Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2013, 3:08 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote: Personally, I enjoy trying many different styles of beers, from a light and fruity kolsch to a bourbon barrel aged black-as-10W30 Quaker State motor oil imperial stout. I don't expect every beer knurd/nerd to like every style. I certainly have my favorites. I look upon it as a "journey" with some destinations ultimately not worth visiting again. I had a Rayon Vert last month from Green Flash Brewing and didn't like it a bit. I subsequently had several "sours" from Russian River Brewing and really enjoyed them. I also found out I don't like cucumber tastes in beer but found a watermelon beer to be rather refreshing last summer. I'm guessing we'll have at least 6 beers for sampling on Saturday. Tap one of us on the glass and ask for a sip or three.
Maybe just a sniff and then if I like that, a sip?

:9f:
Just as long as your only comment is not "that would make a nice candle smell :ymblushing: ;) ."
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 29th, 2013, 3:42 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote: Personally, I enjoy trying many different styles of beers, from a light and fruity kolsch to a bourbon barrel aged black-as-10W30 Quaker State motor oil imperial stout. I don't expect every beer knurd/nerd to like every style. I certainly have my favorites. I look upon it as a "journey" with some destinations ultimately not worth visiting again. I had a Rayon Vert last month from Green Flash Brewing and didn't like it a bit. I subsequently had several "sours" from Russian River Brewing and really enjoyed them. I also found out I don't like cucumber tastes in beer but found a watermelon beer to be rather refreshing last summer. I'm guessing we'll have at least 6 beers for sampling on Saturday. Tap one of us on the glass and ask for a sip or three.

Just as long as your only comment is not "that would make a nice candle smell :ymblushing: ;) ."
If it smells like a barnyard, I don't think that will be a problem.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 29th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Oh, I forgot. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 29th, 2013, 5:13 pm

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Look, I don't want any kind of musty smelling, kind of funky barnyard scented candles in my home. I try to rid my home of musty smells, not add to them!

I do think that the chocolate stouts would make good candles.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2013, 10:52 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Look, I don't want any kind of musty smelling, kind of funky barnyard scented candles in my home. I try to rid my home of musty smells, not add to them!

I do think that the chocolate stouts would make good candles.

;;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2013, 5:33 pm

Mango Magnifico (con calor)-Founders Brewing

From their Backstage Series, which I did not know existed until a bit of research yesterday, comes some summer heat. Here's the brewers' take:

"Mango Magnifico con Calor [Magnificent Mango with Heat] is a never-before-released, high-gravity fruit beer brewed with mango and a touch of Michigan-grown habaneros. Each 750mL bottle of this 10% ABV ale is intended to be shared. Not a traditional fruit beer, the delicate tropical fruit in Mango Magnifico is punctuated by a hint of heat, increasing the overall depth of flavor and adding another level of complexity. A refreshing drink for the warm summer months."

My take from a 4-5 ounce tasting from tailgate yesterday-Where's the fire extinguisher? Well, not really, but it packed a few extra thermal units. Poured a clear mango color (d'oh!) with a small head, the aroma is overripe fruit and the taste is pure mango, sweet and light. Then the fire sets in about mid-taste and continue through each sip. I don't know what the IBUs are but it tastes/looks like a Belgian golden ale base so I'd guess about 20. This really oughtta be rated by the BTU. I think it's a Belgian type golden as the ABV is 10% so all the grain/alcohol provides some "protection" from the heat. Not an ale I'd visit again but certainly worth a try and, as the notes above suggest, something to share, so a thank you to dpslaw who provided this 750 ml capped bottle that was our third beer to share for the afternoon.

This was NOT a sour/funky ale :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2013, 5:48 pm

Singel-Hardywood Brewing

A shout out to duketaylor for this capped 750 ml bottle from several months ago. This is a Belgian style blonde ale that poured a light yellow with a bit of haze from its unfiltered, unpasteurized heritage. Fizzy head with scents and tastes of ripe pears and apples and a bit of citrus and white pepper from the wheat malt (I think) and Belgian yeast. This was also a 4-5 ounce sample and the IBUs are 30 and the ABV is 6.2% so it was a lighter brew that we enjoyed on a warm football afternoon with all beef hot dogs, burgers and brats. This more or less was a "tie" with the next brew on our rating scale for the afternoon. I thinks I had a draft of this in June at the brewery and reviewed it then. Certainly worth a pint if you are in the Richmond area.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2013, 6:03 pm

