World Cup 2014

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

World Cup 2014

Post by Lavabe » June 12th, 2014, 3:53 pm

It's that time again, only this time it's Brazil.
ESPN Coverage: Loads of Messi commercials. Glad to see Martinez (Everton coach) as a halftime analyst. Ian Darke and Macca doing the coverage.
Besides Uncle Sam's Army, I'll root for teams with Liverpool players.
It should be Spain and Brazil in the finals, but that's why they play the games. Expect the unexpected.

NOTE: Brazil starts against Croatia this afternoon. Brazil features Fred, Oscar, Neymar, and HULK.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by lawgrad91 » June 12th, 2014, 4:35 pm

The Rev Lawgrad would be ok with being in the hospital at least until the match is over. We have a flat screen tv in Mom's room, with ESPN. Mom doesn't have cable and since we have Directv we don't have watch ESPN.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 12th, 2014, 5:34 pm

The Brazil-Croatia referee will have the best hotel in all of Sao Paolo after handing an utterly bogus penalty shot to Brazil.
Iron Duke #1471997.
awhom111
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by awhom111 » June 13th, 2014, 12:17 am

lawgrad91 wrote:The Rev Lawgrad would be ok with being in the hospital at least until the match is over. We have a flat screen tv in Mom's room, with ESPN. Mom doesn't have cable and since we have Directv we don't have watch ESPN.
The Univision Deportes app will have streaming for everyone through the first knockout stage.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 13th, 2014, 9:03 am

awhom111 wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:The Rev Lawgrad would be ok with being in the hospital at least until the match is over. We have a flat screen tv in Mom's room, with ESPN. Mom doesn't have cable and since we have Directv we don't have watch ESPN.
The Univision Deportes app will have streaming for everyone through the first knockout stage.
Thanks, awhom! He will probably avail himself of it.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 13th, 2014, 12:13 pm

Mexico just got hosed on the offside call.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 13th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Although I am rooting for Cameroon over Mexico, I have just one thing to say:

DEAR FIFA,
Why don't you just tell us in advance which teams you want to win?
Lavabe

Brazil's penalty vs. Croatia, and this offside call... truly bizarre!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 13th, 2014, 7:25 pm

What happened to Spain? We were on the road so didn't get to see, but what a stunner.

The Rev Lawgrad, who only remembers he is half-Dutch during World Cup, was grinning from ear to ear. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 13th, 2014, 9:54 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:What happened to Spain? We were on the road so didn't get to see, but what a stunner.

The Rev Lawgrad, who only remembers he is half-Dutch during World Cup, was grinning from ear to ear. :9f:
I saw it.
Wow...
All was going well for Spain, and then RVP made a freakin' AWESOME header from just inside the box. The momentum changed with that. Robben turned it on for a brace, as did RVP. Spain's defense was about four steps slow, and their lone striker, Diego Costa, was inept (and may not play the next game, as it looks like he head-butted someone). Spain needs Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea's new signing) to start.

It was sort of like watching the Gas-House Gorillas playing the Tea Totallers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdhftriXIrk
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 14th, 2014, 10:08 am

Lavabe wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:What happened to Spain? We were on the road so didn't get to see, but what a stunner.

I saw it.
Wow...
All was going well for Spain, and then RVP made a freakin' AWESOME header from just inside the box. The momentum changed with that. Robben turned it on for a brace, as did RVP. Spain's defense was about four steps slow, and their lone striker, Diego Costa, was inept (and may not play the next game, as it looks like he head-butted someone). Spain needs Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea's new signing) to start.

It was sort of like watching the Gas-House Gorillas playing the Tea Totallers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdhftriXIrk
Just watched it on replay. Dang. Wow. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 14th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Looks like Colombia will hang on and win 2-0 against Greece. All offense, no defense in this game.
Luis Suarez won't start for Uruguay against the Ticos.
Italy's Buffon (G) will not goalkeep against the English. This will be the rumble in the jungle.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 14th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Anyone who thinks "The Star Spangled Banner" is long needs to hear the national anthem of Uruguay. I've tried contested cases that didn't last that long. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 14th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Which is worse: World Cup vuvuzelas or World Cup stadium waves?
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 14th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Lavabe wrote:Which is worse: World Cup vuvuzelas or World Cup stadium waves?
Trick question, they are equally bad.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 14th, 2014, 9:06 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Trick question: England is worse. #-o
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 14th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Lavabe wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
Trick question: England is worse. #-o
True that. Ugh.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 15th, 2014, 8:39 am

England possesses Wayne Rooney, who, without question, fired a gem of an assist to Sturridge for England's lone goal. But there was a stretch near the end when the humidity/heat conditions got to everyone on England (and not Italy). Witness this horrid corner kick by Wayne Rooney:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt2ya8uXiN4 8-| #-o :-? :ymtongue:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 15th, 2014, 9:13 am

Here are my initial thoughts about the first three days, and the teams that allegedly played in them:
Netherlands: OH MY!! What an offense. They were the Gas House Gorillas. You don't win a World Cup on your first game... or do you?
Colombia: Umm... this was a team without their best player. OMG. They were that good.
Brazil: Yeah, it's Neymar and the rest of them (at least, that's how they seem to be portrayed on ABC/ESPN). Fun to watch. I want to see more HULK.
Chile: Umm, they may be for real, but they were playing Australia. Need to see more.
Ivory Coast: Disjointed first half vs. Japan. Then within a few minutes of putting in an aged Didier Drogba, magically they connect and score two goals to win their game. Would like to see more defense from them, and just a little better teamwork.
Japan: Even though they lost to Ivory Coast, they sure played very well in the first half. I have no explanation for why they just blew it... other than Ivory Coast just started to click.
Mexico: Could El Tri be a team that has somehow figured out how to enjoy playing soccer? They may be a team to watch.
Italy: Truly despise this team. If you get a lead, just pack all ten men back in the penalty box, and see what happens. BORING. Oh, and it hasn't changed in how long?
Costa Rica: Icky play, until their first goal, which was highlighted by the goal scorer mimicking being pregnant with a soccer ball. Seriously. Just get rid of this team. http://www.highlighthub.com/joel-campbe ... tion-vine/
Greece: They are the enigma, wrapped around a mystery, covered in a burrito. They play well, and then they F*** up.
Croatia: See my comments about Greece.
Spain: Losing 5-1 should make you the worst team in the tourney, but remember that Spain lost their first game of the last World Cup, and look what happened. Then again, back in 2010, they didnt lose 5-1, have a goalkeep who suffered from terminal brain fart disease, and simply have no attack.
Cameroon: How did they lose to Mexico? I mean, they had the ref in the pocket on that one. They had better show more.
England: Underwhelming is an understatement.
Uruguay: Without Suarez, what an underwhelming team! They have now lost a starting defensemen because one of the dumbest red cards I have ever seen. The player got it in stoppage, and deserves like maybe a 10 match ban.
Australia: Awful.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 15th, 2014, 9:31 am

Regarding Italy's defense: at some points in the second half, I felt that it wasn't even classic catenaccio defense they have been known to use. It was more like what Chelsea did to Liverpool at Anfield late in the season this year, in which the Chelsea coach, Jose Mourinho, packed the defense: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... aster.html

Considering how many Liverpool players are on the England team, it was a wise tactic for Italy.

Italy will have a fun time against Costa Rica.

Expect more of Italy's defensive mentality against Uruguay, assuming that Suarez (Liverpool player) starts.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 15th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I do not watch a lot of soccer but I have been watching the WC. I have concluded that Ivory Latta played the wrong sport. Her ability to flop on the ground and writhe in agony as though a limb had been severed (and the miraculous recovery seconds later) would fit right in.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.