Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » June 21st, 2014, 11:37 am

IowaDevil wrote:
windsor wrote:You're morning does of cute...he comes home mid July
tyler.jpg

OMG he is just too cute! Does he have a name yet?

the 'working name' is Karadale's Living On The Edge - call name Tyler (as in Aerosmith's Stephen)

his father is Karadale's Walk this Way so it fits :)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 21st, 2014, 11:02 pm

Windsor, he is flat-out adorable! :ymhug:
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 22nd, 2014, 12:28 am

Hoping a Vandy CWS title is in the offing Monday night!
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 23rd, 2014, 8:57 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Hoping a Vandy CWS title is in the offing Monday night!
Me too! Go 'Dores! :clap:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 23rd, 2014, 6:12 pm

Found out today that BarMinion's paper was rejected. I heard that it received scathing reviews. I hate to rejoice about such things, but :ymdevil: :ymdevil: .

You may recall that Bar Minion's paper used an analysis similar to the work that Natasha does (except BM's husband did her work for her). Natasha presented her work at a conference last week, as did BM and her husband. In contrast to BM's work, Natasha had so many people stop by her poster that she couldn't talk to them all. Her work generated much talk. She is going to have to write it up very quickly so she does not get scooped. Natasha saw BM's poster and said it did not contain anything novel. This means that Natasha and I could very well get our work published before BM does. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 23rd, 2014, 8:39 pm

[quote="ArkieDukie"]Found out today that BarMinion's paper was rejected. I heard that it received scathing reviews. I hate to rejoice about such things, but :ymdevil: :ymdevil: .

You may recall that Bar Minion's paper used an analysis similar to the work that Natasha does (except BM's husband did her work for her). Natasha presented her work at a conference last week, as did BM and her husband. In contrast to BM's work, Natasha had so many people stop by her poster that she couldn't talk to them all. Her work generated much talk. She is going to have to write it up very quickly so she does not get scooped. Natasha saw BM's poster and said it did not contain anything novel. This means that Natasha and I could very well get our work published before BM does. :ymdevil:[/quote

Whoo - hoo! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 23rd, 2014, 8:41 pm

windsor wrote:You're morning does of cute...he comes home mid July
tyler.jpg
So cute!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 23rd, 2014, 9:01 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Found out today that BarMinion's paper was rejected. I heard that it received scathing reviews. I hate to rejoice about such things, but :ymdevil: :ymdevil: .

You may recall that Bar Minion's paper used an analysis similar to the work that Natasha does (except BM's husband did her work for her). Natasha presented her work at a conference last week, as did BM and her husband. In contrast to BM's work, Natasha had so many people stop by her poster that she couldn't talk to them all. Her work generated much talk. She is going to have to write it up very quickly so she does not get scooped. Natasha saw BM's poster and said it did not contain anything novel. This means that Natasha and I could very well get our work published before BM does. :ymdevil:
Whoo - hoo! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
What DinK wrote!
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 23rd, 2014, 9:14 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Found out today that BarMinion's paper was rejected. I heard that it received scathing reviews. I hate to rejoice about such things, but :ymdevil: :ymdevil: .

Today's word of the day: Schadenfreude

a feeling of enjoyment that comes from seeing or hearing about the troubles of other people

from German Schadenfreude (“joy in the suffering of others”)

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 23rd, 2014, 9:51 pm

CathyCA wrote:

a feeling of enjoyment that comes from seeing or hearing about the troubles of other people

Great word. Thanks, Cathy! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

In a way, I feel badly for BM. She set out to prove her superiority over Natasha and me; instead she committed career suicide. Road Runner is in the process of drafting a performance improvement plan for BM as mandated by Human Resources (since she can't fire her). The required tasks include all the work that BM has refused to do for the past year. It will be interesting to see how she responds.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 23rd, 2014, 10:30 pm

CathyCA wrote:

The legal minds are in agreement. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 23rd, 2014, 10:41 pm

We've discussed schadenfreude here before, but it's such a wonderful word to say (and to type), and such a deliciously satisfying concept that I felt compelled to point out this instance of schadenfreude here.

Usually, it's been discussed in the context of a certain message board melting down after a certain team 8 miles from Durham loses mightily.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 24th, 2014, 2:44 am

CathyCA wrote:
Usually, it's been discussed in the context of a certain message board melting down after a certain team 8 miles from Durham loses mightily.

While my dancing is best kept hidden from view, I'm not sure it merits the phrase melt down when I celebrate a Ker-olina loss.

Ok, ok, I kid. It is 1:40 am as I type. I'm omly capable of intermittent rational thought.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 24th, 2014, 7:43 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Great word. Thanks, Cathy! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

In a way, I feel badly for BM. She set out to prove her superiority over Natasha and me; instead she committed career suicide. Road Runner is in the process of drafting a performance improvement plan for BM as mandated by Human Resources (since she can't fire her). The required tasks include all the work that BM has refused to do for the past year. It will be interesting to see how she responds.

