World Cup 2014

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by Lavabe » July 4th, 2014, 9:08 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Neymar definitely out.
Fractured vertebra. DAMN. Really a shame. I just hope he can recover. AWFUL!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 5th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Argentina through. Just think if Argentina were to somehow win the Cup whilst playing in Brazil?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 5th, 2014, 3:15 pm

I saw the first 20 minutes of the ARG-BEL game, and left to do some work. Go figure that no scoring occurred after the 8th minute!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 5th, 2014, 8:50 pm

So the Dutch win in PKs against the Costa Ricans. Dutch had firepower throughout the game, but just couldn't convert. Twice off the woodwork. Costa Rica had a couple of good chances as well; good counter attack, but it just wasn't getting through the Dutch. The Dutch substituted goalkeeps near the end, putting in Tim Krul. Krul guessed correctly on all of the PKs, blocking two. The Dutch nailed each PK.

So, it will be Germany vs. Brazil and Netherlands vs. Argentina.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 5th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:So the Dutch win in PKs against the Costa Ricans. Dutch had firepower throughout the game, but just couldn't convert. Twice off the woodwork. Costa Rica had a couple of good chances as well; good counter attack, but it just wasn't getting through the Dutch. The Dutch substituted goalkeeps near the end, putting in Tim Krul. Krul guessed correctly on all of the PKs, blocking two. The Dutch nailed each PK.

Krul may have been successful, but he behaved like an ass. Costa Rica just couldn't mount enough offense, I'm not sure they were really in it.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 6th, 2014, 11:11 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
Lavabe wrote:So the Dutch win in PKs against the Costa Ricans. Dutch had firepower throughout the game, but just couldn't convert. Twice off the woodwork. Costa Rica had a couple of good chances as well; good counter attack, but it just wasn't getting through the Dutch. The Dutch substituted goalkeeps near the end, putting in Tim Krul. Krul guessed correctly on all of the PKs, blocking two. The Dutch nailed each PK.

Krul may have been successful, but he behaved like an ass. Costa Rica just couldn't mount enough offense, I'm not sure they were really in it.
He came in like a crazed relief pitcher in the bottom of the ninth. In your face antics... trash talking... but damn, he guessed right on every shot. :-?
awhom111
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by awhom111 » July 7th, 2014, 11:11 pm

The "eccentric" goalkeeper is a fairly common thing although in this case Krul was just pretending and not quite as crazy as Barthez or Higuita or those guys.

Tomorrow's game is quite interesting with the two absences for Brazil putting them at a severe disadvantage. While they can use their defensive experience off the bench to shore things up on that end, no Neymar means tons of trouble in scoring goals unless the rest of the midfield can figure something out. For Germany, it will be interesting to see if they line up with a similar team after beating France. They will be the favorites, but I would never count out a team with an inspirational force behind them to do well. Another early goal for Germany will probably make it difficult for Brazil to fight back.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 8th, 2014, 1:12 pm

awhom111 wrote:The "eccentric" goalkeeper is a fairly common thing although in this case Krul was just pretending and not quite as crazy as Barthez or Higuita or those guys.

Tomorrow's game is quite interesting with the two absences for Brazil putting them at a severe disadvantage. While they can use their defensive experience off the bench to shore things up on that end, no Neymar means tons of trouble in scoring goals unless the rest of the midfield can figure something out. For Germany, it will be interesting to see if they line up with a similar team after beating France. They will be the favorites, but I would never count out a team with an inspirational force behind them to do well. Another early goal for Germany will probably make it difficult for Brazil to fight back.
Brazil must look for something from someone. I am surprised that the Chelsea midfield contingent on Brazil simply hasn't connected/clicked. I am also surprised that HULK (still the best name) has done squat lately in terms of goal-scoring. 13 shots, no goals.

Looking forward to seeing what Low puts out there for Germany.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 8th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Umm... OH MY!!!
4-0 in the first 25 minutes. Germany is putting a can of whoop-ass on Brazil.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 8th, 2014, 4:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:Umm... OH MY!!!
2 minutes later: 5-0.
It's the Gashouse Gorillas vs. the Teatotallers.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 8th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Umm... OH MY!!!
2 minutes later: 5-0.
It's the Gashouse Gorillas vs. the Teatotallers.
I think Germany will take the first set.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 8th, 2014, 4:48 pm

I've seen the first four goals on ESPN gamecast (since the live stream isn't available here at the varnish mine). Is ANYONE from Brazil marking ANYONE from Germany? :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 8th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Good lord. :veryconfused:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 8th, 2014, 7:43 pm

7-1... it should have been more.
The absence of Silva was one aspect of it, but when push comes to shove, there was no excuse from the fact that Germany was just f'ing awesome, and the Brazilian defense was just f'd.

