Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm

Milk Stout-Duck Rabbit Brewing

Drink local!

This was a 12 ouncer from August West sampled yesterday and divided about 4-5 ways. Poured a jet black with a small head with notes of dark chocolate, licorice and moderate sweetness from the lactose used in the brewing process. The Hershey's dark chocolate syrupiness was more prominent than the usual bitterness associated with the heavily roasted malts generally found in stouts. I'd guess IBUs about 30 and ABV in the 5% range. Nice beverage with the French toast casserole.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 3:40 pm

Irish Red Ale-Saranac (Matt?) Brewing

CB&B's 12 ounce contribution shared 4-5 ways before the stout. Poured a red-copper color with a small head and herbal and floral aromas and medium caramel tastes. Guessing the IBUs around 40 and ABV in the 5% vicinity. I think I had this with some smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel. Nice pairing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 3:58 pm

Originally reviewed July, 2013.

Two Four Ale-Rogue Brewing

This could also be called "Google stumping ale" as I can't find this brew anywhere on the internet, including the Rogue website, ratebeeer or Beer Advocate. Not sure where the name came from but I'll venture a guess it's from the two hop varieties, Perle and Saaz, and the four grains, Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan. The other two ingredients are water and their proprietary Pacman yeast. Pretty simple stuff but not too simple tastes and aromas. I guess I'd classify this as a "dirty" pale ale. Poured a slightly cloudy ("dirty") medium amber with a modest foamy head, the aromas are earthy ("dirty" again) and herbal. Tastes are mild floral bitterness with medium caramel with a bit of pine/resin. Rated at 40 IBU and 16 Plato, which translates to about 6.4% ABV. This would be best enjoyed with pork or beef of the grilled/pulled/chopped varieties. My older son-in-law shared a bomber last PM that he had won in a local crossfit competition recently. He won a whole case (12 bottles) and gave one to his dad and another to his brother so he now has 9 left. He didn't like it too much so guess who gets the remaining 9 bottles? Guess we'll have to work something out, so I'll be buying a buncha beer next month and trading with him and then again with others in the area who might be interested. Wonder who they might be...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 3:59 pm

Next up, August West's Vampire Slayer. I kid you not.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 22nd, 2013, 4:55 pm

devildeac wrote:Paardebloem-New Belgium and Red Rock Brewing

This a collaboration ale. Basically, a Belgian golden style ale brewed with peach juice (on the bottle but not on the web site), dandelion greens, grains of paradise ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aframomum_melegueta) with a splash of a wood aged beer. Poured a slightly hazy yellow-golden with a small amount of fizz, the aromas are hints of peach, lemon and flowers with trace tastes of black pepper, fruits and candy sugar. Very nice beer to pair with a fruit salad which we all did. IBUs at 14 so very little bitterness with a sneaky 9% ABV. August West brought this bomber which we shared about 5 ways.
When I first tasted this one, I told DD that I'd just eaten a peach from one of the fruit salads, and that the beer tasted peachy. Lo and behold, there was peach in the beer. I liked it.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 5:00 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:Paardebloem-New Belgium and Red Rock Brewing

This a collaboration ale. Basically, a Belgian golden style ale brewed with peach juice (on the bottle but not on the web site), dandelion greens, grains of paradise ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aframomum_melegueta) with a splash of a wood aged beer. Poured a slightly hazy yellow-golden with a small amount of fizz, the aromas are hints of peach, lemon and flowers with trace tastes of black pepper, fruits and candy sugar. Very nice beer to pair with a fruit salad which we all did. IBUs at 14 so very little bitterness with a sneaky 9% ABV. August West brought this bomber which we shared about 5 ways.
When I first tasted this one, I told DD that I'd just eaten a peach from one of the fruit salads, and that the beer tasted peachy. Lo and behold, there was peach in the beer. I liked it.

You are developing quite the sophisticated palate for the fermented beverages of grain :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 5:01 pm

Vampire Slayer-Clown Shoes/Ipswich Brewing

Not sure I can top the brewer's description of ingredients:

"In a world full of uncertainty, hardship, and people trying to hold us back, do we need Vampires, too? Clown Shoes says "No! Die, monsters, die!" Our second anniversary ale incorporates signature dark malts, holy water, and malt smoked locally with hickory, ash, and vampire killing stakes."

This was a one year old bomber from August West shared among 4-5 attendees. Poured a viscous 10W-30 consistency with marvelous dark unsweetened chocolate aromas and tastes to accompany hints of smokiness, licorice and coffee both on the olfactory and gustatory senses. Little carbonation with a mildly oily mouth feel. Malts, ABV and a bit of booziness are dominant with an ABV in the 10-11% range. The IBUs are probably fairly high as in most imperial stouts, likely in the 60-70 range. Excellent provision, especially with the chocolate chocolate chip brownies for our morning dessert.

We even got CathyCA to sniff and taste this one. She thought it would make a much better candle than beverage ;;) .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 22nd, 2013, 5:39 pm

devildeac wrote:Vampire Slayer-Clown Shoes/Ipswich Brewing

Not sure I can top the brewer's description of ingredients:

"In a world full of uncertainty, hardship, and people trying to hold us back, do we need Vampires, too? Clown Shoes says "No! Die, monsters, die!" Our second anniversary ale incorporates signature dark malts, holy water, and malt smoked locally with hickory, ash, and vampire killing stakes."

