Don't Take Health Issues Lightly (And I Need Some Vibes)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Don't Take Health Issues Lightly (And I Need Some Vibes)

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 31st, 2013, 11:32 am

Continued recovery/healing vibes. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

I believe that Mickey Mantle suffered from Osteomyelitis after he tore up his knee as a rookie in 1951. Knee/leg problems hounded him for the rest of his illustrious 18 year career, but he DID have one helluva career through 1968! 536 home runs, of which I (only) witnessed that last one in Yankee Stadium. It was his addiction to alcohol that killed him young (and his livers, both of them...) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2013, 1:34 pm

Isn't Percocet a wonderful drug? Being able to manage the pain is so important to your healing process, Colchar.

I'm glad your family doctor is back in the picture.

Vibing and praying for you!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 31st, 2013, 4:20 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Continued recovery/healing vibes. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

I believe that Mickey Mantle suffered from Osteomyelitis after he tore up his knee as a rookie in 1951. Knee/leg problems hounded him for the rest of his illustrious 18 year career, but he DID have one helluva career through 1968! 536 home runs, of which I (only) witnessed that last one in Yankee Stadium. It was his addiction to alcohol that killed him young (and his livers, both of them...) :9f:

I saw his last home run in Yankee Stadium...also the last one he ever hit...

In 1973 to celebrate the final Old Timers' Day in the original Yankee Stadium, Whitey Ford pitched to Mickey Mantle allowing Mantle to hit a home run, his final of his lifetime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9fNcMLaW_A
I will never forget the little nod Whitey gave the Mick before he pitched.
I would love to know what Mickey said to Whitey rounding 2nd.

...so this isn't a total thread jack... :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

vibes for healing Colchar! Glad you Dr. is back and things are starting to move.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 31st, 2013, 5:22 pm

windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Continued recovery/healing vibes. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

I saw his last home run in Yankee Stadium...also the last one he ever hit...

In 1973 to celebrate the final Old Timers' Day in the original Yankee Stadium, Whitey Ford pitched to Mickey Mantle allowing Mantle to hit a home run, his final of his lifetime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9fNcMLaW_A
I will never forget the little nod Whitey gave the Mick before he pitched.
I would love to know what Mickey said to Whitey rounding 2nd.

...so this isn't a total thread jack... :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

vibes for healing Colchar! Glad you Dr. is back and things are starting to move.
That is WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you Windsor! I'm a little jealous of you. ;) I saw #536 as I said, then was at the Stadium for Mickey Mantle Day on June 15, 1969, when they retired his #7 between games of a double header! Very fond memory! :9f:

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 31st, 2013, 5:28 pm

I hear that Mantle was a fan of NASCAR. 8-|
Speaking of which, vibes to colchar for a good Thursday! :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 31st, 2013, 7:08 pm

Another update.......

Because I know the pain that is coming my way when the wound is being repacked I have taken to reading a book, and therefore completely obscuring my view, when that is being done. But when she was changing the dressing today, and before she started repacking the wound, the nurse asked if I wanted to see my ankle so I took a look then grabbed my Blackberry so that I could snap a picture to get a better look (pretty tough to get a real good look at your outside ankle!).

I am a long way from being out of the woods but a lot of the red infected and burned looking skin has changed colour. It isn’t a normal colour yet, but it is closer to normal than it had been. I do not like the idea of being on these I.V. antibiotics for another five days but seeing the improvement since Sunday makes me think that it will definitely be worth the hassle. Unfortunately, my foot hurts like hell right now because the wound has just been repacked (it always hurts afterwards which I guess makes sense because it has just been cleaned and had strips of dressing stuffed into it) and the percocet that I take before the appointments doesn't help much after the repacking is completed. But I'll live.

I am guessing that once the infection is gone they will get the hole from the original wound closed up and I am assuming that, once that is done, they will deal with the damaged tissue around the former hole. It still hurts a lot of the time (sitting in a normal position with my feet flat on the floor, or hanging down in any way, hurts like you wouldn’t believe perhaps because of the increased blood pressure or something - our resident M.D. would have to comment on that) but not to the degree that it did before I went to the hospital.

So, as I said, I am a long way from being out of the woods but there has been some improvement even just over the last five days. I was worried sick about the infection having gotten into the bone so let's hope this is a sign that we caught it before that happened.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 31st, 2013, 7:28 pm

Your wound is healing from the inside out. It will gradually fill in from the sides and up from the bottom. The tissue change you see is a sign that it is granulating. This is a good thing, one of the first stages of healing. Keep up the good work! This is the way wounds were left to heal back on the frontier, before they started stitching things up. Back then they would give you a swig of whiskey and a bullet to bite. We've come a long way, huh. Unfortunately, you will have a pretty big scar you can make up stories about to tell your grandchildren. But hey! It sounds like they're saving your leg, big guy! This is great news.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Hugs.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 31st, 2013, 7:33 pm

Definitely good news! Things are beginning to move in the right direction. I know the IV is a pain, but it sure seems that those antibiotics are shin-kicking the infection. The road ahead is still long (and probably bumpy) but it does sound like you may have turned the corner.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

vibes that it continues

(PS to Ozzie...the 73 Old Timers Game was also the last one DiMaggio played in. He'd show up and wave after that but not take the field. The heat almost wiped him out - so he didn't play after that game.)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 31st, 2013, 9:06 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: that the healing continues!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 31st, 2013, 9:43 pm

colchar wrote:Another update.......

