Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 18th, 2013, 5:04 pm

CathyCA wrote:Image

Here are some examples of the Duck Rabbit hats. :animals-duckie: :animals-bunnywhite:

:9f:
I especially like the Bolshevik headgear for the Russian imperial stout.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 18th, 2013, 7:06 pm

CathyCA wrote:Image

Here are some examples of the Duck Rabbit hats. :animals-duckie: :animals-bunnywhite:

Thanks for the pix. Love the hats! :happy-bouncyblue: (and the smilies) :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 18th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Come to visit me and we'll go to the :animals-duckie: :animals-bunnywhite: tasting room.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 18th, 2013, 10:45 pm

CathyCA wrote:Come to visit me and we'll go to the :animals-duckie: :animals-bunnywhite: tasting room.

And, AFAIK, they don't brew anything funky or musty ;;) .
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 18th, 2013, 11:02 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
August West wrote:Beer tastings from the 9/14 tailgate. The beers were tasted in the following order.

1. Three Heads Brewing, Skunk. A Black IPA. 6.5% ABV and 75 IBU's. This was provided by Killer Left.
2. Southern Tier, Compass. Bottle conditioned sparking ale with rose hips. 9% ABV. No IBU's listed. Provided by AW.
3. Founders, Doom. Imperial IPA, from their Backstage series, bourbon barrel aged. 10% ABV. No IBU's listed. Provided by dpslaw/Tom.

All three were good and enjoyed by all. The Founders was rated #1 closely followed by the Southern Tier Compass. Three Heads Brewing's Skunk was # 3.

Thanks to all for their selections. AW. :D
I am curious as to why a brewery would name something, even a black IPA, SKUNK. :ymsick:
When I let the dogs out in the yard a little bit ago, it was clear a skunk had been in the hood. I would have preferred a black IPA. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 18th, 2013, 11:05 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Come to visit me and we'll go to the :animals-duckie: :animals-bunnywhite: tasting room.

I don't really care for the Duck Rabbit brews. I just like their logo.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2013, 8:19 am

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I don't really care for the Duck Rabbit brews. I just like their logo.

You might like their amber ale which is similar to Fat Tire. You might also like the Dopplebock which is basically a very strong lager that tastes a bit like chocolate caramels.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 19th, 2013, 9:23 am

August West wrote:Beer tastings from the 9/14 tailgate. The beers were tasted in the following order.

1. Three Heads Brewing, Skunk. A Black IPA. 6.5% ABV and 75 IBU's. This was provided by Killer Left.
2. Southern Tier, Compass. Bottle conditioned sparking ale with rose hips. 9% ABV. No IBU's listed. Provided by AW.
3. Founders, Doom. Imperial IPA, from their Backstage series, bourbon barrel aged. 10% ABV. No IBU's listed. Provided by dpslaw/Tom.

All three were good and enjoyed by all. The Founders was rated #1 closely followed by the Southern Tier Compass. Three Heads Brewing's Skunk was # 3.

Thanks to all for their selections. AW. :D
I think the Southern Tier is the beer that you all let me taste. It had some citrus in it. I liked it.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 19th, 2013, 9:24 am

devildeac wrote: You might like their amber ale which is similar to Fat Tire. You might also like the Dopplebock which is basically a very strong lager that tastes a bit like chocolate caramels.
I will try the amber ale. I'm not sure about the Dopplebock. I might like it in a candle! ;)

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2013, 12:51 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote: You might like their amber ale which is similar to Fat Tire. You might also like the Dopplebock which is basically a very strong lager that tastes a bit like chocolate caramels.
I will try the amber ale. I'm not sure about the Dopplebock. I might like it in a candle! ;)

The Rabid Duck would make a better candle smell as it's an imperial stout and should smell like dark chocolate and/or coffee. The Dopplebock smells pretty good, too.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » September 19th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Stopped by TW today and picked up a few things. I will have a menagerie of beers for tasting. DD, see if you can guess what I'll bring. :-\ AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2013, 7:06 pm

