Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Red's Rye PA-Founder's Brewing

I sampled a couple ounces of this last PM at a wedding reception when I was on call and shouldn't be partaking but it was available and I just had to taste my daughter's bottle. Poured a reddish-brown with a moderate tan head and aromas of fresh grapefruit wafted through the air. Tastes were caramel, citrus and a bit of mustiness from the rye malt, giving this somewhat unique flavors for an IPA. Pretty serious hops here with IBUs of 70 but a good grain balance and ABV of 6.6% This was served during cocktail hour with bruschetta and mini-beef Wellington puff pastries, I thought it was a bit strong with the tomato topping but matched nicely with the beef. There aren't many Founder's brews that I haven't enjoyed. Definitely worth a taste and purchase.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Originally reviewed in July, 2009:

Founder's Dirty Bastard-A Scottish style ale. It is a bit different than the Scotch ale I am used to/was expecting. The caramel and chocolate malts were present and it had a bit more hop presence at 50 IBU than I think of for this style. Hints of brown sugar and toffee but I swear it tasted a bit like tutti-fruitty which was real unusual. I might let the next one reach cellar temp before imbibing and make it a dessert beer with an oatmeal raisin or snicker doodle cookie instead of the 2nd of a session (after my last CB&B Dunkelweiss) 'cuz it is potent at 8.5% ABV.

2013 version/thoughts:

Tasted as a two ounce sample when I shouldn't have been tasting (), I found this to be very similar to my first exposure in 2009 as above. Perhaps a bit less tutti-fruitty and more caramel-y. The IBUs of 50 are still there and a bit unusual for a Scotch ale. Served during cocktail hour with the same appetizers as the Red's Rye PA, I thought this paired nicely with both the tomato and the beef offerings. If you can find a carton of this brew, buy it as it is another one of many outstanding Founder's products.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » October 14th, 2013, 2:22 pm

I'm hanging out at my sister-in-law's house in Augusta, GA for the day so I picked up a Sweet Water Brewing Company Sampler pack to go along with some steaks I'll be throwing on the grill later on. I've started with a LowRYEder IPA!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 14th, 2013, 9:36 pm

Bob Green wrote:I'm hanging out at my sister-in-law's house in Augusta, GA for the day so I picked up a Sweet Water Brewing Company Sampler pack to go along with some steaks I'll be throwing on the grill later on. I've started with a LowRYEder IPA!
Good choice. I like Sweet Water brews and their sampler pack gives you a nice variety from which to choose and learn about different styles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Big Leaf Maple-Anchor Brewing

An autumn red ale gently flavored with maple syrup. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how/where/when I received this. I think it was from fuse but it coulda been August West. I'll give them each 0.5 credits. Poured a reddish-brown with a floral nose and very subtle maple scents. Nice mild hop presence with a blend of Citra, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin which imparted an almost pink zinfandel type taste to it, too. Malts were two caramel and pale and the balance was smooth. I'd guess IBUs about 30 and ABV listed at 6%. Served by itself last PM, this would also pair nicely with grilled fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Pumpkick-New Belgium Brewing

Now this one was definitely included in a recent trading session with fuse and is an intriguing twist on the plethora of pumpkin products permeating the palate in recent years. Poured an orange red and had spicy aromas of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. The spice were mildly understated as was the pumpkin juice added. What made this intriguing was the addition of cranberries and lemongrass to the brew. The cranberry juice, as expected, gave it a slight tartness and the lemongrass a bit of an herbal kick. I sipped this with a handful of candied/glazed pecans so I find no need now to eat Thanksgiving dinner next month as I have already enjoyed a side dish and two desserts that traditionally accompany that holiday meal. No IBUs listed anywhere but I'd guess 20 and the ABV is 6% so a nice ale that's not overpowering with spices that would blend nicely with your holiday meal and/or desserts.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Chocolate Bock (circa 2011)-Boston Beer Company

