Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2014, 2:07 pm

August West wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
August West wrote:Hey Law Grad, would the Rev. Law Grad like me to bring some Red Oak tomorrow? AW. :D
The Rev. LG is always up for Red Oak. Want to engineer a swap? Anything you would like? ^:)^ :9f:
I'll stop by Total Wine and pick some up. I'll think what would make a good trade and let you know tomorrow @ tailgate. That way he'll have 2 weeks to find it. AW. :D
I'll bring 6 extras for trading. Two with CB&B, 2 with AW and perhaps 2 with dpslaw. ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Beer Camp #4 (I think)

Myron's Walk-Sierra Nevada and Allagash Brewing collabeeration

Brewed to honor Myron Avery, who they claim as a founder of the Appalachian Trail, which reaches from (near) the Allagash Brewery in Maine to (near) the new SN brewery in Mills River, NC, this Belgian pale ale combines as the niceties of a SN product with the characteristics of an Allagash Flanders-inspired beverage. Poured a pale yellow-orange with a mildly creamy head, the palate tells me slightly herbal and citrusy and mildly spicy and peppery form the Belgian type yeast. The nose is tickled with a bit of pine and a bit of fruitiness. With IBUs of 38 and ABV of 5.3%, this would be a good cookout beverage with grilled chicken or fish.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 29th, 2014, 7:39 pm

August West wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
August West wrote:Hey Law Grad, would the Rev. Law Grad like me to bring some Red Oak tomorrow? AW. :D
The Rev. LG is always up for Red Oak. Want to engineer a swap? Anything you would like? ^:)^ :9f:
I'll stop by Total Wine and pick some up. I'll think what would make a good trade and let you know tomorrow @ tailgate. That way he'll have 2 weeks to find it. AW. :D
That will work. We picked up some Granny Smith Woodchuck Hard Cider for tomorrow's festivities. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2014, 11:03 pm

DeuS (Brut des Flanders)-Brouwerij Bosteels

This can't possibly be beer. But, astoundingly, it is. From the brewery's web site: "DeuS, Brut des Flandres , the sparkling gran wine, based on barley, brewed, fermented and aged in Belgium, secondary fermentation in the bottle, followed by the traditional "remuage" and "dégorgement "in France."

Delicate. Exquisite. Floral. Deceptive. Seductive. These are all words that come to mind after sampling about 5-6 ounces of this last week. Served at 2-4 degrees Celsius in fluted champagne glasses, this is probably one of the most amazing ales I've ever tasted. Light straw in color with a fizzy, copious, almost meringue-like head, the aromas are fresh flowers and slightly underripe pears and apples with a splash of lemon. The tastes are nearly identical with grapes/wine sweetness and a hint of tannins. I'll guess EBUs of 20 or less and the ABV is a stunning 11,5%. You could pair this with light seafood entrees, fruit or, it would be tremendously delicious sipped by itself for an after dinner drink or dessert, which is the way we tasted it. Our host last week must really, really like us as this 750 ml bottle had a price on it of $35 (no typo)! This would be a very, very special occasion ale or gift for a milestone event for someone. Phenomenal sampling and finish.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2014, 11:03 pm

Tripel Karmeliet-Brouwerij Bosteels

We returned to the blonde color but not the blonde style here but I'm not sure I can really explain it well. There are 3 grains in this light golden colored ale: oats, barley and wheat. The oats impart a bit of smoothness, the barley the color and typical light, bready tastes and the wheat chips in with a bit of citrus flavor. The Styrian hops are listed. I suspect there's Belgian candi sugar here because of the very mild sweetness. And, of course there's always the (suspected) triple fermentation, including final bottle conditioning with the fine layer of yeast adding to the exquisite, delicate and bubbly Belgian lace carbonation. There are tastes of vanilla, lemon and ripe pears and apples with floral scents emanating from the tulip glass from which we sampled. I'll guess 20 EBUs and the ABV is 8,4%. I almost wish one of us had brought a 330 ml bottle of Duvel with which we could compare this because now, in my mind, Duvel has a serious competitor for "world's best" tripel.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 31st, 2014, 1:33 pm

