Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CathyCA » January 24th, 2014, 9:30 am

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 24th, 2014, 9:36 am

CathyCA wrote:Image
ID, is this your backyard? :beer:
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » January 24th, 2014, 9:47 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
ID, is this your backyard? :beer:
I sure have enough snow! Will work on it today! :D
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 25th, 2014, 9:32 am

Review?

;;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 25th, 2014, 11:26 am

devildeac wrote:
Review?

;;)
It was frosty cold!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 25th, 2014, 11:51 am

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Review?

;;)
It was frosty cold!

Kind of watered-down. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 25th, 2014, 4:32 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Review?

;;)
It was frosty cold!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock

Eisbock

Eisbock beer, made by removing ice from partially frozen barrels of beer, resulting in higher alcohol content.
Eisbock is a traditional specialty beer of the Kulmbach district of Germany that is made by partially freezing a doppelbock and removing the water ice to concentrate the flavour and alcohol content, which ranges from 9% to 13% by volume. It is clear, with a colour ranging from deep copper to dark brown in colour, often with ruby highlights. Although it can pour with a thin off-white head, head retention is frequently impaired by the higher alcohol content. The aroma is intense, with no hop presence, but frequently can contain fruity notes, especially of prunes, raisins, and plums. Mouthfeel is full and smooth, with significant alcohol, although this should not be hot or sharp. The flavour is rich and sweet, often with toasty notes, and sometimes hints of chocolate, always balanced by a significant alcohol presence. The following are representative examples of the style: Kulmbacher Reichelbräu Eisbock, Eggenberg Urbock Dunkel Eisbock, Capital Eisphyre, Southampton Eisbock.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 7:39 am

Sisters of the Moon (cask-conditioned)-Mother Earth Brewing (NC)

This was one very smooth IPA. None of their standard or brewery only products were available yesterday after our brewery tour due to technical difficulties () and this was my only choice and I gladly obliged with my pint purchase. Cask conditioning (http://www.gotham-imbiber.com/realale.html) imparts a smooth, creamy mouthfeel to the product and, in this case, made a typically bitter IPA much gentler on the palate. Served in a pint glass with a moderately foamy head, this was a slightly cloudy yellow-orange, with a nose of citrus and pine and tastes of the same with a bit of caramel. I'd guess the IBUs in the 60 range and the beertender said the ABV was 7% so it was fairly well balanced and paired nicely with my BBQ sammich that I ordered from the take out counter at Wilber's in Goldsboro as we passed through there on the way to Kinston. But Wilber's is another thread :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 7:39 am

From last night's dinner beer flight at Morgan's Tavern and Grill in New Bern, NC, where they serve their draft beers from St. George Brewing Company (http://www.stgbeer.com/our-products/product-line/) located in Hampton, Virginia (hey Bob Green, I'm looking your direction):

There were five brews, each a seven ounce pour, that CB&B was kind enough to share with me.

Pilsner-A traditional German style lager made with 2 Row Pale and Munich malts with noble German hops that comprise a straw-colored pour with a small head. Notes of spring flowers and light caramel in the aromas and with tastes to match. IBUs a tad higher than I'd expect from a pilsner at 25 with standard ABV at 5%. A very soft, pleasant starter beer. Not as nice as Pilsner Urquell or Stella Artois on draft but a solid brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 7:40 am

Next up:

Golden Ale-Not the Belgian-style ale but just an ale golden in color with a small, very light tan head and faint aromas of citrus, bread and very light caramel. The tastes were similar. Centennial and Cascade hops for IBUs of 33 with an ABV of 5%. This would have made a nice starter beer for the meal, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 7:40 am

Third sample:

IPA-We probably should have had this batting in the 3rd spot but no harm, no foul. Poured a medium copper color with aromas of pine and resin. Tastes-ditto. This was an English style IPA so the IBU and ABV were a bit lower than American IPAs at 50 and 5.5%, respectively. This is a single hop brew of the Fuggles variety. Solid but not spectacular brew and paired well with my Greek salad and grilled chicken.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 7:41 am

And, batting in the clean-up spot:

