Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CathyCA » January 1st, 2014, 10:39 pm

Woodchuck Amber Cider

Okay, it's not beer. It's hard cider, and it is delicious. It's apple cider with alcohol! My cousin's daughter is a senior at the University of Vermont, and she passed through Greenville yesterday and today. She bought us some Woodchuck Amber Cider because I think she's a little homesick for Vermont. This pale amber looks exactly like apple cider (because it IS apple cider), it is bubbly, and it tastes crisp and a little spicy, sort of like an apple pie. Did I mention that is alcoholic? It has an ABV of 5%. One 12 ounce bottle is enough, however, so I wouldn't recommend this beverage for anyone who wants to get a buzz.

YUM! I could drink this cider for breakfast! Even my teetotaling Mom tried it, and she liked it.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2014, 11:11 am

CathyCA wrote:Woodchuck Amber Cider

Okay, it's not beer. It's hard cider, and it is delicious. It's apple cider with alcohol! My cousin's daughter is a senior at the University of Vermont, and she passed through Greenville yesterday and today. She bought us some Woodchuck Amber Cider because I think she's a little homesick for Vermont. This pale amber looks exactly like apple cider (because it IS apple cider), it is bubbly, and it tastes crisp and a little spicy, sort of like an apple pie. Did I mention that is alcoholic? It has an ABV of 5%. One 12 ounce bottle is enough, however, so I wouldn't recommend this beverage for anyone who wants to get a buzz.

YUM! I could drink this cider for breakfast! Even my teetotaling Mom tried it, and she liked it.

:9f:
Ha! My wife tried a couple ciders, both at the Blue Mountain Brewery in June last year and at our house this fall after I received a couple in a trading session. She hates apple juice but liked both ciders, one plain and the other was pumpkin. I'll continue my beer hunting.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2014, 8:41 pm

Ode to Mercy-Wild Heaven Craft Beers

Their slogan: Serve Your Neighbor

Drink local!

This was a 12 ounce bottle from a 4 pack that was shared 3 ways after the CFA bowl loss but we still appreciated a fine concoction. Poured a dark brown with a smallish tan head, this imperial brown ale had luscious coffee, nutty, dark caramel and milk chocolate scents with a palate that mirrored the aromas. Brewed with specially blended 1000 Faces coffee from Athens, Georgia and aged in oak, which imparted a tad of wood and vanilla to the tastes, this was even smoother than I expected for a brown ale. A hint of citrus/bitterness form the IBUs of 40 were countered with a large grain bill and ABV of 8.2%. Serve at cellar temperature with ribs, sausages or pulled pork or, as a dessert sipper, with or without a slice/bowl of Georgia peach pie or cobbler and you'll have two great courses covered for your menu that evening.

http://wildheavencraftbeers.com/our-beers/
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2014, 8:42 pm

Drafty Kilt-Monday Night Brewing Company

Drink local!

I bought a 6er of this Atlanta-brewed beverage to (hopefully) celebrate Tuesday night/early Wednesday AM and bring the rest home for sharing/trading purposes (I'm staring at you, fuse ). Well, it wasn't much of a celebration but three of us split a bottle of this along with the next review and we still enjoyed them both. This Scotch ale poured almost a mahogany color with a faint smokey nose with some mild chocolate and dark caramel scents, too. Modest, creamy head with tastes that matched the aromas. Very mild Columbus and Willamette hop presence and IBUs of 26. Pretty standard ABV for the style at 7.2% with cherrywood-smoked and chocolate malts and roasted barley. This would be very enjoyable with grilled fare or game, and, if you wanted to have an oatmeal raisin cookie with it after dinner, you would not receive any beer infraction points for that choice either.

http://mondaynightbrewing.com/brews/...lt-scotch-ale/
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » January 5th, 2014, 4:34 pm

A listing of beers consumed/tasted at the annual Xmas/New Year poker game and party. We've been playing poker every year around Xmas for 30 plus years. Most of the beers have been reviewed here before. I'm too lazy to check.

1. Red Oak Amber Lager. No ABV or IBU's listed. My everyday brew.

2. Foothills Hoppyum. 6.25% ABV and 75 IBU's. Trader from a good friends daughter. It lives up to its name, very hoppy. Good brew.

3. Duck Rabbit Milk Stout. No ABV or IBU's listed. This is a beer that is much better if you let it warm up a bit. I'm liking this more and more each time.

4. Founder's Backwoods Bastard. ABV 10.2% and 50 IBU's. I got this as a trader at the last home football game. Maybe from dpslaw? Memory is not so good. This one will kick your butt. Tastes like someone dropped a shot in my glass. Very good brew.

