Alladin
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets' Society
Birdcage
Jumanji
Nine Months
Happy Feet
Good Morning Vietnam

Those were my favorite Robin William's roles. He will certainly be missed.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » August 12th, 2014, 8:14 am

So saddened by Robin Williams' passing. I am shocked but not surprised given his long battle with depression and substance abuse. The clown laughing on the outside while crying on the inside is such a cliche, but sadly so very often true.

My heart goes out to his family and all those who knew and love him, especially his children.

His work will stand as his memorial.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 12th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Kelby Brown is out for the year. :(
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 12th, 2014, 9:25 pm

RIP LAUREN BACALL at age 89.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 13th, 2014, 11:14 am

bjornolf wrote:So many great movies.

Mrs. Doubtfire
Alladin
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets' Society
Birdcage
Jumanji
Nine Months
Happy Feet
Good Morning Vietnam

Those were my favorite Robin William's roles. He will certainly be missed.
The Birdcage was on TVGN several times in July. I watched it several times....... and I have had the DVD for 12 years. Mrs Doubtfire was on TVGN or AbcFamily network...... in July....... I watched it a couple of times. Some movies, you just watch over and over.

Shawshank Redemption is another one of those movies for me. I flip channels, and I have to stop it and watch Andy and Red.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2014, 9:04 pm

I think I mentioned that Wile E. Coyote had a paper rejected by the top journal in our field. He asked a colleague who is also a friend of mine (I'll call him Doogie - he's a youngster and he's brilliant) for his opinion on the paper; WEC wanted to include Doogie as a coauthor on the paper. Doogie is the colleague who asked him why he didn't submit to the #2 journal and was told that the #2 journal is crap.

As requested by Wile E. Coyote, Doogie read over the paper and gave WEC his honest opinion: the paper is not publishable in its current form. So, the response? WEC re-submitted it to the exact same journal with minimal changes. WEC basically told the reviewers they were wrong. :-o It was bounced within 4 hours, reportedly due to a minor issue of some form that WEC forgot to include. So, WEC resubmitted, yet again, today. WEC was in a huge rush to resubmit because he's traveling this week to attend a professional meeting/mini-symposium being hosted by the editor who is handling his paper (and, no, WEC was not invited). This person also happens to be WEC's postdoctoral advisor. So, WEC is crashing a meeting he was not invited to in order to have face-to-face conversations about his paper with several members of the journal's editorial staff. WEC is convinced that he can convince them to publish his work as-is. In other words, he's delusional. L-)

I ask you, if you were in the editor's shoes, would you appreciate someone tracking you down to strong-arm you into publishing a manuscript that you have already rejected three times? Also, if the editor handling your manuscript, also your former advisor, rejects said manuscript repeatedly, shouldn't that be a sign to you that you might want to think about addressing the reviewer criticisms and/or submitting to a completely different journal? Does WEC think they're going to get tired of his ass and accept his crappy manuscript just to make him shut up and go away? I do not know the editor personally, but from what I've heard, this will pretty much have the opposite effect. WEC will likely be black-balled from the journal if he keeps it up.

Funny follow-up: The Boss said in a meeting yesterday that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting a different outcome. Fortunately I did not have any water in my mouth; I might've spewed it across the room otherwise. One wonders if The Boss knows that his golden boy is insane according to his definition.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 13th, 2014, 9:12 pm

I would have mentioned it in the meeting.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by windsor » August 14th, 2014, 7:46 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I think I mentioned that Wile E. Coyote had a paper rejected by the top journal in our field. He asked a colleague who is also a friend of mine (I'll call him Doogie - he's a youngster and he's brilliant) for his opinion on the paper; WEC wanted to include Doogie as a coauthor on the paper. Doogie is the colleague who asked him why he didn't submit to the #2 journal and was told that the #2 journal is crap.

As requested by Wile E. Coyote, Doogie read over the paper and gave WEC his honest opinion: the paper is not publishable in its current form. So, the response? WEC re-submitted it to the exact same journal with minimal changes. WEC basically told the reviewers they were wrong. :-o It was bounced within 4 hours, reportedly due to a minor issue of some form that WEC forgot to include. So, WEC resubmitted, yet again, today. WEC was in a huge rush to resubmit because he's traveling this week to attend a professional meeting/mini-symposium being hosted by the editor who is handling his paper (and, no, WEC was not invited). This person also happens to be WEC's postdoctoral advisor. So, WEC is crashing a meeting he was not invited to in order to have face-to-face conversations about his paper with several members of the journal's editorial staff. WEC is convinced that he can convince them to publish his work as-is. In other words, he's delusional. L-)

I ask you, if you were in the editor's shoes, would you appreciate someone tracking you down to strong-arm you into publishing a manuscript that you have already rejected three times? Also, if the editor handling your manuscript, also your former advisor, rejects said manuscript repeatedly, shouldn't that be a sign to you that you might want to think about addressing the reviewer criticisms and/or submitting to a completely different journal? Does WEC think they're going to get tired of his ass and accept his crappy manuscript just to make him shut up and go away? I do not know the editor personally, but from what I've heard, this will pretty much have the opposite effect. WEC will likely be black-balled from the journal if he keeps it up.

