LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » July 29th, 2014, 8:19 pm

TillyGalore wrote:ArkieDukie, it's time for an update. We really need to come up with a title for this Soap Opera.
Next chapter of "As the Bunsen Burns"
Things have been a bit nerve-wracking for me. The Boss and the business folks are working on the budget for the coming fiscal year (current fiscal year ends on Aug. 31, I believe). My office is next door to the departmental business administrator's office, and I've heard a couple of conversations that lead me to believe that the bean-counters are trying to make The Boss cut positions within the department. It sounds as though one of these positions is mine. The Boss is fighting this. Haven't heard any more lately, but :-ss . As an added bonus, I have to start keeping a work diary in order to track how many hours I spend on specific projects. If The Boss feels I'm spending too much time on a particular project, he can redirect my efforts. I fear what this could mean, especially given the fact that WEC complains loudly and often that he doesn't have enough help. He's especially short-handed now, since his postdoc literally walked out one day and didn't come back.

The situation is even worse for MacGyver. I think I mentioned before that The Boss has pulled a bait-and-switch and is basically forcing him in to working on projects with a couple of the village idiots (one of them being Wile E. Coyote). It also sounds as though The Boss is working on getting MacGyver switched to our department, which could be good or bad. I think The Boss has ulterior motives involving getting his hands on MacGyver's instrumentation if/when he doesn't get tenure. It turns out that he also had an ulterior motive in choosing the technician he has decided to hire for MacGyver (see following paragraph). MacGyver is miserable, and I cannot blame him.

The Boss has his group meetings in a common area just outside my office. Last week I heard one of his grad students talking about her project. It happens to be related to one of my areas of interest; it's something I worked on in the past. I mentioned this to the grad student; she was somewhat excited. I then offered my expertise to The Boss. His response? He's hiring someone who has done similar work before using methodology that was state-of-the-art about 20 years ago and doesn't give an answer that's as exact as what I offered to do. Basically, imagine that you have a container full of necklaces, all of which are made of the same type of beads in varying compositions. The Boss is interested in one particular type of bead. The other guy's method takes all the necklaces in the container and breaks them into the individual beads. He then counts how many of that bead are in the entire bin. Mine would break the necklaces into chunks that are measured. In this manner, I could tell which necklaces contain the bead of interest and the exact ordering of the bead of interest in each necklace. There are implications for the presence of the bead in the necklace - and exactly where the bead is in the necklace. The Boss isn't even interested in determining this information - only the total number of his bead of interest in the entire container. :-o :twitch: (necklaces = proteins, amino acids = beads) This conversation made me realize that, scientifically, I am fighting a losing battle with The Boss. Just like his pal Wile E. Coyote and the other investigator that MacGyver is being forced to work for, The Boss is at least 20 years behind the times in terms of methodology. It's your basic exercise in futility.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2014, 8:35 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Next chapter of "As the Bunsen Burns"
Things have been a bit nerve-wracking for me. The Boss and the business folks are working on the budget for the coming fiscal year (current fiscal year ends on Aug. 31, I believe). My office is next door to the departmental business administrator's office, and I've heard a couple of conversations that lead me to believe that the bean-counters are trying to make The Boss cut positions within the department. It sounds as though one of these positions is mine. The Boss is fighting this. Haven't heard any more lately, but :-ss . As an added bonus, I have to start keeping a work diary in order to track how many hours I spend on specific projects. If The Boss feels I'm spending too much time on a particular project, he can redirect my efforts. I fear what this could mean, especially given the fact that WEC complains loudly and often that he doesn't have enough help. He's especially short-handed now, since his postdoc literally walked out one day and didn't come back.

The situation is even worse for MacGyver. I think I mentioned before that The Boss has pulled a bait-and-switch and is basically forcing him in to working on projects with a couple of the village idiots (one of them being Wile E. Coyote). It also sounds as though The Boss is working on getting MacGyver switched to our department, which could be good or bad. I think The Boss has ulterior motives involving getting his hands on MacGyver's instrumentation if/when he doesn't get tenure. It turns out that he also had an ulterior motive in choosing the technician he has decided to hire for MacGyver (see following paragraph). MacGyver is miserable, and I cannot blame him.

