R.I.P. Windows XP

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

R.I.P. Windows XP

Post by August West » April 8th, 2014, 8:23 pm

... and my 9+ year old Dell desktop computer. The only repair to it was to replace the power supply once. It is slow and clunky, time to put it away for good. Suggestions for a new computer and which OS to get are welcome. In the meantime I'll be using Mrs. AW's laptop. AW. :D
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: R.I.P. Windows XP

Post by CathyCA » April 8th, 2014, 10:22 pm

How do you know whether you have/had Windows XP or not?

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 9th, 2014, 1:26 am

CathyCA wrote:How do you know whether you have/had Windows XP or not?

If you right click on "my computer" and click properties, it will tell you. If "My Computer" simply says "Computer", though...then you don't have XP; you have Vista, Windows 7, or 8.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 9th, 2014, 6:23 am

August West wrote:... and my 9+ year old Dell desktop computer. The only repair to it was to replace the power supply once. It is slow and clunky, time to put it away for good. Suggestions for a new computer and which OS to get are welcome. In the meantime I'll be using Mrs. AW's laptop. AW. :D
Get a Windows 7 machine. If you get Windows 8, get a touchscreen monitor with it, otherwise you'll be very unhappy with 8, regardless of update version.

I just got a new laptop to replace my Acer net book with XP. It's taking some learning to get used to. I'm not there yet, but I found File Explorer, which replaced windows Explorer, so life got a bit easier! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 9th, 2014, 7:05 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
August West wrote:... and my 9+ year old Dell desktop computer. The only repair to it was to replace the power supply once. It is slow and clunky, time to put it away for good. Suggestions for a new computer and which OS to get are welcome. In the meantime I'll be using Mrs. AW's laptop. AW. :D
Get a Windows 7 machine. If you get Windows 8, get a touchscreen monitor with it, otherwise you'll be very unhappy with 8, regardless of update version.

I just got a new laptop to replace my Acer net book with XP. It's taking some learning to get used to. I'm not there yet, but I found File Explorer, which replaced windows Explorer, so life got a bit easier! :9f:

Agree 100% - Windows 8 works better with a touch screen. I am using a Sony all in one (which acts like a giant tablet too). I have been very happy with it.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 9th, 2014, 9:06 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:How do you know whether you have/had Windows XP or not?

If you right click on "my computer" and click properties, it will tell you. If "My Computer" simply says "Computer", though...then you don't have XP; you have Vista, Windows 7, or 8.
I have "Windows Vista Home Premium." I'm assuming that I'm okay for a while.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » April 9th, 2014, 9:31 am

My opinion even tho you didn't ask....Buy Apple, they last longer! :D
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 9th, 2014, 11:11 am

IowaDevil wrote:My opinion even tho you didn't ask....Buy Apple, they last longer! :D
I am very, very seriously considering going this route. The only problem is that the software I use for my work is not Mac based. I'm not sure how much of it is compatible. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 9th, 2014, 11:24 am

IowaDevil wrote:My opinion even tho you didn't ask....Buy Apple, they last longer! :D
We have an old PC and an old Mac. Julie uses the PC every day for her work. The Mac that we have (iMac G4) was produced the same year as the old Dell desktop. It is entirely useless, literally. The operating system cannot be upgraded due to hardware limitations, which means that the software that runs on it, including internet browsers, cannot be upgraded. This means that to do something as simple as surf the internet, is an exercise in futility due to the fact that websites will no longer display on the browsers that it has.

So an Apple may last longer, but it won't do you much good for as long.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 9th, 2014, 11:38 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
I am very, very seriously considering going this route. The only problem is that the software I use for my work is not Mac based. I'm not sure how much of it is compatible. :9f:
I have a MACbook Pro up in my workroom and a PC with Windows 7 downstairs we use for the family. They "play nice" together. I also have a Dell laptop with XP on it. It's about 4 years old. Anybody know whether or not I can switch it from XP to Windows 7?

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
August West

Post by August West » April 9th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: I have a MACbook Pro up in my workroom and a PC with Windows 7 downstairs we use for the family. They "play nice" together. I also have a Dell laptop with XP on it. It's about 4 years old. Anybody know whether or not I can switch it from XP to Windows 7?

Love, Ima
You can probably upgrade your Dell laptop. My desktop is so old that I would spend enough on upgrades to just about pay for a new one, and still have a 9 year old machine. Bless its binary heart! AW. :D
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 9th, 2014, 3:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Given that your software is scientifically oriented (at least I am assuming so) DO NOT go with a Mac. DO NOT. Unless your software has a MAC version or is certified for MAC don't go there. The memory caching works totally differently.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 9th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Not longer than the 9 years he got out of his desktop :)