Finals/Graduation Vibes

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Finals/Graduation Vibes

Post by DukePA » May 5th, 2014, 2:03 pm

I am so proud of all the CTN kids and grand kids!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 5th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Turk wrote:Hard to believe Swee'Pea has 2 years in the books already. She sent a screenshot of her grades, but I am forbidden to post on FB or forward to anyone in Turk roost. I do enjoy bragging about the kid, and as hard as it might be, I will respect her wishes. I don't think she would be too upset if I listed a few of the classes she took: OrgAnic Chem II, OChem lAb, SynAptic TrAnsmission, GlobAl HeAlth.

Subtle as a box of hammers, eh?
Congratulations, Swee'Pea! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 5th, 2014, 5:23 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
Turk wrote:Hard to believe Swee'Pea has 2 years in the books already. She sent a screenshot of her grades, but I am forbidden to post on FB or forward to anyone in Turk roost. I do enjoy bragging about the kid, and as hard as it might be, I will respect her wishes. I don't think she would be too upset if I listed a few of the classes she took: OrgAnic Chem II, OChem lAb, SynAptic TrAnsmission, GlobAl HeAlth.

Congratulations, Swee'Pea! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 5th, 2014, 6:44 pm

WhAt A smArt girl Swee'PeA is! CongrAtulAtions, proud PApA Turk!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 5th, 2014, 7:42 pm

CathyCA wrote:

WhAt A smArt girl Swee'PeA is! CongrAtulAtions, proud PApA Turk![/quote

Your Swee'Pea rocks! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 5th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Tough course load all Around for Sweet Pea. She's really, really a smart cookie!!!!
Way to GO! :o)
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 7th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Congratulations!!!
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » May 16th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Thank you so much, everyone! It really is strange to be a Duke alumnus. I can't quite wrap my head around it. These past four years have been absolutely wonderful and incredibly transformative. I came in knowing that I would love Duke for basketball, but left with a deep, deep passion for the friends I made and the world I got to explore (and, of course, Duke athletics).

I am waiting to hear from a job with Partners in Health (NGO founded by Duke alum, Paul Farmer). If that doesn't work out, I will likely volunteer in the TB ward of the Port-au-Prince General Hospital for the year. So, either way, I will spend my gap year in Haiti.

Submitting my medical school primary application soon!

Thank you for all of the support. It is wonderful to know that there is a group of devoted Dukies rooting for me.
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » May 16th, 2014, 10:15 pm

Turk, what Global Health course did she take? Based on her schedule, her interests seem to align very well with mine (pre-med, Program II major focused on medicine and the biology of disease).
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » May 16th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Last post: here is a plea to anyone familiar with medical school applications/admissions. I am working on my personal statement and would like to get feedback from as many people familiar with this realm of writing. Does anyone have experience with med school personal statements? If so, I would be much obliged if you would take a look at mine.
Class of 2014
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 17th, 2014, 12:37 am

Rolvix wrote:Last post: here is a plea to anyone familiar with medical school applications/admissions. I am working on my personal statement and would like to get feedback from as many people familiar with this realm of writing. Does anyone have experience with med school personal statements? If so, I would be much obliged if you would take a look at mine.

Don't use "I" a whole lot. I read personal statements for residency all the time, will be happy to take a look at yours.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukePA

Post by DukePA » May 17th, 2014, 11:37 am

Rolvix wrote:Thank you so much, everyone! It really is strange to be a Duke alumnus. I can't quite wrap my head around it. These past four years have been absolutely wonderful and incredibly transformative. I came in knowing that I would love Duke for basketball, but left with a deep, deep passion for the friends I made and the world I got to explore (and, of course, Duke athletics).

I am waiting to hear from a job with Partners in Health (NGO founded by Duke alum, Paul Farmer). If that doesn't work out, I will likely volunteer in the TB ward of the Port-au-Prince General Hospital for the year. So, either way, I will spend my gap year in Haiti.