Funny follow-up: The Boss said in a meeting yesterday that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting a different outcome. Fortunately I did not have any water in my mouth; I might've spewed it across the room otherwise. One wonders if The Boss knows that his golden boy is insane according to his definition.
I think the very BEST WEC can hope for in his meeting crashing is that the editor, because of their past relationship, pulls him aside and in one words of one syllable says "This SUCKS. We No Publish Sucky Work" and doesn't black ball him forever. Sadly I don't think WEC thinks they will get tired of him and publish it. Based on history, I think WEC believes his brilliance has exceeded the editors understanding, and if only he can 'splain it to him he will see the true genius and publish (and yes, that last sentence made me :ymsick: )
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 14th, 2014, 7:51 pm

windsor wrote:I think the very BEST WEC can hope for in his meeting crashing is that the editor, because of their past relationship, pulls him aside and in one words of one syllable says "This SUCKS. We No Publish Sucky Work" and doesn't black ball him forever. Sadly I don't think WEC thinks they will get tired of him and publish it. Based on history, I think WEC believes his brilliance has exceeded the editors understanding, and if only he can 'splain it to him he will see the true genius and publish (and yes, that last sentence made me :ymsick: )
=)) =)) at your response. You have seriously nailed WEC's attitude. He is about 100 different kinds of arrogant. When I relayed this story to Boris, the word he used was delusional. That is accurate as well. Delusional and arrogant are a deadly combination. I've heard him rant about his NIH grants being triaged because the people in the study section couldn't understand the significance of his work. L-) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Brilliant Grad Student is going to resubmit a manuscript to the same journal that WEC is hounding, to the same managing editor. In her case, she's adding a whole bunch of experiments that the reviewers wanted to see. I will seriously LMAO if her paper gets accepted and they tell WEC to go away and never come back with his current POS paper.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 14th, 2014, 8:27 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:I think the very BEST WEC can hope for in his meeting crashing is that the editor, because of their past relationship, pulls him aside and in one words of one syllable says "This SUCKS. We No Publish Sucky Work" and doesn't black ball him forever. Sadly I don't think WEC thinks they will get tired of him and publish it. Based on history, I think WEC believes his brilliance has exceeded the editors understanding, and if only he can 'splain it to him he will see the true genius and publish (and yes, that last sentence made me :ymsick: )
=)) =)) at your response. You have seriously nailed WEC's attitude. He is about 100 different kinds of arrogant. When I relayed this story to Boris, the word he used was delusional. That is accurate as well. Delusional and arrogant are a deadly combination. I've heard him rant about his NIH grants being triaged because the people in the study section couldn't understand the significance of his work. L-) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Brilliant Grad Student is going to resubmit a manuscript to the same journal that WEC is hounding, to the same managing editor. In her case, she's adding a whole bunch of experiments that the reviewers wanted to see. I will seriously LMAO if her paper gets accepted and they tell WEC to go away and never come back with his current POS paper.
First of all, I love two installments of How the Bunsen Burns in one week.

Good luck to BGS, I hope her second submission is accepted. I will do a happy dance for her. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
I worship the Blue Devil!
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2014, 6:34 am

That's just crazie!
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 15th, 2014, 8:58 am

Funding sure wouldn't be an issue if someone would just realize the Bunsen Burner drama would make a terrific soap opera and produce it! ;)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 15th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Ditto IADEVIL and TILLY! Now a fun game would be to cast the various characters in this soap opera. First, who would play WEC? Or better yet, who do you want to play YOU, Arkie?

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 15th, 2014, 1:38 pm

we will need to chip in and get a nanny cam - if BSG's paper gets published and WEC's does not...well now THAT will be must see TV.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2014, 2:18 pm

I passed WEC in the hallway and told him hello. He told me that he is going to (person x's) "symphony" this weekend. I choked out a quick, "safe travels" and ducked into the restroom to laugh. Uh dude, that would be SYMPOSIUM! I cannot make this stuff up.

I think we should have a CTN-produced workplace soap. The fictional town could feature lawyers and scientists. CathyCA, lawgrad and I can link the groups; we can meet weekly for a girls' night out to discuss our workplace adventures. We could add Windsor to the mix as well. What do you all think?
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 15th, 2014, 3:43 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I passed WEC in the hallway and told him hello. He told me that he is going to (person x's) "symphony" this weekend. I choked out a quick, "safe travels" and ducked into the restroom to laugh. Uh dude, that would be SYMPOSIUM! I cannot make this stuff up.

I think we should have a CTN-produced workplace soap. The fictional town could feature lawyers and scientists. CathyCA, lawgrad and I can link the groups; we can meet weekly for a girls' night out to discuss our workplace adventures. We could add Windsor to the mix as well. What do you all think?

I am in. I have work stories too :) although most are from my old team or my old company (where I worked for MadCow and Catastrophe that Walks Like a Man)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2014, 7:06 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I passed WEC in the hallway and told him hello. He told me that he is going to (person x's) "symphony" this weekend. I choked out a quick, "safe travels" and ducked into the restroom to laugh. Uh dude, that would be SYMPOSIUM! I cannot make this stuff up.

I'm in, too. I can supply Jethro, and the Midget Perv, and if we need any other Varnish County and suburban Varnish Zone info, I'm sure ChipSlate and TigerDevil could contribute some stories.

SYMPHONY? =)) =)) =))
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2014, 10:13 pm

I am soooooooooooooo in!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 16th, 2014, 6:51 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Ditto IADEVIL and TILLY! Now a fun game would be to cast the various characters in this soap opera. First, who would play WEC? Or better yet, who do you want to play YOU, Arkie?

Love, Ima
Aside from having CathyCA, lawgrad, windsor and I as sisters, I think Ima should be our mom. I'm envisioning the five of us sitting around the kitchen, drinking coffee, while Ima (mom) and windsor (oldest sister) dish out advice after regaling us with stories of their own adventures.

As for casting, I see Betty White as Ima. I'll go with Sandra Bullock for me, since I've always wanted to be taller and skinnier. Of course, the TV execs may want to make all of us younger.
-- Albert Einstein