Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Turk » June 2nd, 2013, 5:10 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:We walked in to Cameron yesterday and watched a little bit of the K Academy games. Fun stuff. I didn't recognize anybody. Lots of old guys playing ball. Mostly "campers."

:9f:
Those Campers pay or Donate $10k for the K Academy camp!!!

I saw Kyrie on Friday........ not on campus. But in Durham.
Yeah, that was one thing on my bucket list that doesn't look like it will get crossed off. You have to be 35+ and by all accounts the coaches are wonderful and it's a tremendous experience. I pitched Mrs. Turk a few times when the camp first started several years ago, but she laughed at me. She is a pragmatic accountant, and for $10k she would prefer to see a more tangible return like a rehabbed kitchen or basement. I traded posts with some guys OY who played, and I think I missed my window. Even if I wore Mrs. Turk out and talked her into it, now I'm on the wrong side of 50, the knees are getting creaky, and without quitting my job I don't think I could get myself in good enough shape to really compete. I couldn't tell you the last time I played ball four or five days in a row; I'm down to twice a week now and even then I have conflicts. <sigh>
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 2nd, 2013, 10:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:Max is going to the long snap camp at Duke the middle of this month. He's also going to baseball camp in July. He is so excited. :happy-bouncyblue:
He could have a scholarship to Duke as a long snapper, then a long NFL career doing the same. Smart boy. But then, WE all know that already! :9f:
We'll have to see about that. It would be nice but we are not counting on it.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 2nd, 2013, 10:43 pm

Turk wrote:
CathyCA wrote:We walked in to Cameron yesterday and watched a little bit of the K Academy games. Fun stuff. I didn't recognize anybody. Lots of old guys playing ball. Mostly "campers."

Yeah, that was one thing on my bucket list that doesn't look like it will get crossed off. You have to be 35+ and by all accounts the coaches are wonderful and it's a tremendous experience. I pitched Mrs. Turk a few times when the camp first started several years ago, but she laughed at me. She is a pragmatic accountant, and for $10k she would prefer to see a more tangible return like a rehabbed kitchen or basement. I traded posts with some guys OY who played, and I think I missed my window. Even if I wore Mrs. Turk out and talked her into it, now I'm on the wrong side of 50, the knees are getting creaky, and without quitting my job I don't think I could get myself in good enough shape to really compete. I couldn't tell you the last time I played ball four or five days in a row; I'm down to twice a week now and even then I have conflicts. <sigh>
I had a friend who went 4 years in a row. He stunk at basketball during undergrad, but he did get to live his fantasy. Then kids started showing up, he occasionally reminisces about his times at the camp.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 3rd, 2013, 6:25 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I had a friend who went 4 years in a row. He stunk at basketball during undergrad, but he did get to live his fantasy. Then kids started showing up, he occasionally reminisces about his times at the camp.
He and his wife had children which curbed his him going.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 3rd, 2013, 12:31 pm

One of the AC Units in our building has apparently died.
If services the area where I sit.
I sit in IT...where we all have a MINIMUM of two laptops/pcs and 4 monitors.
It is a sunny day out
We are on the third floor.
We are in Tampa, Florida.

It is getting a bit uncomfortable.

I think I need to go check on our SQL server......(server room as own a/c cooling)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 3rd, 2013, 6:59 pm

windsor wrote:One of the AC Units in our building has apparently died.
It is a sunny day out

I think I need to go check on our SQL server......(server room as own a/c cooling)
I'm pretty sure you have some comp time coming starting right now!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » June 4th, 2013, 1:00 am

windsor wrote:One of the AC Units in our building has apparently died.
It is a sunny day out

Guess it's a good thing you haven't moved your db's to the cloud yet.... ;)
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 4th, 2013, 6:57 am

I sit directly under an A/C vent. I need long sleeves in summer.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 4th, 2013, 7:35 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I sit directly under an A/C vent. I need long sleeves in summer.

I do too - and have an assortment of sweaters hanging out in my cube as well. I keep a pair of fingerless gloves in my drawer - sometimes the A/C blowing hurts my hands. Normally my desk is 'Meat Locker' yesterday it was 'Vegetable Steamer'.

