cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: The Restaurant Thread

Post by cl15876 » July 22nd, 2009, 9:52 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Allen & Son
Elmo's for breakfast
Watts Grocery for a little more upscale
Prime Only (Leesville Rd in Raleigh) for wine and beef
Dave - great tip!!!! then I got to the Grocery, bumped into celebrity (ELMO actually and he said wooo hoooo... that TICKLES!!!!!!!!!!!).... then went to Prime ONLY and AFTER the WINE... (I'm wondering???? if YOU REALLY MEANT ...the question will become.... Where's the BEEF? :D
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 22nd, 2009, 10:04 pm

craziecat wrote: In Hawaii it is Duke's Canoe Club hands down. Great food and the drinks are not ones that we can order here.
My aunt lives right down the street from Duke's of Malibu. I love eating there. And she sends me a Duke's of Malibu t-shirt for my birthday almost every year.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 22nd, 2009, 10:12 pm

craziecat wrote:OMG, I miss the hell out of the Angus Barn. Great place to eat

Here in Chicago, I love to eat at Millrose, Maggiano's and Houllihans. Cheeseburger is Paradise is always a fun place to eat, drink and listen to live music.
No disrepect intended craziecat, but if one more person mentions AB, I'm going to scream.
craziecat wrote:In Hawaii it is Duke's Canoe Club hands down. Great food and the drinks are not ones that we can order here.
I had drinks and apps at Duke's Canoe Club in Waikiki in May, I had to go there. But, the Kobe steakhouse a few miles from Duke's is THE place to eat in Honolulu.
craziecat wrote:Columbia, South Carolina Zorba's has killer Greek Food.
I love Greek food. In Durham Greeks recommend Spartacus, and I have to agree with them. My family lived in Greece almost 40 years ago, so my parents were speaking Greek to the hostess. Then she says "where did ya'll learn ya'll's Greek?" Only in North Carolina.
craziecat wrote:I have lived in so many places, it is really hard to pick one.
I hear ya.

For desserts, nothing beats Mike's Pastry in the north end in Boston. Oh, to taste the delicious Italian cakes. My mouth is watering as I type. Mike's Pastry is the only thing I miss from the Boston area.
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 22nd, 2009, 10:18 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
No disrepect intended craziecat, but if one more person mentions AB, I'm going to scream.
Now, Tilly, that was a different thread. CC might not have even read that yet. You can't get mad for someone mentioning one of their favorites in a favorite's list thread when your problem is with me in an entirely different thread. I think you need a :ymhug: . Go tell k68 to give you one for me, or I'll kick HIM in the shins. ;) Kidding, of course. Or, you could just release some of that energy by kicking ME in the shins. Go ahead, I can take it. I'm a big boy. Just keep it to the shins, please. b-(

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 22nd, 2009, 10:21 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:I'm really disappointed that Ozzie didn't comment on the rolls from the Great American Restaurants. I figured he'd be all over that.

%%-
I've never eaten there.
There's something wrong in the world when the great Ozzie has never eaten the roll that bears his name. If you're ever passing through NoVA, get in touch with me and I'll make sure we get you one. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 22nd, 2009, 10:37 pm

bjornolf wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:I'm really disappointed that Ozzie didn't comment on the rolls from the Great American Restaurants. I figured he'd be all over that.

%%-
I've never eaten there.
There's something wrong in the world when the great Ozzie has never eaten the roll that bears his name. If you're ever passing through NoVA, get in touch with me and I'll make sure we get you one. ;)

%%-
OK, now I'm intrigued. They have rolls named Ozzie?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 22nd, 2009, 10:39 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: OK, now I'm intrigued. They have rolls named Ozzie?
No. The rolls are called "hunk'a hunk'a burning love." ;) ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 22nd, 2009, 10:49 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
No. The rolls are called "hunk'a hunk'a burning love." ;) ;)
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 22nd, 2009, 11:06 pm

Holy sheet! This started today and I am 49 posts behind. I'll have to read this thread tomorrow as I recuperate... :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2009, 11:16 pm

DukePA wrote:I currently have 2 favorite restaurants down here: The Bistro by the Sea in Morehead City and Carltons in Salter Path. Both are upscale restaurants with amazing menus. Carltons recently moved from a very small space to the Ocean Club. Can't wait to try it because they said they would be expanding their menu when they moved. I also like Rucker John's in Emerald Isle. It's good for burgers, steaks, pasta and beer!
Besides a sad day in women's basketball history, my favorite place on the beach is the Beach Tavern. Good food, great prices, nice beer selection, and pool. (Not A pool, billiards.)
I've driven past Bistro lots without ever stopping in, but I'll take your word for it and try sweetie pie out on it one day. But for a family of 4 ...hats off to

Golden Corral...any damn town anywhere.....I'm an addict

Tsunami (new chinese buffet here with an excellent pick-yer-grill selection and real sushi. (Yes, actual raw fish)

El Zarape The staple Mexican restaurant here at the beach. They now have one everywhere, but the one I loved most (and the first) burnt down. I proposed to sweetie pie there on upper deck overlooking sail boats and 2 big margaritas.

The aforementioned Beach Tavern. Just good food in a kind environment. Leave any airs at the door, this is where the locals eat and drink when you are at home.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » July 22nd, 2009, 11:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DukePA wrote:I currently have 2 favorite restaurants down here: The Bistro by the Sea in Morehead City and Carltons in Salter Path. Both are upscale restaurants with amazing menus. Carltons recently moved from a very small space to the Ocean Club. Can't wait to try it because they said they would be expanding their menu when they moved. I also like Rucker John's in Emerald Isle. It's good for burgers, steaks, pasta and beer!
Besides a sad day in women's basketball history, my favorite place on the beach is the Beach Tavern. Good food, great prices, nice beer selection, and pool. (Not A pool, billiards.)
I've driven past Bistro lots without ever stopping in, but I'll take your word for it and try sweetie pie out on it one day. But for a family of 4 ...hats off to

Golden Corral...any damn town anywhere.....I'm an addict

Tsunami (new chinese buffet here with an excellent pick-yer-grill selection and real sushi. (Yes, actual raw fish)

El Zarape The staple Mexican restaurant here at the beach. They now have one everywhere, but the one I loved most (and the first) burnt down. I proposed to sweetie pie there on upper deck overlooking sail boats and 2 big margaritas.