3 NC beers and 1 from Michigan. I also picked up a 4pack of Founder's Imperial Stout yesterday from my local store. 10.5% ABV and 90 IBU's. Looking forward to tasting and sharing soon.

Hoppy New Year everyone! :D AW.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2014, 9:25 pm

August West wrote:A listing of beers consumed/tasted at the annual Xmas/New Year poker game and party. We've been playing poker every year around Xmas for 30 plus years. Most of the beers have been reviewed here before. I'm too lazy to check.

1. Red Oak Amber Lager. No ABV or IBU's listed. My everyday brew.

2. Foothills Hoppyum. 6.25% ABV and 75 IBU's. Trader from a good friends daughter. It lives up to its name, very hoppy. Good brew.

3. Duck Rabbit Milk Stout. No ABV or IBU's listed. This is a beer that is much better if you let it warm up a bit. I'm liking this more and more each time.

4. Founder's Backwoods Bastard. ABV 10.2% and 50 IBU's. I got this as a trader at the last home football game. Maybe from dpslaw? Memory is not so good. This one will kick your butt. Tastes like someone dropped a shot in my glass. Very good brew.

3 NC beers and 1 from Michigan. I also picked up a 4pack of Founder's Imperial Stout yesterday from my local store. 10.5% ABV and 90 IBU's. Looking forward to tasting and sharing soon.

Hoppy New Year everyone! :D AW.
I've never had the Founder's Imperial Stout. I've got some traders to nominate ;) . Backwoods Bastard is an excellent beer. The remainder of the list looked quite tasty, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Ode to Mercy-Wild Heaven Craft Beers

Their slogan: Serve Your Neighbor

Drink local!

This was a 12 ounce bottle from a 4 pack that was shared 3 ways after the CFA bowl loss but we still appreciated a fine concoction. Poured a dark brown with a smallish tan head, this imperial brown ale had luscious coffee, nutty, dark caramel and milk chocolate scents with a palate that mirrored the aromas. Brewed with specially blended 1000 Faces coffee from Athens, Georgia and aged in oak, which imparted a tad of wood and vanilla to the tastes, this was even smoother than I expected for a brown ale. A hint of citrus/bitterness form the IBUs of 40 were countered with a large grain bill and ABV of 8.2%. Serve at cellar temperature with ribs, sausages or pulled pork or, as a dessert sipper, with or without a slice/bowl of Georgia peach pie or cobbler and you'll have two great courses covered for your menu that evening.

http://wildheavencraftbeers.com/our-beers/
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2014, 2:24 pm

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Irish Walker-Olde Hickory Brewing

Winner of the Great American Beer Festival® Silver Award in the Olde Ale/Strong Ale category! That's pretty impressive. It's basically a barleywine style ale brewed with English hops (Fuggles and UK Golding) and a trainload (or more) of malts. Poured a reddish-mahogany with a creamy head, it emanated aromas of caramel, tobacco and a bit of smoke and whiskey. Hoppy presence is that of pine and resin with IBUs of 60, which is a bit low for the style. Malts win here with a potent 10% ABV. Allowed to warm for about 15-30 minutes before decanting, I savored half the bomber on Monday and Tuesday nights. Very smooth and almost syrupy. This was probably their 2012 bottling as fuse was kind enough to include this in a large trader box last summer. It aged well and, if I see a bottle or two this winter, I'd certainly purchase a couple, sipping one this year and saving one for next.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 13th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Daft-Urban Chestnut Brewing Company

Thanks to fuse and his halfway cross the country car trip last summer and a stop at the brewery in St. Louis, I was the extremely fortunate recipient of a 500 ml bottle of this several months ago during a trading session. Bless you. This is one of the better barleywines I've ever tastes. I divided the contents over two nights last week. Poured a slightly cloudy, dark reddish-brown with a thick, ivory head. Aromas were tobacco, dark caramel and whiskey as it is aged in rye whiskey barrels. In fact, according to the labeling, it was barreled in 1/2012 and bottled 8/2012, so it spent 7-8 months getting boozey and another 17 months cellaring. Tastes were the same as the scents in addition to vanilla, oak and dark, dried fruits. Incredibly smooth for the style with surprisingly low IBUs of 10. ABV was 9% and the whiskey barrel aging imparted even more prominent liquor notes to the brew. I'd order a case of this if given the opportunity and sip/share a few, trade a few and age a few. Best served in a snifter by itself or perhaps with some rum or bourbon balls. Outstanding brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 14th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Sour Devil-Blue Mountain Brewing Barrel House Series