The Boss has his group meetings in a common area just outside my office. Last week I heard one of his grad students talking about her project. It happens to be related to one of my areas of interest; it's something I worked on in the past. I mentioned this to the grad student; she was somewhat excited. I then offered my expertise to The Boss. His response? He's hiring someone who has done similar work before using methodology that was state-of-the-art about 20 years ago and doesn't give an answer that's as exact as what I offered to do. Basically, imagine that you have a container full of necklaces, all of which are made of the same type of beads in varying compositions. The Boss is interested in one particular type of bead. The other guy's method takes all the necklaces in the container and breaks them into the individual beads. He then counts how many of that bead are in the entire bin. Mine would break the necklaces into chunks that are measured. In this manner, I could tell which necklaces contain the bead of interest and the exact ordering of the bead of interest in each necklace. There are implications for the presence of the bead in the necklace - and exactly where the bead is in the necklace. The Boss isn't even interested in determining this information - only the total number of his bead of interest in the entire container. :-o :twitch: (necklaces = proteins, amino acids = beads) This conversation made me realize that, scientifically, I am fighting a losing battle with The Boss. Just like his pal Wile E. Coyote and the other investigator that MacGyver is being forced to work for, The Boss is at least 20 years behind the times in terms of methodology. It's your basic exercise in futility.
Thank you for the update. There must be an affair going on somewhere in your department. It's the only thing missing from "As the Bunsen Burns."

RE the bolded part, I've seen that trick before. ;)

What about the RR/BM saga?
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 29th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Since BM went to Human Resources with her hostile workplace complaint, RR was unable to fire her. Bitch won't leave, either. It appears to me that BM is back in RR's good graces. BM is unusually quiet, which generally means she is up to no good. All of that adds up to the fact that the remaining members of RR's lab are mapping an exit strategy.

No affairs that I know of. In terms of no longer active romantic entanglements, Road Runner continues to treat MacGyver like something on the bottom of her shoe. In fact, if she continues bad mouthing him within the institution and he gets solid proof, MacGyver is prepared to sue Road Runner for slander. Believe me, based on the snide comments she has made to me, he has grounds. I haven't told him anywhere near half of what I heard. I've kept it on a need to know basis. I'm sorry, but putting up road blocks to someone's professional collaborations because they broke up with you is unprofessional. It's a nasty situation, to say the least.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 29th, 2014, 10:10 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Since BM went to Human Resources with her hostile workplace complaint, RR was unable to fire her. Bitch won't leave, either. It appears to me that BM is back in RR's good graces. BM is unusually quiet, which generally means she is up to no good. All of that adds up to the fact that the remaining members of RR's lab are mapping an exit strategy.

No affairs that I know of. In terms of no longer active romantic entanglements, Road Runner continues to treat MacGyver like something on the bottom of her shoe. In fact, if she continues bad mouthing him within the institution and he gets solid proof, MacGyver is prepared to sue Road Runner for slander. Believe me, based on the snide comments she has made to me, he has grounds. I haven't told him anywhere near half of what I heard. I've kept it on a need to know basis. I'm sorry, but putting up road blocks to someone's professional collaborations because they broke up with you is unprofessional. It's a nasty situation, to say the least.
Wonder if voo doo dolls are in order.
I worship the Blue Devil!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 30th, 2014, 11:07 am

TillyGalore wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Since BM went to Human Resources with her hostile workplace complaint, RR was unable to fire her. Bitch won't leave, either. It appears to me that BM is back in RR's good graces. BM is unusually quiet, which generally means she is up to no good. All of that adds up to the fact that the remaining members of RR's lab are mapping an exit strategy.

Oooh, voodoo dolls. I'm in! :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 30th, 2014, 11:45 am

Today's court tip: a person shoplifting should probably not leave their wallet with photo ID and rent receipt with current address behind in the store in which they are shoplifting. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 30th, 2014, 12:10 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2146 ... g-national

So the idiot in charge down the road has a 6 pack (when you don't have to supervise your "students" you have plenty of time to lift). BFD. Coach Cut and Coach Doeren from State do too... :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 30th, 2014, 12:55 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2146 ... g-national

So the idiot in charge down the road has a 6 pack (when you don't have to supervise your "students" you have plenty of time to lift). BFD. Coach Cut and Coach Doeren from State do too... :9f:
I'd rather hang out with Coach Cut and Coach Doeren and their 6 packs than that other guy and his. :D
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 30th, 2014, 3:02 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

I'd rather hang out with Coach Cut and Coach Doeren and their 6 packs than that other guy and his. :D
Me too! :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 30th, 2014, 7:25 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Today's court tip: a person shoplifting should probably not leave their wallet with photo ID and rent receipt with current address behind in the store in which they are shoplifting. :9f:
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 30th, 2014, 7:37 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

Oooh, voodoo dolls. I'm in! :9f:
Me too!

