Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Why Can't IBU-Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Another trader from fuse. New beer and brewery to me but I have occasionally seen their products on local shelves I think. It's a Belgian pale ale and it poured a yellow-straw color with a modest fizzy head. The malts are relatively light and the hops impart some grassy, pine and light citrus notes. Hints of black pepper from the Belgian yeasts are present, too. No IBU ratings to be found so I'd wager about 30 and the ABV is 5.7% so a nice sharing/session beer and not strong or hoppy enough to gain entry into the IPA thread.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 28th, 2013, 8:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
August West wrote:A slight sidetrack from the regular reviews. Check out a TV show on the Esquire newtwork called "Brew Dogs". It is about two guys, (brewmasters), from Scotland touring around the US brewing beer in unique ways and places. So far they have been in LA / San Diego, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Denver. Next week they are in Portland, OR. Besides brewing beer, they list their top 5 craft beers brewers and top 5 pubs in each town. They also recruit "craft beer virgins" to sample different beers. Sometimes they visit a local chef to pair different beers with different foods. Check your local listings for showtimes. Great show. AW. :D
I enjoy being a "craft beer virgin" at the TBCC beer tasting events.

:9f:
Weren't virgins sacrificed many years ago in different cultures?
That was then. This is now.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 31st, 2013, 5:13 pm

Pale Ale-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Enjoyed a 12 ounce bottle of this with some light appetizers with friends while watching Duke survive on Saturday over VT. Classic "west coast" style pale ale with a bit more bite than you'd expect. Magnum, Perlae and Cascade hops lend some piney and citrus aromas and tastes and two malts, Caramel and two-row pale, provide the balance with the grains. Perhaps a bit high IBUs and ABV for a standard pale ale at 38 and 5.6% respectively. Poured and orange-amber with a modest, foamy head. Would match nicely with grilled fare or a bit more spicy entrees. Almost had two of these to celebrate the upset but had to drive home from Derm after the broadcast.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2013, 6:22 pm

Ovila Abbey Saison-Sierra Nevada Brewing and the Abbey of New Clairvaux collaboration

A marvelous farmhouse ale/saison from fuse as a trader a couple weeks ago. Unique packaging with a corked and caged 12.7 ounce bottle that was one of the heavier weigh glass bottles I've ever handled. Poured a slightly cloudy light, reddish-orange amber with a mildly fizzy head, this is brewed with 4 hops and 3 malts, including wheat (the grain from a farm, not the fisherman and c*rolina fan from Florida). The mandarin orange flavor is very subtle and the peppercorns, along with the Belgian yeast, impart just a bit of spiciness to the brew. Light on the palate with 24 IBUs and moderate on the ABV at 7.5%, this would be a nice brew pre-dinner with soft and mild cheeses or a fruit plate. Suitable dinner matches would include lighter fish with a mildly spicy fruity salsa topping or perhaps some mild curry or orange chicken.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » November 2nd, 2013, 8:42 pm

Here are some candidates for the NCSU tailgate. Since this will be DD's last tailgate for the regular season, its time to bring out the heavyweights. I will also bring some Red Oak Amber Ale per Rev. Lawgrad's request.

1. Dogfish Head - 75 minute IPA (7.5%)
2. Laughing Dog - Alpha Dog IIPA (8.5%)
3. North Coast Brewing - Brother Thelonious (9.4%)
4. Southern Tier - Creme Brulee (9.5%)
5. Shmaltz Brewing - Hebrew/ St Lennys (10%)
6. Laughing Dog - Dogfather (10.85%), 1 regular and 1 bourbon barrell aged. (purchased last November).
7. Allagash Brewing - Curieux (11%)
8. Stone Brewing - Double Bastard (11.25%)

No weenies this week. (except for Ozzies Costco's) ;) AW. :D

PS. DD, feel free to post this OY so others may be informed. (Fuse, Duke Taylor, etc.).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 2nd, 2013, 10:44 pm

August West wrote:Here are some candidates for the NCSU tailgate. Since this will be DD's last tailgate for the regular season, its time to bring out the heavyweights. I will also bring some Red Oak Amber Ale per Rev. Lawgrad's request.