Dark Hollow Imperial Stout gone wild. They took this recipe and added naturally occuringlactobacillus yeast cultivated from old bourbon barrels and put it back in the bourbon barrels and let nature do its thing (paraphrased from the bottle). It resulted in a murky black-brown pour with coffee-dark chocolate-sour cherry aromas, a generous foamy beige head and sour, oak-y bourbon finish with a splash of vanilla. Also tasted like whiskey-soaked raisins and figs. Very complex brew. Pretty typical IBUs for an imperial stout at 70 but fairly smooth on the palate, aided by tons of dark malts and an ABV of 10%. I wouldn't pair this with anything. I'd just warm for 15-30 minutes on the counter, pour into a goblet and sip for a while.

I had half of a corked and caged 750 bottle on Saturday and Sunday nights and I was one sour devil myself after the Clemson loss. In retrospect, the loss was still sour but the beer was devil of a good brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Sour Devil-Blue Mountain Brewing Barrel House Series

Dark Hollow Imperial Stout gone wild. They took this recipe and added naturally occuringlactobacillus yeast cultivated from old bourbon barrels and put it back in the bourbon barrels and let nature do its thing (paraphrased from the bottle). It resulted in a murky black-brown pour with coffee-dark chocolate-sour cherry aromas, a generous foamy beige head and sour, oak-y bourbon finish with a splash of vanilla. Also tasted like whiskey-soaked raisins and figs. Very complex brew. Pretty typical IBUs for an imperial stout at 70 but fairly smooth on the palate, aided by tons of dark malts and an ABV of 10%. I wouldn't pair this with anything. I'd just warm for 15-30 minutes on the counter, pour into a goblet and sip for a while.

I had half of a corked and caged 750 bottle on Saturday and Sunday nights and I was one sour devil myself after the Clemson loss. In retrospect, the loss was still sour but the beer was devil of a good brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Thirteenth Hour-Boston Beer Company

An oddly shaped corked and caged 750 ml bottle, two hop varieties, five malts, a top-fermenting Belgian champagne yeast, two special sugars and some Kosmic Mother Funk (KMF-more below) make up this member of Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection of five unique brews. This is a Belgian-style stout that poured a somewhat thin black-brown with a small ivory head. Quite a bouquet of coffee, dark chocolate, dried fruits, vanilla and wood. Tastes match well with the aromas with perhaps the dark fruits (figs and dates) being a bit more pronounced and a twist of sour. The two hops are lighter and less flavorful and have minimal presence with IBUs of 17. Tons of darkly/heavily roasted malts and sugars give this imperial stout an ABV of 9%. The KMF, which Sam’s website defines as, “Our special beer aged in wooden vessels for over 6 months. This beer is very fruity and sour due to a secondary fermentation with brettanomyces yeast. It is used to add flavor and complexity to each of our Barrel Room Collection beers.” I think I selected this about 3 months ago, paid about $8 and had half a bottle on Sunday and Monday nights. This is a highly complex and adventurous elixir meant to be served at almost room temperature and in a wide-mouthed glass, with or without a decadent chocolate dessert.
August West

Post by August West » January 17th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Stopped by TW today and picked up my 2013 bomber of The Dogfather. Also picked up a 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout. Yum! On Sam's Quickshop event calender they are hosting a 12 tap takeover by Dogfish Head from 12-4 PM tomorrow. Right during the NCSU game. :(( Maybe we can have a gathering at Tyler's or someplace similar before or after a game in the near future for a pint and a bite to eat. :D AW.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 17th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA... ever heard of it? I just picked up a lone bottle. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 18th, 2014, 11:51 am

August West wrote: Maybe we can have a gathering at Tyler's or someplace similar before or after a game in the near future for a pint and a bite to eat. :D AW.
Today would have been a good day for it, with a 2 pm tip off, but it's too late now, and next Saturday is a noon game. X( :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Lavabe wrote:Schlafly Tasmanian IPA... ever heard of it? I just picked up a lone bottle. :D
And you didn't send a bottle of it via your delivery service because...

This is post #13K. No promotion in PW University rank/status. When will the madness end?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 19th, 2014, 10:13 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Schlafly Tasmanian IPA... ever heard of it? I just picked up a lone bottle. :D

This is post #13K. No promotion in PW University rank/status. When will the madness end?
Just found it... will save it for the next visit. =p~
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 19th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Just found it... will save it for the next visit. =p~

:clap: ^:)^
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » January 19th, 2014, 6:23 pm

The bottle is a special release, and states: "... brewed with 100% Australian hops. They impart a unique citrus flavor to the ale."