What are you reading?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: What are you reading?

Post by YmoBeThere » March 23rd, 2014, 10:43 pm

windsor wrote:Decided to drag this thread back from the dead. I have a bunch stacked up on my nook...(newer one than the one I mentioned at the start of the thread)

So what are YOU reading?

I
Ahh, a fellow Nook owner. I am infamous for buying into dying technologies, see HD DVD, Palm phone, etc.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 23rd, 2014, 11:25 pm

The Heart and the Fist by Eric Greitens

I also have a Nook but it may be getting close to time to replace it with a newer one.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 24th, 2014, 3:02 pm

IowaDevil wrote:Just finished "Cell" by Robin Cook. Enjoyed it but his fiction sometimes is dangerously close to reality and this book was one of those!

I read that. All of Robin Cooks books teeter very close to reality.

I just finished The Boys in the Boat - about the Univ. of Washington 8's that won gold in Berlin. It was quite good.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 24th, 2014, 4:39 pm

:-B :-B :-B I just finished reading The Guns of August, about the beginning of WWI. :9f:

I think my next book will be Always Get the Name of the Dog. :O3

:9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 24th, 2014, 6:49 pm

I read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks...having actually worked with HeLa cells...it was fascinating stuff.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » March 24th, 2014, 9:08 pm

windsor wrote:I read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks...having actually worked with HeLa cells...it was fascinating stuff.
That is so cool!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 24th, 2014, 11:05 pm

I will read the Girls Box Score from tonight soon. I am still disapointed. :(
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 25th, 2014, 7:12 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
windsor wrote:Decided to drag this thread back from the dead. I have a bunch stacked up on my nook...(newer one than the one I mentioned at the start of the thread)

So what are YOU reading?

I
Ahh, a fellow Nook owner. I am infamous for buying into dying technologies, see HD DVD, Palm phone, etc.

I love my nook. i have the small plain I- don't -do- nothing- but -read -books one. I bought that one (replacing my first gen nook about a two years ago) because ALL I want it to do is deliver reading material. I own a tablet (two actually) and a smart phone and a laptop (two actually) and an all in one. I wanted small, light and easy to read books on...very long batterly life is a big plus too. Hence, the Nook.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » March 29th, 2014, 2:22 pm

I'm stuck in the past so I have a library card and read my books in the form of books. Currently I am reading a John Lennon biography by Tim Riley. It is very good. The story is in the middle Beatles years now 1966/67 with the making of Rubber Soul, Revolver (my absolutely most favorite Beatles album) and Sgt Pepper's. I'm amazed someone who has the whole world in their hands can be so unhappy. His marriage to Cynthia Lennon was a complete train wreck long before Yoko Ono entered the picture.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 29th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Bob Green wrote:I'm stuck in the past so I have a library card and read my books in the form of books. Currently I am reading a John Lennon biography by Tim Riley. It is very good. The story is in the middle Beatles years now 1966/67 with the making of Rubber Soul, Revolver (my absolutely most favorite Beatles album) and Sgt Pepper's. I'm amazed someone who has the whole world in their hands can be so unhappy. His marriage to Cynthia Lennon was a complete train wreck long before Yoko Ono entered the picture.
I read a print newspaper with my morning coffee. I will not criticize.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 29th, 2014, 11:16 pm

Just started 12 Years A Slave.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukePA

Post by DukePA » March 30th, 2014, 11:22 am

TillyGalore wrote:Just started 12 Years A Slave.
We saw the movie a few weeks ago. I believe it is an extremely important addition to our historical archives. I plan on reading it soon.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 31st, 2014, 3:22 pm

DukePA wrote:
We saw the movie a few weeks ago. I believe it is an extremely important addition to our historical archives. I plan on reading it soon.
A friend told me the book is worse than the movie. I will decide later if I want to see the movie, though I do love me some Benedict Cumberbatch.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » March 31st, 2014, 8:11 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
DukePA wrote:
A friend told me the book is worse than the movie. I will decide later if I want to see the movie, though I do love me some Benedict Cumberbatch.
The movie was hard to watch because it was so devastating. I just can't imagine what the slaves went through.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 1st, 2014, 1:24 pm

Everything about Wojo to Marquette!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 1st, 2014, 3:18 pm

DukePA wrote:The movie was hard to watch because it was so devastating. I just can't imagine what the slaves went through.
For a really long time, I avoided reading about the slaves or the holocaust as I just cannot begin to imagine what it was like for the blacks and the Jews. I have always cringed when hearing about the cruelty one person can levy against others, and to animals. But, I feel I owe it to those who have suffered to learn more since I have been blessed with a charmed life in comparison.

What is interesting, is the way Northrup wrote. The style and prose is very different than how authors write today.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » April 1st, 2014, 7:48 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
DukePA wrote:The movie was hard to watch because it was so devastating. I just can't imagine what the slaves went through.
For a really long time, I avoided reading about the slaves or the holocaust as I just cannot begin to imagine what it was like for the blacks and the Jews. I have always cringed when hearing about the cruelty one person can levy against others, and to animals. But, I feel I owe it to those who have suffered to learn more since I have been blessed with a charmed life in comparison.

What is interesting, is the way Northrup wrote. The style and prose is very different than how authors write today.
Oh wow! You stated what I have been feeling, but unable to articulate. I too feel we owe it to those who have suffered.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » April 1st, 2014, 9:59 pm

TillyGalore wrote:

I need to develop that kind of attitude and start to learn. My stomach just turns to see humans treated the way they were in both situations.
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 17th, 2014, 10:04 am

I finished "12 Years a Slave." What a powerful book! It's one thing to hear from historians about what happened to slaves, but to read it from an actual slave makes it all real.

I was sad at the end because all the other slaves were left behind. I know this story was written by Solomon about his experience and hte other slaves were part of HIS story, it still saddens me that we don't know what happened to them. But I can guess. There is no doubt in my mind that some of Epps's slaves were beaten as he really wanted to know who sent the letter to New York about Solomon/Platt.

I just started reading "The Good Nurse," another true story. It is about a male nurse who was a serial killer, not an angel of death or into mercy killings, just a killer. Per this article from the NYT, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/books ... .html?_r=0, it appears the book is more about how hospital administrations failed. I wonder if I should pass this along to our CEO, I would hate to see someone at Duke get away with something like this.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 17th, 2014, 3:19 pm

I just finished two books:

The Orphan Master's Son

and

The Witness Wore Red.

Orphan Master is set in North Korea, and is a fascinating book. It was great. Not an easy read but a superb work.

Witness Wore Red - the story of one of the key witnesses that brought down Warren Jess of the FLDS (she was at time one of 20 something wives of his father, Roulon Jeffs -she was 19 he was 80 something). This was one of this books that had me wanting to reach in a smack some of the people. It was quite good. The militant feminist atheist in me did a lot screaming at the pages :D