2015 Recruiting

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

2015 Recruiting

Post by Bob Green » December 28th, 2013, 7:21 am

It is past time to start this thread as 2015 is projected to be a stellar recruiting year for the program. With the breakout 10-3 season, recruits will start to sit up and take notice. Defensive line is the early priority with two verbal commits:

DT Brandon Boyce (6'1" 250)
DE Zach Morris (6'4" 265)
dpslaw
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by dpslaw » December 29th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Bob, do you have an approximation of the number of available scholarships for 2015? Given the limited number of openings this year, I would think it is relatively high.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 29th, 2013, 5:28 pm

I don't know how many slots will be available but I agree with you it is a high number. There will be around 27 seniors/redshirt seniors on next year's roster, but I believe about four of those guys are walk-ons. I will try and find out what is the approximate number, but my guess is it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 or 25 once you factor in a couple of 2014 redshirt juniors who do not return for their senior year in 2015.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 30th, 2013, 9:00 am

The number I am hearing is 20-22.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 7th, 2014, 4:53 am

Verbal #3 comes in the form of Safety Jordan Hayes (6'0" 175) out of Loganville, GA.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1596642/jordan-hayes
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 13th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Not an article about Duke, and we are only mentioned briefly, but it is a good mention.
Clark said Duke’s success this season didn’t have a major impact on this year’s recruiting class, but he expects the Blue Devils to have a big impact in the class of 2015. Reggie Gallaspy of Southern Guilford, a four-star running back, recently listed Duke as his top choice.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/0 ... tQu9NJdXTp
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 1st, 2014, 5:13 am

Duke's top RB target Reggie Gallaspy has picked up an offer from Vanderbilt. For those following me on Twitter, I retweeted a bunch of info put out by:

https://twitter.com/PatrickCacchio

We are starting to offer some 2016 players as well including a QB (Brandon McIllwain) and OL (Tommy Kraemer). 2015 recruiting is about to heat up with the start of camp season.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 3rd, 2014, 10:38 am

https://twitter.com/PatrickCacchio

Brian Chaffin a 2015 offensive lineman from Charlotte Christian is visiting Duke today!

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=6942765
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 3rd, 2014, 11:00 am

Bob Green wrote:https://twitter.com/PatrickCacchio

Brian Chaffin a 2015 offensive lineman from Charlotte Christian is visiting Duke today!

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=6942765
Offered by Louie-ville, too.

He looks big. And mean.

:duke: :9f:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 3rd, 2014, 12:57 pm

devildeac wrote:
He looks big. And mean.

:duke: :9f:
And smart. The list of schools offering him includes some heavyweight academic institutions: Boston College, California, Duke, Harvard, Northwestern and Stanford.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 6th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Running Back prospect Reggie Gallaspy has received a scholarship offer from Cal-Berkeley. Vanderbilt offered last week. Duke really wants this guy:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=6808127

He also has offers from Illinois and West Virginia plus State, Carolina, Wake Forest, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Syracuse.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 23rd, 2014, 3:33 pm

QB Quentin Harris to Duke per his Twitter:
Quentin Harris
I am very honored and blessed to say that I will be committing to the Duke Blue Devils Football Program!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 23rd, 2014, 8:59 pm

That guy is almost tall enough. :duke:
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » May 23rd, 2014, 10:57 pm

One of the sites reported that Quentin was the number 1 guy on Coach Cut's board. If you're looking for the number of stars though...you may be disappointed. rivals is the most generous with a 5.5 rating and 3 stars, but scout doesn't have him ranked and cbs sports via 24/7 sports has his rating at 80. So, what does an 80 mean...he would've been our lowest rated player from last year if taken from that class. Still Boston College wanted him and UConn had also offered, so its not like he didn't have major programs interested. There's nothing about the tape on this guy that I saw that makes you say...wow! Granted...there's also nothing to make you concerned, but how many tapes show interceptions or that bad sack that shouldn't have been given up. So...why were we so high on this guy? I don't really know. But here's my thinking on all this...

Coach clearly knows what he's doing and develops quarterbacks well. Just about every program in the ACC had a higher rated qb signed either the year Boone and Connette were signed or the year before...yet either would now be considered better than all but 1 qb in the acc. Connette did not get there overnight and improved DRAMATICALLY from his first 2 years...especially as a passer. Boone needs to be more consistent, but he is really good and could wind up being drafted next year. So, again, we should trust coach on this one...

Here's some other thoughts. Think raw ingredients. It's also been quoted on various sites that this guy has 4.5 forty speed. He plays baseball and coach likes guys that play other sports. My term here, but I think he feels a player is less likely to have "body burnout" from overtraining in 1 sport. He's 6-1, but perhaps that not as bad as what people used to think...Wilson, Brees, etc...
While we never saw a great long ball on tape, I'm sure coach watched him throw in person and he does appear to have good form and spins the ball well. He was injured for much of the year so a short tape may have more to do with not playing enough games. That sample size may be the real reason less experienced raters are more hesitant to give him a higher grade. Coach may not have such concerns if he saw him in person. That said, spinning the ball well is important because it generally makes for an easier ball to catch. The best thing I saw on his tape was his touch and ability to accurately hit the short pass to the RBs. Considering Jela Duncan will be back, the guys we are trying to get a commitment on, AND the value coach puts on taking what the defense gives you, that's probably a huge asset. BUT...the biggest thing I think coach liked was between the ears. Reading between the lines, I think I'm understanding Taft is a good school and the 3.88 gpa is legit. He had offers from Havard and Yale. I think coach may be seeing a really really smart guy, an athlete, and a accurate passer. Coach probably says, I can work with that....if it doesn't work out, he'll have the athletic ability to be a WR or DB and he'll instantly know the routes if he's been training as a QB. By not going after mr. 5 star, he may also be avoiding qb controversy or really someone splitting the locker room and creating turmoil when they have to wait their turn.

