Dean Smith receiving Presidential Medal of Freedom Award

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Dean Smith receiving Presidential Medal of Freedom Award

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 8th, 2013, 2:26 pm

In honor of putting us to sleep with the four corners, Deano is getting a prize.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... edom-award
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Dean Smith receiving Presidential Medal of Freedom Award

Post by CathyCA » August 8th, 2013, 3:22 pm

That's very nice.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 8th, 2013, 3:55 pm

As much as I dislike the sheep, I think this award should have come earlier, while Dean still knew what was going on in his world.
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 8th, 2013, 4:03 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:As much as I dislike the sheep, I think this award should have come earlier, while Dean still knew what was going on in his world.

I have to agree with you. It is a shame that he will be unaware that he has so honored.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
awhom111
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by awhom111 » August 8th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Congrats to Coach Smith.

Also, congrats to CB&B for contributing to OY's new record after they broke Packpride's mark for most references to UNC in first page thread titles (it's about time for some Duke sports or something).

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 9th, 2013, 11:35 am

Bless his heart, he won't even know he received the award. Congratulations!!!
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » August 9th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I did not know he was ailing. That's so sad. The game needs more people like him in it.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 9th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Turk wrote:I did not know he was ailing. That's so sad. The game needs more people like him in it.
It was really hush-hush for a long time, Turk. Four or five years ago, I met a man at my uncle's home in Eden, NC, who had just been to Late Night with Roy, and he started telling me all about how Dean had to be led out onto the court, how he didn't seem to know where he was, what he was doing there, or why all those people were there. I asked several people I knew who followed unc basketball strongly but didn't attend, and they all pooh-poohed what he told me, but he had the facts.

I don't know if he has Alzheimer's, or dementia, or Parkinson's, or something else, or if they've even said, but I doubt he would have any idea who the President is or why that big house is so white, if he could even travel to DC.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 9th, 2013, 7:54 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Turk wrote:I did not know he was ailing. That's so sad. The game needs more people like him in it.
It was really hush-hush for a long time, Turk. Four or five years ago, I met a man at my uncle's home in Eden, NC, who had just been to Late Night with Roy, and he started telling me all about how Dean had to be led out onto the court, how he didn't seem to know where he was, what he was doing there, or why all those people were there. I asked several people I knew who followed unc basketball strongly but didn't attend, and they all pooh-poohed what he told me, but he had the facts.

I don't know if he has Alzheimer's, or dementia, or Parkinson's, or something else, or if they've even said, but I doubt he would have any idea who the President is or why that big house is so white, if he could even travel to DC.
I did read many months ago, Coach Smith has Alzheimer's. I also wish he could have received honers when he would have been aware.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 10th, 2013, 11:25 am

I recall seeing an interview with a former player of Dean's (and I do not remember who it was) a year or more ago. Dean's players had been visiting him regularly over the last few years. He said that at first Dean was happy to see them and while confused, could discuss basketball and events with some level of understanding, over time they had to remind Dean who they were, showed him video's of past games and then he would remember at least partially. Sadly, as of the time of the interview Dean had no recollection of any players or any of his 'basketball life'

Nancy Reagan referred to Alzheimers as "the long good bye" . Having lost my grandmother and mother in law I can say that that is perfect description. It is heartbreaking to watch someone reduced to a shell of their former selves. My heart goes out to Dean, his family and all those who care about him even if they are tarheels.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 10th, 2013, 9:23 pm

awhom111 wrote:Congrats to Coach Smith.

Also, congrats to CB&B for contributing to OY's new record after they broke Packpride's mark for most references to UNC in first page thread titles (it's about time for some Duke sports or something).

That's pretty damn funny. Should we send a thank you note to PJ :D ?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 10th, 2013, 9:25 pm

As much as I hated the bastard and the rest of the sheep (and still do for that matter :ymdevil: ), I believe this is a well deserved honor and sadly belated in its award.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 11th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Well. Hmmmm. I guess I'm the only one here saying to herself "The Medal of Freedom? For what?" Just smack me if you must, but I just don't get it. He is/was a nice man (most of the time) who won a lot of basketball games for the University of North Carolina but, I can think of a LOT of people who really do deserve to receive the highest civilian honor our country has to offer before him.

Same goes for Oprah. Africa should give her a medal for all she's done for the education of girls over there, but when you get right down to it, most of what she's done in this country has been for Oprah. I have no problem with that. But, no award for it is necessary.

I'd award it to any rank and file school teacher first.

I suppose this should go on the snark thread. I guess I've just had a long day and just feel like shooting my mouth off for a change.
Love, Ima :twocents-twocents:
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 12th, 2013, 7:01 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Well. Hmmmm. I guess I'm the only one here saying to herself "The Medal of Freedom? For what?" Just smack me if you must, but I just don't get it. He is/was a nice man (most of the time) who won a lot of basketball games for the University of North Carolina but, I can think of a LOT of people who really do deserve to receive the highest civilian honor our country has to offer before him.

Same goes for Oprah. Africa should give her a medal for all she's done for the education of girls over there, but when you get right down to it, most of what she's done in this country has been for Oprah. I have no problem with that. But, no award for it is necessary.

I'd award it to any rank and file school teacher first.

I suppose this should go on the snark thread. I guess I've just had a long day and just feel like shooting my mouth off for a change.
Love, Ima :twocents-twocents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidenti ... of_Freedom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pr ... recipients

Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 12th, 2013, 8:46 am

Thanks for the link, LG. It's a verrrrry long list. I guess my point is that we already have the Kennedy Honors for most all of that. I believe the Medal of Freedom should really, REALLY mean something. They shouldn't be handed out like grocery store coupons.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 12th, 2013, 9:41 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Thanks for the link, LG. It's a verrrrry long list. I guess my point is that we already have the Kennedy Honors for most all of that. I believe the Medal of Freedom should really, REALLY mean something. They shouldn't be handed out like grocery store coupons.

Love, Ima
Ima, I don't disagree with you. Unless and until Coach K gets one. :D

Seriously, I think a Medal of FREEDOM ought to be narrowed down to things that impact freedom. I'm a fan of some of the people on the list (frankly, I've never heard of some of them) but I don't know what a lot of them have to do with freedom. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 12th, 2013, 10:57 am

Looking at who's on the list from the sports world, it appears that Coach K should get one of those medals SOON.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 12th, 2013, 11:16 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Thanks for the link, LG. It's a verrrrry long list. I guess my point is that we already have the Kennedy Honors for most all of that. I believe the Medal of Freedom should really, REALLY mean something. They shouldn't be handed out like grocery store coupons.

Love, Ima
I would equate it with knighthood in the UK. It is a recognition of great individual accomplishment that along the way affected a large number of people, which is something that all Americans should strive for. And along his way, Deano affected a great many.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.