Thank you for all of the support. It is wonderful to know that there is a group of devoted Dukies rooting for me.
We are so, so proud of you and grateful that we are sharing your journey. I cannot wait to see what you do next! You are truly inspiring. Love you much, kiddo! :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 17th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Congratulations to you, Rolvix, as you move on to the next stage of your life! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 17th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Rolvix wrote:Thank you so much, everyone! It really is strange to be a Duke alumnus. I can't quite wrap my head around it. These past four years have been absolutely wonderful and incredibly transformative. I came in knowing that I would love Duke for basketball, but left with a deep, deep passion for the friends I made and the world I got to explore (and, of course, Duke athletics).

Congratulations, Rolvix, and thank you for your willingness to help others. Vibes and prayers for a long and successful career in medicine.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » May 19th, 2014, 9:54 am

Rolvix wrote:

Turk, what Global Health course did she take? Based on her schedule, her interests seem to align very well with mine (pre-med, Program II major focused on medicine and the biology of disease).
The title was "Special Topics Global Health", whatever that means. I'll have to ask her what was covered. She is majoring in neuroscience with a certificate in Global Health (which as I understand it is Pitt's term for "minor"). She is pre-med but I don't know what a "Program II major" means either.

This summer, she is going to Santiago in the Dominican Republic for a seven week program, staying with a local family and taking classes. If you're planning on spending a year in Haiti, it sounds like your interests overlap a good deal with hers on that front. I can't speak to that icky and weird medical stuff; it all jumbles together when she tries to explain it to me. (and she pretty much has the same reaction when I try to explain servers and software to her, so I guess we just have to keep working at it).
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Turk

Post by Turk » May 19th, 2014, 9:58 am

Rolvix, I know how you feel about being a Duke alumnus. Even after all these years, I can't quite wrap my own head around it either.

Good luck on the job / volunteer / med school front, keep us posted! And congratulations!
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » May 19th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Turk wrote:
Rolvix wrote:

The title was "Special Topics Global Health", whatever that means. I'll have to ask her what was covered. She is majoring in neuroscience with a certificate in Global Health (which as I understand it is Pitt's term for "minor"). She is pre-med but I don't know what a "Program II major" means either.

This summer, she is going to Santiago in the Dominican Republic for a seven week program, staying with a local family and taking classes. If you're planning on spending a year in Haiti, it sounds like your interests overlap a good deal with hers on that front. I can't speak to that icky and weird medical stuff; it all jumbles together when she tries to explain it to me. (and she pretty much has the same reaction when I try to explain servers and software to her, so I guess we just have to keep working at it).

That's great. I didn't realize that Pitt offered Global Health courses to undergraduates. Both undergraduate and medical schools are trending towards the inclusion of more GH opportunities, which I think is a positive development. I spent a weekend in the DR last summer while doing research in Haiti -- it was really enjoyable. I was in Santo Domingo, but I would have to assume that the people are just as welcoming in Santiago. I would go back in a heartbeat, and I'm sure that she will love it!

Program II is a course of study that Duke offers to students who believe that their interests are not suited by traditional, Program I majors. Thus, I was able to essentially create my own unique Global Health major with the help of an advisor and review committee (of course, they introduced a Program I Global Health major my senior year -- too late for me).
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » May 19th, 2014, 10:45 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Rolvix wrote:Last post: here is a plea to anyone familiar with medical school applications/admissions. I am working on my personal statement and would like to get feedback from as many people familiar with this realm of writing. Does anyone have experience with med school personal statements? If so, I would be much obliged if you would take a look at mine.

Don't use "I" a whole lot. I read personal statements for residency all the time, will be happy to take a look at yours.
Tilly, I would very much appreciate that! I am working on another draft of my statement based on feedback from my pre-med advisor, so I will try to send you this version of the statement by the end of the week. Would you mind PM'ing me your email address?
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 21st, 2014, 6:39 pm

Update: I'm living and working in Haiti for the next year as the Residence and Communications Coordinator at St. Boniface Hospital in a town called Fond-des-Blancs!
Class of 2014
DukePA

Post by DukePA » June 21st, 2014, 7:11 pm

Rolvix wrote:Update: I'm living and working in Haiti for the next year as the Residence and Communications Coordinator at St. Boniface Hospital in a town called Fond-des-Blancs!
Wonderful! I hope you're journaling about your experience.