This morning I am pleased to report the A/C is crankin' and it is back to sub-arctic.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 4th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Turk wrote:

$10k is alot to give or donate for a 5 day camp to play basketball with former Duke players! I understand Mrs Turk's feelings and point of view. But I also understand your feelings in wanting the Experience to remember a lifetime. For those that have a spare $10k laying around, it is a great experience for men to be around Coach K and staff and former players and have a great week!!!!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 4th, 2013, 7:39 pm

It's been a crazy couple of weeks for me. We're preparing to attend a big professional meeting, and I had do get data analysis done for 3 presentations. I worked the last 2 weekends and leave on Friday for a marathon trip to the conference, which will be held in Minneapolis, MN. Stopping in St. Louis on the way back in order to make arrangements for leasing my condo. Will also have to visit Ted Drewe's while I'm in town. It's a moral imperative. Also planning to visit my favorite Mediterranean place for a gyro, and I want to go to the MoBot. Other plans are up in the air.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 4th, 2013, 9:17 pm

We landed at RDU at 4pm.

We are home, the dogs are home, B is playing Dire Straits on his stereo, and all is right in the world until tomorrow morning when I descend back to hel, uh,work.

Thanks for all the vibes, prayers, and good wishes for us in the death of B's dad and for our cross-country travel.
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 4th, 2013, 9:21 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:We landed at RDU at 4pm.

We are home, the dogs are home, B is playing Dire Straits on his stereo, and all is right in the world until tomorrow morning when I descend back to hel, uh,work.

Thanks for all the vibes, prayers, and good wishes for us in the death of B's dad and for our cross-country travel.
Welcome home.. At least you don't have to go to chapel hell tomorrow! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 4th, 2013, 9:51 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Welcome home.. At least you don't have to go to chapel hell tomorrow! :9f:
There IS always a bright side, isn't there? :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 4th, 2013, 11:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:It's been a crazy couple of weeks for me. We're preparing to attend a big professional meeting, and I had do get data analysis done for 3 presentations. I worked the last 2 weekends and leave on Friday for a marathon trip to the conference, which will be held in Minneapolis, MN. Stopping in St. Louis on the way back in order to make arrangements for leasing my condo. Will also have to visit Ted Drewe's while I'm in town. It's a moral imperative. Also planning to visit my favorite Mediterranean place for a gyro, and I want to go to the MoBot. Other plans are up in the air.
If you were heading up on Thursday, we could wave as we passed each other. Have a great conference.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 4th, 2013, 11:49 pm

I'm glad that you are home safe and sound. You and B will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Losing one's dad stinks.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » June 5th, 2013, 7:55 am

ArkieDukie wrote:It's been a crazy couple of weeks for me. We're preparing to attend a big professional meeting, and I had do get data analysis done for 3 presentations. I worked the last 2 weekends and leave on Friday for a marathon trip to the conference, which will be held in Minneapolis, MN. Stopping in St. Louis on the way back in order to make arrangements for leasing my condo. Will also have to visit Ted Drewe's while I'm in town. It's a moral imperative. Also planning to visit my favorite Mediterranean place for a gyro, and I want to go to the MoBot. Other plans are up in the air.
And we are in Houston this weekend with a very likely trip to Galveston for a bit of fresh shrimp! Meet you next trip! :( You have a great trip! :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » June 5th, 2013, 7:56 am

Welcome home! :ymhug:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 5th, 2013, 9:01 am

YmoBeThere wrote: I had a friend who went 4 years in a row. He stunk at basketball during undergrad, but he did get to live his fantasy. Then kids started showing up, he occasionally reminisces about his times at the camp.
Man, if I had $40K to throw away, I'd get me an old Mustang or Vette and fix it up.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 5th, 2013, 11:24 am

Favorite shoplifter.jpg
I think I'm safe in publishing his picture now. Yes, the tattoo on his cheek is what it appears to be.

No, the Slates do not represent him. Probably a good thing. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.