Another bottle lifted from my BIL's 'fridge last PM and enjoyed as my dessert. This brew was originally marketed in 750 ml bottles and then re-packaged in 12 ounce aliquots as part of a winter seasonal 12 pack, IIRC. Poured a mahogany hue with a small head and rich aromas of cocoa as it is brewed with/on dark Ecuadorian chocolate nibs. Prominent bready/biscuit-y notes here, too. In fact, think of a chocolate croissant that has been toasted to a dark brown but not quite burned. The warmer the brew got over the 20 minutes I sipped it, the more luscious the tastes became. I suspect you might find this soon in the onslaught of winter samplers invading your grocery store/specialty shop shelves, along with their winter porter, Old Fezziwig, a winter ale and, of course, the obligatory inclusion of two bottles of their omnipresent Boston Lager.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 19th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Weeping Willow Wit (April, 2011 edition)-Mother Earth Brewing

Drinking a wheat beer that is about 2.5 years old is generally not recommended but that was one of the brews in my BIL's 'fridge tonight so, with him outta town, I gave it a pour, ready to dump it at the first scent/taste of spoilage. But, other than being a bit flat, it paired rather nicely with a chicken breast (hope that gets by the filters) with a yogurt/panko/parmesan topping, green beans, boiled redskin 'taters and some out of season but still rather tasty fresh tomatoes. Poured a clear, pale straw color into a 2010 Duke National Champions pint glass (maybe everything tastes better out of one of those glasses) with a small fizzy head that promptly disappeared. Light citrus tastes, typical of a wheat beer, with some floral notes. I'd guess around 20 IBUs with about 5% ABV made a very easy drinking brew. I think he's got some Dark Cloud, too, so that may be next...
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » October 20th, 2013, 7:12 pm

A belated listing of beers sampled at the Navy game tailgate.

1. Founders Breakfast Stout. ABV 8.3%, IBU's 60

2. Aviator Brewing - Oktoberbeast. ABV 7.2%, IBU's 22, SRM 16

3. Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA. ABV 9%, IBU's 90

4 Southern Tier - Choklat. ABV 10%, IBU's- not listed.

All were very good. Comments welcome. Next tailgate vs NCSU. Time to bring out the heavy hitters, (not that any of the above were lightweights). AW. :D

PS. For anyone wondering what SRM's are, ask dpslaw. He did the research and now has a vast knowledge of the subject. :-?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2013, 1:54 pm

August West wrote:A belated listing of beers sampled at the Navy game tailgate.

1. Founders Breakfast Stout. ABV 8.3%, IBU's 60

2. Aviator Brewing - Oktoberbeast. ABV 7.2%, IBU's 22, SRM 16

3. Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA. ABV 9%, IBU's 90

4 Southern Tier - Choklat. ABV 10%, IBU's- not listed.

All were very good. Comments welcome. Next tailgate vs NCSU. Time to bring out the heavy hitters, (not that any of the above were lightweights). AW. :D

PS. For anyone wondering what SRM's are, ask dpslaw. He did the research and now has a vast knowledge of the subject. :-?
:(( :((
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2013, 9:09 am

IPA-Goose Island Brewing

Goose me!

Enjoyed on draft at a winery () in Columbus, Indiana after a concert Saturday evening. Appeared a bit too cold in a pint glass with a modest head that topped a golden-yellow elixir. Nice bouquet of citrus and pine with tastes of caramel to balance the modest hop presence of the four varieties. IBUs are 55 and ABV is a modest 5.9% but again, there's a nice balance. I enjoyed it with a warm slab of Brie, pears and fresh figs. My wife had a glass of Black Opal chardonnay.

Wait! Does this belong in the IPA thread? Or the wine thread? Wait again! We don't have one of those...

Yet...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2013, 9:09 am

Blonde-Leffe (InBev) Brewing

Haven't had one of these in years but someone else was buying and this was on the menu so I selected this 11.2 ounce bottle as my night cap. Poured a light yellow with a small, fizzy head into a pint glass (because the winery didn't have a tulip glass but guess I coulda sipped from a wine glass). Basically a Belgian single so hop presence was light and floral and the malts were light in color but modestly sweet with light caramel tastes and I'm thinking there was the addition of Belgian candy sugar to the fermentation. I'd guess IBU in the 20 range and the ABV is 6.6%. Made a nice pairing with some fresh figs, pear slices and pumpkin cheesecake at the conclusion of the reception.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2013, 9:32 pm

