Post by lawgrad91 » May 6th, 2014, 9:49 am

devildeac wrote:Lavabe gets a promotion:

PWing School Chancellor Lavabe 10000

Can I retire now?
Way to go, Lavabe!
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukieInKansas » May 6th, 2014, 10:11 am

Can I retire now?
Congratulations, Lavabe!
Life is good!
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » May 6th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Can I retire now?

CONGRATS LAVABE! :ymhug: :-BD :dance: :clap:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

As the Bunsen Burns

Post by ArkieDukie » May 6th, 2014, 10:57 pm

You may recall I mentioned earlier that a colleague was just hired at a nearby academic institution. Well, his current position is somewhat similar to what I have done in the past. MacGyver talked me up to my colleague's boss (this institutions's equivalent of PHB); nuPHB emailed me last Thursday to set up an appointment for Friday afternoon. MacGyver stopped by on Friday morning to fill me in on his chat with nuPHB. MacGyver gave him several names; one of them was Bar Minion. nuPHB asked who she worked for and then ruled her out once he found out that she worked for Road Runner (he didn't want to take her person away). When MacGyver mentioned my name, nuPHB asked who I worked for, MacGyver told him that I work for The Boss. Reportedly, nuPHB then said, "I can work out a deal with him. That might work." Interesting right?

I chatted with nuPHB last Friday afternoon. I figured out semi-rapidly that he's not interested in hiring me, and I also determined what he meant by being able to work out a deal with The Boss. First up: my connection with Wash U, and several key powerful figures, is desirable. I mentioned I had worked there and who I had worked with; nuPHB asked me if anyone there could be persuaded to move. (Is it just me, or is that a semi-insulting question to ask during an interview? "Oh, you worked there? Would any of your former co-workers be interested in moving here to take this position?") Then the other shoe fell. As it happens, The Boss has been talking with nuPHB about using his new instrument one day a week. I know that he's asking this question on behalf of that idiot Wile E. Coyote, because The Boss asked me if this new instrument would be beneficial for the work that WEC is doing. From what nuPHB said, he is envisioning some sort of trade with The Boss in which he gets my time and WEC gets to use his instrument. And it would be temporary until he has the opportunity to advertise for a more suitable permanent replacement. So, basically, I am nothing but political capital. (And my former position at one of the top labs in the country, doing exactly what he needs someone to do, does not qualify me to work for him permanently. Asshat.)

After work, I found out why MacGyver was talking me up for this particular position. As it turns out, MacGyver has been chatting with nuPHB about possibly taking on a larger role in the core lab that nuPHB runs. MacGyver's plan is to take the position in order to help secure his salary, but then have me do all the work. In other words, this is for his benefit but not necessarily for mine. This was the straw that broke the camel's back.

After thinking about it all weekend, on Sunday I finally hit "send" on the draft of the email to PHB to ask if he, or someone he knew, was looking for someone with my skill set. I then elaborated on the additional skills I've gained during my 2 years here. I have not had any sort of response as of yet. I'm not sure exactly what this means, given PHB's tendency to not answer emails. Either he's working on putting together some sort of deal, or I'm not going to get any sort of answer at all. In any event, the wheels of the job search have begun to turn.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 7th, 2014, 11:46 am

In any event, the wheels of the job search have begun to turn.
YAY! I'm excited for you, AD!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 7th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Good Win for the Miami Heat!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: As the Bunsen Burns

Post by TillyGalore » May 7th, 2014, 4:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:You may recall I mentioned earlier that a colleague was just hired at a nearby academic institution. Well, his current position is somewhat similar to what I have done in the past. MacGyver talked me up to my colleague's boss (this institutions's equivalent of PHB); nuPHB emailed me last Thursday to set up an appointment for Friday afternoon. MacGyver stopped by on Friday morning to fill me in on his chat with nuPHB. MacGyver gave him several names; one of them was Bar Minion. nuPHB asked who she worked for and then ruled her out once he found out that she worked for Road Runner (he didn't want to take her person away). When MacGyver mentioned my name, nuPHB asked who I worked for, MacGyver told him that I work for The Boss. Reportedly, nuPHB then said, "I can work out a deal with him. That might work." Interesting right?