Because I know the pain that is coming my way when the wound is being repacked I have taken to reading a book, and therefore completely obscuring my view, when that is being done. But when she was changing the dressing today, and before she started repacking the wound, the nurse asked if I wanted to see my ankle so I took a look then grabbed my Blackberry so that I could snap a picture to get a better look (pretty tough to get a real good look at your outside ankle!).

I am a long way from being out of the woods but a lot of the red infected and burned looking skin has changed colour. It isn’t a normal colour yet, but it is closer to normal than it had been. I do not like the idea of being on these I.V. antibiotics for another five days but seeing the improvement since Sunday makes me think that it will definitely be worth the hassle. Unfortunately, my foot hurts like hell right now because the wound has just been repacked (it always hurts afterwards which I guess makes sense because it has just been cleaned and had strips of dressing stuffed into it) and the percocet that I take before the appointments doesn't help much after the repacking is completed. But I'll live.

I am guessing that once the infection is gone they will get the hole from the original wound closed up and I am assuming that, once that is done, they will deal with the damaged tissue around the former hole. It still hurts a lot of the time (sitting in a normal position with my feet flat on the floor, or hanging down in any way, hurts like you wouldn’t believe perhaps because of the increased blood pressure or something - our resident M.D. would have to comment on that) but not to the degree that it did before I went to the hospital.

So, as I said, I am a long way from being out of the woods but there has been some improvement even just over the last five days. I was worried sick about the infection having gotten into the bone so let's hope this is a sign that we caught it before that happened.
The increased pain while you are standing or sitting with your feet in a "hanging down" down position is due to increased blood/tissue pressure and dependent edema/swelling of all the infected tissues. Might be due to osteomyelitis but the MRI scan will determine that diagnosis. Really hope that's not it as that would likely require 4-6 weeks of IV antibiotics whereas the rip-roaring cellulitis that it sounds like now is probably due for about 2 weeks of IV treatment. I'm not an ID (Infectious Disease) expert so those are recollections from medical school and residency from the late 70s and early 80s. And I'm not staying in a Holiday Inn/Express anytime soon either :ymblushing: .

Once again, hope the wound care and IV antibiotics have made the critical difference here and get well soon.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 31st, 2013, 11:04 pm

windsor wrote:Definitely good news! Things are beginning to move in the right direction. I know the IV is a pain, but it sure seems that those antibiotics are shin-kicking the infection. The road ahead is still long (and probably bumpy) but it does sound like you may have turned the corner.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

vibes that it continues

(PS to Ozzie...the 73 Old Timers Game was also the last one DiMaggio played in. He'd show up and wave after that but not take the field. The heat almost wiped him out - so he didn't play after that game.)
Joltin' Joe just sat back and drank coffee, huh? :))

IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 1st, 2013, 9:55 am

Sounds like progress and that is great news! As slow as it seems, progress is good! Here's the Thursday vibes & hugs for continued healing!

:wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 1st, 2013, 10:33 am

IowaDevil wrote:Sounds like progress and that is great news! As slow as it seems, progress is good! Here's the Thursday vibes & hugs for continued healing!

:wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug:

What my neighbor to the north said. Who cares if the fanny pack is annoying - it is doing its work. Happy healing.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 1st, 2013, 10:58 am

I'm sending fanny pack vibes today that you're feeling less pain, and that your skin is returning to its normal colour. Also, that the scarring won't be so noticeable.

:wizard: :chillpill: :wizard: :chillpill: :wizard:

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 1st, 2013, 6:37 pm

Continued healing vibes, buddy! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 2nd, 2013, 4:49 pm

Throwing in some Fanny Packing Shin Kicking Microbe Stomping VIBES

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2013, 7:26 pm

JJ won the pole at Pocono.
Vibing that the JJ-like antibiotics kick the butts of those germs! :wizard: :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 2nd, 2013, 8:35 pm

Still sending lots of microbe-shin-kicking vibes! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 3rd, 2013, 12:32 am

I didn't forget to send my Friday healing vibes and hugs -- just a little late in the day! Hope all is looking up!

:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 3rd, 2013, 9:23 am

I'm sending fanny-pack IV, Percocet painkilling vibes!

~ James Naismith