Ah, yes. Gotta love those BT burgers! Awesome! I like our El Zarape over here in EI. Good and dependable. Glad you'll be taking Jen to the Bistro.

The aforementioned Beach Tavern. Just good food in a kind environment. Leave any airs at the door, this is where the locals eat and drink when you are at home.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 22nd, 2009, 11:45 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: As a general rule I agree with you and make my choices of restaurants accordingly.

Over the years I've used the Sterns' recommendations to find great hole in the wall eateries (such as Pearl of the Atlantic), asked locals (especially the doormen, bell hops in hotels, cab drivers)for their suggestions or done some exploring on my own. But when it comes to Chicken Marsala, you can't beat the way Bucca di Beppo does it. Bella! Bella! Bella! The chains I would list as favorites are those which tend to have one particular dish that is better than can be found anywhere else.

I'd also note that I look for places which are using local produce as much as possible. Fresh is best and supports local farmers!
My next door neighbor in San Jose owned a Bucca di Beppo franchise. We would invite them over to our house for dinner, and when they reciprocated, we got to go to Bucca di Beppo! I always enjoyed carting away a grocery bag full of leftovers. Their salads are YUMMY! I like their spaghetti and meatballs, too.

We don't have a Bucca di Beppo around here in the sticks. I miss it.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 22nd, 2009, 11:49 pm

Hey! Rucker John's is my mom's favorite restaurant, and we have one here in Greenville! I love their salads, especially the Key West salad which contains chicken salad and fruit.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 23rd, 2009, 7:36 am

That was why I was disappointed you didn't jump on it. In my original post, I mentioned that they have ozzie rolls TWICE. Obviously, I'm on Ozzie's ignore list. ;)

Seriously, though, if you're ever coming up this way (NoVA), you should let me know and we'll all grab a meal at one of GAR's (Great American Restaurants) locations. Somebody mentioned the franchise rule. I especially like them because, other than their seafood joints (Coastal Flatts) of which there are a few, each location has totally different decor, wait staff uniforms, ambiance, and while the menus are similar, each place has several items that are different, and even the things that ARE the same have a little something different due to the different chefs' takes on them. So, while it is technically a franchise, they are all owned by the same few guys that started it and each restaurant is really its own restaurant. So, it hasn't been "franchised out" to others and they really are like a bunch of different restaurants that just happen to be owned and operated by the same guys.

One thing they DO all have is a dessert that chocolate lovers all over NoVA have become addicted to, the "chocolate flourless waffle". It's decadent, and yummy, baby.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 23rd, 2009, 3:42 pm

bjornolf wrote:Well, I'm gonna be around South of the Border in a couple weeks. Any good places to eat near Dillon, SC?

%%-
There are no good places, period (to eat or do anything else) on the NC/SC I-95 corridor.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 23rd, 2009, 3:43 pm

wilson wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Well, I'm gonna be around South of the Border in a couple weeks. Any good places to eat near Dillon, SC?

%%-
There are no good places, period (to eat or do anything else) on the NC/SC I-95 corridor.
I take that back. Bill Ellis Barbecue, in Wilson, NC (no, seriously ^#(^ ) is fucking phenomenal.
But that's it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 23rd, 2009, 5:19 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Allen & Son
Elmo's for breakfast
Watts Grocery for a little more upscale
Prime Only (Leesville Rd in Raleigh) for wine and beef
3 outta 4 ain't bad...

I think Prime Only closed last year. Sorry. :cry:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 23rd, 2009, 5:21 pm

TillyGalore wrote:

Here in Chicago, I love to eat at Millrose, Maggiano's and Houllihans. Cheeseburger is Paradise is always a fun place to eat, drink and listen to live music.
craziecat wrote:In Hawaii it is Duke's Canoe Club hands down. Great food and the drinks are not ones that we can order here.
I had drinks and apps at Duke's Canoe Club in Waikiki in May, I had to go there. But, the Kobe steakhouse a few miles from Duke's is THE place to eat in Honolulu.
craziecat wrote:Columbia, South Carolina Zorba's has killer Greek Food.
I love Greek food. In Durham Greeks recommend Spartacus, and I have to agree with them. My family lived in Greece almost 40 years ago, so my parents were speaking Greek to the hostess. Then she says "where did ya'll learn ya'll's Greek?" Only in North Carolina.
craziecat wrote:I have lived in so many places, it is really hard to pick one.
I hear ya.

For desserts, nothing beats Mike's Pastry in the north end in Boston. Oh, to taste the delicious Italian cakes. My mouth is watering as I type. Mike's Pastry is the only thing I miss from the Boston area.
Oh, my. Mike's Pastry. The desserts there are sinful... :D I also had the best eggplant parm I ever had in the North End about 5 years ago but can't remember the name of the joint.
craziecat
PW in training
PW in training

Post by craziecat » July 24th, 2009, 11:01 pm

I would love to visit Boston again. Sorry about the Angus Barn comment :D , I just get so damn hungry for that place. I guess I could go to Morton's Steak House here instead.

I need to add one more joint to my list. Morgan's in New Bern, NC.. AWESOME FOOD..
Please don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here.
GO DUKE!!!!!