This was a one year old bomber from August West shared among 4-5 attendees. Poured a viscous 10W-30 consistency with marvelous dark unsweetened chocolate aromas and tastes to accompany hints of smokiness, licorice and coffee both on the olfactory and gustatory senses. Little carbonation with a mildly oily mouth feel. Malts, ABV and a bit of booziness are dominant with an ABV in the 10-11% range. The IBUs are probably fairly high as in most imperial stouts, likely in the 60-70 range. Excellent provision, especially with the chocolate chocolate chip brownies for our morning dessert.

We even got CathyCA to sniff and taste this one. She thought it would make a much better candle than beverage ;;) .
This one reminded me of those de-luscious chocolate espresso bites that TNT made for us last week. Except that I like the chocolate espresso things better than I like this beer.

It would make a good candle.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 8:45 pm

Duquesne Pilsener-Duquesne Brewing

Ok, stop laughing and let me provide a bit of history and how I managed to partake of this beer.

Here's a partial history:

The original brewery closed in 1972 after a labor/anti-trust dispute after beginning operations in 1900.

"In 2008, Pittsburgh Area attorney Mark J. Dudash and his wife, Maria, incorporated Duquesne Brewing Company. In 2010, the resurrection of Duquesne Pilsener was announced, and was to be brewed by City Brewing Company at the Latrobe Brewing Plant, the old home of Rolling Rock. Duquesne Pilsener, officially released in August 2010, is brewed in the spirit of the Pittsburgh classic but with improved ingredients. Duquesne Beer was awarded a Silver Medal in the 2011 World Beer Championships, securing its place as the top pilsener in the international competition. By the end of 2011, Duquesne Pilsener was widely available in bottles, cans, and on draft. Duquesne Brewing Company continues to grow throughout the region, and the golden yellow beer has secured its throne as the true Prince of Pilsener!"

Yesterday, at the Pitt game, a friend from medical school and his wife stopped by the tent with a peace offering-about half a case of this in cans. Warm and not suitable for drinking. I thanked him graciously (without biting my tongue) and divided up the supply among various tent members and brought about 4 cans home. One for me and one for each of the children. I chilled one and poured it last evening and found it surprisingly refreshing, especially considering it is brewed in the former Rolling Rock brewery in Latrobe, Pennsylvania and you can probably imagine what I thought of RR, even in the cheap beer of college days. This poured a light straw color with a smallish near-white head. Very light, pleasant scents of flowers with minimal hop bite and light, bready and caramel flavors. Brewed with two row barley and three hops, Hallertau, Mangum and Saaz, ones typically found in German and other Euro pils beers, made this lager a rather pleasant nightcap. IBUs would be low, likely 10-20 with ABV estimated to be 5% would make this a good thirst quencher or summer pre-dinner brew.

And, if I have an extra, fuse will be sure to find one in his next trader.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 9:53 pm

Pumpkin-Foothills Brewing (Formerly C*rolina Beer [and Beverage] Company formerly known as Cottonwood Brewing)

Confused? I was but am not any more after doing a bit of beerresearch. Looks like Cottonwood sold to CB&B Company (no apparent relation to our own CB&B :p ) in November, 2000 who then sold to Foothills Brewing in January, 2011. Sounds like the old lines have been continued. This is my first pumpkin brew of the year, compliments of Tom at Brunchgate yesterday. Briefly, there's too much spice and not enough pumpkin here. This brew includes cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. I'm surprised they didn't include some mace and allspice, too, with a little brown sugar 8-| . Interestingly, no pumpkin is mentioned on the label 8-| . Poured a light orange-amber with a thin, rapidly disappearing head. Cloves are the primary scent with cinnamon also present. Tastes are about the same. IBUs listed at 5.2, which may be less than some fake beers :D , and ABV is at 5.2%. Not a bad beer and at least worth a taste for comparison/s, but there are better pumpkin brews available as we have discussed here before.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2013, 10:43 pm

1554 Enlightened Black Ale-New Belgium Brewing

From the brewer:

"Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Enlightened Black Ale uses a lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel."

I've got a bit of a quibble here. If it's an ale, how do you arrive at that designation using a lager yeast and fermenting at high temperatures?
Otherwise, I've no complaints about the product. This was a 12 ounce bottle generously gifted by Bob Green on Saturday that he had left over from the GT game that I missed due to my work schedule. Thanks! Poured a clean mahogany with a light tan head. Modest aromas of dark flowers and dark chocolates accompanied tastes of the same with the tiniest hint of espresso. IBUs register at 21, typical for a lager, and enough malt/grains to have an ABV of 5.6%. Enjoyed by itself tonight but would make a nice cookout brew with some ribs or BBQ chicken. I thought about giving this away to my son or a son-in-law but, not having had one for several years and the fact that Bob kindly saved it for me for a week, I just had to sip it myself and am very happy to have enjoyed it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2013, 10:51 pm

Guinness Extra Stout-Guinness Brewing Company (New Brunswick, Canada)

WTH? I thought I was drinking a dry Irish stout and here I am drinking some Canadian beer. Next think you know, I'll read that Bass Ale is brewed in New York. Oh, wait a minute. Never mind.

