple brats or some giant soft pretzels and stone ground brown mustard. Prosit!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2014, 8:37 am

La Trappe Dubbel-De Koningshoeven Brewery (Brouwerij de Koningshoeven)

I think this is the only approved Trappist brewery outside Belgium. Read about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Koningshoeven_Brewery).

Now, the tasting. August West contributed this corked and caged 750 ml bottle with an almost hard as concrete rubber stopper that we had to extract with a corkscrew. Poured a cloudy, fizzy light brown with a wonderful nose of dark, dried fruits and tastes of the same with maybe a hint of chocolate and a splash of dark caramel syrup. This is a Belgian brown ale, one of my favorite styles of beer. I'll estimate IBUs of 30 (not very hoppy) and the ABV is listed at 7%, pretty standard for the category. I sipped my 6 ounce sample with a plate of appetizers and sides but thought it tasted best with the cinnamon-pecan-brown sugar streusel coffee cake.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Tri'Umphant-NoDa Brewing

This one is a Belgian-style ale brewed a wee bit close to home. I received this as a trader from fuse a few months back and had high expectations after tasting it for the first time in April at Brewgaloo in downtown Raleigh. The bottle version fell short, but I guess I should have kinda/sorta expected that from a bomber. It's a golden/triple brew and it poured a slightly orange-yellow color with some floral and honey notes aroma-wise and hints of banana, clove, light caramel, crisp apple and pear tastes. There was also a bit of black pepper from the Belgian yeast. I'll guess 20 for the IBU and the ABV was listed at 9% and this accompanied some fresh fruits (berries and melons) quite nicely. Another 22 ounces shared among 4 tasters.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Imperial Brown Ale-CameronBornAndBred Home Brewing

Reviewed a couple weeks ago up thread and again today after about 2 more weeks of bottle conditioning. This was a bomber shared 4 ways at our tailgate yesterday. I think a bit of the barelywine edge/roughness/bitterness has matured/decreased a bit by a short period of "aging." Dark brown pour with a modest mocha head, the nose was still Belgian dubble and the tastes still of roasted nuts with some dark caramel sauce, coffee dark fruits. Can't remember my IBU guess on first tasting but I'd guess 30 with its master brewer stating about 8-9% for the ABV. I got another 12 ounce bottle as a trader yesterday and believe I'll tuck that into the cellar for at least 90 days and revisit late this year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Golden Carolus Easter-Het Anker Brewery/Brouwerij Het Anker

This corked and caged 750 ml bottle was the final brew of the day. Procured for <$8 at Total Wine a few weeks ago from the bargain table where the sticker said $1.50 off, the label was slightly torn and the date brewed was May, 2013, which, if brewed for Easter every year as they claim, was a bit late. It's a quad which means it's supposed to be their best/strongest beer or have 4 fermentations/4X the hops (not likely)/4X the malts (very likely) or be 4X as strong as a standard ale (not quite-math doesn't work with that approach). Poured a cloudy, almost coffee-colored elixir with a modest, fizzy head and presenting bouquet of raisins, dates and figs with some dark rummy notes. Tastes were much the same with a drizzle of dark caramel and milk chocolate, too. Their web site claims two herbs and the bottle said three and I'd speculate they were cardamon, coriander and perhaps a pinch of ginger. Four of us shared this also and sipped with our brown sugar cookies and some nutty chocolate brownies. Nice combinations. I'd guess IBU of 20 and the ABV is listed at 10.5% which makes it a dangerous, easy sipping beverage.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2014, 8:41 am

Belgian Session-Boston Beer Company

This was a trader with August West from Saturday's tailgate so I'm taking a break from Beer Camp to drink a few Sam Adams brews this week. Poured a light orange-yellow with a mildly fizzy head that disappeared fairly quickly. Floral and fruity aromas with tastes of pears and peaches. Overall, the body and tastes were a bit thin but that must have been the plan, guessing IBU of 10-20 and the ABV is 4.3%, so it would indeed make a pleasant start to a tasting session or after a late summer afternoon lawn mowing with some fresh fruits.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Blueberry Hill Lager-Boston Beer Company

I found my thrill. Well, not really but this was a pleasant beer on a kinda warm, late summer night. Poured a slightly cloudy, light apricot color (really) with a smallish, foamy heady. Enticing aromas of fresh blueberries with a hint of citrus. Not quite sure how they claim this is "aged on blueberries" when another part of the label states "lager with blueberries and natural flavor added." It's an unfiltered lager, hence the cloudiness. No wheat malt is mentioned. Tettnang Noble hops lend the hint of orange/citrus/floral aura here. I'll guess IBUs around 10-20 and the ABV is 5.5%, so another brew to enjoy after a lawn mowing or with some light appetizers. Received as a trader from August West on Saturday. Beer Camp returns later in the week.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Weez-Maine Beer Company

