LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » April 3rd, 2013, 10:25 pm

My fun news for the day: in my old neighborhood, there are 2-3 sellers for every buyer. I will likely have to pay money at closing in order to sell. The other option is to rent. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 3rd, 2013, 10:48 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My fun news for the day: in my old neighborhood, there are 2-3 sellers for every buyer. I will likely have to pay money at closing in order to sell. The other option is to rent. :9f:
Rent! You will probably have a positive cash flow if your location is like other parts of the country.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 3rd, 2013, 11:15 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:My fun news for the day: in my old neighborhood, there are 2-3 sellers for every buyer. I will likely have to pay money at closing in order to sell. The other option is to rent. :9f:
Rent! You will probably have a positive cash flow if your location is like other parts of the country.
Renters will not take care of the place, so it will depreciate. Also, the realtor says that I will not get enough to cover my mortgage payment - although anything is better than nothing. If I do end up renting, I will be sorely tempted to move my appliances out of the condo and down here. I do not want to leave really nice, high end appliances in a rental property where they will get trashed. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 4th, 2013, 7:13 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

There are tax savings in renting (depreciation, among other things) , just beware becasue at sale you will be tax on any gain (and recapture the depreciation). Your mileage may vary consult your tax professional.

Have you considered a lease option? Credit is very very tight, and there are responsible people who may had an ooops on their credit who can not get finance. Someone with a lease option will be more inclined to take care of the place.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 4th, 2013, 11:30 am

How about a round of "As the Gavel Drops"?

PHB will, as of July 1, 2013, will be the Honorable PHB, Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Judge for the 21st Judicial District.

Let the machinations for his spot begin. :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 4th, 2013, 12:18 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:How about a round of "As the Gavel Drops"?

PHB will, as of July 1, 2013, will be the Honorable PHB, Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Judge for the 21st Judicial District.

How the Gavel Drops...How the Robe Rustles....

So do tell - who is in the running for this spot...will there be blood? back stabbing? bus tossing?

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 4th, 2013, 12:43 pm

windsor wrote:

So do tell - who is in the running for this spot...will there be blood? back stabbing? bus tossing?

I'd like to hear about the machinations PHB was involved in to get that judgeship.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 4th, 2013, 1:23 pm

windsor wrote:

Some things are better described over a glass of Merlot (or whatever the red du jour is) on my Mac notebook, than on my office desktop over a salad and water. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 4th, 2013, 1:24 pm

CathyCA wrote:
windsor wrote:

I'd like to hear about the machinations PHB was involved in to get that judgeship.

:9f:
Some things are better described over a glass of Merlot (or whatever the red du jour is) on my Mac notebook, than on my office desktop over a salad and water. :9f:

PW. :-ss
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 4th, 2013, 1:32 pm

lawgrad91 wrote: Some things are better described over a glass of Merlot (or whatever the red du jour is) on my Mac notebook, than on my office desktop over a salad and water. :9f:

PW. :-ss

:ymdevil: we can wait. :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 4th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Damn.... :-o

It was such a shock to everyone that OY crashed.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 4th, 2013, 3:18 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

No, it wasn't PHB, it was them dastardly North Koreans!! :Boo:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 4th, 2013, 3:38 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

No, it wasn't PHB, it was them dastardly North Koreans!! :Boo:
It's snowing here. Yet another sign that the apocalypse is upon us. Or maybe the North Koreans have nuked something, and we're having nuclear winter.:9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 4th, 2013, 4:14 pm

sMiles
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 4th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Someone turned the heat off here in Nashville also.

iPads are about 30% off at Best Buy right now. Is this the time to get one?
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 4th, 2013, 7:00 pm

As the Gavel Drops

We have 2 juvenile court judgeships for our district. The longer tenured judge announced his retirement a couple months ago, and there was a feeding frenzy as to who would get the spot. Ultimately, there were six contestants. PHB was one, the MP (for those of you who have forgotten, the Midget Pervert down the hall) was another.

Only two interviews were granted: an Iraqi War combat-decorated Republican who works in the Division of Child Support Enforcement, and Democrat PHB, who left Virginia Military Institute because he was afraid he might end up going to Vietnam and is in juvenile court at most one day a month. (I'm not getting PPB here, just describing the characters as they are.) The most deserving (IMHO, though I think the Slates would back me on this) didn't get interviews. The interview process was in Richmond with the Republican-dominated General Assembly. The EXTREMELY Republican dominated General Assembly.

