PWing School Chancellor

Re: Finals/Graduation Vibes

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 21st, 2014, 8:09 pm

Rolvix, I'm so happy for you. :ymhug:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 22nd, 2014, 12:02 am

Sending vibes with you to Haiti. Come back to us ready for Med school!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 22nd, 2014, 6:56 am

Rolvix wrote:Update: I'm living and working in Haiti for the next year as the Residence and Communications Coordinator at St. Boniface Hospital in a town called Fond-des-Blancs!
Take (and post) lots of pictures! I look forward to following your adventures.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » June 25th, 2014, 3:07 pm

DukePA wrote:
Rolvix wrote:Update: I'm living and working in Haiti for the next year as the Residence and Communications Coordinator at St. Boniface Hospital in a town called Fond-des-Blancs!
Wonderful! I hope you're journaling about your experience.
Speaking of journaling, Swee'Pea has a blog up. http://mysummertimetravels.blogspot.com/

I'm jealous of the kid. Beats the heck out of busing tables and parking cars. I want a do-over.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 25th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Turk wrote:
DukePA wrote:
Speaking of journaling, Swee'Pea has a blog up. http://mysummertimetravels.blogspot.com/

I'm jealous of the kid. Beats the heck out of busing tables and parking cars. I want a do-over.
I want Turk to adopt me and send me somewhere fun for the summer. I promise to blog.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » June 25th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Turk wrote:
DukePA wrote:

How cool! I love the pics she posted.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » June 25th, 2014, 10:44 pm

I know I have no plans to share your blog because it's not mine to share. I hope you'll find that we're a protective, caring group here at CrazieTalk.
Turk

Post by Turk » June 26th, 2014, 9:59 am

I got busted!!! :Police: :ymblushing:
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 4th, 2014, 10:45 pm

isuf;bnae[rn wrote:
So this is Swee'Pea. First of all, I'm very touched by what my dad has been writing and I'm glad that there are people out there enjoying my blog. But I'm also more than a little surprised to come across details of my personal life being discussed by people I've never met. My generation has been warned time and time again (by people older than us) that we should always be very careful when you post on the Internet, because you never know who might see it. I've always followed that advice, but I never thought that I would be the one finding something that I wasn't expected to see. I'm not mad at my dad (Everything he wrote was positive and true, and I'm truly flattered), but just please be careful what you share. (Because I'm sure some of you are wondering: My blog has a traffic sources display, and I noticed several hits coming from a link on this page. I don't think I can find this thread using Google, but I could view it without creating an account once I had the link)

Anyway, good luck in Haiti Rolvix! You're lucky that Duke has a create-your-own major option (and now a Global Health major). I'm pretty much doing a Global Health major, but I'm getting a mouthful of a minor/certificate combo since there's no way to design your own major in Arts and Sciences. How will you be handling med school secondary apps/interviews during your gap year?

Hi Swee'Pea,

Good to hear from you -- I hope that your time in the DR was great! Let me know some good places to visit in the DR on a ~3-4 day trip. (The bus goes from Port-au-Prince to Santo Domingo) Though I love Fond-des-Blancs, there is only so much to do in a small, rural Haitian town.

Thankfully, my workload has been light for the past month. I've been able to spend a lot of time working on secondary apps. Hopefully I'll have to fly back for interviews! Apparently, and I will let you know if this is true, medical schools will schedule around you if they want to give you an interview. I know people who have managed to line up interviews back-to-back-to-back and stop through the U.S. for a week or two at a time. If you have more questions about the process just let me know!
Class of 2014