Local Species-Blue Mountain Brewing

An "experimental" American ale brewed in the Shenandoah Mountains of Virginia was actually our first brew of the day yesterday and my 3rd favorite. No specific hops or grains are listed but it was a mild, pleasant ale. Poured a slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a fairly generous foamy head and whiffs of pine and citrus up front and bready, faintly sweet malty tastes with subtle presence of vanilla, oak and bourbon from the barrel aging. Solid starter beer with IBUs of 24 and ABV of 6.6%. Certainly worth another purchase. Thanks to August West for his opening act yesterday.

Nope, no funk here either :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2013, 6:46 pm

And, the winner for the afternoon:

KBS-Founder's Brewing

Kentucky Breakfast Stout. A rare find by dpslaw who brought a single 12 ounce bottle of this imperial stout to the festivities yesterday. Poured black as onyx with a creamy tan head, this brew gives off strong aromas of coffee, chocolate and booze with hints of oak/wood and vanilla on the palate. The coffee, chocolate and vanilla are added and the oak/wood and bourbon originate from the barrel aging. This was a bit thick, rich and strong for the afternoon (IBU of 70 and ABV at 11.2%) and overpowered the strawberry pound cake and Key Lime bars but is just a phenomenal brew that would pair well with any chocolate dessert or, stand alone served in a snifter/goblet for a liquid dessert. Worth seeking out or ordering from afar if you have family and/or friends in the upper Midwest. I may have one bottle left in storage from 2-3 years ago and I think this is about $20 (or more) for a 4 pack.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2013, 8:40 pm

California Lager-Anchor Steam Brewing

This was another trader from dpslaw yesterday. I've got blisters on my fingers from so much typing so I'm gonna copy and paste a bit and then review. Brewers' notes:

"Anchor Steam's® roots go back to the Gold Rush, long before icehouses and modern refrigeration made traditional lagers a viable California option. In 1876, thanks to an ice pond in the mountains and a belief that anything is possible in the Golden State, a little brewery named Boca created California's first genuine lager. Anchor California Lager® is our re-creation of this historic beer.

Made in San Francisco with two-row California barley, Cluster hops (the premier hop in 19th-century California), and our own lager yeast, this all-malt brew is kräusened and lagered in our cellars. Its golden color, distinctive aroma, creamy head, balanced depth of flavor, and smooth finish make Anchor California Lager® a delicious celebration of California’s unique brewing heritage."

My thoughts:

I shared this 12 ounce bottle today during happy hour with my daughter and the two son-in-laws with us for the weekend. Poured a light straw color with a small head. Light floral on the nose and light caramel and mildly bready on the palate. No IBU noted but it's a lager so I'd guess about 20 and the ABV is 4.9% so it was a good match with grilled salmon with dill sauce, boiled shrimp with a dab of cocktail sauce, lump crabcakes, corn, green beans and a salad for dinner. We had a discussion somewhere up thread about low ABV brews we enjoy. I've never had this before so I'd nominate this one for a place on that list. Waiting for Chimay Grande Reserve to warm just a bit to share for dessert.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2013, 9:39 pm

devildeac wrote:Local Species-Blue Mountain Brewing

An "experimental" American ale brewed in the Shenandoah Mountains of Virginia was actually our first brew of the day yesterday and my 3rd favorite. No specific hops or grains are listed but it was a mild, pleasant ale. Poured a slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a fairly generous foamy head and whiffs of pine and citrus up front and bready, faintly sweet malty tastes with subtle presence of vanilla, oak and bourbon from the barrel aging. Solid starter beer with IBUs of 24 and ABV of 6.6%. Certainly worth another purchase. Thanks to August West for his opening act yesterday.