1. Dogfish Head - 75 minute IPA (7.5%)
2. Laughing Dog - Alpha Dog IIPA (8.5%)
3. North Coast Brewing - Brother Thelonious (9.4%)
4. Southern Tier - Creme Brulee (9.5%)
5. Shmaltz Brewing - Hebrew/ St Lennys (10%)
6. Laughing Dog - Dogfather (10.85%), 1 regular and 1 bourbon barrell aged. (purchased last November).
7. Allagash Brewing - Curieux (11%)
8. Stone Brewing - Double Bastard (11.25%)

No weenies this week. (except for Ozzies Costco's) ;) AW. :D

PS. DD, feel free to post this OY so others may be informed. (Fuse, Duke Taylor, etc.).
Holy #$%&.

That's quite a line up. Your call on what you bring. I'll taste any or all of them. I don't think I've ever had #s 5 or 7 so I guess I'd bring both those. I'll likely add an imperial stout and/or barley wine, both of which would be >10% ABV.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2013, 7:18 am

Barleywine (2008 vintage)-Green Flash Brewing

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of two recent trading sessions with fuse. Thanks again. No fancy name here but the marketing folks at Green Flash sometimes give their brews clever names like Saison Diego and Le Freak. Poured a murky dark brown with some particulate matter at the very end, this potent ale emitted aromas of toffee and resin. Tastes were dark caramel/toffee and pine with moderate notes of tobacco and whiskey, all fairly typical for an aged barleywine. Not sure I've ever had this "fresh" and didn't notice the 2008 dating until pouring and perusing the label. Congrats to fuse for his patience here. I should not have swirled this near the end of the decanting so the chunkiness is my fault. This was still a bit "rough" after about 5 years of cellaring but that also goes along with a typical west coast interpretation of this style, a la Bigfoot from Sierra Nevada. Old Foghorn, Old Boardhead and Old Knucklehead are a bit smoother when fresh and take on more sherry-like notes with aging. I'm not sure I'd pair this with anything at meal time but rather suggest sipping from a goblet/snifter over 30-60 minutes as it warmed and the flavors aerated, much like you would a red wine. It's on the bitter side with 85 IBUs but the malts balance nicely as it checks in at 10% ABV.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2013, 7:19 am

devildeac wrote:Barleywine (2008 vintage)-Green Flash Brewing

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of two recent trading sessions with fuse. Thanks again. No fancy name here but the marketing folks at Green Flash sometimes give their brews clever names like Saison Diego and Le Freak. Poured a murky dark brown with some particulate matter at the very end, this potent ale emitted aromas of toffee and resin. Tastes were dark caramel/toffee and pine with moderate notes of tobacco and whiskey, all fairly typical for an aged barleywine. Not sure I've ever had this "fresh" and didn't notice the 2008 dating until pouring and perusing the label. Congrats to fuse for his patience here. I should not have swirled this near the end of the decanting so the chunkiness is my fault. This was still a bit "rough" after about 5 years of cellaring but that also goes along with a typical west coast interpretation of this style, a la Bigfoot from Sierra Nevada. Old Foghorn, Old Boardhead and Old Knucklehead are a bit smoother when fresh and take on more sherry-like notes with aging. I'm not sure I'd pair this with anything at meal time but rather suggest sipping from a goblet/snifter over 30-60 minutes as it warmed and the flavors aerated, much like you would a red wine. It's on the bitter side with 85 IBUs but the malts balance nicely as it checks in at 10% ABV.

I just might have to bring the 2008 Old Boardhead that I've been promising to CB&B to the NCSU tailgate...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2013, 10:35 am

From a duketaylor (aka DT) post OY:

Also representing at the NCSU tailgate:

Victory: Red Thunder, Golden Monkey, Dirt Wolf
DT: Raspberry Brown Ale, American Amber Ale (brewed with DT's fresh hops)

Maybe a few others.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 7th, 2013, 4:46 pm

devildeac wrote:Narwhal-Sierra Nevada Brewing

A shot of whiskey in a dark chocolate malted with a splash of espresso. Quite a brew. I have never seen this before but I think bluebeer, err, bluebear mentioned this several days ago and I found this in Harris Teeter tonight of all places as I assembled a 6er trader for tomorrow. Poured a thick, oily pitch black with a small, tan head. Nose is all chocolate and coffee and the tastes the same with a mild bite from the IBU of 60. This imperial stout packs a wallop at 10.2% ABV and the booziness is not hidden at all. It was $9.50 for the four pack and reasonably priced as I'll have one now, one in the spring, trade/gift one and keep another until next winter. I'd even consider another four pack to age for 2-4 years along with the Black Chocolate Stout collection I've assembled.
From 11/2012:

Narwhal-Sierra Nevada Brewing

A shot of whiskey in a dark chocolate malted with a splash of espresso. Quite a brew. I have never seen this before but I think bluebeer, err, bluebear mentioned this several days ago and I found this in Harris Teeter tonight of all places as I assembled a 6er trader for tomorrow. Poured a thick, oily pitch black with a small, tan head. Nose is all chocolate and coffee and the tastes the same with a mild bite from the IBU of 60. This imperial stout packs a wallop at 10.2% ABV and the booziness is not hidden at all. It was $9.50 for the four pack and reasonably priced as I'll have one now, one in the spring, trade/gift one and keep another until next winter. I'd even consider another four pack to age for 2-4 years along with the Black Chocolate Stout collection I've assembled.

From last PM:

Narwhal (2012 edition)

Aged well. :D ;)

Perhaps a bit smoother and more chocolate-y but darned glad I saved one from last year. Well worth the initial purchase and patience.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 10th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Hitachino Nest White Ale-Kiuchi Brewery

A Japanese rendering of a Belgian style white ale, and very well done, too. Two malts, lager and wheat. Two hops, Perle and Styrian Golding. Poured a slightly cloudy, very light straw color and aromas of citrus, ginger and hair spray (credit: CathyCA) and tastes of orange and ginger. I gotta admit, I missed the aromas of coriander and nutmeg which are added, along with their tastes. And they claim no ginger, so, I miscalled that one, too. August West bought this on a whim (and on sale, too!) and this was our starter beer, sharing a 330 ml bottle that accompanied a salad, some fruit and potato salad, along with some pulled pork. The IBUs are 13 and the ABV was 5.5%. Overall, a very pleasant ale on a cool, somewhat overcast fall afternoon prior to launching into the remainder of the food and beverages of the day.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 10th, 2013, 8:00 pm

75 Minute IPA-Dogfish Head Brewing

Another contribution from August West to tailgate yesterday and an excellent combination of their 60 and 90 Minute IPAs, though the 90 is really an IIPA. So, does that make this an almost imperial IPA or is it a 1.5 IPA? As you might expect, the stats are an average of the two brews with IBUs of 75 and ABV of 7.5%. Poured a clear dark amber with a bouquet of pine, resin and citrus with sweet caramel/maple aromas, too, from the heavy malt body and the addition of maple syrup. Not sweet enough that you'd think about pouring on your pancakes or waffles but just enough to tantalize the palate. Matched well with the pulled pig and all the fixins. Also paired nicely with the pumpkin/pecan cheesecake, deep dish caramel apple pie, red velvet cream cheese pimp cake and pineapple layer cake. Too many desserts yesterday. Definitely worth finding and sharing.

Great label too but can't figure out how to include the image.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 10th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Old Boardhead (2008 version)-Full Sail Brewing

I've promised to share this bomber with CB&B for several years and decided this would be a good tailgate to uncap it. Purchased at the brewery in Hood River, Oregon in March, 2009 for the astronomical sum of $3 (no typo), this specimen aged extremely well if the reaction of the group was any indication. You take chances cellaring brews this long but many times, you reap the rewards of a richer, more mature product, especially with high gravity ales. Poured a cloudy/murky tan/brown with a small head. Aromas of sherry, whiskey, tobacco and medium caramel with tastes to match. Despite the IBUs of 91 (based on the 2012 version), this was a very smooth, easy sipping beverage. ABV of 9% was a bit deceptive as tastes were minimally boozey. Pairing with a deep dish caramel apple pie sample was a pleasant surprise. Had to dab a small tear from my cheek as I coaxed the last drop from my glass as these are not distributed here so I'm not sure when I'll taste another of my top 5 barleywines again. This was my second favorite brew of the afternoon as I think I liked the 75 Minute a bit more. Others appeared to really, really appreciate this fine beverage. Another 99 score from ratebeer.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 11th, 2013, 10:06 am

devildeac wrote:Hitachino Nest White Ale-Kiuchi Brewery

A Japanese rendering of a Belgian style white ale, and very well done, too. Two malts, lager and wheat. Two hops, Perle and Styrian Golding. Poured a slightly cloudy, very light straw color and aromas of citrus, ginger and hair spray (credit: CathyCA) and tastes of orange and ginger. I gotta admit, I missed the aromas of coriander and nutmeg which are added, along with their tastes. And they claim no ginger, so, I miscalled that one, too. August West bought this on a whim (and on sale, too!) and this was our starter beer, sharing a 330 ml bottle that accompanied a salad, some fruit and potato salad, along with some pulled pork. The IBUs are 13 and the ABV was 5.5%. Overall, a very pleasant ale on a cool, somewhat overcast fall afternoon prior to launching into the remainder of the food and beverages of the day.
If you've ever gotten Final Net (remember that in the '80s, ladies?) in your mouth while spraying your hair, you'll know EXACTLY what this beer tastes like.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
August West

Post by August West » November 11th, 2013, 10:52 am

CathyCA wrote:

If you've ever gotten Final Net (remember that in the '80s, ladies?) in your mouth while spraying your hair, you'll know EXACTLY what this beer tastes like.

I think she likes it. :-BD ;) AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2013, 4:11 pm

August West wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

I think she likes it. :-BD ;) AW. :D
She also nailed the Creme Brulee after tasting it. More tonight.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2013, 5:35 pm

I think I'm going to make this an annual event/post (re-cycled from 2011 and 2012) :

Worth re-posting with the note that August West brought it this year.
Saturday's beer tasting winner was:

Creme Brulee-Southern Tier Brewing

This represents a style I have never tasted, heard of or thought of before and that is an imperial milk stout and we all have dpslaw to thank for this selection. Great choice!

Think of a black as night imperial stout, add vanilla beans and lactose sugar to the grains and you get a viscous, oily and smooth as silk pour with a small head and fabulous aromas of dark, dark chocolate and rich espresso. There is a small head, the roasty bitterness you'd expect with the coffee and cacao flavors that are smoothed by the sweetness of the mild stout style and vanilla. This is one of the darker beers I have ever had with a lovibond rating of 195 but they make several others with a rating of 220-245. The blackest beer I have ever tasted/seen is the Rogue XS Imperial Stout at about 250. I sipped this brew with a chocolate chip cookie, a sinful brownie and by itself and my taste buds were tickled with all three options. I might move this into one of my top 10 beers and would not hesitate to buy a bomber or two if I see it at Total Wine this fall. Outstanding concoction.

Thanks again to dpslaw for taking a chance and bringing this to the tailgate on Saturday.

2013 thoughts (beer courtesy of August West again this year):

More of the same. Last beer of tailgate on Saturday and this year served with a small fudge cup topped with a dark chocolate covered coffee bean. Well, I may have had a chocolate chocolate chip walnut brownie with my 4-5 ounce portion, too. Heavenly. I'll echo a caveat I think fuse mentioned last year and that is enjoy a small portion of this if you are able and don't try to finish the bomber in 1-2 nights. This is best shared with 5-6 people as we did on Saturday. I'll estimate an IBU of 60 and the ABV is listed at 9.6%. Decadent.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 11th, 2013, 5:58 pm

devildeac wrote:I think I'm going to make this an annual event/post (re-cycled from 2011 and 2012) :

Worth re-posting with the note that August West brought it this year.
Saturday's beer tasting winner was:

Creme Brulee-Southern Tier Brewing

This represents a style I have never tasted, heard of or thought of before and that is an imperial milk stout and we all have dpslaw to thank for this selection. Great choice!

Think of a black as night imperial stout, add vanilla beans and lactose sugar to the grains and you get a viscous, oily and smooth as silk pour with a small head and fabulous aromas of dark, dark chocolate and rich espresso. There is a small head, the roasty bitterness you'd expect with the coffee and cacao flavors that are smoothed by the sweetness of the mild stout style and vanilla. This is one of the darker beers I have ever had with a lovibond rating of 195 but they make several others with a rating of 220-245. The blackest beer I have ever tasted/seen is the Rogue XS Imperial Stout at about 250. I sipped this brew with a chocolate chip cookie, a sinful brownie and by itself and my taste buds were tickled with all three options. I might move this into one of my top 10 beers and would not hesitate to buy a bomber or two if I see it at Total Wine this fall. Outstanding concoction.

Thanks again to dpslaw for taking a chance and bringing this to the tailgate on Saturday.

2013 thoughts (beer courtesy of August West again this year):

More of the same. Last beer of tailgate on Saturday and this year served with a small fudge cup topped with a dark chocolate covered coffee bean. Well, I may have had a chocolate chocolate chip walnut brownie with my 4-5 ounce portion, too. Heavenly. I'll echo a caveat I think fuse mentioned last year and that is enjoy a small portion of this if you are able and don't try to finish the bomber in 1-2 nights. This is best shared with 5-6 people as we did on Saturday. I'll estimate an IBU of 60 and the ABV is listed at 9.6%. Decadent.
This beer tastes exactly like creme brulee. EXACTLY. I hadn't seen the bottle, and I guessed this beer immediately on Saturday. At first sniff, it had the aroma of caramel, but upon tasting, there was no doubt: this was creme brulee. YUM!

~ James Naismith
August West

Post by August West » November 17th, 2013, 9:46 pm

It's been almost a week since the last posting in the "ymm beer" thread. Here are the beers sampled in the final home tailgate for the 2013 season.

1. Brother Thelonious - North Coast Brewing, Fort Bragg, CA.
2. The Czar - Avery Brewing, Boulder, CO.
An Imperial Stout ABV 11.1% (stout indeed!)
3. The Dogfather - Laughing Dog Brewing, Ponderay, ID.

Beers 1 and 3 are making repeat appearances from tailgates past and were provided by AW. :D Beer number 2 was provided by dpslaw. (not sure if it was from Tom or Dave).

1 and 3 have been previously reviewed by DD. I hope we get a bowl with a warm climate for the grand finale tailgate and beer tasting of 2013. AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 19th, 2013, 10:47 pm

August West wrote:It's been almost a week since the last posting in the "ymm beer" thread. Here are the beers sampled in the final home tailgate for the 2013 season.

1. Brother Thelonious - North Coast Brewing, Fort Bragg, CA.
2. The Czar - Avery Brewing, Boulder, CO.
An Imperial Stout ABV 11.1% (stout indeed!)
3. The Dogfather - Laughing Dog Brewing, Ponderay, ID.

Beers 1 and 3 are making repeat appearances from tailgates past and were provided by AW. :D Beer number 2 was provided by dpslaw. (not sure if it was from Tom or Dave).

1 and 3 have been previously reviewed by DD. I hope we get a bowl with a warm climate for the grand finale tailgate and beer tasting of 2013. AW. :D
I reviewed The Czar but not since January, 2010:

Czar-Avery's imperial stout-fascinating brew. Typical imperial stout characteristics with a very dark brown pour and aromas and tastes of licorice and molasses. Also flavors of bittersweet chocolate with an IBU of 70 and an ABV of 10.77% (that's what is on the bottle folks...) Also tastes like there is a shot of dark rum in my glass. I divided a bomber over 2 nights and both nights are pretty much the same. I think tonight's tasting is closer to room temp than last night's. Only bought 1 bomber in the fall but it might be interesting to age a bottle for a year or two to see if it matured any. Might also be interesting to age this on oak or in whiskey barrels to see what different characteristics it might develop. Of course, it is mighty fine this year, too. This was a bottle that just never made it to a Brunchgate but did in 2008. Oh, well, maybe next year... ;) :D Ya gotta taste this at cellar or near room temp and sip it over an hour or so to appreciate all the flavors here.