At this point, I think you just have to trust coach. I'm still very hopeful we can pull in some major stars for the rest of the recruiting cycle. Still want a big name DE, but that's looking unlikely now.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 24th, 2014, 3:42 pm

The Football Fan wrote:One of the sites reported that Quentin was the number 1 guy on Coach Cut's board. If you're looking for the number of stars though...you may be disappointed. rivals is the most generous with a 5.5 rating and 3 stars, but scout doesn't have him ranked and cbs sports via 24/7 sports has his rating at 80. So, what does an 80 mean...he would've been our lowest rated player from last year if taken from that class. Still Boston College wanted him and UConn had also offered, so its not like he didn't have major programs interested. There's nothing about the tape on this guy that I saw that makes you say...wow! Granted...there's also nothing to make you concerned, but how many tapes show interceptions or that bad sack that shouldn't have been given up. So...why were we so high on this guy? I don't really know. But here's my thinking on all this...

Coach clearly knows what he's doing and develops quarterbacks well. Just about every program in the ACC had a higher rated qb signed either the year Boone and Connette were signed or the year before...yet either would now be considered better than all but 1 qb in the acc. Connette did not get there overnight and improved DRAMATICALLY from his first 2 years...especially as a passer. Boone needs to be more consistent, but he is really good and could wind up being drafted next year. So, again, we should trust coach on this one...

Here's some other thoughts. Think raw ingredients. It's also been quoted on various sites that this guy has 4.5 forty speed. He plays baseball and coach likes guys that play other sports. My term here, but I think he feels a player is less likely to have "body burnout" from overtraining in 1 sport. He's 6-1, but perhaps that not as bad as what people used to think...Wilson, Brees, etc...
While we never saw a great long ball on tape, I'm sure coach watched him throw in person and he does appear to have good form and spins the ball well. He was injured for much of the year so a short tape may have more to do with not playing enough games. That sample size may be the real reason less experienced raters are more hesitant to give him a higher grade. Coach may not have such concerns if he saw him in person. That said, spinning the ball well is important because it generally makes for an easier ball to catch. The best thing I saw on his tape was his touch and ability to accurately hit the short pass to the RBs. Considering Jela Duncan will be back, the guys we are trying to get a commitment on, AND the value coach puts on taking what the defense gives you, that's probably a huge asset. BUT...the biggest thing I think coach liked was between the ears. Reading between the lines, I think I'm understanding Taft is a good school and the 3.88 gpa is legit. He had offers from Havard and Yale. I think coach may be seeing a really really smart guy, an athlete, and a accurate passer. Coach probably says, I can work with that....if it doesn't work out, he'll have the athletic ability to be a WR or DB and he'll instantly know the routes if he's been training as a QB. By not going after mr. 5 star, he may also be avoiding qb controversy or really someone splitting the locker room and creating turmoil when they have to wait their turn.

At this point, I think you just have to trust coach. I'm still very hopeful we can pull in some major stars for the rest of the recruiting cycle. Still want a big name DE, but that's looking unlikely now.
Excellent thoughts.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 5th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Two more verbal commits:

Reno Rosene (OT) 6'7" 315 with offers from Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Washington State, Arizona State, Vanderbilt, NC State and more.

Joe Giles-Harris (LB) 6'1" 210 with offers from Illinois, Rutgers, Syracuse, NC State, Maryland, Boston College and others.

Both guys are 3 Stars on Scout. I can't wait to see Rosene after a couple of years in Duke's weight training and conditioning program.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 5th, 2014, 10:07 pm

I looked up "ginormous" in the dictionary and Rosene was pictured.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » June 6th, 2014, 11:04 pm

Ring the bell boys...we got another recruit on the truck. After starving for some good news on the recruiting trail we've pulled in some nice players over the last 3 days.

Nagel Flynn has a nice national ranking....better than Trevon Lee and he was the gem of the class last year. When I watch the tape, I see a Conner Vernon type player with a slippery factor. Seems to have really good hands. Doesn't look like a speed guy that takes the top off the defense, but just a tough guy to tackle. The other thing I liked is that he high pointed the ball well and won jump balls routinely on tape. I think he'll make some 1st downs for us on 3rd and 6-10 yards to go and on occasion catches the defense napping on some deep throws. Not sure if he'll be able to do it against Florida State type talent, but still looks like an excellent pick up for us.

http://247sports.com/Player/Flynn-Nagel-28432
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » June 6th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Oh on Mr. Ginormous....

He was at 345 for a camp a few weeks back. He said he's lost about 20 lbs and plans to get to 315 for playing, but was on his school's weight/strength build up plan to get to 345. Holy Molly.....

Okay, so we got Jake Sanders at 6-5 320 and Reno at 6-7 320.....and you thought Coach Cut went for it a lot on 4-1 before. If we get R. Gallaspy....Just wait 2 years and he'll start doing running plays on 4th and 3 yards to go. :D

Things are looking good!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » June 7th, 2014, 11:10 am

The Football Fan wrote:Okay, so we got Jake Sanders at 6-5 320 and Reno at 6-7 320.....
Don't forget OG Tripp McNeill (6'5" 290) who the staff is very high on. The word on McNeill is he possesses very strong technique. The bottom line is our offensive line recruiting has been very strong and continues to get stronger. I'm very excited about the future along the O-line as I am a diehard believer a team has to run to set-up the pass. Our run game was huge last season at 178 yards per game! Can we get to 200?