LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » September 14th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Lavabe wrote:36,000 posts in the LTE 2.0!!
Anyone else into PopTarts? :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 14th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Lavabe wrote:36,000 posts in the LTE 2.0!!
Anyone else into PopTarts? :D
I like the white chocolate and the brown sugar cinnamon the best. I don't find them very filling, though.
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 14th, 2014, 8:33 pm

I like the strawberry frosted.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 14th, 2014, 8:56 pm

I like the S'mores kind if I'm heating them. Brown sugar if not heating.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 14th, 2014, 9:37 pm

I will only eat the plain no frosting blueberry ones. The kinds are too sweet for me.
Paula Poundstone...on Pop Tarts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLLP1Wtrg0U
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 14th, 2014, 9:41 pm

My uncle is now at home! My cousin posted a picture of him. For all that he has been through, he looks great! So thankful, relieved and happy. Keep those prayers and vibes coming - still some recovery ahead.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 14th, 2014, 9:42 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My uncle is now at home! My cousin posted a picture of him. For all that he has been through, he looks great! So thankful, relieved and happy. Keep those prayers and vibes coming - still some recovery ahead.

Wonderful News!!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibes for a continued recovery!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » September 14th, 2014, 9:58 pm

For those of you who were not in chat Saturday, I came up with the absolute perfect name for the Norwegian postdoc: Pippi!

Pippi is getting the lay of the land fairly quickly. Her first introduction to the group craziness came at group meeting, when Bar Minion yelled at Natasha for daring to ask her a question. All of this happened, of course, after Road Runner had left to attend another meeting. (Pippi asked Natasha after group meeting what was up with Bar Minion; Natasha says she gave a somewhat diplomatic answer.)

Last week Pippi got another glimpse of Bar Minion in all her glory. Another lab (a core facility) purchased a new instrument, and the director of the core was gracious enough to allow Bar Minion and Pippi to attend the training along with his lab personnel - you know, the people whose job it is to run the instrument. Their instrument, their training, right? Wrong. From multiple accounts, Bar Minion tried to take over and steer things to what she wanted to learn. The former lab manager was there to attend training on Thursday and was supposed to stay until noon. He came to my office at 10:30 and said he couldn't stay in the lab any more without strangling Bar Minion, so he left. I really, really, really hope someone relays all this to Road Runner. If she's keeping track of Bar Minion's transgressions, as she alleges she's doing, Bar Minion's behavior in both group meeting and training should be documented. I do not have first hand knowledge, so I can't really say anything. Nor will I, since BM appears to be back in favor. Pippi is probably the only person that can say anything, and I don't know if she will. Although I'd love to say to her, "Please rat out BM to your boss for being such a narcissistic bitch," I'm staying out of it. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

MacGyver found out that one of his recently submitted grants was ranked 3rd. That's up one spot from last year, when his grant scored 4th and they funded 3. He's afraid they're only funding 2, which would leave him out in the cold yet again. Although RR has cut MacG completely out of her grants, he put her on his grant for something like 20% salary support. If it gets funded, he's re-allocating that money to hire someone to work for him. I cannot blame him at all: she refuses to do the work she's supposed to be doing for this project, why should he pay her? My sincere hope is that the money starts rolling in for MacGyver but not for Road Runner.

Another good reason to not pay any of Road Runner's salary: the spewing of vitriol continues. Apparently she has been telling MacGyver's acting department chair that MacGyver comes into her office every day and yells at her. Anyone who works in their general vicinity can confirm that this is a bald-faced lie. She has seriously gone off the deep end. I continue to back away from the crazy person.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by windsor » September 15th, 2014, 1:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Another good reason to not pay any of Road Runner's salary: the spewing of vitriol continues. Apparently she has been telling MacGyver's acting department chair that MacGyver comes into her office every day and yells at her. Anyone who works in their general vicinity can confirm that this is a bald-faced lie. She has seriously gone off the deep end. I continue to back away from the crazy person.

So does the research world attract crazy people (not to be confused with CrazIE people) or are you just lucky? There are an unusually high percentage of folks there that are just plain bat :poo: crazy. Is it the competition for research dollars and grants that makes them that way? WTF??
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 15th, 2014, 4:21 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My uncle is now at home! My cousin posted a picture of him. For all that he has been through, he looks great! So thankful, relieved and happy. Keep those prayers and vibes coming - still some recovery ahead.
:happy-bouncyblue: :-BD that is great.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 15th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
:happy-bouncyblue: :-BD that is great.
Well HOOOOOOOray!!! Great to hear some good news. Vibing away for continued improvement!!!!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 15th, 2014, 9:09 pm

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Another good reason to not pay any of Road Runner's salary: the spewing of vitriol continues. Apparently she has been telling MacGyver's acting department chair that MacGyver comes into her office every day and yells at her. Anyone who works in their general vicinity can confirm that this is a bald-faced lie. She has seriously gone off the deep end. I continue to back away from the crazy person.

So does the research world attract crazy people (not to be confused with CrazIE people) or are you just lucky? There are an unusually high percentage of folks there that are just plain bat :poo: crazy. Is it the competition for research dollars and grants that makes them that way? WTF??
I think I'm just that unlucky. Yes, the field is competitive, and that causes some issues, but I do seem to deal with my fair share of bat :poo: crazy people.

MacGyver told me today that he was warned, years ago, that Road Runner is bat :poo: crazy. At the time, he dismissed it. He sure knows better now.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 16th, 2014, 10:46 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:

I think I'm just that unlucky. Yes, the field is competitive, and that causes some issues, but I do seem to deal with my fair share of bat :poo: crazy people.

MacGyver told me today that he was warned, years ago, that Road Runner is bat :poo: crazy. At the time, he dismissed it. He sure knows better now.
Anyone else catch the piece on NPR this morning about post docs in academia?
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » September 16th, 2014, 11:43 am

Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts look yummy.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 16th, 2014, 9:40 pm

I have an earache. Cleaned it out using hydrogen peroxide. An exciting evening here in South Central Texas.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 17th, 2014, 5:54 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I have an earache. Cleaned it out using hydrogen peroxide. An exciting evening here in South Central Texas.
Yeah, that's kinda gross.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 17th, 2014, 9:56 am

DukePA wrote:Anyone else catch the piece on NPR this morning about post docs in academia?
I did not until you mentioned it. I am not too surprised considering how much funding the NIH has cut. I wonder if there are more jobs available in biomedical research companies that offer better salary and benefits.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » September 17th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Did anyone see the segment on CNN last night, where Joan Rivers' doctor took a Selfie with her while she was sedated for surgery? Anderson Cooper was reporting it last night. Terrible Terrible

www.cnn.com
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » September 17th, 2014, 8:41 pm

I did not see the segment but saw multiple articles on line. I need more posts. 5,000 here I come.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 17th, 2014, 8:57 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I did not see the segment but saw multiple articles on line. I need more posts. 5,000 here I come.
Come on, you can do it!
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage