Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 8th, 2013, 10:32 pm

And another:

McGritty's Scotch Ale

Solid but not outstanding representative for the style. I like scotch ales with their dark brown colors, caramel/chocolate tastes and slight smokiness and this was no exception. The IBU was 27 so it was very smooth and the ABV was 7.2%, also in order with this type brew. I wouldn't hesitate buying a 6er or bomber of this for sipping/sharing/trading purposes.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 8th, 2013, 10:33 pm

devildeac wrote:And another:

McGritty's Scotch Ale

Solid but not outstanding representative for the style. I like scotch ales with their dark brown colors, caramel/chocolate tastes and slight smokiness and this was no exception. The IBU was 27 so it was very smooth and the ABV was 7.2%, also in order with this type brew. I wouldn't hesitate buying a 6er or bomber of this for sipping/sharing/trading purposes.
And another:

Hogwild IPA

One of their two signature brews. This is a beast with an ABV of 6.7% which is right in line for an IPA but the IBU are "a lot." The beer guide had no idea of the number and the bartender thought it was 200, which I would find outrageous. Brewed with Cascade, Chinook and Columbus hops with dry-hopping from Amarillo, Magnum and Willamette, this hop monster has all the standard hop scents and tastes of pine, resin, "weed" and citrus. We finished our tasting with this simply due to the high IBU/hop madness.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 8th, 2013, 10:34 pm

devildeac wrote:

McGritty's Scotch Ale

And another:

Hogwild IPA

One of their two signature brews. This is a beast with an ABV of 6.7% which is right in line for an IPA but the IBU are "a lot." The beer guide had no idea of the number and the bartender thought it was 200, which I would find outrageous. Brewed with Cascade, Chinook and Columbus hops with dry-hopping from Amarillo, Magnum and Willamette, this hop monster has all the standard hop scents and tastes of pine, resin, "weed" and citrus. We finished our tasting with this simply due to the high IBU/hop madness.

Ooh, one more:

Flying Mouflan-Troegs Brewing

What an excellent find! I bought this bomber on a whim in Williamsburg in December and just enjoyed it last week. The awards it has won are listed in the barleywine category but it's a bit dark for that and tastes more like a cross between a Belgian dubbel and a DIPA. It would have been interesting to have bought two bottles of this and tasted one early to have the hop explosion that the brewers describe with an IBU of 100-ish and and ABV of 9.3% and then another in a month or two and see how it aged. I thought it was marvelous at about 3-4 months with a dark brown pour, small tan head and flavors of dark fruits, rum, citrus and brown sugar. I like how the web site described it as "...think hops dipped in candied sugar and rolled in dark chocolate nibs." Best served in a snifter at about 55-60 degrees as a night cap or with a chocolate/caramel dessert.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 9th, 2013, 11:20 am

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:

McGritty's Scotch Ale

And another:

Hogwild IPA

Ooh, one more:

What an excellent find! I bought this bomber on a whim in Williamsburg in December and just enjoyed it last week. The awards it has won are listed in the barleywine category but it's a bit dark for that and tastes more like a cross between a Belgian dubbel and a DIPA. It would have been interesting to have bought two bottles of this and tasted one early to have the hop explosion that the brewers describe with an IBU of 100-ish and and ABV of 9.3% and then another in a month or two and see how it aged. I thought it was marvelous at about 3-4 months with a dark brown pour, small tan head and flavors of dark fruits, rum, citrus and brown sugar. I like how the web site described it as "...think hops dipped in candied sugar and rolled in dark chocolate nibs." Best served in a snifter at about 55-60 degrees as a night cap or with a chocolate/caramel dessert.
When were you sober enough to do any doctoring? =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 9th, 2013, 10:39 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
And another:

Hogwild IPA

Ooh, one more:

When were you sober enough to do any doctoring? =)) =)) =))
I had actually sequestered most of those reviews over a 4-6 week period ;) .

Really.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 11th, 2013, 10:09 am

Otherwise, Monday was one Hell of a night.
Reminds me of my ol' late buddy Bob. Who once said after scoring a .29 on the breathalizer...
"Shit! I could've had another beer."
:clap: ^:)^ :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 22nd, 2013, 8:26 pm

For Ozzie (who might be one of the few to think Bud Light belongs on the Ymm, Beer thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_iYsxc9xsY

:beer: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 22nd, 2013, 10:43 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:For Ozzie (who might be one of the few to think Bud Light belongs on the Ymm, Beer thread)

Not any more for Ozzie. He drinks real beer now ;;) .
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 23rd, 2013, 7:43 am

devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:For Ozzie (who might be one of the few to think Bud Light belongs on the Ymm, Beer thread)

Not any more for Ozzie. He drinks real beer now ;;) .
If Shane wants to call it "beer," I'm not going to argue with him.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 25th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Who's Your Daddy????????? Battier!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 28th, 2013, 6:57 am