Nope, no funk here either :D .
Correction: I think this was the only one yesterday that had any sourness or funkiness to it. There are better examples and will try to bring one to the September 21 or September 28 game. I am on call for the GT game.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2013, 12:33 pm

Hopsun-Southern Tier

Dinner beer last PM. Twelve ounce bottle received from dpslaw at tailgate yesterday and shared with 3 other family members with a seafood meal. Very nice pairing. Single yeast and hop varieties with 3 malts, including wheat, provide an interesting blend of breadiness, light caramel and a hint of citrus (lemon-orange) from the wheat. The pour was light yellow and clear with a modest head. No IBUs given but estimated at about 30 with an ABV of 5.1% makes a good balance.
dpslaw
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by dpslaw » September 2nd, 2013, 7:15 pm

While I wish I could take credit for it, Tom actually brought the KBS, as well as the Mango Magnifico.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 3rd, 2013, 11:33 am

devildeac wrote:Singel-Hardywood Brewing

A shout out to duketaylor for this capped 750 ml bottle from several months ago. This is a Belgian style blonde ale that poured a light yellow with a bit of haze from its unfiltered, unpasteurized heritage. Fizzy head with scents and tastes of ripe pears and apples and a bit of citrus and white pepper from the wheat malt (I think) and Belgian yeast. This was also a 4-5 ounce sample and the IBUs are 30 and the ABV is 6.2% so it was a lighter brew that we enjoyed on a warm football afternoon with all beef hot dogs, burgers and brats. This more or less was a "tie" with the next brew on our rating scale for the afternoon. I thinks I had a draft of this in June at the brewery and reviewed it then. Certainly worth a pint if you are in the Richmond area.
I think this is the one I tasted. If so, it was good.

Thanks for letting me have a taste, DD.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 3rd, 2013, 2:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:Singel-Hardywood Brewing

I think this is the one I tasted. If so, it was good.

Thanks for letting me have a taste, DD.

:think: :think:

Gotta start thinking about the Pitt game. I am on call for GT so you are on your own with tasting that afternoon :( . Just let AW, CB&B and/or dpslaw know, (hand over your bottle) and let the tasting begin :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 4th, 2013, 4:08 pm

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 4th, 2013, 4:26 pm

This has to be one of the most bizarre combination of ingredients that I've ever read:

Repoterroir
"This beer is a five-way collaboration brew between craft brewers: Allagash Brewing Co. (ME), Avery Brewing Co. (CO), Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (DE), The Lost Abbey (CA) and Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. It features ingredients that reflect the native terroir of each brewer, including wild rice, beets, cucumber, mint, carrots, honey, potatoes and free-ranch “beach” wood from both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The beer is complex and nuanced with earthy flavors and light touches of cucumber and floral character. It is medium bodied and drinkable despite the varied repertoire of ingredients in this extremely limited release."

Kinda figures with Dogfish Head Brewery involved. I think they'll put almost anything in a beer.
August West

Post by August West » September 4th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Dogfish Head, 75 minute IPA. Picked it up this PM for DD. Hopefully it will make it to the Pitt game tailgate. If not, I'll get him another one. ;) AW. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 4th, 2013, 9:40 pm

August West wrote:Dogfish Head, 75 minute IPA. Picked it up this PM for DD. Hopefully it will make it to the Pitt game tailgate. If not, I'll get him another one. ;) AW. :D
If you have any inclination to sample/finish it before the Pitt game, you had best head out tomorrow to buy another 4 pack or bomber as I'd bet whatever supply there is won't last long ;;) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 4th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Ovila (2011?)-Sierra Nevada Brewing

A bit of background from the brewer:

"Ovila® Abbey Ales are a series of Belgian-inspired beers brewed in collaboration with the monks at the Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina, CA. An homage to the time-honored monastic brewing tradition, Ovila Abbey Ales combine the quality and craft of those dedicated artisans with a dose of American brewing innovation. Featuring ingredients grown by the monks on the grounds of the abbey, Ovila Abbey Ales are a fresh twist on the ancient brewing tradition."

Tastings from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle over the last couple nights revealed a slightly viscous, dark brown elixir with aromas of dark rum, brown sugar and dried dark fruits like figs, dates and raisins. Tastes pretty much the same with a bit of booze and dark syrup. It is labeled as a "quad" so I think it was pretty representative of the style. I'd guess the IBUs to be about 30 and the ABV listed on the bottle was 10.4% and it was frighteningly smooth to sip. Serving after about 15 minutes in the freezer in an Ommegang chalice allowed all the aforementioned scents and tastes to permeate the senses even more fully. They have released two more varieties since this bottling and I wouldn't hesitate a moment to try either/both of them. One is another quad brewed with plums and the other is a saison with mandarin oranges and peppercorns.