As for tomorrow... can Argentina/Messi match up well against the firepower of the Netherlands? Argentina doesn't have DeMaria, but it looks like Aguero is in it. R van Persie may not play, due to illness.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 8th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Lavabe wrote:7-1... it should have been more.
The absence of Silva was one aspect of it, but when push comes to shove, there was no excuse from the fact that Germany was just f'ing awesome, and the Brazilian defense was just f'd.

As for tomorrow... can Argentina/Messi match up well against the firepower of the Netherlands? Argentina doesn't have DeMaria, but it looks like Aguero is in it. R van Persie may not play, due to illness.
IMHO, van Persie didn't seem all that engaged in the last match. Arjen Robben was the man for the Netherlands, but couldn't do it all by himself. If another attacker shows up for the Dutch, they will have a good chance. I am underwhelmed by the Argentine defense.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 8th, 2014, 8:48 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:7-1... it should have been more.

IMHO, van Persie didn't seem all that engaged in the last match. Arjen Robben was the man for the Netherlands, but couldn't do it all by himself. If another attacker shows up for the Dutch, they will have a good chance. I am underwhelmed by the Argentine defense.
Oh, clearly Robben has been stirring the drink all tournament long; I don't disagree. But now Sneijder has been cranking it up. RvP has been a bit ill, but adds firepower. And Dirk Kuyt too. And off the bench, Huntelaar (off bench) is powerful. If RvP has even a decent day, Oranje has at least four players on the pitch who can score. Really hard to defend against that many offensive players.
awhom111

Post by awhom111 » July 9th, 2014, 1:11 am

So Germany... I kind of get the 2003 Kansas vibe after today. Like they could have eased through the semifinal almost too much and then will somehow be surprised in the final.

Some interesting tactical things about the Germans. They had Khedira pressing high up the field a lot today and left Kroos sitting further back with Schweinsteiger. I am not sure this will work in the final because the other teams do not build their attacks the same way Brazil does, but I like that Germany was getting back to a higher tempo counter game, which is generally their strength.

The other semifinal:

The Netherlands will have to draw back on the tactics they started the tournament with, because counter attacks through Robben could really run circles around Argentina's defense regardless of who is supporting him in the attack. Argentina will have to reshuffle their attack again, but frankly they have not found their best possible combination in the games so far, so they might stumble upon the formula that will give them the most control this time. The Dutch will be without their key man in the middle, but they are used to packing it in middle, which is probably the strategy that will be the hardest for Argentina to break through. I think this game will have goals, just not 8 of them.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 10th, 2014, 10:40 am

Argentina wins in PKs over Netherlands, after a tactical and scoreless game in which there may have been like three saves.

Now the Dutch coach is really questioning why the third place game is in existence (he's been saying that for years). Beats me who will be on the pitch for the third place Brazil vs. Netherlands game.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 10th, 2014, 12:01 pm

Lavabe wrote:Argentina wins in PKs over Netherlands, after a tactical and scoreless game in which there may have been like three saves.

Now the Dutch coach is really questioning why the third place game is in existence (he's been saying that for years). Beats me who will be on the pitch for the third place Brazil vs. Netherlands game.

I am not a fan of the 3rd place game.

Who is old enough to remember when the NCAA Tourney had the same thing...a consolation game.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 10th, 2014, 1:11 pm

windsor wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Argentina wins in PKs over Netherlands, after a tactical and scoreless game in which there may have been like three saves.

I am not a fan of the 3rd place game.

Who is old enough to remember when the NCAA Tourney had the same thing...a consolation game.
I am old enough... :(
Although I am glad as a fan that the 3rd place game is gone from the NCAAs, I've become a little more in favor of it, as it allows some players a chance to play in the tourney. But still, the game is diluted, extra work, and someone goes home having lost two in a row.