Duke vs Elon tailgate beer sampling-4 brews of about 6 ounces each

American Common Lager-Fullsteam Brewing

You can't get much more local than this bomber from downtown Derm unless folks in the Bryan Center and/or students in their dorm rooms were brewing it themselves. Poured a light amber with a modest head, even well-chilled out of August West's beer cooler. Lightly toasted bread and light caramel were the aromas and the tastes were the same with very minimal herbal bitterness. IBUs listed at 30 on the bottle. I would have guessed 10-20 range. ABV at 5.5% so this was a fine brew to start with to accompany some vegetable crudites, potato salad and some spicy baked beans for the first course. Thanks again to August West for sharing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 31st, 2014, 10:50 pm

Heady Topper-The Alchemist

This is going to be a difficult one to review as it certainly met/exceeded expectations from reading/hearing about this a year or two ago and then discussing with fuse and budwom, who was exceedingly kind (and a bit lucky, I think) in procuring this about 3 weeks ago. I'll start off simply and state that this is indeed the best DIPA I've ever tasted. So pure and fresh in its aromas and tastes. First, I sipped the initial 8 ounces from the 16 ounce can, as instructed by the not-so-subtle labeling. Aroma is freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice with a bit of the rind included in the squeezing. I also thought there were hints of mango, peach and apricot. The second 8 ounces were decanted into a small Allagash tulip for the visuals. Poured a hazy peach color with a moderate, foamy head. Tastes matched the aromas with just a bit of oiliness and resin in the finish. There are hints of honey and light caramel to partially offset this incredibly hop-forward IIPA. Beeradvocate claims IBUs at 75 but I can't access The Alchemist website to verify. I'd have guessed 80-90. ABV is on the can at 8%. No food pairings needed. This was $14 for the 4 pack of 16 ounce cans. Fuse and I discussed reports of this being sold on ebay or craig's list for $100/can or more. I wouldn't pay that but I am considering our next auto trip to the northeast already. I'm really anticipating reading what fuse thinks about this offering. If my son doesn't claim his can soon, it's going to disappear.

Best part about the writing on the can was the statement on the back, "Don't be a D-bag. Recycle this can."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 31st, 2014, 11:00 pm

devildeac wrote:Goat Boy (draft)-Southern Tier Brewing

New for 2014, this imperial weizenbock is classic for this rather limited style. Think Aventinus. Poured a cloudy, medium brown with a medium head. Nose of orange, banana and clove from the wheat malt. Tastes were very complex and included the aforementioned plus some caramel and cherries and dried fruits. Bocks are lagers so the IBUs are low, guessing 20-30 here. Imperial means high ABV and this checks in at 7.5%, a bit lower than expected. I'd serve this with almost any grilled avian, bovine or porcine creatures or with cinnamon/chocolate/pecan desserts. This would make a wonderful brew to sample/share at a tailgate this fall if it's still available as most bocks are traditionally released in the winter/spring months. I think this was $2.50 for a 6 ounce sample.

Worthy of a repeat post, this time the bottled version. Props to August West (again) for finding this and bringing it to the tailgate yesterday. Am I prescient or what? Not only did AW cart this to the tent, we enjoyed it with a blueberry/raspberry cobble, as our chef referred to his unusual kinda upside-down version of the traditional cobbler, and we sipped it with double chocolate nut brownies and deep dish apple pie.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 1st, 2014, 10:34 am

I collected DT's hops, and they will be going into my next batch. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2014, 11:27 am

Grätzer-New Belgium and 3 Floyds collabeeration

Huge thanks to August West for discovering, pre-tasting and bringing a mini-growler (32 ounces) to tailgate yesterday. This was a brand new style to me but a very old style to the world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%A4tzer). Poured with a generous, foamy tan head with the olfactory lobes sensing dark caramel, espresso and roasted nuts. Flavors of sour, dark cherries, dark fruits and some semi-sweet chocolate headed to the gustatory regions of my cerebral cortex in addition to the caramel, coffee and nuts. Bitterness I think was from the heavily roasted malts, including smoked wheat, and not much from heavy hopping as the IBUs were only 30. With the ABV at 4.5%, this paired very well with some spicy baked beans and the molasses-brined smoked turkey that comprised our 2nd course. My only regret is that he gets to finish the 6-8 ounces tonight that were left in his growler.