I think the only other time I've ever had this beer was in college and absolutely despised it and couldn't finish the bottle because it looked and tasted like motor oil. Well, it still looks a bit like 10W-30 but tastes now like a cocoa/espresso blend and the scents match the palate. A bit of bitterness from heavily roasted malts and virtually no hop presence. I think I picked up this bottle as a leftover from an office meeting last month and I'm pleased it was available for the taking/tasting. I'd guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV around 5-6%. Nice pairing with several mini Oreo cookies.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 28th, 2013, 6:52 am

It's the time of the year when all true St. Louisans partake in Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale. It should be available at Schnuck's. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2013, 9:34 am

Murphy's Stout-Heineken UK Brewing under the supervision of Murphy's Brewery

WTH?

OK, dry Irish (or English?) stout from a 14.9 ounce widgeted can. Poured with a ginormous creamy tan head that occupied about 2/3 of the pint glass and allowed to calm down to a nice two fingered head prior to sipping at about 60 degrees. Pleasant aromas of cocoa and espresso and tastes to match. Bitterness is modest, mostly I think from the heavily roasted malts. I'd guess IBUs about 30 and ABV around 5%. Like drinking a stout in a pub from a nitrogen beer engine. This was a leftover from an office meeting several weeks back. Very enjoyable.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2013, 9:50 am

Hoplar-Hardywood Brewing

I purchased this corked and caged 750 ml bottle on Father's Day at the brewery during their oyster roast to celebrate the occasion. Poured an almost oily orange-amber with a large, foamy head into two tulip glasses last PM with a shrimp and grits dinner and shared with our son. Luscious nose of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice with pulp and bits of zest included. Notes of pine and resin, too. Tastes of the same with earthy, woody and vanilla tones also from the poplar aging. Nice malty balance with loads of caramel sweetness as evidenced by the ABV of 8.5% to counteract the hefty IBU of 100 (!!). Would have no hesitation buying this again, either bottled or if I could find it on draft. I think I have one in fuse's trader box in my garage, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2013, 9:40 am

Industrial IPA-Diamond Knot Brewing

Yep, it's an imperial India pale ale but they don't want it called that. This is from a brewery in Mukilteo, Washington that I've seen distributed here for several years but just never bought/sampled any of their products until August West contributed this ~$6 bomber to our tasting yesterday. A nice starter for the afternoon.

Pungent aromas of citrus and pine on the olfactory with the same on the gustatory along with a nicely balanced caramel and malty finish. Poured a slightly cloudy orange-amber with a generous frothy head. We thought it was kind of in-between an IPA and DIPA, but, upon further review, it really is an IIPA with 7.9% ABV and 85 IBU stats and it paired nicely with a broccoli salad and a mixed green salad with balsamic dressing and lots of Gorgonzola cheese, strawberries, walnuts and craisins.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2013, 9:41 am

The afternoon tasting actually started off with the Pumpking from Southern Tier but, as I arrived too late for the sampling, I shall not review it but simply shed a few tears lamenting our tardy appearance :(( . Maybe we can get August West or dpslaw to provide a summary ;;) .
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » September 29th, 2013, 9:56 am

devildeac wrote:The afternoon tasting actually started off with the Pumpking from Southern Tier but, as I arrived too late for the sampling, I shall not review it but simply shed a few tears lamenting our tardy appearance :(( . Maybe we can get August West or dpslaw to provide a summary ;;) .
It will have to be dpslaw as he and Tom had polished it off before I arrived. :( AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2013, 9:59 am

Oatmeal Yeti-Great Divide Brewing

The 6th offspring of the Yeti family, this one has the typical onyx-colored, viscous, oily pour and mouthfeel of any imperial stout. Where this one differs is with the addition of oatmeal to the grain base which imparts a very smooth (CathyCA nailed this one) texture to the palate. Luscious aromas of espresso, dark chocolate and booze with tastes of the same plus a very pleasant molasses-like sweetness, too. The addition of raisins contributes to the perception of dark fruits. I'd guess the IBU about 60, standard for the style. The ABV is 9.5%, also in-line with an imperial stout. We sipped and shared this bomber (probably about $10) from dpslaw along with nibbling on slices of chocolate-iced cinnamon streusel pound cake. This was an outstanding selection!
Last edited by devildeac on September 29th, 2013, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2013, 10:01 am

August West wrote:
devildeac wrote:The afternoon tasting actually started off with the Pumpking from Southern Tier but, as I arrived too late for the sampling, I shall not review it but simply shed a few tears lamenting our tardy appearance :(( . Maybe we can get August West or dpslaw to provide a summary ;;) .
It will have to be dpslaw as he and Tom had polished it off before I arrived. :( AW. :D
Damn. That's about 9% ABV and those two rascals finished it before you arrived :-o !? No wonder their requests for sample sizes got smaller as the afternoon progressed! :))