I chatted with nuPHB last Friday afternoon. I figured out semi-rapidly that he's not interested in hiring me, and I also determined what he meant by being able to work out a deal with The Boss. First up: my connection with Wash U, and several key powerful figures, is desirable. I mentioned I had worked there and who I had worked with; nuPHB asked me if anyone there could be persuaded to move. (Is it just me, or is that a semi-insulting question to ask during an interview? "Oh, you worked there? Would any of your former co-workers be interested in moving here to take this position?") Then the other shoe fell. As it happens, The Boss has been talking with nuPHB about using his new instrument one day a week. I know that he's asking this question on behalf of that idiot Wile E. Coyote, because The Boss asked me if this new instrument would be beneficial for the work that WEC is doing. From what nuPHB said, he is envisioning some sort of trade with The Boss in which he gets my time and WEC gets to use his instrument. And it would be temporary until he has the opportunity to advertise for a more suitable permanent replacement. So, basically, I am nothing but political capital. (And my former position at one of the top labs in the country, doing exactly what he needs someone to do, does not qualify me to work for him permanently. Asshat.)

After work, I found out why MacGyver was talking me up for this particular position. As it turns out, MacGyver has been chatting with nuPHB about possibly taking on a larger role in the core lab that nuPHB runs. MacGyver's plan is to take the position in order to help secure his salary, but then have me do all the work. In other words, this is for his benefit but not necessarily for mine. This was the straw that broke the camel's back.

After thinking about it all weekend, on Sunday I finally hit "send" on the draft of the email to PHB to ask if he, or someone he knew, was looking for someone with my skill set. I then elaborated on the additional skills I've gained during my 2 years here. I have not had any sort of response as of yet. I'm not sure exactly what this means, given PHB's tendency to not answer emails. Either he's working on putting together some sort of deal, or I'm not going to get any sort of answer at all. In any event, the wheels of the job search have begun to turn.
Remind me, who is PHB? I get so confused sometimes.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 7th, 2014, 6:22 pm

PHB is my former boss at Wash U. Still no response from him.

Today's fun and games: Bar Minion sent a nasty gram to Road Runner to complain about authorship whic Road Runner then forwarded to Natasha and. E. Bar Minion is miffed because I was first author over over her on the paper that we most recently published. She is also pissed because she was not an author on the poster I presented most recently. I'm holding off on a response to Road Runner in which I tell her exactly what I think of Bar Minion's claims in the email. I am so done with these people.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 7th, 2014, 8:27 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:PHB is my former boss at Wash U. Still no response from him.

Today's fun and games: Bar Minion sent a nasty gram to Road Runner to complain about authorship whic Road Runner then forwarded to Natasha and. E. Bar Minion is miffed because I was first author over over her on the paper that we most recently published. She is also pissed because she was not an author on the poster I presented most recently. I'm holding off on a response to Road Runner in which I tell her exactly what I think of Bar Minion's claims in the email. I am so done with these people.
Good for you!! :clap: :dance:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 7th, 2014, 8:31 pm

That's what I thought.
ArkieDukie wrote:Today's fun and games: Bar Minion sent a nasty gram to Road Runner to complain about authorship whic Road Runner then forwarded to Natasha and. E. Bar Minion is miffed because I was first author over over her on the paper that we most recently published. She is also pissed because she was not an author on the poster I presented most recently. I'm holding off on a response to Road Runner in which I tell her exactly what I think of Bar Minion's claims in the email. I am so done with these people.
Bro-ther. Someone thinks a little too much of themselves.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 7th, 2014, 10:57 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
That's what I thought.
ArkieDukie wrote:Today's fun and games: Bar Minion sent a nasty gram to Road Runner to complain about authorship which Road Runner then forwarded to Natasha and me. Bar Minion is miffed because I was first author over over her on the paper that we most recently published. She is also pissed because she was not an author on the poster I presented most recently. I'm holding off on a response to Road Runner in which I tell her exactly what I think of Bar Minion's claims in the email. I am so done with these people.
Bro-ther. Someone thinks a little too much of themselves.
True that. Her whole email is ridiculous. She says she designed the experiments herself and did all of the work. Not quite true. The experimental design we ultimately used was my idea, and Road Runner and I hashed out the bulk of the details. I even had to determine the analytical run order for the samples because Bar Minion didn't want to randomize them. Boris helped her with sample prep and running the instrument. Nice little bit of revisionist history from her, I thought. To contrast, I've been nominating other people in the lab to be lead author on a paper when the situation is warranted. Pretty much everyone else in the lab is this way. Bar Minion gets irate when she isn't first author on every paper that comes out of the lab, even if she does none of the writing and generates none of the figures. She is truly a toxic viper, and I'm amazed that she still has a job.

