Spring (Winter) Practice has begun

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Spring (Winter) Practice has begun

Post by Bob Green » February 8th, 2014, 8:23 am

The team held their first practice on Friday. The Spring Game is scheduled for March 1st. Here is the Spring Prospectus:

http://www1.nmnathletics.com/fls/4200/w ... pectus.pdf

Duke's roster, factoring in the 17 freshmen who will join the team (Johnathan Lloyd is already listed because he was a January enrollee), is at 89 which is four over the limit of 85.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Spring (Winter) Practice has begun

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 8th, 2014, 9:27 am

Bob Green wrote:The team held their first practice on Friday. The Spring Game is scheduled for March 1st. Here is the Spring Prospectus:

Duke's roster, factoring in the 17 freshmen who will join the team (Johnathan Lloyd is already listed because he was a January enrollee), is at 89 which is four over the limit of 85.
Are redshirts included in the overall count?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » February 8th, 2014, 4:28 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Are redshirts included in the overall count?
Yes, redshirts count.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 8th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Bob Green wrote:The team held their first practice on Friday. The Spring Game is scheduled for March 1st. Here is the Spring Prospectus:

So what happens? Are there four people who were on scholarship, who suddenly aren't?
Iron Duke #1471997.
dpslaw
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by dpslaw » February 8th, 2014, 8:35 pm

I assume that the 89 includes walk-ons, but I am certain that it includes redshirt juniors who will graduate and move on.

Edited to add: After reviewing the roster, it clearly includes walk-ons.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » February 8th, 2014, 10:37 pm

There's been some discussion on this topic on some other boards (paid variety). Short and skinny is this...we're over the limit as it stands. Jela won't count against the total next year and we think there's some injuries/medical hardships that may help (if you look at the injury reports for the games, you can figure who they are), but we're also unsure about Hennessey, a long snapper that was given a scholy last year, but was a walk on a some point, so they aren't sure whether he keeps that this year. Ultimately, Coach has stated that he expects some redshirt juniors to graduate and move on with their career post football. We really don't know all the details, but coach felt comfortable signing Edgar (DT) and Lee (WR). Both huge for our program, but at this point still an over signing move.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 8th, 2014, 11:49 pm

The Football Fan wrote: Short and skinny is this.
I will be praying to the dietary midget gods this works out. In Cut we trust. :wizard:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » February 9th, 2014, 6:11 am

dpslaw wrote:I assume that the 89 includes walk-ons, but I am certain that it includes redshirt juniors who will graduate and move on.

Edited to add: After reviewing the roster, it clearly includes walk-ons.
It does not include walk-ons. Redshirt Juniors who have already decided to move on (Nick Sink & Steve Ingram) are not listed. We currently have 89 scholarship players on the roster, which is four over the limit of 85. Here is the breakdown:

Freshmen - 18; Redshirt Freshmen - 15; Sophomores - 5; Redshirt Sophomores - 14; Juniors - 6; Redshirt Juniors - 15; Seniors - 3; Redshirt Seniors - 13. Total = 89.

Additionally, there are 20 walk-ons.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » February 9th, 2014, 6:25 am

lawgrad91 wrote: So what happens? Are there four people who were on scholarship, who suddenly aren't?
Four have to go, it is unclear how that will happen but there are several possible avenues:

1. Players who will be Redshirt Seniors decide not to come back for their 5th year. As I stated above, Sink and Ingram are not coming back and are not listed on the roster. There are 13 Redshirt Seniors listed and they are all contributors: Isaac Blakeney, Anthony Boone, Kelby Brown, Jamal Bruce, Takoby Cofield, Brandon Connette, Braxton Deaver; Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo; C.J. France; Dezmond Johnson; Josh Snead; Laken Tomlinson, Jamal Wallace.

2. Medical Hardship. I don't know how this works, but my understanding is some guys that have been injured could be placed on a list that allows them to stay in school on scholarship, but not play football. For example, Jared Boyd who has been hurt since he arrived as a freshman. I don't know the rules or procedures involved here.

3. Transfers. Yep I am talking transfers and Duke football in the same post. Does anyone here think Anthony Nash is ever going to break into the rotation at wide receiver? I don't. The same goes for Michael Westray at CB/S or Nick Hill at S.

It will be interesting to see who leaves and by what method.
dpslaw

Post by dpslaw » February 11th, 2014, 9:59 am

You would think I would learn not to post when I don't have a clue. Maybe I should just wander over to IC where being clueless is the rule and not the exception.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » February 17th, 2014, 4:38 pm

The snow and ice last week made for a slight disruption of scheduled practices. Practice resumed today. ;;)
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 26th, 2014, 11:47 am

Spring Practice has included alot of cold snowy days! Great that the Football program has the indoor practice field!!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 26th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » March 2nd, 2014, 6:27 am

I really enjoyed sitting with the CTN crowd at the Spring Game yesterday. Fantastic camaraderie and solid on field entertainment made for an enjoyable afternoon. The brilliant sun and blue skies in the 2nd half also helped out.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2014, 2:47 pm

Interesting, as Bob and I chatted about AB and BC, we thought AB had trouble delivering the ball to receivers with accuracy. Well, it wasn't an accuracy problem. It was a yardage problem. He was 10/13 but only accounted for 33 yards. That's just kind of strange, but I guess he had orders to stay with the simple routes.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » March 2nd, 2014, 4:27 pm

2.54 yards per pass attempt is downright dreadful! While none of us know the backstory, Connette looked like the starter yesterday. They are both 5th year Seniors, and competition is a great motivator, so hopefully the two can keep the "team first" perspective.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » March 3rd, 2014, 10:39 pm

I've stated before that I think BC is better. That's the eyeball grade in games....nothing else as I don't see any practices.