This is part of their Lips of Faith series:

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/detai...e-9fa40938b877
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2014, 11:29 am

Fire and Blood-Brewery Ommegang

Just about the only Ommegang brew currently available that I didn't sample during our brewery tour two weeks ago. I have to admit, when duketatylor showed up with this as his contribution to the tasting yesterday, I had serious reservations about opening the bottle and whether we'd finish it or not. I am very glad he did. Not so much because it was a great beer but because it was a good, intriguing and educational beer. Labeled as a red ale brewed with Ancho chiles gave rise to the hesitation. Poured a mildly foamy reddish-brown hue, the introduction was earthy and herbal aromas that were followed by piney hops, a bit of chocolate-covered oranges and raisins and a very faint warmth. Grains/malts are pilsner, Cara-60, Midnight wheat, flaked rye and spelt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt), the last one being another beer education item for me as I've never heard of it. There's a very slight mustiness from the rye and the chiles lend very little heat to the brew, unlike habaneros which made Mini Dingo and Mango Magnifico almost unpalatable. At an estimated 40-50 IBUs and ABV of 6.8%, it was a good pairing with some more spicy baked beans and smoked turkey but not a beer I'd suggest with/for dessert. Thanks Chuck for an intriguing, challenging and enlightening beverage. That's meant as a compliment.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2014, 1:00 pm

Hey AW, I'm thinking about a Belgian/Belgian style beer theme for the next tailgate starting with your Grand Arbor and and my NoDa Tri'umphant. Whaddaya think? ;)
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » September 1st, 2014, 4:26 pm

devildeac wrote:Hey AW, I'm thinking about a Belgian/Belgian style beer theme for the next tailgate starting with your Grand Arbor and and my NoDa Tri'umphant. Whaddaya think? ;)
Works for me. When you get a chance, check out Hibiscuwit Belgium Witbier from Red Brick Brewing. Its available from Growlergrlz. I can go and taste if you twist my arm. AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2014, 7:56 pm

August West wrote:
devildeac wrote:Hey AW, I'm thinking about a Belgian/Belgian style beer theme for the next tailgate starting with your Grand Arbor and and my NoDa Tri'umphant. Whaddaya think? ;)
Works for me. When you get a chance, check out Hibiscuwit Belgium Witbier from Red Brick Brewing. Its available from Growlergrlz. I can go and taste if you twist my arm. AW. :D
Never been much of a Red Brick Brewing fan but that sounds intriguing. Go taste, young man ;) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2014, 10:09 pm

Hummingbird Helles-Red Oak Brewing

These folks have now started bottling their 2nd flavor of beer, a golden Munich lager. Unpasteurized and unfiltered, this straw colored beverage has very attractive floral aromas and taste sensations of ripe apples, pears, a splash of lemon and a hint of honey. It's quite crisp and clear from "pilsner malt, imported spalt Noble hops and a proprietary yeast." I'll guess IBUs of 10 and ABV of 5%. A clean, refreshing break on a warm, humid summer night from pale ales and IPAs. I received this as a trader with August West after the Saturday tailgate so a big thanks to him.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2014, 1:25 pm

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2014, 9:49 pm

While we're posting about Fullsteam:

Cack-a-Lacky-Fullsteam Brewing

My first tasting of this and it's a good one. Poured a ginger (d'oh)-orange color with a smallish head and pleasant scents of ginger and earthy hops. It's a pale ale so the bitterness is mild to moderate, guessing IBUs of 40 with the ABV at 5-6%. There's a very slight caramely taste along with a fairly strong, but not overpowering, ginger zing. I'd serve this with BBQ fare and mildly spicy Chinese entrees and don't think I'd serve it with any dessert items. I'm thinking fuse reviewed this several months ago and posted a more descriptive evaluation than I did. Worth a single or worth a 6er to share/trade with friends. Drink local!