OH HELL NO. Repeat: HELL NO. I am sure she would not be feeling sorry for you - she would be looking for a way to step on your fingers as you dangled from the cliff.

Karma seems to have come home to roost. She is not always swift but her aim is always true. Or, in the words of that great philosopher Mike Cross "Father do not mourn for me, mother do not weep. Whatever a man soweth, that also shall he reap." Don't feel sorry for her. It could be fatal.

Need I remind you she has done pretty much anything she thought she could get away with to undercut everyone else?

Now go find Natasha and get on paper -

Performance improvement plans are interesting things. I have personally put a couple of people on them in my career and have know a few more who were on plans. Generally even if they successfully complete the plan they don't stay - they find another gig ASAP. I realize that is much harder in your field than in IT. I know of one person who took the Plan to heart, genuinely improved and it all turned out fine - she did leave the department but stayed in the company and did quite well. The usual reaction to being put on a plan is either despondent or defiant. In her case I would guess defiant. Sometimes they go all scorched earth and try to throw anyone and everyone under any bus they can find. Watch your back, front and sides. Stay low, and try and stay out of it.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 24th, 2014, 9:19 am

ArkieDukie wrote:In a way, I feel badly for BM. She set out to prove her superiority over Natasha and me; instead she committed career suicide. Road Runner is in the process of drafting a performance improvement plan for BM as mandated by Human Resources (since she can't fire her). The required tasks include all the work that BM has refused to do for the past year. It will be interesting to see how she responds.
Printing that out is going to kill a lot of trees. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 24th, 2014, 9:50 am

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: In a way, I feel badly for BM. She set out to prove her superiority over Natasha and me; instead she committed career suicide. Road Runner is in the process of drafting a performance improvement plan for BM as mandated by Human Resources (since she can't fire her). The required tasks include all the work that BM has refused to do for the past year. It will be interesting to see how she responds.

OH HELL NO. Repeat: HELL NO. I am sure she would not be feeling sorry for you - she would be looking for a way to step on your fingers as you dangled from the cliff.

Karma seems to have come home to roost. She is not always swift but her aim is always true. Or, in the words of that great philosopher Mike Cross "Father do not mourn for me, mother do not weep. Whatever a man soweth, that also shall he reap." Don't feel sorry for her. It could be fatal.

Need I remind you she has done pretty much anything she thought she could get away with to undercut everyone else?

Now go find Natasha and get on paper -

Performance improvement plans are interesting things. I have personally put a couple of people on them in my career and have know a few more who were on plans. Generally even if they successfully complete the plan they don't stay - they find another gig ASAP. I realize that is much harder in your field than in IT. I know of one person who took the Plan to heart, genuinely improved and it all turned out fine - she did leave the department but stayed in the company and did quite well. The usual reaction to being put on a plan is either despondent or defiant. In her case I would guess defiant. Sometimes they go all scorched earth and try to throw anyone and everyone under any bus they can find. Watch your back, front and sides. Stay low, and try and stay out of it.
Yeah, that's what I predict her reaction will be. She's not stable under the best of circumstances. Our best hope is that she leaves sooner rather than later. Other than that, we will all need to duck and take cover when the big meeting occurs.

Bar Minion will pitch a shit fit over Natasha's paper. Actually, Natasha is getting two papers: a technical note for the computational method she developed, and a HUGE paper for the actual data analysis, and I'm not sure BM will be a coauthor on either one. The second paper is a significant improvement over BM's Chinese Coalition work. It's actually novel. The paper I'm working on won't make her much happier, as it is something she is attempting to do right now. The difference is that she is performing an invalid comparison. I am not. :ymdevil: As of right now, I have gone against Road Runner's recommendation and made BM a coauthor on my paper. It is the fairest thing to do, given her role in the project. She is way down the list, and I suspect she will demand to be moved up. If that happens, she might find herself off the paper altogether. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 24th, 2014, 9:51 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:In a way, I feel badly for BM. She set out to prove her superiority over Natasha and me; instead she committed career suicide. Road Runner is in the process of drafting a performance improvement plan for BM as mandated by Human Resources (since she can't fire her). The required tasks include all the work that BM has refused to do for the past year. It will be interesting to see how she responds.
Printing that out is going to kill a lot of trees. :9f:
=)) =)) =)) :ymdevil: sad but true.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 24th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Did Throatybeard get put on a new vacation OY or is that lingering from the last vacation he was given? Anyone know?
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » June 24th, 2014, 4:29 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Did Throatybeard get put on a new vacation OY or is that lingering from the last vacation he was given? Anyone know?
should have said Holiday instead of vacation. Must get my sanctions correctly named.
Life is good!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 24th, 2014, 8:12 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Hoping a Vandy CWS title is in the offing Monday night!
I was early. Still hoping, but it is a best 2 out of 3. The 'Dores won Game 1 last night.