Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by lawgrad91 » March 2nd, 2013, 9:42 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Wile E. Coyote revealed his ignorance again yesterday, this time in front of another colleague. WEC asked me a question and then proceeded to cut me off as I was answering his question. I finally just stopped talking and let him babble. Then, at the end of his monologue, he announced (like it was a major accomplishment) that his database search computer was working and he had successfully searched some of his files against his preferred protein database (IPI). WEC also announced that he also had to buy his own copy of an expensive database search engine that we already have on campus because IPI wasn't loaded onto the search engine's server. After he bragged about his database searches, I asked, oh so diplomatically, "Why are you using IPI? It isn't even being curated any more." He resonded with, "Who told you that? It's the database I always use for my work. I've been using it for years. (rant, rant, rant)"

After he left, my colleague said, "What the hell did you do to piss him off? He asks you questions and then interrupts when you try to answer! Is he always that way?" I responded in the affirmative. He then said, "What the hell is he doing, using IPA? No one uses IPA! Does he even read the literature? Holy hell! What an idiot!"

Just to be sure I was right, I went to IPI's website. The entire homepage is an announcement that the database hasn't been updated since Sept 2011 and is being phased out. Yep, our newest world's expert doesn't even know which database is the standard one for the field. If he didn't know IPI was going away, he obviously hasn't even attempted to update his protein database since at least Sept 2011. AND he wasted around $5000 to buy a program we already have so that he can use his obsolete protein database. =)) Dumbass.
Sometimes the best thing you can do is just let them keep reeling out rope...
Yep. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the show. I really wish I hadn't asked him about the database. The good thing is that he thinks I'm wrong. I'll just continue to stay as far away from him as possible.
If he thinks he is right, he probably won't bother to go beyond his own database. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 2nd, 2013, 10:16 pm

RE: Ryan Kelly. Wow! Just fucking wow! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 2nd, 2013, 10:28 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:RE: Ryan Kelly. Wow! Just fucking wow! :9f:
QFE

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 3rd, 2013, 1:32 am

CathyCA wrote:
QFE

QFE
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 3rd, 2013, 1:35 am

AD,

I can't decide if you have the incredible bad luck of running into all the idiots or if you are just so good that it makes so many look like idiots.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » March 3rd, 2013, 1:37 am

For the record, I'm going with the latter option above.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 3rd, 2013, 2:02 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
QFE

QFE
QFAE. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 3rd, 2013, 2:34 am

DukieInKansas wrote:For the record, I'm going with the latter option above.
You're too kind. I have my days of being an idiot, too. There's a lot that I don't know, but I was fortunate to work in a cutting-edge lab with state-of-the-art toys. PHB had his issues, but he knew industry standards. By extension, I learned to be aware of such things. That's important if you want your work to be published in top tier journals.

WEC complained during his interview visit that the top journal in our field, edited by none other than his graduate adviser, wouldn't publish his work. One would think that might be a sign. No. He told me that he had written a letter to his former boss to complain that his work was of higher quality than other work that had been accepted for publication. He didn't receive a response. At the time, knowing that this same journal accepted The Minion's somewhat fraudulent work, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now, not so much. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 3rd, 2013, 9:38 am

RYAN FUCKING KELLY

rk.jpg
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » March 3rd, 2013, 10:02 am

I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning when I woke up today. Had a lovely breakfast with Kelly, then read a few articles about the game watched the highlights and Coach's K presser. It's a gorgeous day in Charlotte and I couldn't be happier!

What a performance last night! Think I might watch the game again.
:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
sMiles
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 3rd, 2013, 10:25 am

windsor wrote:RYAN FUCKING KELLY

rk.jpg
QFE. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 3rd, 2013, 11:19 pm

I swear he was just like a big, happy puppy out playing in the back yard. The best part was when he romped past the Crazies and grinned " I've still GOT it!" :happy-bouncyblue: What a doll.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 4th, 2013, 7:25 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I swear he was just like a big, happy puppy out playing in the back yard. The best part was when he romped past the Crazies and grinned " I've still GOT it!" :happy-bouncyblue: What a doll.
Love, Ima

He is adorable....I must speak to my daughter...I want him to father my grandchildren :D :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 4th, 2013, 9:56 am

windsor wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I swear he was just like a big, happy puppy out playing in the back yard. The best part was when he romped past the Crazies and grinned " I've still GOT it!" :happy-bouncyblue: What a doll.
Love, Ima

He is adorable....I must speak to my daughter...I want him to father my grandchildren :D :D
Colchar will get jealous! :ymdevil: :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 4th, 2013, 12:11 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
windsor wrote:
Love, Ima

Colchar will get jealous! :ymdevil: :9f:

As for Kelly’s life off the court, he has dated Bill Cowher’s daughter, Lindsay, since both attended Ravenscroft.

What was it like taking her out at first knowing Coach Cowher was waiting at home? Kelly laughed off the question.

“I’ve gotten to know Mr. Cowher pretty well,” Kelly said. “He’s a great guy. He’s not quite the guy you see on the field, and I think that’s something a lot of people don’t see about a lot of coaches, whether it’s [Mike Krzyzewski] or coach Cowher. They’re normal guys when they’re off the field or off the court.”

But if Cowher told Kelly to bring his daughter home by a certain time, “I’m early,” Kelly said.

Gotta love Ryan Kelly!!!! Lindsay will graduate from Elon this spring!!!!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 5th, 2013, 9:39 pm

I had two very large glasses of wine and a beer during the VT game, without supper. Apparently I am too old for that.

I am in need of food. But I am very, very happy. :duke: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 5th, 2013, 9:46 pm

And Jabari Parker accepted my friend request on FB. :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 5th, 2013, 11:07 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I had two very large glasses of wine and a beer during the VT game, without supper. Apparently I am too old for that.

Yeth Seth!!! ;)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 6th, 2013, 9:26 am

TO ALL OUR SENIORS :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :-BD :clap: ^:)^ ^:)^ :dance: \:d/ \:d/ :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » March 6th, 2013, 3:35 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I had two very large glasses of wine and a beer during the VT game, without supper. Apparently I am too old for that.

Lawgrad91,

You and I had a similar experience last night. Oy.

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.