Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Post by DukieInKansas » July 27th, 2009, 10:55 am

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I visited the zoo yesterday with some friends and got to see the lemurs in the children's zoo. They're fascinating to watch, but I couldn't help but think that it would be even better to observe them in their natural habitat rather than in a big cage.
Next time perhaps you could go as part of Team Lavabe as his domestique... :oops: :roll:

Oh, wait a minute. Wrong Tour. :oops: :roll:
I offered that several months ago. I think it would be the trip of a life time!
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 3:42 am

I'm back from the last survey of the season. We were in a sacred forest about 8km from the northern tip of Madagascar.

That was one loud forest!

And what did we hear? Well, I'll verify it with an expert first. Really incredible!

I'm cleaning up, then preparing for a talk I am giving and two of my students are giving. More details later.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 8:34 am

My Canon 70-200mm f 2.8 cost a bundle... and it finally paid off. And it nearly got me a priceless nocturnal shot too.

Digital photography: WHY didn't I convert from film earlier?

ALSO... kudos to the folks at TAMRON for the ASPHERICAL 28-75mm lens. But mostly, KUDOS to the people at Showcase Camera in Atlanta (by the Tara Theatre, wilson) for their assistance and recommendations. They did not steer me wrong at all.

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 8:46 am

Lavabe wrote:
ALSO... kudos to the folks at TAMRON for the ASPHERICAL 28-75mm lens. But mostly, KUDOS to the people at Showcase Camera in Atlanta (by the Tara Theatre, wilson) for their assistance and recommendations. They did not steer me wrong at all.

Cheers,
Lavabe
You should come back down and thank them personally. Then we'll go to the Varsity Jr.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 8:48 am

Note to ILJ: The first of the season mangoes are in the market.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 8:55 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Cheers,
Lavabe
You should come back down and thank them personally. Then we'll go to the Varsity Jr.
Umm, some place even closer to Showcase than that... The Original Pancake House.

Seriously, when you get back to Atlanta, try to meet up with Eva at Showcase to discuss what lenses etc... to get with your Nikon. They also have an Emory discount. Eva will know me... tall guy, Madagascar, bought two lenses, flash, memory & batteries from her, etc...

Oh man ... I'm Jonesing for a Waffle House breakfast. :ymparty:
Cheers,
Lavabe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 9:31 am

Two silly questions before flying home to the US:
1) What are you supposed to do when they ask you if you have anything to declare? What are you actually saying? What's the point? Seriously, a simple explanation would be helpful.
2) I would love to bring home some semi-dried vanilla beans (they'll stink up my luggage, but it'll be worth it). Am I allowed to bring them in the country, or are they verbotten as an agricultural product?
Thanks,
Lavabe
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 9:38 am

Lavabe wrote:Two silly questions before flying home to the US:
1) What are you supposed to do when they ask you if you have anything to declare? What are you actually saying? What's the point? Seriously, a simple explanation would be helpful.
2) I would love to bring home some semi-dried vanilla beans (they'll stink up my luggage, but it'll be worth it). Am I allowed to bring them in the country, or are they verbotten as an agricultural product?
Thanks,
Lavabe
1) Just Say No.
2) They're verboten. Do it anyway. Worst case scenario, you get chosen for a bag check and they confiscate them.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 10:49 am

wilson wrote:
Thanks,
Lavabe
1) Just Say No.
2) They're verboten. Do it anyway. Worst case scenario, you get chosen for a bag check and they confiscate them.
I've always been told to respond to question 1 in pretty much that fashion. But what exactly are you saying when you talk about things you declare? I declare I bought something that was $500? I declare I am a CT addict? What exactly are you saying?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 29th, 2009, 10:52 am

Lavabe wrote:
I've always been told to respond to question 1 in pretty much that fashion. But what exactly are you saying when you talk about things you declare? I declare I bought something that was $500? I declare I am a CT addict? What exactly are you saying?
It has to do with the value of goods you are bringing back into the country. Certain kinds of items, items over a certain value, and large amounts of cash, for example, must be declared, as they are subject to certain regulations.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 11:49 am

Thanks,
Lavabe
One bottle.

Three Horses beer.

In a sweatshirt or in a large sock.

In your suitcase.

Undeclared.

Any questions? :D

Please.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 11:50 am

devildeac wrote:
Thanks,
Lavabe
One bottle.

Three Horses beer.

In your suitcase.

Undeclared.

Please.
And just think, I coulda made that 6-8 posts. :oops: :roll: :))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 29th, 2009, 2:09 pm

devildeac wrote:
Thanks,
Lavabe
One bottle.

Three Horses beer.

In your suitcase.

Undeclared.

Please.
I don't think it's likely, as I have weight restrictions on the way back. Besides, your son is in a city that has a bar that carries it. :-B
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 29th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Thanks,
Lavabe
One bottle.

Three Horses beer.

In your suitcase.

Undeclared.

Please.
I don't think it's likely, as I have weight restrictions on the way back. Besides, your son is in a city that has a bar that carries it. :-B
Cat fight! Cat fight! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » July 29th, 2009, 8:44 pm

devildeac wrote:
Thanks,
Lavabe
One bottle.

Three Horses beer.

In your suitcase.

Undeclared.

Please.

Good try DD!! LegacyLady will tell you that I appreciated your comment and had a very loud, cackling laugh!! :)) :)) :))
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » July 29th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Lavabe wrote:2) I would love to bring home some semi-dried vanilla beans (they'll stink up my luggage, but it'll be worth it). Am I allowed to bring them in the country, or are they verbotten as an agricultural product?
Thanks,
Lavabe
Be sure to double/triple wrap them in a ziplock bag (or equivalent since I think that is not something we packed for you). Then bury them in washable clothes at the bottom of your bag. Maybe it will survive customs!
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » July 29th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Lavabe wrote:Note to ILJ: The first of the season mangoes are in the market.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
Let me cut the mango, let it cut it now, Wheeee!!
Let me cut the mango, let it cut it now, Wheeee!!
I am JEALOUS!!

But here's one for you. I am sitting at the kitchen table eating your broc chicken rice casserole. Now are you jealous of me? Or at least hungry?!

BTW, there are 2 more of these left in the freezer, 3 meatloafs, and a pasta pie!!
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » July 29th, 2009, 9:04 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Umm, some place even closer to Showcase than that... The Original Pancake House.

Cheers,
Lavabe
LL and I will go down with you!! How about Labor Day weekend? I want to go to The Original Pancake House. I've never been...

ILJ
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 29th, 2009, 9:41 pm

How about a bottle of Absinthe and some Cuban cigars?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 29th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Thanks,
Lavabe
One bottle.

Three Horses beer.

In your suitcase.

Undeclared.

Please.
At least I don't see a "no" anywhere in that sentence :)) :)) . Get rid of an old pair of sandals/shoes and substitute a 12 ouncer. :)) :)) :roll: :oops: