Life is a Cabernet

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Life is a Cabernet

Post by lawgrad91 » September 17th, 2013, 9:52 am

August West wrote:From the 9/14/2013 tailgate, Verso Rosso Salento. A nice fruity red shared among Cathy CA, Lawgrad 91, myself, and tasted by serveral others. I thought it was very nice and went well with our Italian fare of the day. A nice addition to our regular beer tastings. My :twocents: worth. AW. :D
It was a fine wine. I liked it very much and it went well with the Italian meal genre. ^:)^ Thank you for thinking of us, AW. :ymhug: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » September 17th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Glad everyone enjoyed it. We will have to do it again. Suggestions welcome. AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Moscato-Villa Alena

The sweet Italian table wine version of budlite. Gifted to us by an unfavored relative whose name I fortunately cannot recall at this time, this poured a pale straw color with a nose of grape juice and simple syrup. A bit bubbly, I wondered whether it was a feeble attempt at a sparkling wine or was just past its prime. Taste was also white Welch's grape juice with more sugar syrup added. At a stunningly low ABV for a wine at 5.5%, I doubt one could drink enough of this uriniferous beverage to get a buzz without first developing a life-threatening case of diabetic ketoacidosis or hyperosmolar coma. I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest of the bottle. Mrs DD won't drink it and the children won't let me pour it into the dogs' bowls and I'd fear a visit and fine from the EPA if I dumped it down the drain so I may be relegated to small aliquots of this over the next several days until the last sickeningly sweet drops of it have been consumed.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 29th, 2013, 11:42 am

devildeac wrote:Moscato-Villa Alena

The sweet Italian table wine version of budlite. Gifted to us by an unfavored relative whose name I fortunately cannot recall at this time, this poured a pale straw color with a nose of grape juice and simple syrup. A bit bubbly, I wondered whether it was a feeble attempt at a sparkling wine or was just past its prime. Taste was also white Welch's grape juice with more sugar syrup added. At a stunningly low ABV for a wine at 5.5%, I doubt one could drink enough of this uriniferous beverage to get a buzz without first developing a life-threatening case of diabetic ketoacidosis or hyperosmolar coma. I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest of the bottle. Mrs DD won't drink it and the children won't let me pour it into the dogs' bowls and I'd fear a visit and fine from the EPA if I dumped it down the drain so I may be relegated to small aliquots of this over the next several days until the last sickeningly sweet drops of it have been consumed.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) - You had me at 'budlite'
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 29th, 2013, 11:56 am

I have been a Paso Robles (central coast) cabernet (always cabs!) binge for the last month or two. I just finished off a bottle of
Running With Scissors Cabernet (2010). Yes, I bought if because I loved the name...and its was $10. Well what a nice gentle little wine. Very drinkable.

Here is wine snob description:

Dark cassis, cedar and hints of eucalyptus dominate on the wine's rich nose, while notes of anise, blackberry and cherry fill the palate. Broad, supple finish. Best with Roasts & Grilled Beef.

I have found the Paso Robles to be very drinkable cabs (with shout outs to J Lohr, Liberty School and Sterling) not as intense as the Napa/Sonoma cabs. A little softer in flavor and finish. The drink well alone and with food.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2013, 3:30 pm

windsor wrote:
devildeac wrote:Moscato-Villa Alena

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) - You had me at 'budlite'
:D
What can I say? I was on a roll. Thanks. I thoroughly enjoyed putting that together.
August West

Post by August West » October 11th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Any of our wine lovers have a suggestion for the NCSU tailgate in November? I should hope they don't give us a noon kickoff for that one. I'd bring something for tomorrw but wine for breakfast doesn't sound good to me. AW. :D :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 12th, 2013, 6:43 pm

August West wrote:Any of our wine lovers have a suggestion for the NCSU tailgate in November? I should hope they don't give us a noon kickoff for that one. I'd bring something for tomorrw but wine for breakfast doesn't sound good to me. AW. :D :9f:
I guess since we're playing State, we ought to have a red wine.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2013, 10:41 pm

CathyCA wrote:
August West wrote:Any of our wine lovers have a suggestion for the NCSU tailgate in November? I should hope they don't give us a noon kickoff for that one. I'd bring something for tomorrw but wine for breakfast doesn't sound good to me. AW. :D :9f:

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 13th, 2013, 7:35 am

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc
How funny is that? The video about red wine features people drinking beer.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 13th, 2013, 10:04 am

I scored several bottles of Silver Palm on sale at Luekens locally.

http://www.luekensliquors.com/wine/dome ... oast-750ml

This is a very easy drinking cab. With food or alone it is just a nice wine. One of my absolute favorites!! I always have a bottle or two on hand.
August West

Post by August West » November 12th, 2013, 7:45 pm

From the 11/09/13 tailgate, Le Caniette - Rosso Bello. Shared by lawgrad91, Cathy CA, and myself. It went very well with the main dish of the day, BBQ. Comments are welcome ladies. AW. :D
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 13th, 2013, 8:37 am

August West wrote:From the 11/09/13 tailgate, Le Caniette - Rosso Bello. Shared by lawgrad91, Cathy CA, and myself. It went very well with the main dish of the day, BBQ. Comments are welcome ladies. AW. :D
This red blend comes from an organic vineyard in Italy. (My Sam would so approve this.) This wine was fruity and a little low on the tannins, making for a pleasant afternoon tasting session.

My mom had a sip, and she enjoyed this wine so much that she asked for another "taste."

Our resident clergypersons tasted this wine, too. It was almost like having communion, having the wine and the 'cue at a tailgate. ;)

As I recall, AW bought this bottle on sale, and it came in at around $10. Great choice, AW! Thanks!

I would drink this wine again.

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 13th, 2013, 9:32 am

CathyCA wrote:
August West wrote:From the 11/09/13 tailgate, Le Caniette - Rosso Bello. Shared by lawgrad91, Cathy CA, and myself. It went very well with the main dish of the day, BBQ. Comments are welcome ladies. AW. :D
This red blend comes from an organic vineyard in Italy. (My Sam would so approve this.) This wine was fruity and a little low on the tannins, making for a pleasant afternoon tasting session.

My mom had a sip, and she enjoyed this wine so much that she asked for another "taste."

Our resident clergypersons tasted this wine, too. It was almost like having communion, having the wine and the 'cue at a tailgate. ;)

As I recall, AW bought this bottle on sale, and it came in at around $10. Great choice, AW! Thanks!

I would drink this wine again.

I would definitely drink it again as well. I actually was eating bread at the time I was trying it, so it was very much like communion. I don't like a lot of tannin, either, so this was right up my alley. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 14th, 2013, 10:17 am

Living in a great country:

http://money.msn.com/investing/post--us ... -to-expand

Congrats to all the contributors/consumers.

:D
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 5th, 2014, 11:12 am

I have been dabbling in cabs from Chile and Argentina of late. I have this one

http://www.wine.com/v6/Crios-de-Susana- ... etail.aspx

Which I really enjoy. Not a lot of tannins, and nice and easy on the finish. Drinks well alone.

It was on sale at Luekens here for 11.99. A lot of wine for a little money!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 23rd, 2016, 7:12 pm

Bourbon Barrel Aged Wines

Let's see how far this one goes.

Stocked up Mrs dd with an assortment of California chardonnays and west coast cabs last week and came across a very intriguing Robert Mondavi Private Selection limited release Cabernet Sauvignon (2014) with a portion aged in bourbon barrels for at least 3 months and she agreed to the purchase, contingent upon my finishing the bottle (over several nights, of course) if she didn't like the taste/combination. I was somewhat surprised to find the bottle 3/4 consumed over the last 3 nights (she really doesn't like liquor) with nary an offer for a taste for me so I had a 2 ounce taster tonight and found it quite interesting. (And, just to show I really can't give it a rest, there were no IBUs but the ABV was 14.5%) Lots of tannins but many other tastes of black cherries and blackberries with ribbons of vanilla, oak, dark brown sugar and whiskey in the finish. I think this would be outstanding with one of our chefs' steaks from the Grilling Steak thread.

Any other thoughts? Gimmick? Blasphemous?
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 24th, 2016, 2:12 am

devildeac wrote:Bourbon Barrel Aged Wines

Let's see how far this one goes.

Stocked up Mrs dd with an assortment of California chardonnays and west coast cabs last week and came across a very intriguing Robert Mondavi Private Selection limited release Cabernet Sauvignon (2014) with a portion aged in bourbon barrels for at least 3 months and she agreed to the purchase, contingent upon my finishing the bottle (over several nights, of course) if she didn't like the taste/combination. I was somewhat surprised to find the bottle 3/4 consumed over the last 3 nights (she really doesn't like liquor) with nary an offer for a taste for me so I had a 2 ounce taster tonight and found it quite interesting. (And, just to show I really can't give it a rest, there were no IBUs but the ABV was 14.5%) Lots of tannins but many other tastes of black cherries and blackberries with ribbons of vanilla, oak, dark brown sugar and whiskey in the finish. I think this would be outstanding with one of our chefs' steaks from the Grilling Steak thread.

Any other thoughts? Gimmick? Blasphemous?
I now want to go to a brick and mortar liquor store to look for this.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 24th, 2016, 6:53 am

Since my other adult beverage passion is single malt scotch,aged in the very same barrels I will absolutely be seeking this out and giving it a try.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 24th, 2016, 11:33 am

You can't go wrong with Mondavi.

I'm going to see if I can find this Cab.

~ James Naismith