Barbecue!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Barbecue!

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 9:13 am

Aren't you the maroon that STARTED that thread?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 29th, 2009, 10:27 pm

10:30. Now. The travel Channel is showing a Man V Food show, done in NC. BBQ, Chicken, Hot Dog contest. I'm there.
Out.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » July 29th, 2009, 10:44 pm

This thread settles it. I need a smoker. Given that rent and a soon-to-exist car payment will suck most of disposable income, this may require some creative budgeting (or a lot of Saturdays worked so I qualify for a bonus come December).

I also need a kegerator, but that can wait.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 29th, 2009, 11:16 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:This thread settles it. I need a smoker. Given that rent and a soon-to-exist car payment will suck most of disposable income, this may require some creative budgeting (or a lot of Saturdays worked so I qualify for a bonus come December).

Maybe having a smoker will help you save money by eating at home....... :idea:
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 29th, 2009, 11:18 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:This thread settles it. I need a smoker. Given that rent and a soon-to-exist car payment will suck most of disposable income, this may require some creative budgeting (or a lot of Saturdays worked so I qualify for a bonus come December).

I have a great Weber grill and eat at home at pretty much every night (and take a lunch to work every day). But I appreciate the thought :D Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated (especially if they allow me to get a smoker and a kegerator!)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 11:19 pm

He may have to start drinking more Fat Tire, Skinny Dip and Mothership Wit instead of all those fancy arse high gravity, high $$ ales. :oops: :roll: ;) :)) :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 29th, 2009, 11:22 pm

devildeac wrote:

He may have to start drinking more Fat Tire, Skinny Dip and Mothership Wit instead of all those fancy arse high gravity, high $$ ales. :oops: :roll: ;) :)) :))
...and the fancy rib-eyes with the built-in handles.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 29th, 2009, 11:25 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:

I have a great Weber grill and eat at home at pretty much every night (and take a lunch to work every day). But I appreciate the thought :D Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated (especially if they allow me to get a smoker and a kegerator!)
If you've got a Weber, how about sending me your address. I'm working at being a "locovor" by purchasing fresh locally grown produce at the local farmer's markets. I'll bring the side dishes, maybe some of my New Orleans recipes. :ymparty:
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 29th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: If you've got a Weber, how about sending me your address. I'm working at being a "locovor" by purchasing fresh locally grown produce at the local farmer's markets. I'll bring the side dishes, maybe some of my New Orleans recipes. :ymparty:
Done...2660 Utica, Denver You name the meat and I'll grill. "Locovors" are very big around here :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 30th, 2009, 8:17 am

It might just require a trip to a local flea market or a browse through your local newspaper's for sale ads. I bought my second one for 10 bucks.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 30th, 2009, 8:20 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:...maybe some of my New Orleans recipes. :ymparty:
:o You've been holding out on us, big time! Get thee to the Recipe Thread post haste.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 30th, 2009, 9:32 am

wilson wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:...maybe some of my New Orleans recipes. :ymparty:
:o You've been holding out on us, big time! Get thee to the Recipe Thread post haste.
Not holding out, just quietly going about life. No longer give out my best or most famous recipes. ..... but I can point you to some good sources if I know what you want to prepare. ;;)
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 30th, 2009, 2:09 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: If you've got a Weber, how about sending me your address. I'm working at being a "locovor" by purchasing fresh locally grown produce at the local farmer's markets. I'll bring the side dishes, maybe some of my New Orleans recipes. :ymparty:
Done...2660 Utica, Denver You name the meat and I'll grill. "Locovors" are very big around here :D
In the meantime, here is a source of recipes from Weber.http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/rec ... intro.html :ymapplause:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 1st, 2009, 11:50 am

Gotta know what grill that is and where to get one, bless your heart.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 17th, 2010, 5:02 pm

I've fallen in love with a new grill...and I want it now! I saw a floor model at Lowes 2 weeks ago..it's just too cool for the $200 price tag.
Front loading for your charcoal/wood, cast iron grates, removable ash pan (my current one has that, but you can't remove it while you are cooking), crank adjusted heat source, and it has a bottle opener attached to it! Another thing is that while my current grill/smoker looked pretty..it has a lot of wooden components that did not weather well. (I guess I could have covered it..but that would require effort). No wood on this one..just steel and chrome. I'll think about covering it, too..but no promises.

I'm saving up starting now, but probably won't be buying it until the middle of next month.

More info here.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_177898-95393-DG ... oryDisplay
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 17th, 2010, 6:01 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I've fallen in love with a new grill...and I want it now! I saw a floor model at Lowes 2 weeks ago..it's just too cool for the $200 price tag.
Front loading for your charcoal/wood, cast iron grates, removable ash pan (my current one has that, but you can't remove it while you are cooking), crank adjusted heat source, and it has a bottle opener attached to it! Another thing is that while my current grill/smoker looked pretty..it has a lot of wooden components that did not weather well. (I guess I could have covered it..but that would require effort). No wood on this one..just steel and chrome. I'll think about covering it, too..but no promises.

I'm saving up starting now, but probably won't be buying it until the middle of next month.

More info here.
Now that's a grill! With the summer season winding down, maybe the price will be reduced. A friend of mine recently bought a really fine Blue Ember 4 burner with side burner plus rotisserie burner for 50% off the regular price.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 18th, 2010, 7:43 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I've fallen in love with a new grill...and I want it now! I saw a floor model at Lowes 2 weeks ago..it's just too cool for the $200 price tag.

More info here.
I'm intrigued by these types of grills. I've got a Weber 22.5 for all my grilling but sometimes the surface area is lacking or a pain to manage two zones. How easy would it be to create heat zones on this grill? Can you load coals/wood to one side for smoking? I'd be concerned about the heat source directly under the meat. Looks awesome, let us know how she works.!
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 18th, 2010, 8:20 am

Miles wrote:

More info here.
I'm intrigued by these types of grills. I've got a Weber 22.5 for all my grilling but sometimes the surface area is lacking or a pain to manage two zones. How easy would it be to create heat zones on this grill? Can you load coals/wood to one side for smoking? I'd be concerned about the heat source directly under the meat. Looks awesome, let us know how she works.!
You can create hot zones by simply stoking to one side..but better than that is the ability to crank up or down the fire tray. It's pretty low heat when the coals sit a foot below your food..that's perfect for an all day barbecuing. The goal is to get the inside to an even 250 or so, and the benefit of the front loader is that you don't have to open the top to add more. In mine, unless I'm using my side fire box, I can only add more fuel by lifting the lid and moving grates around.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 30th, 2010, 7:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Miles wrote:

More info here.
You can create hot zones by simply stoking to one side..but better than that is the ability to crank up or down the fire tray. It's pretty low heat when the coals sit a foot below your food..that's perfect for an all day barbecuing. The goal is to get the inside to an even 250 or so, and the benefit of the front loader is that you don't have to open the top to add more. In mine, unless I'm using my side fire box, I can only add more fuel by lifting the lid and moving grates around.
I was talking to TNT tonight in section21, and was pulling up this grill online, and found out that it's on sale, for $150. And the sale ends today. So I'm off to Lowes to pick up the grill that I just bought online..they'll have it at the store waiting for me. Woooohooo!
P.S. Even thoughit's not in this month's budget, I'll enjoy the savings next month.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 30th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Good for you, CB&B! :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.