Don't Take Health Issues Lightly (And I Need Some Vibes)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Re: Don't Take Health Issues Lightly (And I Need Some Vibes)

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm

How about an update? Hoping your situation is improving daily, colchar. Still vibing away!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2013, 1:55 pm

Sorry, been negligent with the updates as I've been busy with medical appointments and trying to get some decent sleep (the percocet helps with that!).

I saw the surgeon and he said that he thinks the steroids that had been injected to deal with the initial psoriasis had broken down the fatty tissue beneath the skin and caused the original ulcer. The fact that I have a habit of sitting cross legged (been doing that since I was a small child and always do so with my left leg/foot on the bottom) probably contributed to the problem as I continued to do that even after the injections. Basically, it seems that the original ulcer might have been some sort of pressure wound. The later infection could have come from damned near any source.

On a more exciting note, he said that the antibiotics seem to have done their job so he ordered that I finish them and then that they be discontinued so I got the I.V. taken out of my arm yesterday!!!!!!!!!!! That meant that I could take a proper shower for the first time in days - well I had a plastic bag over my foot to keep the dressing dry but still, I got to have a real shower! My right arm makes me look like a junkie :D but that will go away in the next few days.

The surgeon also said that he doesn't think that the infection has spread to the bone but he won't be able to say for certain until after the MRI this week. He gave instructions for the wound care nurse to monitor the wound and surrounding area very closely so that I can be put straight back onto antibiotics should there be the slightest setback (whether intravenously or orally, he didn't say). When she was changing the dressing yesterday she showed me a lot of dead, peeling skin (sort of like after a bad sunburn) and said that that was a good sign as it showed that the area was healing. She also said that there is significantly less discharge than there had been. There is still some there, but it is nowhere near as bad as what there had been.

The surgeon ordered a different material for packing the wound (called silvercell or something like that - the info is upstairs so I can't check it at the moment) so that is being used now. It still hurts like hell after the wound is packed and the foot still causes pain when attempting to walk, but I am cautiously optimistic that the worst might have passed. The pain when I am sitting hasn't gotten any better but I expect that will come with time (I hope so because I am signed up to take a couple of courses in the fall and I do not relish trying to sit through a three hour class two nights per week unless that pain is gone).

According to the surgeon the hole in my ankle (the original ulcer) is now only about 3/4 of its original size so we just have to keep plugging away to get that to close up. As that happens he will monitor the pain in the area surrounding the ankle but he did say that the tissue was badly damaged so even if it appears to be alright on the surface, it could still be damaged underneath and might take some time to heal. I still don't have anywhere close to full range of motion in the foot but I am hoping that will return in time although I am guessing that, if the scarring is extensive, I might have decreased range of motion for a considerable period if not permanently. Considering the alternative had this infection spread further, I am fine with that. And I think it might be prudent to use a cane while walking for the next while as taking weight off the ankle can only help. I'll speak to my family doctor about that when I see him in the afternoon after my MRI this week.

So, while I am a long way from being completely out of the woods, it seems that I have finally turned a corner with this thing. I guess CTN vibes did their job yet again!!!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 3rd, 2013, 2:37 pm

colchar wrote:Sorry, been negligent with the updates as I've been busy with medical appointments and trying to get some decent sleep (the percocet helps with that!).

I saw the surgeon and he said that he thinks the steroids that had been injected to deal with the initial psoriasis had broken down the fatty tissue beneath the skin and caused the original ulcer. The fact that I have a habit of sitting cross legged (been doing that since I was a small child and always do so with my left leg/foot on the bottom) probably contributed to the problem as I continued to do that even after the injections. Basically, it seems that the original ulcer might have been some sort of pressure wound. The later infection could have come from damned near any source.

On a more exciting note, he said that the antibiotics seem to have done their job so he ordered that I finish them and then that they be discontinued so I got the I.V. taken out of my arm yesterday!!!!!!!!!!! That meant that I could take a proper shower for the first time in days - well I had a plastic bag over my foot to keep the dressing dry but still, I got to have a real shower! My right arm makes me look like a junkie :D but that will go away in the next few days.

The surgeon also said that he doesn't think that the infection has spread to the bone but he won't be able to say for certain until after the MRI this week. He gave instructions for the wound care nurse to monitor the wound and surrounding area very closely so that I can be put straight back onto antibiotics should there be the slightest setback (whether intravenously or orally, he didn't say). When she was changing the dressing yesterday she showed me a lot of dead, peeling skin (sort of like after a bad sunburn) and said that that was a good sign as it showed that the area was healing. She also said that there is significantly less discharge than there had been. There is still some there, but it is nowhere near as bad as what there had been.

The surgeon ordered a different material for packing the wound (called silvercell or something like that - the info is upstairs so I can't check it at the moment) so that is being used now. It still hurts like hell after the wound is packed and the foot still causes pain when attempting to walk, but I am cautiously optimistic that the worst might have passed. The pain when I am sitting hasn't gotten any better but I expect that will come with time (I hope so because I am signed up to take a couple of courses in the fall and I do not relish trying to sit through a three hour class two nights per week unless that pain is gone).

