Need help from the computer folks...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Need help from the computer folks...

Post by bjornolf » January 17th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Sorry to bother, but I was using my old desktop which I only use for the scanner and to print out photos (couple times a month), and I ran into a problem. I needed to print out an email, so I went up there yesterday and did so. I also browsed a little via firefox. I accidentally left it on overnight and when I went back today, it said it had downloaded some system updates and restarted. Now it won't get on the internet. It says it's connected to the fios router (it plugs into the wall with a cat5, connection seems good at both ends). I just downloaded a new version of itunes today after the problem started. Oddly, the old version had no trouble connecting to the itunes store but the new version says it can't connect. I also downloaded a new version of acrobat reader after the problem started. So, something is getting through. However, firefox, safari, and explorer can't find the internet. None of our other devices (ipad via wifi, macbook via wifi, pc computer via cat5, ps3 via cat5, 3 tivo boxes via cat5) are having any trouble finding the internet.

The old desktop runs XP. It also has norton internet security (I know, I know). Oddly, I can't get Norton to open. I click on it, right click open, start menu run, and nothing seems to open it. That's never happened before. Everything else seems to be working fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Re: Need help from the computer folks...

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 17th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Not a clue. Except I just do what they always tell me to do .... unplug the router and count to ten. That's the extent of my expertise. I s'pose you've already done that.
Bless your heart and good luck. Maybe CB&B will chime in soon.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » January 18th, 2013, 12:25 am

bjornolf wrote:Sorry to bother, but I was using my old desktop which I only use for the scanner and to print out photos (couple times a month), and I ran into a problem. I needed to print out an email, so I went up there yesterday and did so. I also browsed a little via firefox. I accidentally left it on overnight and when I went back today, it said it had downloaded some system updates and restarted. Now it won't get on the internet. It says it's connected to the fios router (it plugs into the wall with a cat5, connection seems good at both ends). I just downloaded a new version of itunes today after the problem started. Oddly, the old version had no trouble connecting to the itunes store but the new version says it can't connect. I also downloaded a new version of acrobat reader after the problem started. So, something is getting through. However, firefox, safari, and explorer can't find the internet. None of our other devices (ipad via wifi, macbook via wifi, pc computer via cat5, ps3 via cat5, 3 tivo boxes via cat5) are having any trouble finding the internet.

The old desktop runs XP. It also has norton internet security (I know, I know). Oddly, I can't get Norton to open. I click on it, right click open, start menu run, and nothing seems to open it. That's never happened before. Everything else seems to be working fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I'd suspect a virus/malware of sorts, but not sure what to tell you to look for.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 18th, 2013, 7:52 am

If it worked the day before, then system restore!
(ooh, that rhymes :D )
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 18th, 2013, 11:30 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:If it worked the day before, then system restore!
(ooh, that rhymes :D )
CB&B's "Cat In The Hat" hat has turned him into Dr. Seuss!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » January 22nd, 2013, 10:11 am

Can you check the logs and see exactly which updates were installed from which products? I wouldn't worry about the Microsoft ones, but I bet Norton has his greasy fingers in there somewhere. (I had it and hated it; using Bitdefender now). Since you're behind a router and this is print/scan computer, I'd try uninstalling / disabling / nuking Norton and see where that takes you. I'm betting it's all Norton's fault...

And thanks for the reminder - I have an old desktop (the ROUS) that Mrs. Turk has been after me to retire, since the other three computers (Vizzini, Buttercup, and MiracleMax) are in good working order.

And I also like CB&B's advice on the system restore. (but no more rhymes, I mean it!!) :D :D
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."