From their website:

"Cack-a-lacky™ – brewed in partnership with Page Skelton, president of Cackalacky in Chapel Hill, N.C.

A zippy, hoppy ginger pale ale that’s enjoyable on its own and a perfect complement to spicy food. Half of the ginger in the beer comes from Maple Spring Gardens in Cedar Grove, North Carolina…at least until we run out of our local ginger supply.

Cack-a-lacky is our first canned beer…look for it in 12oz. cans in North and South Carolina. And no, the beer does not have hot sauce in it!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2014, 9:50 pm

CB&B's Imperial Brown Ale

This was a 12 ounce homebrew trader from one of our tailgate chefs, who also happens to be an IT person by day and artist/chef in the evenings and weekends. I think he got a Cack-a-lacky in return.

I've got to admit, this one fooled me as it made the transition from nose to mouth. I knew what it was from conversations with CB&B last month but appreciated Belgian dubbel aromas of dark brown sugar, dark dried fruits and a bit of dark rum. The tastes were significantly different with some characteristics of an old/strong ale, a barleywine and high octane brown ale, meaning roasted hazelnuts and almonds coming through. The old ale attributes were the dark fruits and rum, the barleywine's personality with a moderate amount of piney bitterness and the brown ale's features I already mentioned. Quite complex. I'll guess IBUs around 60-70 with the ABV about 8-9%. I had half a bottle last PM and I'm finishing the remainder tonight. I'm going to try and pirate a couple bottles from him at the Kansas tailgate, one for me to age 3-6 months and the other for fuse to taste. Maybe if duketaylor returns, he can trade a couple of his for a couple of these. This would be tasty with any of our usual tailgate entrees such as ribs, brisket or pulled/chopped/shredded pig. Intriguing brew. A hearty thanks!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Rubaeus-Founders Brewing

I'll try to restore some of your faith in this ale as I must admit, the first and only bottle I ever had was several years ago and I think it had spoiled as it tasted funny and there was a lot of sediment in it. August West had a couple of these at tailgate last week and, after talking with fuse and reading his review, I decided it was worth a trade. Darn good decision on my part.

Poured a clear, medium red (drum roll please) raspberry color with a small head. Smelled like an Ocean Spray Cran-Rasberry juice with far more raspberry than cranberry. The raspberry soda is a good comparison. I thought it had a bit more body than fuse did. Wheat is not listed as an ingredient but I thought there may have been a hint of it with a very, very subtle citrus flavor. This could have been from what is a very low hop presence, too, as the IBUs are 15. Slight tart finish. The ABV at 5.7% and low IBU made this incredibly easy to sip on a warm summer evening. Pair it with a bowl of fruit, a bowl of vanilla ice cream or chill a 12 ounce bottle, pour slowly into a champagne flute (there was sediment in this bottle, too) or wine glass and sip by itself. I've got a 750 ml bottle of 2014 Raspberry Tart, so if August West has a Rubaeus left in his cooler this weekend, I may trade for another so I can do a taste test, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Snowshoe Ale-New Glarus Brewing Company

They label this as an Irish amber ale but I guess it could easily called a red ale instead. Poured a reddish-copper with a modest, light tan head. Brewed with American and German malts and Slovenian and Pacific Northwest hops, the aromas come forth with some toffee and butterscotch notes with the flavors resembling the same with some herbal influence. The New Glarus folks don't release much info on their products, just like they don't let many of their products escape from Wisconsin. I'd guess IBUs in the 30 range and the ABV about 5-6%. Not quite the warming winter ale I was expecting based on the name and label but certainly one to be enjoyed. Puts Fat Tire to shame and is far better than I remember Killian's to be, depending of course on whether you want this to be an amber or a red ale. If you can procure some, certainly worth a purchase or trade and would be a nice beverage with Wisconsin brats/sausages/cheeses or a brisket.