So it was a stunner that the Republicans picked PHB. PHB has been sucking up to people in power for ages, and maybe they thought they'd shut him up, never have to deal with him again except when he comes up for re-appointment, use him as an exemplar that they are bipartisan, etc. No idea.

In Virginia, if a Commonwealth's Attorney leaves, typically his/her chief deputy takes over and is in that position until another election. PHB has never had a chief deputy. (When I joined the office, there was only him and one other attorney.) Now he has 4 assistants; me, Randy the Genius, MP, and the youngest of the bunch, who frankly could use a nickname. He is 33, grew up in the Varnish Zone, went to Ferrum College in Rocky Mount, VA (that's half an hour up the road, maybe), and to the Appalachian School of Law in beautiful suburban Bland, Virginia. To say that he is provincial is the understatement of the ages. But the office staff fall all over him because he is soooo smart. And he is smart, but if one could buy him for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth, one could buy a medium-sized Caribbean island and have enough left over to buy an airplane and build a runway.

I guess you see where this is headed...
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 4th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Part 2

This afternoon PHB called a meeting of the office and informed us that he had appointed young and arrogant as his chief deputy. The secretaries all cooed and smiled. MP, who was certain he was in line for the position, said nothing. Randy the Genius was in court. I said nothing. Afterward, I told PHB that he had made a horrible mistake, and for good measure I told him he had a terrible morale problem in the office. I told him that young and arrogant had a significant ego problem and it was just compounded exponentially.

I didn't want the job forever. I don't live in the Varnish Zone, and don't intend to move there. What I am pissed about is that PHB didn't have the balls to call me aside and talk to me about it personally. I've been there sixteen years, three months and three days, the longest tenure in the office. Randy the Genius really is a genius, and he had been head honcho in Martinsville City for 24 years before he lost the election. MP, for all his faults, has been a prosecutor for 20 years, albeit in 3 different jurisdictions, two and a half times longer than Mr. Arrogant.

Yet PHB didn't pick us, and not only that, he didn't have the balls to tell us personally, or even the three attorneys separately.

So, things are about to get interesting. I need three years, eight months and 28 more days to reach partial retirement. To get that retirement, I will not be able to work for an agency in Virginia. I live in North Carolina. The federal court system doesn't count, so any federal court job, I could do without messing that up. The countdown clock starts now....
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 4th, 2013, 9:08 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Part 2

This afternoon PHB called a meeting of the office and informed us that he had appointed young and arrogant as his chief deputy. The secretaries all cooed and smiled. MP, who was certain he was in line for the position, said nothing. Randy the Genius was in court. I said nothing. Afterward, I told PHB that he had made a horrible mistake, and for good measure I told him he had a terrible morale problem in the office. I told him that young and arrogant had a significant ego problem and it was just compounded exponentially.

I didn't want the job forever. I don't live in the Varnish Zone, and don't intend to move there. What I am pissed about is that PHB didn't have the balls to call me aside and talk to me about it personally. I've been there sixteen years, three months and three days, the longest tenure in the office. Randy the Genius really is a genius, and he had been head honcho in Martinsville City for 24 years before he lost the election. MP, for all his faults, has been a prosecutor for 20 years, albeit in 3 different jurisdictions, two and a half times longer than Mr. Arrogant.

Yet PHB didn't pick us, and not only that, he didn't have the balls to tell us personally, or even the three attorneys separately.

So, things are about to get interesting. I need three years, eight months and 28 more days to reach partial retirement. To get that retirement, I will not be able to work for an agency in Virginia. I live in North Carolina. The federal court system doesn't count, so any federal court job, I could do without messing that up. The countdown clock starts now....
OMG - PHB appointed the male version of Supervisor Barbie to be Chief Deputy. SB was promoted to a position above her level of competence/experience due to her innate ability to suck up. Colleagues recognized her for what she was. So, I think Ken needs to be part of his name. Chief Deputy Ken? Lawyer Ken?

I'm really sorry, lawgrad. This situation sucks out loud on so many levels that I cannot even begin to list them all. Can't wait to hear windsor's take.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 4th, 2013, 10:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

OMG - PHB appointed the male version of Supervisor Barbie to be Chief Deputy. SB was promoted to a position above her level of competence/experience due to her innate ability to suck up. Colleagues recognized her for what she was. So, I think Ken needs to be part of his name. Chief Deputy Ken? Lawyer Ken?

I'm really sorry, lawgrad. This situation sucks out loud on so many levels that I cannot even begin to list them all. Can't wait to hear windsor's take.
Needed: A name for LG's saga. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 4th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

Needed: A name for LG's saga. :D
The Young and the Varnished?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.