No relation to the esteemed poster OY. This is another somewhat unusual example of an unusual style of beer, a black IPA. Poured a dark, dark coffee color with a generous, foamy, light tan head. Complex assortment of aromas including dark chocolate, tropical and citrus fruits and a bit of espresso. Tastes were just as varied. My best comparison would probably be a mixture of dark chocolate covered coffee beans and milk chocolate covered candied or jellied grapefruit and orange slices. Strange, interesting and very flavorful. Malts listed: Maris Otter, American 2-Row, Munich, C-80, Chocolate, Flaked Wheat, Black Barley, Midnight Wheat. Hops: Warrior, Cascade, Citra, Simcoe. So, after you examine those lists, the scents and palatal delights make a whole lot more sense. They state on the bottle that the same hops are used in Another One, a standard IPA. but it's a different malt bill for Weez, so a much darker, different flavored IPA. I'd guess IBUs around 60-70 range with the ABV stated at 7.2%. I don't think this was on draft when I visited the brewery and tasting room last month so I had to "settle" for the 500 ml bottle divided over two nights last week. Fuse got the 2nd bottle so I'll be curious to read his musings when he consumes his.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » September 17th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Procured what should be a special beer for Brunchgate. Hint for DD, its a DIPA from Michigan. :-o AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2014, 5:50 pm

August West wrote:Procured what should be a special beer for Brunchgate. Hint for DD, its a DIPA from Michigan. :-o AW. :D

Hmmm, Bells? Founders? Atwater? New Holland? :think: :think: :-w :-w
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Porch Rocker-Boston Beer Company

Ok, I gotta admit I had serious doubts about this one as I read the label and it started with beer, lemon juice/soda and German cyclists because I am not a fan at all of a shandy. However, I found this rather refreshing as it was a fairly typical light-bodied Helles with some soft floral notes and a very mild sweet lemon soda nose and tastes up front and a slightly tart, dry finish. Poured a light straw color with a small head that disappeared rather quickly. I'll guess IBUs of 10 and the ABV is quoted at 4.5% so this would be an easy drinking lawn mower beer or a hot summer afternoon brew with some fresh fruits before a cookout. This was a trader from August West after the Duke-KU tailgate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2014, 7:57 pm

August West wrote:Procured what should be a special beer for Brunchgate. Hint for DD, its a DIPA from Michigan. :-o AW. :D
My bet is on Double Trouble. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2014, 7:59 pm

devildeac wrote:
But it could be Dark Penance :think: :think: .
August West

Post by August West » September 17th, 2014, 11:11 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Wrong and wrong again. I can see that you're intrigued. I guess you'll have to wait until Saturday to find out. ;) AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 18th, 2014, 10:24 am

August West wrote:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Wrong and wrong again. I can see that you're intrigued. I guess you'll have to wait until Saturday to find out. ;) AW. :D
Thirstily and breathlessly.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Little Hump Spring Ale-Highland Brewing Company

Yea, it's a bit late brew for this but CB&B just traded this with me from a 12 pack sampler he brought to the KU tailgate. Brewed on date was 3/17/14 so I'm glad I drank this last night. Described as an American pale ale on the label, it was brewed with 3 hop varieties: Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade so the expected aromas and tastes of grapefruit juice/zest, pine, resin and floral were all present to a more prominent degree than I would have thought, but not unpleasantly so. Poured a straw-yellow hue with a modest, foamy head. A bit of toastiness and caramel helped balance the hop bitterness but this was a more hoppy PA than I would have expected, estimating IBUs of 50 and ABV of 5-6%. Serve with sammiches or grilled sausages.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Little Hump Spring Ale-Highland Brewing Company

Yea, it's a bit late brew for this but CB&B just traded this with me from a 12 pack sampler he brought to the KU tailgate. Brewed on date was 3/17/14 so I'm glad I drank this last night. Described as an American pale ale on the label, it was brewed with 3 hop varieties: Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade so the expected aromas and tastes of grapefruit juice/zest, pine, resin and floral were all present to a more prominent degree than I would have thought, but not unpleasantly so. Poured a straw-yellow hue with a modest, foamy head. A bit of toastiness and caramel helped balance the hop bitterness but this was a more hoppy PA than I would have expected, estimating IBUs of 50 and ABV of 5-6%. Serve with sammiches or grilled sausages.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2014, 1:53 pm

Golden Ale-Triangle Brewing Company

Just about the last of my local brews from last month. This was a 12 ounce can, the contents of which were poured into a pint glass As named, it poured with a foamy head and a light, golden color with fresh aromas of flowers and ripe apples, pears and peaches. There were light tastes of black pepper from the Belgian yeast. Mild bitterness and simple sugar syrup sweetness throughout the tasting. I'd guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV is posted at 8%. I'd prefer a Golden Monkey or a Devil's Tramping Ground over this given other choices but not a bad beer. It'd match nicely with fresh fruits and light body/soft cheeses, before or after dinner.