Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by YmoBeThere » July 25th, 2009, 8:38 pm

cl15876 wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Ummm...beer. I've had a few in the last couple weeks. Okay, okay, a couple. Both were Sam Adams Summer Ale.
Yummy, but where is your review? Come on ....???? ;)
Great literature takes time...
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 25th, 2009, 8:40 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Ummm...beer. I've had a few in the last couple weeks. Okay, okay, a couple. Both were Sam Adams Summer Ale.
Great literature takes time...
I hear ya, I still have a shrimp cake recipe to post NOW THAT I THINK OF IT! :-s :ymblushing: #-o Can't wait to hear your perspectives! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 8:40 pm

SASA, or SA2 I guess, is a very good session beer. I like most of their products. Try their summer sampler or a 4 pack of one of their Brewmaster collection beers like the Imperial White or Pilsner.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 8:41 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Agreed. Let's read it... ;)
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » July 25th, 2009, 8:51 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Page 2..bump, bump..

A few new beers this week..
Atlantic Brewing Brother Adams Braggot..My second braggot over the past few weeks and this one was quite enjoyable..billed as honey barleywine which really captures it well. Huge sweet honey taste up front. Behind it is a fairly decent barleywine with a nice malt to hops balance. Tastes a little thin compared to other barleywines though part of that may be because of the strong honey taste. A very sweet beer overall which works well if you are in the right mood for that.

Smuttynose Baltic Porter..Pours black with only a little head. Fairly strong coffee and chocolate tastes blended with a decent amount of smokiness. It lacks some of the bite and and bitterness of its imperial stout cousin and comes in a little weaker at a little over 8%. I enjoyed this beer though it kind of comes off like imperial stout-lite..

Tonight I go with either Wild Devil (given devildeac's favorable review) or Weyerbacher 14 (wheatwine) both of which are new to me..
You have (an) incredible sources for your brews. I have never heard of the Weyerbacher 14. I will be very interested in your thoughts about the Wild Devil.
I just waste too much time in too many liquor stores....I think it may be an addiction..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 8:52 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Page 2..bump, bump..

A few new beers this week..
Atlantic Brewing Brother Adams Braggot..My second braggot over the past few weeks and this one was quite enjoyable..billed as honey barleywine which really captures it well. Huge sweet honey taste up front. Behind it is a fairly decent barleywine with a nice malt to hops balance. Tastes a little thin compared to other barleywines though part of that may be because of the strong honey taste. A very sweet beer overall which works well if you are in the right mood for that.

Smuttynose Baltic Porter..Pours black with only a little head. Fairly strong coffee and chocolate tastes blended with a decent amount of smokiness. It lacks some of the bite and and bitterness of its imperial stout cousin and comes in a little weaker at a little over 8%. I enjoyed this beer though it kind of comes off like imperial stout-lite..

Tonight I go with either Wild Devil (given devildeac's favorable review) or Weyerbacher 14 (wheatwine) both of which are new to me..
You have (an) incredible sources for your brews. I have never heard of the Weyerbacher 14. I will be very interested in your thoughts about the Wild Devil.
I just waste too much time in too many liquor stores....I think it may be an addiction..
Hopefully, just a hoppy, err, hobby. :roll: :oops: :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 25th, 2009, 9:14 pm

devildeac wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Alas though, my one a alloted cupboard is full so the next month will be about pruning existing stocks instead of the hunt for the next great beer..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2009, 10:40 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Alas though, my one a alloted cupboard is full so the next month will be about pruning existing stocks instead of the hunt for the next great beer..
My garage "cellar" looks like that on occasion... :oops:
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 26th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Victory Wild Devil Ale--per DD's recommendation, and much like bluebear, I picked up a bottle of this on Friday and split it with my dad and uncle this weekend in Steamboat Springs (during our wild ale tasting that included 16-month Avery Fifteen and 5-month Avery Brabant).

I was intrigued at the idea of a hoppy wild ale, and on the nose, the refreshing, crispness of the hops is right up front. There's also a significant amount of sweetness in the nose that surprised me. But, make no mistake, right now (bottled on April 22, 2009) this beer is all about the brett. The smell is musty tack room (I went riding on Saturday and compared it the smells to authenticate :D ) with a subtle, but noticeable funk. The flavor starts with the funky, berry-like jam and finishes with a reminder that you are drinking an IPA. A few months in the cellar, and my guess is the brett will back off and mix perfectly with the hops. That, of course, means I have to go pick up another bottle for a few months down the line.

Great rec by DD!
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2009, 9:40 am

rockymtn devil wrote:Victory Wild Devil Ale--per DD's recommendation, and much like bluebear, I picked up a bottle of this on Friday and split it with my dad and uncle this weekend in Steamboat Springs (during our wild ale tasting that included 16-month Avery Fifteen and 5-month Avery Brabant).