I think AB has a stronger arm, is generally more accurate, and is considered the team leader. He has the higher potential, but his highs and lows are tough. If a team takes away his first option, like Crowder, he starts to feel the pressure and gets too eager to deliver the ball. It's the 2nd and 3rd read that concern me with Boone. I think this is the heart of the streaky performances where he's so hot and unstoppable delivering great strikes to Crowder and Deaver, but when the first option gets locked up he seems to struggle getting it to the 2nd or 3rd option.

Connette's seems to loft balls more often, but I don't recall those balls being picked. Most of the time, he's hitting a WR, RB, or TE in the endzone. He makes mistakes...take away the pick 6 to Pitt and we may have an 11-3 season. Even so, the difference is he responds the next series and makes a play. He had the pick 6 against Pitt, but then went out the next drive and scored. He made more plays for us than mistakes. Though Boone is considered more accurate, I never saw a whole game where Connette consistently missed open targets. Against VaTech, Boone missed Crowder 3-4 times. Boone was thinking too much and I think the moment was a little big for him. I just don't think Connette would've made those same mistakes. He probably would've made some of his own, but the net for Connette always seemed to be more good than bad. I can't say that was always the same for Boone. There's usually reason's behind whatever surface observation is made. I think Connette is better as a playmaker because from day one at Duke, he's been a short down/Redzone QB. Every play he's been on for 4 years is an all or nothing play. 4th and 1...1st and goal, but if you don't get it, we pull you for Boone. Overtime, that develops the ice blood in your veins and next play mentality.

I hope none of this sounds overly critical of Boone. Boone was fantastic up until the end of the Chick bowl and had a great game against Navy. He's a big part of the 10-4 season. When's he's hot, he's awesome. If you have a strong arm and you hit Crowder in stride, that's a touchdown more times than not. His long balls to Crowder have stretched the opponents defense and probably created running lanes and openings all over the field. It's also fair to say the sample size for Connette is smaller. Connette's intermediate passing game may be more limited...I don't know. I can't say I saw an issue there. Boone's accuracy seems to be zipping the ball between the numbers, but when he's off, the ball sails badly or is off by 5-6 feet. Connette doesn't place the ball as well. He'll be a little behind a guy or a little lower than intended, but our guy usually has a chance.

Both are really good....to me....it boils down to this: BC - consistent playmaker (Brett Farvish in mentality) vs. AB - Streaky Hot (Eli Manningish...just not in the 4th quarter yet)
If the streaky hot was in the 4th quarter, I'd take AB, but it's not... so, I lean toward the consistent playmaker. I'd eat some mistakes with the hope that over time, they will decrease.

The coaches must like the dynamic though.....they seem to have the exact same thing in this year's class....with a little higher talent and ceiling.

Nico Pierre and Jonathon Lloyd

Connette's first play against Elon a long time ago was a lot like LLoyd's 3rd and 20 run during the Saturday's scrimmage. In highlights, Nico flipped his wrist and put a perfect spiraling dart into his receivers arms. That dart looked like a 20 yard fastball. I emphasize flip of the wrist, because it looked effortless. 40 yards tosses didn't have much arc on them.

Should be fun!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » March 7th, 2014, 11:25 am

The Football Fan wrote:I've stated before that I think BC is better. That's the eyeball grade in games....nothing else as I don't see any practices.

I hope none of this sounds overly critical of Boone.
Excellent post that I've been meaning to respond to for a couple of days. I do not think you are being overly critical of Boone, your comments are fair. I think some folks have forgotten it was Brandon Connette who played as a true freshman. Once upon a time, he was ahead of Boone in the pecking order.

Hopefully, the two RSr QBs can maintain a "team first" attitude. The possibility of a QB conflict is concerning.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » March 7th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Bob Green wrote:
The Football Fan wrote:I've stated before that I think BC is better. That's the eyeball grade in games....nothing else as I don't see any practices.

I hope none of this sounds overly critical of Boone.
Excellent post that I've been meaning to respond to for a couple of days. I do not think you are being overly critical of Boone, your comments are fair. I think some folks have forgotten it was Brandon Connette who played as a true freshman. Once upon a time, he was ahead of Boone in the pecking order.

Hopefully, the two RSr QBs can maintain a "team first" attitude. The possibility of a QB conflict is concerning.
Remember that it was Anthony who packed up Brandon's things and took them to Atlanta when Brandon's mother improved enough for Brandon to fly from California to ATL to be at the bowl game. (Aren't they roommates?)

Also consider that Thomas Sirk is in the wings. I suspect the emphasis on his running on the spring game was to give him chance to build on good progress in spring practice... great results so far in the rehab from that pesky tendon injury.... but also his running and not throwing much keeps his development and skill in that area unknown outside the program right now.... a secret weapon of sorts.

I don't know as much about Parker Boehme, but the little bit he played in last year's spring game showed glimmers of a pretty good QB.
;;)