An update: I got a heads-up phone call from Road Runner this morning. My friend BarMinion received a VERY poor evaluation from Road Runner, and The Boss signed off on it. BM was on the warpath today as a result, so RR wanted me to pass along a "duck and take cover" warning to the members of her group. She also warned us to keep an eye on the instrument and everything else in the lab. BM acts out when angry, and instrument sabotage has been her choice of outlets. Brilliant Grad Student has samples running right now, so we really have to keep an eye on everything. (As an aside, RR should warn her people and leave me out of it IMO.)

RR has a meeting with BM tomorrow to discuss the evaluation. As you can imagine, RR is really not looking forward to this meeting. This also means that BM will not be in a good frame of mind tomorrow, either. Apparently BM forwarded the outlook appointment request to her husband, who doesn't even work at our institution. BM doesn't realize that, when you forward an Outlook meeting request, a notification goes to the person who scheduled the meeting. (Mental note to self: watch out for this one!) Not sure if this will come up in tomorrow's meeting.

I had a second-hand account of an interaction between Road Runner and MacGyver. Apparently he was in the midst of a conversation with Natasha and BGS when RR came up and asked a question of Natasha and BGS (pretended MacGyver was furniture). MacGyver answered the question; he was the one who knew the answer. According to BGS, RR's reaction was to clench her right hand into such a tight fist that the veins were popping out in her arm. Is it just me, or is that a bit of an excessive reaction? Would this be viewed by our experts as irrational? Does homeslice need some meds?
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 30th, 2014, 8:34 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
An update: I got a heads-up phone call from Road Runner this morning. My friend BarMinion received a VERY poor evaluation from Road Runner, and The Boss signed off on it. BM was on the warpath today as a result, so RR wanted me to pass along a "duck and take cover" warning to the members of her group. She also warned us to keep an eye on the instrument and everything else in the lab. BM acts out when angry, and instrument sabotage has been her choice of outlets. Brilliant Grad Student has samples running right now, so we really have to keep an eye on everything. (As an aside, RR should warn her people and leave me out of it IMO.)

RR has a meeting with BM tomorrow to discuss the evaluation. As you can imagine, RR is really not looking forward to this meeting. This also means that BM will not be in a good frame of mind tomorrow, either. Apparently BM forwarded the outlook appointment request to her husband, who doesn't even work at our institution. BM doesn't realize that, when you forward an Outlook meeting request, a notification goes to the person who scheduled the meeting. (Mental note to self: watch out for this one!) Not sure if this will come up in tomorrow's meeting.

I had a second-hand account of an interaction between Road Runner and MacGyver. Apparently he was in the midst of a conversation with Natasha and BGS when RR came up and asked a question of Natasha and BGS (pretended MacGyver was furniture). MacGyver answered the question; he was the one who knew the answer. According to BGS, RR's reaction was to clench her right hand into such a tight fist that the veins were popping out in her arm. Is it just me, or is that a bit of an excessive reaction? Would this be viewed by our experts as irrational? Does homeslice need some meds?
That is an over-the-top reaction. As my former coworker Walter Penn used to say, "don't shit in your own nest." It's hard to keep domestic non-tranquility and former domestic non-tranquility out of a professional setting.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 30th, 2014, 8:38 pm

We had a defendant today who was extradited from Michigan. Claimed his time in Michigan was up, the clerk said she had gotten a call from someone whose name and location she didn't know claiming that they wanted him. Judge asked me to make some calls and see what I could find out. Defense attorney gave me his paperwork. The guy had been prosecuted in Wayne County (Detroit) for a theft case. By a prosecutor whose name was LUKE SKYWALKER. I called the guy's number and got his voicemail. "Hi, this is Luke Skywalker...." Looked him up on the Michigan State Bar website, and it's legit. He's been a member of the bar since 1980.