50 Worst Beers in the World from ratebeer:

(don't say I didn't warn ya =)) )

http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2013, 9:58 pm

Maple Pecan Porter-Boston Beer Company

Ok, stop laughing. I really did drink this after pilfering from an office meeting a couple weeks ago when I was on call and could not partake that evening. Poured a medium brown with a small head and a lighter texture than anticipated. Aromas and tastes were the expected sweet, nutty ones with a dose of Log Cabin syrup splashed into the mix. This was a bit thin for the style but the IBUs and ABV were in the proper range at 30 and 5.6%, respectively. Lots of options for consumption here with dessert and pouring over pancakes being the two most reasonable options (well, sort of).
August West

Post by August West » October 25th, 2013, 7:35 pm

A slight sidetrack from the regular reviews. Check out a TV show on the Esquire newtwork called "Brew Dogs". It is about two guys, (brewmasters), from Scotland touring around the US brewing beer in unique ways and places. So far they have been in LA / San Diego, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Denver. Next week they are in Portland, OR. Besides brewing beer, they list their top 5 craft beers brewers and top 5 pubs in each town. They also recruit "craft beer virgins" to sample different beers. Sometimes they visit a local chef to pair different beers with different foods. Check your local listings for showtimes. Great show. AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2013, 6:04 am

August West wrote:A slight sidetrack from the regular reviews. Check out a TV show on the Esquire newtwork called "Brew Dogs". It is about two guys, (brewmasters), from Scotland touring around the US brewing beer in unique ways and places. So far they have been in LA / San Diego, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Denver. Next week they are in Portland, OR. Besides brewing beer, they list their top 5 craft beers brewers and top 5 pubs in each town. They also recruit "craft beer virgins" to sample different beers. Sometimes they visit a local chef to pair different beers with different foods. Check your local listings for showtimes. Great show. AW. :D
That is indeed an interesting diversion. I'll try to find that show. Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2013, 6:39 am

Tell Tale Heart IPA-Peabody Heights Brewery/Baltimore Washington Beer Works/Raven Beer

I know how I got this beer (trader from fuse) but can't 'splain the brewery confusion above. I'll guess it's contract brewing like Saranac/Matt Brewing and Utah's Brewing Co-op/Wasatch/Uinta Brewing in Salt Lake City.

Pours a golden-yellow with a mildly foamy head and aromas of tropical fruit and caramel. This is a surprisingly sweet IPA. Think tropical fruits like guava, mango, pineapple and papaya that have been dipped in caramel fondue/ice cream syrup. There are nuances of grapefruit, too. Seriously. Fits the bill for an IPA with stats of 50 and 7.3% for the IBUs and ABV respectively from 3 grains and 4 hops (Malts: 2-row Pale, Dark Munich,
Caramalt; Hops: Bravo, Chinook, Simcoe,Citra-from ravenbeer.com) Would make a nice pairing with grilled fish topped with a fruity and spicy compote/salsa. Cool label.

http://ravenbeer.com/default.asp?iId=GGIFFD
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2013, 6:40 am

Lot No. 6-Evolution Craft Brewing Company

From their brewers' notes-for davekay : "Think of this as our Lot #3 on performance-enhancing malt and hops." Wonder if MLB would ban this brew.

Another fine trader from fuse, this poured a rich gold-bronze hue with a moderate foamy head and had aromas of pine, resin and a bit of citrus. Grains and hops as listed:

Hops: Columbus, Centennial, Citra
Malt: Pale, Pilsner, Caramalt, Dark Crystal

ABV at 8.5% and IBUs of 75 so it's definitely a double IPA and very drinkable. I'd serve modestly chilled (50-60 degrees) in a snifter or chalice and with spicy entrees or as an after dinner drink.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 26th, 2013, 12:16 pm

August West wrote:A slight sidetrack from the regular reviews. Check out a TV show on the Esquire newtwork called "Brew Dogs". It is about two guys, (brewmasters), from Scotland touring around the US brewing beer in unique ways and places. So far they have been in LA / San Diego, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Denver. Next week they are in Portland, OR. Besides brewing beer, they list their top 5 craft beers brewers and top 5 pubs in each town. They also recruit "craft beer virgins" to sample different beers. Sometimes they visit a local chef to pair different beers with different foods. Check your local listings for showtimes. Great show. AW. :D
I enjoy being a "craft beer virgin" at the TBCC beer tasting events.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2013, 8:36 pm

CathyCA wrote:
I enjoy being a "craft beer virgin" at the TBCC beer tasting events.

:9f:
Weren't virgins sacrificed many years ago in different cultures?