I was intrigued at the idea of a hoppy wild ale, and on the nose, the refreshing, crispness of the hops is right up front. There's also a significant amount of sweetness in the nose that surprised me. But, make no mistake, right now (bottled on April 22, 2009) this beer is all about the brett. The smell is musty tack room (I went riding on Saturday and compared it the smells to authenticate :D ) with a subtle, but noticeable funk. The flavor starts with the funky, berry-like jam and finishes with a reminder that you are drinking an IPA. A few months in the cellar, and my guess is the brett will back off and mix perfectly with the hops. That, of course, means I have to go pick up another bottle for a few months down the line.

Great rec by DD!
"...have to go pick up another bottle..."

Heh-heh ;) . The horrors... :oops: :roll: :))

Glad you liked it and glad you can find some Victory brews out there. I am a bit surprised they distribute that far out west. You'll like some of their other specialty ales like Old Horizontal (barleywine, d'oh) and Storm King, their imperial stout. I think they brew an anniversary ale, too. I believe I have had #10 and have a #12 "in the cellar." :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 27th, 2009, 10:04 am

rockymtn devil wrote:Victory Wild Devil Ale--per DD's recommendation, and much like bluebear, I picked up a bottle of this on Friday and split it with my dad and uncle this weekend in Steamboat Springs (during our wild ale tasting that included 16-month Avery Fifteen and 5-month Avery Brabant).

Great rec by DD!
What a great review...right on the mark. I really enjoyed this beer but, as you suggest, the wild ale overwhelms the IPA...I expected more of a funky IPA instead of a hoppy wild ale....would be interesting to see what a little age does to the balance..

Sounds like a nice sour tasting...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 27th, 2009, 10:17 am

Collaboration, not Litigation Ale-brewed and bottled by Avery. This is a combined effort with the Russian River Brewery from California that sadly does not distribute here :(( . Both had ales named Salvation so instead of suing each other, they got together and combined their recipes/brews and I had a bomber last PM of batch #3 which was brewed in February, 2009. Two words to describe this concoction: fruit cake. And I like fruit cakes-a lot. I can go through 1/2 a fruit cake for dessert after a holiday meal. Now, to be a bit more descriptive, it is a Belgian style brown ale, or dubbel. It is a bit light in color but just as flavorful. There is wheat with the barley so it is slightly tart. There is also Belgian candy sugar and Turbinado sugar, both of which give it a brown sugary taste, too. It is brewed with two Belgian yeasts which give it a bit of sourness or funkiness. There are raisins and nuts (pecan? walnut?) in the taste and a bit of figginess and dark, candied cherries also. (no green cherries or pineapple chunks though-that's where the fruitcake resemblance ends, thankfully :roll: ) Pour yourself a goblet (I had a pint glass but should have rummaged around our vacation house for a burgundy wine glass which would have helped the aroma) at cellar temperature and cork the remainder (or share it with another beer lover) and call it dessert or a night cap. Or, as I mentioned above, cut yourself a nice thick slice of a quality fruit cake, and enjoy both of them after dinner.

If I ever see this on a shelf again, I'll but several bottles for "future considerations." And, BTW, it was 8.97% ABV and I'd guess the IBU about 30-40. Why they didn't take it to 9%, I'll never know. :roll: :))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2009, 11:28 am

Oh, my word. Page 3. Shameful.

Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale-bottled in 2008. Amazing bottle-neon red-can't miss this one in the beer aisle. The "base" beer, Dead Guy, is a maibock, IIRC. This is typically a lighter, floral, bready brew, like a typical bock. The Dead Guy is a bit "dirty" for lack of a better word, meaning I believe it is unfiltered, unfined and unpasteurized and is a bit cloudy in appearance. I don't think the DDG can make up its mind whether it is an IIPA or an imperial bock. It has the floral and some citrus hoppiness you'd expect from the IIPA style and some of the malty sweetness of a bock/double bock, but not much. The hops win. It does not make much sense for Rogue to make another IIPA as they already bottle one in their fancy arse, over-priced ceramic edition of the old XS series IIPA, but the DDG really tastes like an IIPA, much like Sammy's Imperial Pilsner tastes like an IIPA. I enjoyed the 750 ml bottle over 2 nights as it's 9% ABV and I'd bet the IBU are in the 75+ range. Can't say I'd buy it again though as the original purchase price was $10 and is now $12. :(( I'd rather have a Chimay, an Avery, a Weyerbacher or Ommegang for taste and cost reasons.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 3rd, 2009, 11:08 pm

devildeac wrote:Oh, my word. Page 3. Shameful.

Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale-bottled in 2008. Amazing bottle-neon red-can't miss this one in the beer aisle. The "base" beer, Dead Guy, is a maibock, IIRC. This is typically a lighter, floral, bready brew, like a typical bock. The Dead Guy is a bit "dirty" for lack of a better word, meaning I believe it is unfiltered, unfined and unpasteurized and is a bit cloudy in appearance. I don't think the DDG can make up its mind whether it is an IIPA or an imperial bock. It has the floral and some citrus hoppiness you'd expect from the IIPA style and some of the malty sweetness of a bock/double bock, but not much. The hops win. It does not make much sense for Rogue to make another IIPA as they already bottle one in their fancy arse, over-priced ceramic edition of the old XS series IIPA, but the DDG really tastes like an IIPA, much like Sammy's Imperial Pilsner tastes like an IIPA. I enjoyed the 750 ml bottle over 2 nights as it's 9% ABV and I'd bet the IBU are in the 75+ range. Can't say I'd buy it again though as the original purchase price was $10 and is now $12. :(( I'd rather have a Chimay, an Avery, a Weyerbacher or Ommegang for taste and cost reasons.
I almost picked up a bottle of that last week but passed and am glad I didn't after reading your review...instead I grabbed a clipper city below decks imperial IPA..yet to crack it but hopefully in the next few days..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 4th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Stoudt's Double IPA-from an old family brewery in central PA comes this hoppy, malty blend with quite a finishing kick. The hops are a variety with a slight predominance of grapefruity/orange peel tastes. The malts are varied, too, and lend a nice, slightly sweet taste to the ale. It is a yellow-golden and fairly clean, crisp and clear with a modest head which does not linger that long. IBU are 70-80, I'd guess and the ABV is 10%. It is bottle-conditioned so buy a 6er now and save a bottle or two for a fall Brunchgate or some winter trading. :D I had this several years ago and this is the 1st time I have seen it "imported" to NC. Kinda spendy at $14 for the 6er but still cheaper than a budlite on draught. :)) :)) And better/bitter tasting, too. These folks do a good job with their session beers and with their seasonal and specialty ales.

And I think this is #1500... :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 4th, 2009, 5:23 pm

devildeac wrote:Stoudt's Double IPA-from an old family brewery in central PA comes this hoppy, malty blend with quite a finishing kick. The hops are a variety with a slight predominance of grapefruity/orange peel tastes. The malts are varied, too, and lend a nice, slightly sweet taste to the ale. It is a yellow-golden and fairly clean, crisp and clear with a modest head which does not linger that long. IBU are 70-80, I'd guess and the ABV is 10%. It is bottle-conditioned so buy a 6er now and save a bottle or two for a fall Brunchgate or some winter trading. :D I had this several years ago and this is the 1st time I have seen it "imported" to NC. Kinda spendy at $14 for the 6er but still cheaper than a budlite on draught. :)) :)) And better/bitter tasting, too. These folks do a good job with their session beers and with their seasonal and specialty ales.

IT IS #1500!!!! Congratulations!!!! :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 4th, 2009, 9:36 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Stoudt's Double IPA-from an old family brewery in central PA comes this hoppy, malty blend with quite a finishing kick. The hops are a variety with a slight predominance of grapefruity/orange peel tastes. The malts are varied, too, and lend a nice, slightly sweet taste to the ale. It is a yellow-golden and fairly clean, crisp and clear with a modest head which does not linger that long. IBU are 70-80, I'd guess and the ABV is 10%. It is bottle-conditioned so buy a 6er now and save a bottle or two for a fall Brunchgate or some winter trading. :D I had this several years ago and this is the 1st time I have seen it "imported" to NC. Kinda spendy at $14 for the 6er but still cheaper than a budlite on draught. :)) :)) And better/bitter tasting, too. These folks do a good job with their session beers and with their seasonal and specialty ales.

IT IS #1500!!!! Congratulations!!!! :D
Thank you. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. I'm gonna enjoy a Stoudt's Tripple tonight and hopefully compose a short review. :D
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 5th, 2009, 9:54 pm

I haven't had one in a while. Maybe down in CT this weekend.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Stoudt's Triple or Trippel- As promised, a review of this pretty typical representative of this style from a good brewery about 90 minutes from Philthydelphia. Just about all I would expect from the brew with a bit of haziness from the wheat malt along with the slightly citrus, sour taste from the wheat and the Belgian yeasties. There is a rather modest head which does not linger long with a yellow-orange color. I like the New Belgium Tripple better but this one also has aromas of cloves, bananas and pears. IBU's are 35, IIRC from their web site, and the ABV is 9%. Spendy for a 6er at about $14 (so a bottle is still cheaper than a budlite on draught :)) ) and I'll enjoy 3 of these (no, NOT all in the same night) and trade/share the remainder at a Brunchgate in the next several weeks as it is a bottle conditioned ale and it should keep for 6-12 months or longer.

Next up, the Abita Andygator.
Turk

Post by Turk » August 6th, 2009, 2:43 am

Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale, Cherry Hill, NJ. I don't have DDeac's vocabulary, but I think it's my favorite summer ale. Golden color, more flavor and depth than Sam Adams Summer Ale. Crisp and clean finish, easy to enjoy a few in hot sticky weather...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."