Stupid Ads on Facebook

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Stupid Ads on Facebook

Post by CathyCA » April 15th, 2009, 2:57 pm

I keep getting the stupid Facebook ad for "UNC BEING NATIONAL CHAMPS" group. Every time it appears on my screen, I give it a thumbs down and indicate that I don't like the ad because it is offensive.

Is anyone else having trouble with that ad appearing on their FB screen every time they refresh their FB homepage?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Stupid Ads on Facebook

Post by cl15876 » April 15th, 2009, 3:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:I keep getting the stupid Facebook ad for "UNC BEING NATIONAL CHAMPS" group. Every time it appears on my screen, I give it a thumbs down and indicate that I don't like the ad because it is offensive.

Is anyone else having trouble with that ad appearing on their FB screen every time they refresh their FB homepage?
Haven't seen that one yet!.... I hope I don't!!!!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 15th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Ads don't bother me nearly as much as the stupid applications they allow on there (all of which automatically have access to all of your personal information). I mean seriously - mafia wars? zombie wars? foodfight? Fucking ridiculous.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

I'd join it and make continous posts that says "GO TO HELL CAROLINA" over and over again. :ymdevil:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 15th, 2009, 3:13 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'd join it and make continous posts that says "GO TO HELL CAROLINA" over and over again. :ymdevil:
Excellent! I love it! :))
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 15th, 2009, 3:13 pm

colchar wrote:Ads don't bother me neither as much as the stupid applications they allow on there (all of which automatically have access to all of your personal information). I mean seriously - mafia wars? zombie wars? foodfight? Fucking ridiculous.
I'm sick of the quizzes and top fives.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 15th, 2009, 3:16 pm

I somehow added my name to the mafia wars and vampire wars. Apparently, I keep helping people do something, but I've yet to do anything. I don't even have time to learn how to play.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 15th, 2009, 3:18 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
colchar wrote:Ads don't bother me neither as much as the stupid applications they allow on there (all of which automatically have access to all of your personal information). I mean seriously - mafia wars? zombie wars? foodfight? Fucking ridiculous.
I'm sick of the quizzes and top fives.

Me too.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » April 15th, 2009, 3:18 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I somehow added my name to the mafia wars and vampire wars. Apparently, I keep helping people do something, but I've yet to do anything. I don't even have time to learn how to play.
And we appreciate your help. 8-x
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 15th, 2009, 3:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I somehow added my name to the mafia wars and vampire wars. Apparently, I keep helping people do something, but I've yet to do anything. I don't even have time to learn how to play.
Me too! I know some of our friends here are into Mafia wars and maybe they can help us understand the value! Wordtwist and Scramble and Soduko seem to be much more beneficial to mind enrichment! :-B :D ;)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 15th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Sue71 wrote:
And we appreciate your help. 8-x
Yes, yes we do! :D :D :D
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 15th, 2009, 3:28 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Me too! I know some of our friends here are into Mafia wars and maybe they can help us understand the value! Wordtwist and Scramble and Soduko seem to be much more beneficial to mind enrichment! :-B :D ;)
I take out my aggression on people, without actually hurting them. :-$
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 15th, 2009, 3:57 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Tilly - How exactly does that work? Shall I have a 1 on 1 with knights69?
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 15th, 2009, 4:03 pm

I'm addicted to Mafia Wars!

To the problem at hand
The first time you see one of those top five things (or similar survey crap) click over the the right side of the wall post and you can block either the user or the entire application from ever speaking to you again. Granted you need to it for each survey or top five, but at least you won't have to see them more than once.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 15th, 2009, 4:03 pm

cl15876 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Tilly - How exactly does that work? Shall I have a 1 on 1 with knights68?
He is the one helping me learn how to play these games. O:-)

I like beating up mafiosos and vampires. It is preferable to beating up co-workers. ;)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 15th, 2009, 4:09 pm

I just tried to rob someone on Mafia Wars and lost 90k. Crap!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 15th, 2009, 4:11 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I just tried to rob someone on Mafia Wars and lost 90k. Crap!
Guess things aren't working as planned????? :-? /:) :-ss ~x(
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 15th, 2009, 4:11 pm

90k shouldn't be that big a deal - what level are you now? Money becomes useless beyond a certain point...I think one of mine has 18 billion in the bank...also let me know if you need any gifts (rings/pictures/horses etc) I've got a bunch.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 15th, 2009, 4:14 pm

windsor wrote:
90k shouldn't be that big a deal - what level are you now? Money becomes useless beyond a certain point...I think one of mine has 18 billion in the bank...also let me know if you need any gifts (rings/pictures/horses etc) I've got a bunch.
I've got just over $3m in the bank and am level 16.

More than anything, I need to build up my mafia, only have 8 members.

P.S. You're right 90k isn't that big a deal. It was losing my first robbery that bothers me. Though I should have banked the money then robbed someone.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 15th, 2009, 4:27 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
windsor wrote:
I've got just over $3m in the bank and am level 16.

More than anything, I need to build up my mafia, only have 8 members.

P.S. You're right 90k isn't that big a deal. It was losing my first robbery that bothers me. Though I should have banked the money then robbed someone.

You can add mafia by grabbing one of the e-mail lists from the assortment of 'grow your mafia' groups. Here is the trick...you can delete them from your friends once they are in your mafia - you won't get the 'so and so needs help' but it also will keep a ton of crap off your wall - when you Mafia gets really large managing them is a pain in the ass - I've got about 40 people in my main facebook account friends who are strictly mafia wars folks and I need to go delete them...I also have 720 (no joke) pending friend requests from Mafia members. what I do with the friend request is a create a 'mafia' list on my friends, I make sure I add them to the list before I accept their friend request. anybody who uses the status link to join their mafia I click that, add them then go right back and delete the person. It is a royal pain - my 'real' account has a mafia of just under 1000, the one I set up on FB for just mafia wars has 2000+ pending requests and a 1500 person mafia - on that account I don't bother to delete anyone because I don't use it for anything else.
They are both at around lvl 150