I guess the Force is with him....

I got my information, but left a message for him to call the office line and didn't warn the secretaries. Hope he calls back tomorrow. They will never believe his name. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 30th, 2014, 9:59 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:We had a defendant today who was extradited from Michigan. Claimed his time in Michigan was up, the clerk said she had gotten a call from someone whose name and location she didn't know claiming that they wanted him. Judge asked me to make some calls and see what I could find out. Defense attorney gave me his paperwork. The guy had been prosecuted in Wayne County (Detroit) for a theft case. By a prosecutor whose name was LUKE SKYWALKER. I called the guy's number and got his voicemail. "Hi, this is Luke Skywalker...." Looked him up on the Michigan State Bar website, and it's legit. He's been a member of the bar since 1980.

I got my information, but left a message for him to call the office line and didn't warn the secretaries. Hope he calls back tomorrow. They will never believe his name. :9f:
OMG, LOL! =))
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ss like ndou2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 30th, 2014, 10:07 pm

AK, that place is too much. Sounds life half the employees come from the nut house.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 30th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:We had a defendant today who was extradited from Michigan. Claimed his time in Michigan was up, the clerk said she had gotten a call from someone whose name and location she didn't know claiming that they wanted him. Judge asked me to make some calls and see what I could find out. Defense attorney gave me his paperwork. The guy had been prosecuted in Wayne County (Detroit) for a theft case. By a prosecutor whose name was LUKE SKYWALKER. I called the guy's number and got his voicemail. "Hi, this is Luke Skywalker...." Looked him up on the Michigan State Bar website, and it's legit. He's been a member of the bar since 1980.

OMG, LOL! =))
That's pretty much what I was going to say as well. =)) =)) =))

You should get a male colleague to answer with, "Luke, I am your father." Bet he's never heard that one before. ;)
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 30th, 2014, 11:13 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

That is an over-the-top reaction. As my former coworker Walter Penn used to say, "don't shit in your own nest." It's hard to keep domestic non-tranquility and former domestic non-tranquility out of a professional setting.
Exactly. MacGyver may have been a total dumbass in his handling of the breakup, but that does not mean he deserves the treatment he's getting at the moment. He is trying to be professional, as best I can tell. She will not even respond to a civil "good morning."

As an aside, Boris, Natasha, BGS, MacGyver and I went out one day last week in honor of the fact that Road Runner was out of town. They drank heavily; I watched them drink heavily (I had taken acetaminophen earlier in the day and really like my liver, so I did not partake). Once he was good and toasted, MacGyver started complaining about how he was being treated by RR and how he didn't deserve it because "they had always said that if either of them met someone else they could break it off with no hard feelings." Natasha ripped him a new one; she told him the many ways in which he handled the situation badly. Dude actually tried to argue with her, but she was dead-on, so BGS and I agreed with her. Hopefully the message was received somewhere in his alcohol-saturated brain.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 31st, 2014, 3:40 am

Luke is certainly more reasonable than Anakin.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 31st, 2014, 6:16 am

Is it just me, or is the way he is standing with his arm around his bikini clad daughter's waist just the tiniest bit creepy?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 31st, 2014, 7:23 am

I had wondered when I heard that BarMinion was back in RR good graces if that was actually an HR edict. If you put someone on a performance plan you have to give them every chance to improve and she might have been told to make nice nice. The bad evaluation is interesting. Very interesting. That may also speak to the whole 'good graces' appearance. Hopefully the evaluation is fully documented. The level of dysfunction in that department is exemplified by RR having to warn people that a subordinate is pissed of and may sabotage others work. Seriously? WTF?

I am shaking my head over forwarding the meting invite t her husband - is she expecting to bring him along? As a side note, I forwarded a meeting invite from work to my home e-mail. Within minutes the meeting organizer asked why I had forwarded it outside Aetna because that is a no no of epic proportions. He felt pretty stupid when he realized I had sent it to myself. (we were expecting violent thunderstorms that afternoon - so I wanted to webex on my phone in case the lights went out.)

In other news...what happened to the nanny cam request for the instrument?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.