Nut Brown Ale-Well, there were no nuts in this ale but it tasted a bit like almonds and hazelnuts but ever so faintly. Additional minor disclaimer: it was not very brown but more of a dark amber. This was my 2nd favorite beer of the flight and I think CB&B really enjoyed it, too, as he ordered a pint to accompany his meal. Head was small and tan and mildly creamy. Hop presence was minimal and tastes were of toasted biscuits and Kraft caramels. We should have tasted this 3rd as the IBUs and ABV, at 28 and 5% respectively, were a tad less than the IPA. Heck, we could have had this first or second as the numbers were comparable to the pilsner and the golden ale. Very good offering and would have paired nicely with a burger, ribs or beef roast.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 7:41 am

Fifth and last brew:

Porter-Based on IBU and/or ABV, we could have had this anywhere in the line-up, but, based on color and body/consistency, we opted for last and paired it with our desserts. IBUs were 32 and ABV was 5%, both on the low end for the style, but it poured a dark, dark brown with a mocha-colored head with the expected dark caramel and chocolate flavors and aromas from the heavily/darkly roasted grains. Astoundingly, all three parties of two ordered the same dessert, a slice of caramel, chocolate pecan pie with a light chocolate ganache filling and drizzled with chocolate syrup. This decadent dessert ended up being more cake-like in texture than pie, but the porter paired quite nicely with it.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 26th, 2014, 8:48 am

devildeac wrote:Fifth and last brew:

Porter-Based on IBU and/or ABV, we could have had this anywhere in the line-up, but, based on color and body/consistency, we opted for last and paired it with our desserts. IBUs were 32 and ABV was 5%, both on the low end for the style, but it poured a dark, dark brown with a mocha-colored head with the expected dark caramel and chocolate flavors and aromas from the heavily/darkly roasted grains. Astoundingly, all three parties of two ordered the same dessert, a slice of caramel, chocolate pecan pie with a light chocolate ganache filling and drizzled with chocolate syrup. This decadent dessert ended up being more cake-like in texture than pie, but the porter paired quite nicely with it.

Oh.my.goodness! That pie was decadent. I was so glad I had the calories to spare from the week so that I could enjoy it. Chocolate cake (pie?), chocolate chunks on top, chocolate ganache filling, chocolate syrup, nuts and caramel. There was nothing light about this dessert at all, and I enjoyed every single calorie-laden fat-building bite of it.

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 8:54 am

CathyCA wrote:

Oh.my.goodness! That pie was decadent. I was so glad I had the calories to spare from the week so that I could enjoy it. Chocolate cake (pie?), chocolate chunks on top, chocolate ganache filling, chocolate syrup, nuts and caramel. There was nothing light about this dessert at all, and I enjoyed every single calorie-laden fat-building bite of it.

You should have had a sip of our porter with it :D .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 26th, 2014, 2:13 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

You should have had a sip of our porter with it :D .
It was fine without the porter. Mighty fine.

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Adoration-Ommegang Brewing

Not a word used to describe my feelings for the clumpson tiggers at this time. Fortunately, I enjoyed this dark winter ale several nights ago. Poured a dark amber with a modest creamy head. Lightly hopped so all the dark malts could be accentuated and they are along with the 5 spices including mace, cinnamon, orange peel, coriander and cardamom. So, if you like spiced beers, I think you'd find this highly enjoyable. If not, then have a couple sips from a friend's pint and move along. Allow a bit of warming, decant into your snifter or goblet and sip for a while on a cold winter night. I'd guess about 20 IBUs and the ABV is a warming 10%. Well worth the purchase of a 4 pack, whether it be to share, trade or hoard.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Black Boss-Browar Witnica

Every once in a while, you find/receive a brew and wonder whether you should sample it or not. CB&B gave this to me Friday and I uncapped it last PM and found an absolute gem of a porter, well, a Baltic porter from Poland to be exact. It's style common to that geographic region and the only other Baltic porter I ever tasted was Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Think imperial porter. Poured a nearly onyx hue with a moderate, lingering head. Nose of unsweetened chocolate, coffee, licorice and molasses with tastes to match along with a bit of booze, figs and dark plums. Warming about 10-15 degrees from refrigerator temperatures helped bring out all the flavors. I'd guess about 30 IBUs and the ABV was 9.4% so I was happy it was only an 11.2 ounce bottle . Price on the bottle was $2.20 from Beer Army in Jacksonville. I'd buy several at that price for sharing, trading and sipping another night or two this winter. Thanks, CB&B!
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » January 27th, 2014, 1:40 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Would it make a good candle? AW. :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 27th, 2014, 4:38 pm

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/new-bre ... index.html

Something new for AW to try when he visits the inlaws, though he may have to travel a bit north. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.