According to the surgeon the hole in my ankle (the original ulcer) is now only about 3/4 of its original size so we just have to keep plugging away to get that to close up. As that happens he will monitor the pain in the area surrounding the ankle but he did say that the tissue was badly damaged so even if it appears to be alright on the surface, it could still be damaged underneath and might take some time to heal. I still don't have anywhere close to full range of motion in the foot but I am hoping that will return in time although I am guessing that, if the scarring is extensive, I might have decreased range of motion for a considerable period if not permanently. Considering the alternative had this infection spread further, I am fine with that. And I think it might be prudent to use a cane while walking for the next while as taking weight off the ankle can only help. I'll speak to my family doctor about that when I see him in the afternoon after my MRI this week.

So, while I am a long way from being completely out of the woods, it seems that I have finally turned a corner with this thing. I guess CTN vibes did their job yet again!!!
All very encouraging to read. Thanks for the update. Keep healing! (not heeling 8-| )
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 3rd, 2013, 3:41 pm

Very encouraging news and it couldn't me more welcome to hear!

Saturday vibes & hugs for continued healing and continued good news!

:wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 3rd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Let's go Colchar! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2013, 5:22 pm

Thanks folks.

My normal nurse was off today so someone else came in her place. This one said that he was surprised that the surgeon hadn't prescribed any oral antibiotics after saying that I could come off the intravenous ones. The E.R. doctor who had originally put me on them had said that I would be on pills after the I.V. was done and my family doctor had said that he thought I should be on the I.V. for a further five days. This nurse warned me to really keep an eye on the wound to see how it looked and also said that, if the pain get to 50%-75% of what it had been, that I should go straight back to the emergency room. I was also kind of surprised that the surgeon hadn't prescribed any further antibiotics so, barring things getting worse and me having to head back to the E.R., I will speak to my family doctor about the issue when I see him on Thursday. Right now it seems that he is deferring to the surgeon because he is the expert in these wounds but we'll see what he says when I see him.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 3rd, 2013, 8:13 pm

The antibiotics will continue to work in your system for a while longer even though the IV has been removed. Just the same, watch this like a hawk and at the very first sign of regression, let somebody know!!! Do NOT put it off.

The silver they are now packing it with will aid in healing, too.

This is all terrific news, colchar. Don't CTN vibes rock?
Love, Ima
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 3rd, 2013, 8:26 pm

Great news!!!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 3rd, 2013, 11:25 pm

My foot is driving me absolutely mad today as it is itching like crazy but, because the area is so sore, I cannot scratch it. I am hoping the itching is due to the skin healing - sort of like how a it itches when a broken bone knits back together (sadly, I know that feeling all too well).

Because of the I.V. in my forearm I wasn't able to pick up any of my guitars this past week so I think I will grab one now to see if I can distract myself. Playing won't be easy as I can't sit in a normal position but I'm thinking that even laying back on the couch and farting around with one might offer enough of a distraction that I won't notice the itching for a little while. Either that or I'll get stoned on percocet and pass out for the night.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 4th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Continued vibes for you, Colchar. I hope you will continue to heal.

Let us know how the guitar playing goes.
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 4th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Sunday vibes for continued healing, hopes that the itching subsides and hugs for good measure! Keep an eye on that wound and do what Ima says - she knows what she's saying!

:wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 5th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Looks like NASCAR vibes have been working, as in addition to your health news, you won CTN Nascar Fantasy League this weekend!
Continued NASCAR vibes... for your health! :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 5th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Monday vibes for continued healing & congrats on your NASCAR win!

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2013, 5:49 pm

More healing vibes are coming your way, Colchar! :bandaid:

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 5th, 2013, 8:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:More healing vibes are coming your way, Colchar! :bandaid:

I'll second that! Thinking of you and sending vibes far more than I post. Hope the healing is continuing. :bandaid: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 5th, 2013, 10:31 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:More healing vibes are coming your way, Colchar! :bandaid:

I'll second that! Thinking of you and sending vibes far more than I post. Hope the healing is continuing. :bandaid: :9f:

What she said. Or is that what they said? Either way - it's what I say.
Life is good!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 6th, 2013, 9:31 am

Tuesday vibes & hugs for continued healing!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 8th, 2013, 7:27 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

VIBES that you are continuing to heal. Been mighty quiet 'round these parts - I hope that is because you are on the mend.

I am not a doctor, I do not play one on TV and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night (I have seen every episode of House, so I know it is not lupus...because it is never lupus) but I am not happy with going from IV antibiotics to NO antibiotics. Not happy at all.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 8th, 2013, 7:29 am

How's it going? Vibes still flowing!!!!!
Love, Ima
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 8th, 2013, 9:58 am

More vibes & hugs for healing!