The Restaurant Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: The Restaurant Thread

Post by captmojo » July 22nd, 2009, 4:08 pm

Sixth place, or worse, is the story of my life.
#-o :(
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 22nd, 2009, 4:09 pm

captmojo wrote:Sixth place, or worse, is the story of my life.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 22nd, 2009, 4:15 pm

I'd definitely give you a higher rating than a six!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 22nd, 2009, 4:19 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
I'd definitely give you a higher rating than a six!
Me too, especially with a TAIL like that! :D
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 22nd, 2009, 4:20 pm

Yeah, but the poor cap'n didn't make anybody's top 5 list.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 22nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

Hey, I ain't all hang-dog about it.
I am glad to make somebody's top five. :-*
:D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » July 22nd, 2009, 6:25 pm

I would like to get my soapbox out and preach to the brethren and sistren about The Franchise Rule:

"When venturing into strange and unfamiliar territory, never dine at a franchise or chain restaurant when an acceptable independent and local eatery is available."

This has a couple corollaries:

"If stuck with a franchise out of starvation, berserk children, or other equivalent emergency, go with the local chain (e.g. Five Guys) over the national (McWendyKing)."
"A franchise should never qualify for any slot in a Favorite Restaurant list. Ever."

Please don't get me wrong - they have fine steaks at RuthMortonChris... I am not slamming all franchises or national chains as bad quality. Suppose you were on your first ever trip to the Triangle. Why would you really settle for something at a TGI (That Garbage's Inedible) Friday's over some Bullock's or other fine North Carolina :@) :@) :@) 'que? Life's too short for mediocre food, wouldn't you agree? Can I get an "Amen"? :-bd or :-q ??

Unfortunately, I don't get out much anymore; but these used to be my favorites:

Whitey's - Arlington, VA (R.I.P.)
Totaro's - Conshohocken, PA
Warmdaddy's - Philadelphia, PA
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 22nd, 2009, 6:30 pm

Turk wrote:I would like to get my soapbox out and preach to the brethren and sistren about The Franchise Rule:

"When venturing into strange and unfamiliar territory, never dine at a franchise or chain restaurant when an acceptable independent and local eatery is available."

"If stuck with a franchise out of starvation, berserk children, or other equivalent emergency, go with the local chain (e.g. Five Guys) over the national (McWendyKing)."
"A franchise should never qualify for any slot in a Favorite Restaurant list. Ever."

Please don't get me wrong - they have fine steaks at RuthMortonChris... I am not slamming all franchises or national chains as bad quality. Suppose you were on your first ever trip to the Triangle. Why would you really settle for something at a TGI (That Garbage's Inedible) Friday's over some Bullock's or other fine North Carolina :@) :@) :@) 'que? Life's too short for mediocre food, wouldn't you agree? Can I get an "Amen"? :-bd or :-q ??

Amen!

I try to patron local business to keep everything in the community.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 22nd, 2009, 6:44 pm

Turk wrote:I would like to get my soapbox out and preach to the brethren and sistren about The Franchise Rule:

Here in the sticks of eastern North Carolina, Five Guys would qualify as fine dining. To my dismay, we don't have one.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 22nd, 2009, 6:44 pm

Turk wrote:... Can I get an "Amen"? :-bd or :-q ??

I will AMEN THAT! also :ymhug: !!!!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 22nd, 2009, 6:46 pm

CathyCA wrote: Here in the sticks of eastern North Carolina, Five Guys would qualify as fine dining. To my dismay, we don't have one.
Sorry to hear that, but I know where a few are!!!!! I also hear the internet is good in their area!!! :D
craziecat
PW in training
PW in training

Post by craziecat » July 22nd, 2009, 6:53 pm

OMG, I miss the hell out of the Angus Barn. Great place to eat

Here in Chicago, I love to eat at Millrose, Maggiano's and Houllihans. Cheeseburger is Paradise is always a fun place to eat, drink and listen to live music.