Interesting follow-up to this is that Bar Minion sent emails to Natasha and myself this evening to complain about the fact that we used HER data in our posters and did not include her as a coauthor. (I put her and Boris in the acknowledgments for technical assistance for sample prep and running the instrument, which I'm sure pissed her off no end. Truth has that effect on some people; it was her role in the experiment.) She then went on to take exclusive credit for experimental design and execution, and she concluded by saying that, in the future, we should get clearance from her before we use any of HER data in a publication. (Uh, point of fact, biyotch: the data belongs to YOUR BOSS!) In a surprising turn of events, Road Runner followed this with 2 emails: one exclusively to Natasha and myself to say that she disagreed with Bar Minion's email, and another that she sent to Bar Minion and later forwarded to Natasha and myself. Road Runner told Bar Minion that she disagreed with her conclusions regarding the posters and also told her that I had played a large role in the experimental design. Bar Minion must be seething right now. I will need to watch my back very closely for the foreseeable future because she will surely be gunning for me.

Sadly, Road Runner created this situation by continuing to pander to Bar Minion. She gave her permission to do her own data analysis (which Bar Minion's husband actually did for her, although she's claiming credit), allowed her to write a manuscript, and submitted it to the top journal in the field. All of the unfortunate people who work for Road Runner full-time are very unhappy, and I cannot blame them. The work that Road Runner let poor, poor Bar Minion do was a project that had been assigned to Natasha. Kicker is, Bar Minion's husband did the work for her - Natasha did the same thing in an innovative manner and actually did the work herself. Bar Minion is now allowed to pick and choose what she wants to work on; all other tasks are dumped off on Boris. It is a huge stinking mess.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 8th, 2014, 7:28 am

Has the Good Morning thread become the #1 place to ummm, pad your post count? Or is it just the polite thing to do?
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 8th, 2014, 10:22 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Has the Good Morning thread become the #1 place to ummm, pad your post count? Or is it just the polite thing to do?
Yes and Yes
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 8th, 2014, 11:04 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Has the Good Morning thread become the #1 place to ummm, pad your post count? Or is it just the polite thing to do?
Yes and Yes
Why not? :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 8th, 2014, 11:32 am

Who's Counting??
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 8th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Both.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 8th, 2014, 12:35 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Both.

You can also pad your post count in the good night thread.

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2014, 1:10 pm

CathyCA wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Both.

You can also pad your post count in the good night thread.

You can also post your pad count in the good night thread. I have only slept in my pad this year, but later this month I will sleep in a couple hotels and my parents' pad. In June, I'll be sleeping in TNT's pad. (Hotels and parents, with Julie...solo at TNT's.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 8th, 2014, 3:40 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Sadly, Road Runner created this situation by continuing to pander to Bar Minion. She gave her permission to do her own data analysis (which Bar Minion's husband actually did for her, although she's claiming credit), allowed her to write a manuscript, and submitted it to the top journal in the field. All of the unfortunate people who work for Road Runner full-time are very unhappy, and I cannot blame them. The work that Road Runner let poor, poor Bar Minion do was a project that had been assigned to Natasha. Kicker is, Bar Minion's husband did the work for her - Natasha did the same thing in an innovative manner and actually did the work herself. Bar Minion is now allowed to pick and choose what she wants to work on; all other tasks are dumped off on Boris. It is a huge stinking mess.
There comes a point where a situation is beyond saving. Unless the beer truck runs down Bar Minion and Road Runner this situation has reached that point. Time to decide which bridges to cross and which ones to burn (you have to burn some bridges to keep the crazy people from following you :D )
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » May 8th, 2014, 3:53 pm

So let her be miffed. The papers are published, and the posters were presented. What's done is done, no? Or does she want to re-publish Version 2.0 with revised authorship? That would be a waste of time. If I'm reading the thread correctly, BM only was the lead on the one paper where her husband did all the work. And RR told her to go pound sand.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."