August West wrote:Stopped by TW today and picked up a few things. I will have a menagerie of beers for tasting. DD, see if you can guess what I'll bring. :-\ AW. :D
Something large and tasty. Not as large as a HUMONGOUS SAUSAGE LOG but certainly something a lot tastier :D . I'm guess the Curieux will make an appearance. We'll be a bit "Rogue."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2013, 5:02 pm

It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Old Chub-Oskar Blues Brewing

Drink local! From their new brewery in Brevard, NC, this Scotch ale is an excellent example of the style. Not many folks brew this style and the ones that do usually call it a Scotch style ale. My favorite for years has been SA Scotch Ale which is not brewed very often. The other has been Traquair House Ale which is a hefty $8-9 for a 330 ml bottle. This one poured a slightly viscous dark brown and had aromas of dark caramel and cocoa and tastes to match along with a wee bit of smokiness. Generous foamy head topped off the pour from the 12 ounce can. Wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy another 6er of this one.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Toasted Coconut Porter-Orange Blossom Pilsner Brewing (via the Thomas Creek Brewery in SC)

I bought a 6er of this on fuse's musings that he never really had any coconut beers and because I liked some of OBP's other products. It's a good porter but there ain't much coconut here. Poured the obligatory dark brown with a thinnish head and tasted and smelled like a porter should with roasted coffee and cocoa presence. Would make a nice pairing with a German chocolate cake or pie and was enjoyable by itself but just not much coconut flavor at all. I guess it could have been worse like the coconut curry hefeweizen he reviewed up thread. I'd guess IBU about 30 and ABV in the 5-6% range. Worth a single purchase or trade but not a beer I'd re-visit.
August West

Post by August West » September 20th, 2013, 8:11 pm

I'm going to have to avoid the bottle shop for a while. Too many beers and too little money. :( I picked up 2 more for tomorrow. Both are new and at least one I think we might get Ozzie to try, ;) or not. They are chilling as I post. See everyone tomorrow. AW. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 21st, 2013, 8:01 am

August West wrote:I'm going to have to avoid the bottle shop for a while. Too many beers and too little money. :( I picked up 2 more for tomorrow. Both are new and at least one I think we might get Ozzie to try, ;) or not. They are chilling as I post. See everyone tomorrow. AW. :D
Sure! I'm (almost) always game; I just wasn't asked/offered last week... :-w :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2013, 6:20 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
August West wrote:I'm going to have to avoid the bottle shop for a while. Too many beers and too little money. :( I picked up 2 more for tomorrow. Both are new and at least one I think we might get Ozzie to try, ;) or not. They are chilling as I post. See everyone tomorrow. AW. :D
Sure! I'm (almost) always game; I just wasn't asked/offered last week... :-w :9f:
Pick up a bomber and bring it to the table next week. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 3:38 pm

Forgotten Hollow-From the brewery formerly known as Roth

Starter beer of the day from fuse who sadly could not join us today but happily had his son on campus for an unofficial recruiting visit. This is a cinnamon porter and poured a dark brown with a small head. Aromas of cocoa with a hint of cinnamon and tastes to match. Paired with cinnamon raisin bread and shared with about 5 others at Brunchgate this AM. I'd guess IBUs about 30 and ABV on the bottle was 6%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2013, 3:38 pm

Paardebloem-New Belgium and Red Rock Brewing

This a collaboration ale. Basically, a Belgian golden style ale brewed with peach juice (on the bottle but not on the web site), dandelion greens, grains of paradise ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aframomum_melegueta) with a splash of a wood aged beer. Poured a slightly hazy yellow-golden with a small amount of fizz, the aromas are hints of peach, lemon and flowers with trace tastes of black pepper, fruits and candy sugar. Very nice beer to pair with a fruit salad which we all did. IBUs at 14 so very little bitterness with a sneaky 9% ABV. August West brought this bomber which we shared about 5 ways.