Old Stock Ale 2009-North Coast Brewing

It continues to be gratifying to cellar these high gravity brews as the gustatory rewards are many. This is an old English style strong ale. The pour is a dark, chestnut brown with a surprisingly robust, light tan head. Aromas and tastes are the expected dark, dried fruits like cherries, dates and figs with rum and brown sugar. Bitterness from English hops is quite subdued with IBU at 34. Almost syrupy with sweetness at an ABV of 11.5% with huge amounts of traditional English malts, this is best served slightly chilled in a snifter as an after dinner drink. I suppose it would also be good with a slice of rum or carrot cake. I have one 12 ounce bottle of this left and I'll savor that next year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 1st, 2013, 10:53 pm

Rampant-New Belgium Brewing

Very pleasant and interesting variation to the DIPA style. Two of the hops are varieties I've never read about, Mosaic and Calypso. The third, Centennial, gives the typical citrus burst to the nose and tastes but the other two lend other tropical fruits to the experience and I perceive mango, papaya and pineapple. Pretty evenly balanced with an IBU of 85 and an ABV of 8.5%. There is a bit of sweetness to the taste and the use of pale malt does not surprise me but the black malt does, as does the light yellow-golden pour with a slightly foamy, creamy head. The bomber was $5 which I thought was quite reasonable and I split it over 2 nights. Would match well with spicy fare.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » May 2nd, 2013, 11:42 am

I like a good double post ploy.
I wonder if MP3 knows one?
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » May 3rd, 2013, 12:45 pm

I picked another one last week and will let it age until the fall. I'm hoping it will age well and am looking forward to tasting at a tailgate. AW. :D
devildeac wrote:Brother Thelonious-North Coast Brewing

This ended up being my person favorite of the afternoon/evening because as it warmed a bit, the flavors became richer and more complex. Brought to you by August West (posting name, not real name), this caged and corked 750 ml delicacy poured a slightly cloudy medium brown with aromas of dark raisins, dates and figs. When tasted, I could add dark brown sugar and aged dark Caribbean rum to my description. Very smooth despite its ABV of 9.4%, typical for a Belgian dark strong ale. Not a stout but more like an imperial dubbel style ale. IBU were 32 so hop presence was rather light which it should be for this style. The two stouts and this one were dessert beers/beverages and were sampled with plain brownies (good), blackberry cobbler (very good), deep dish caramel apple pie (excellent) and peanut butter chocolate chip brownies, my person favorite and prepared by my older daughter :D . I particularly liked the combination of Brother Thelonious with the apple pie.

captmojo

Post by captmojo » May 3rd, 2013, 2:19 pm

Thelonius with apple pie, hmm. :-?
I know he's good with drums and an upright bass. :ymapplause:

The beer sounds like my style, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 3rd, 2013, 11:07 pm

August West wrote:I picked another one last week and will let it age until the fall. I'm hoping it will age well and am looking forward to tasting at a tailgate. AW. :D

This ended up being my person favorite of the afternoon/evening because as it warmed a bit, the flavors became richer and more complex. Brought to you by August West (posting name, not real name), this caged and corked 750 ml delicacy poured a slightly cloudy medium brown with aromas of dark raisins, dates and figs. When tasted, I could add dark brown sugar and aged dark Caribbean rum to my description. Very smooth despite its ABV of 9.4%, typical for a Belgian dark strong ale. Not a stout but more like an imperial dubbel style ale. IBU were 32 so hop presence was rather light which it should be for this style. The two stouts and this one were dessert beers/beverages and were sampled with plain brownies (good), blackberry cobbler (very good), deep dish caramel apple pie (excellent) and peanut butter chocolate chip brownies, my person favorite and prepared by my older daughter :D . I particularly liked the combination of Brother Thelonious with the apple pie.

Was this 2011 or 2012?

IIRC, this is not a particularly expensive 750 ml bottle either. Maybe $8 or $9?
August West

Post by August West » May 4th, 2013, 12:54 pm

I didn't see anything on the label to indicate the year. AW. :D

[/quote]
Was this 2011 or 2012?

IIRC, this is not a particularly expensive 750 ml bottle either. Maybe $8 or $9?[/quote]
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 4th, 2013, 6:57 pm

August West wrote:I didn't see anything on the label to indicate the year. AW. :D

Was this 2011 or 2012?

IIRC, this is not a particularly expensive 750 ml bottle either. Maybe $8 or $9?[/quote][/quote]

Sorry, I meant did we have the prior bottle in 2011 or 2012? I don't think North Coast dates their bottles unless it is an Old Stock Ale.
August West

Post by August West » May 4th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Your review was written 9/23/12. AW. :D
devildeac wrote:
August West wrote:I didn't see anything on the label to indicate the year. AW. :D

Was this 2011 or 2012?

IIRC, this is not a particularly expensive 750 ml bottle either. Maybe $8 or $9?
[/quote]

Sorry, I meant did we have the prior bottle in 2011 or 2012? I don't think North Coast dates their bottles unless it is an Old Stock Ale.[/quote]
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 4th, 2013, 9:50 pm

August West wrote:Your review was written 9/23/12. AW. :D
devildeac wrote:

Was this 2011 or 2012?

[/quote]

Sorry, I meant did we have the prior bottle in 2011 or 2012? I don't think North Coast dates their bottles unless it is an Old Stock Ale.[/quote][/quote]
Thanks for the clarification.