In Hawaii it is Duke's Canoe Club hands down. Great food and the drinks are not ones that we can order here.

Columbia, South Carolina Zorba's has killer Greek Food.

I have lived in so many places, it is really hard to pick one.
Please don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here.
GO DUKE!!!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2009, 6:56 pm

I'm tossin' in my AMEN. Great post Turk!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » July 22nd, 2009, 8:03 pm

Until somewhat recently, Franchesca's on Erwin, a few blocks from Duke Med was THE place! But then they closed up shop (Oh how I miss them!!)
So now, my list is wide open, depending on the faire or specialty.

Crazyfire Mongolian Restaurant has to be in my top three, they flippin rock!
Marvin's Bistro serves some darn good food too, but it is extremely exclusive.... :D
Packo's in Toledo Ohio has some tasty grub, but for the sake of this list, I'll confine my opinions to NC restaurants.
China Wok, southeast Raleigh, has an amazing General Tso Chicken, however Subconscious (in Wolfpack country) has awesome subs (puts Quiznos and the sort to shame).
Best fries is Randy's Pizza (their wings are premier too) and pizza?
That's a toughie. TG and I have become fans of the Italian Restaurant in Durham (Guess Rd I think). Elmos in Durham is good, and takes the place of the now closed George's Garage, both on 9th street in Durham.

And believe it or not, there is this hole in the wall little grill, in a service station a few blocks from Duke Med, that has excellent breakfast cuisine (nothing fancy mind ya, but VERY tasty) but it is a runner up to Bob Evans breakfast (an amazing omelet I had recently with TG... off the charts!)

That's my thoughts
knights68

Post by knights68 » July 22nd, 2009, 8:05 pm

Turk wrote:The Franchise Rule:
ah man brudda!!!!! :ymapplause:
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 22nd, 2009, 8:33 pm

As a general rule I agree with you and make my choices of restaurants accordingly.

Over the years I've used the Sterns' recommendations to find great hole in the wall eateries (such as Pearl of the Atlantic), asked locals (especially the doormen, bell hops in hotels, cab drivers)for their suggestions or done some exploring on my own. But when it comes to Chicken Marsala, you can't beat the way Bucca di Beppo does it. Bella! Bella! Bella! The chains I would list as favorites are those which tend to have one particular dish that is better than can be found anywhere else.

I'd also note that I look for places which are using local produce as much as possible. Fresh is best and supports local farmers!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 22nd, 2009, 8:46 pm

bjornolf wrote:I'm really disappointed that Ozzie didn't comment on the rolls from the Great American Restaurants. I figured he'd be all over that.

%%-
I've never eaten there.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2009, 8:59 pm

knights68 wrote: Marvin's Bistro serves some darn good food too, but it is extremely exclusive.... :D
Since I'm sure they can stand the reduced heat, they outta cater an October Brunchgate.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » July 22nd, 2009, 9:33 pm

I currently have 2 favorite restaurants down here: The Bistro by the Sea in Morehead City and Carltons in Salter Path. Both are upscale restaurants with amazing menus. Carltons recently moved from a very small space to the Ocean Club. Can't wait to try it because they said they would be expanding their menu when they moved. I also like Rucker John's in Emerald Isle. It's good for burgers, steaks, pasta and beer!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 22nd, 2009, 9:35 pm

DukePA wrote:I currently have 2 favorite restaurants down here: The Bistro by the Sea in Morehead City and Carltons in Salter Path. Both are upscale restaurants with amazing menus. Carltons recently moved from a very small space to the Ocean Club. Can't wait to try it because they said they would be expanding their menu when they moved. I also like Rucker John's in Emerald Isle. It's good for burgers, steaks, pasta and beer!
Ya know, I'm archiving this as a TREAT for my girl!!!! ;) Keep them coming, she is WAY WORTH IT and THEN SOME!