Life is a Cabernet

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Life is a Cabernet

Post by windsor » November 21st, 2012, 8:20 pm

We were having a wine conversation in Section 21during the last game. I thought I would kick off a wine thread. I was not much of a "wine person" until my late 30s. The fates aligned to place me on a project in San Diego with some consultants who had big expense accounts and were wine geeks. I remember the night when we were at a very nice steak house and I proclaimed that red wine gave me a headache. My cohort Rob proclaimed that I needed to quit drinking cheap red, and her order Caymus Special Select 1991 ($250 worth of wine) . It was an epiphany in a glass (truth be told, it was pretty close to sex in a glass). A passion for Cabernet was born.

I stick to wines that are a decimal place cheaper than that Caymus... if you have a favorite wine - of any color - share! I am having Sterling 2009 cab right now. It is a beautiful wine at around $20.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Life is a Cabernet

Post by August West » November 21st, 2012, 8:45 pm

I like a good wine almost as much as I like good beer. I have a couple of bottles from Sterling that I bought at the winery in Napa in 1997. They are hidden away down in the basement, I'll dig them out next time I'm downstairs and let you know what I've got. Hope they are still OK. Should be. AW. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 21st, 2012, 8:54 pm

I used to say that my favorite wine was Eau de Budweiser. But I've changed. Now it's Eau de Newcastle! :D

And Windsor, as far as you comment, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" :ymdevil:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 21st, 2012, 8:56 pm

I am drinking a Pouilly-Fuissé right now. It is a dry white wine, made from Chardonnay grapes from the Burgundy region of France.

This is a crisp wine. It's a 2010 vintage. I thought it tasted like apples.

The vintner described it as follows: "Our 2010 Puilly Fuisse reveals a beautiful pale gold color and a discrete nose which bears notes of acacia flowers. Balanced wine; fat and sappy at the same time. In the mouth, one finds floral aromas accompanied by a peppery finish."

I don't even know what acacia flowers are. I didn't think it was peppery, either. Apples, I tell you. I tasted apples.

I am not a wine snob. Two years ago, I developed quite a taste for red wine. It's now more unusual for me to drink a white wine than it is for me to drink a red wine.

I would drink this wine again. It's that good.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » November 21st, 2012, 9:12 pm

I recently joined Naked Wines and have enjoyed trying out new stuff. For the most part, I'm a red wine girl. I recently discovered Malbecs and love those. I've also been enjoying wines from Chile. Ymmmm. http://us.nakedwines.com/
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 21st, 2012, 9:56 pm

DukePA wrote:I recently joined Naked Wines and have enjoyed trying out new stuff. For the most part, I'm a red wine girl. I recently discovered Malbecs and love those. I've also been enjoying wines from Chile. Ymmmm. http://us.nakedwines.com/

YUM! I love malbecs! I'll review one later this weekend.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 21st, 2012, 11:30 pm

Great. Just great. Another temptation thread. Now I'm going to have to sample all of the wines I buy for Mrs. DD and think of things to post about them, too ;) :D .

Tonight's glass is L DeLyeth, a 2010 Chardonnay from Sonoma County. Probably less than $10 on sale during Harris Teeter's recent 20% off sale so I'm guessing this started at about $15-16 and was already $5-6 off on a VIC card special and ended up at about $9. I'll have an ounce or two after my Souther Tier Old Man Winter Ale and post something tomorrow. I'm with AW here and like a nice cabernet or chardonnay almost as much as an IPA or imperial stout.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 22nd, 2012, 12:32 am

We had a nice glass of something from Spain tonight. (Didn't have my reading glasses on and the print was too small for me to figure out.)

Love me a glass of wine, though I would have liked it earlier tonight.
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » November 22nd, 2012, 9:41 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:And Windsor, as far as you comment, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" :ymdevil:
One glass of wine does to me what 4 to 5 beers does. I prefer wine to beer these days as I fret over the caloric intake of 4 to 5 beers.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 22nd, 2012, 10:34 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:And Windsor, as far as you comment, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" :ymdevil:
One glass of wine does to me what 4 to 5 beers does. I prefer wine to beer these days as I fret over the caloric intake of 4 to 5 beers.
Ymo, see captmojo's signature comment about his favorite beer! B-)

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 22nd, 2012, 11:41 am

So, what is everybody serving with turkey today? The OP has paired an Artesa Carneros Pinot Noir. It says here we can look forward to flavors of strawberry, cherry and allspice accentuated with hints of caramel and toasty oak.. "To experience this Pinot is to discover "The Jewel of Carneros." Works for me. ;;)
:usa: Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukePA

Post by DukePA » November 22nd, 2012, 1:56 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:So, what is everybody serving with turkey today? The OP has paired an Artesa Carneros Pinot Noir. It says here we can look forward to flavors of strawberry, cherry and allspice accentuated with hints of caramel and toasty oak.. "To experience this Pinot is to discover "The Jewel of Carneros." Works for me. ;;)
Nina gave us a housewarming bottle of Pays D'oc Pinot Noir D'Autrefois. I'm looking forward to trying it and will let you guys know how it tastes. Ymmmm, wine
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 22nd, 2012, 2:39 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:So, what is everybody serving with turkey today? The OP has paired an Artesa Carneros Pinot Noir. It says here we can look forward to flavors of strawberry, cherry and allspice accentuated with hints of caramel and toasty oak.. "To experience this Pinot is to discover "The Jewel of Carneros." Works for me. ;;)
I love wine descriptions! My favorite Cabs tend to be described as "full bodied, black fruit with smoke and oak on the finish"

I do not taste any of that. Ever. I guess I need to drink more wine.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » November 22nd, 2012, 3:17 pm

I opened the bottle of Pinot Noir to allow it to breathe. I'm so excited to try it!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2012, 5:56 pm

DukePA wrote:I opened the bottle of Pinot Noir to allow it to breathe. I'm so excited to try it!
If it stops breathing, please start CPR immediately. 8-|
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 22nd, 2012, 6:14 pm

windsor wrote:
I love wine descriptions! My favorite Cabs tend to be described as "full bodied, black fruit with smoke and oak on the finish"

I do not taste any of that. Ever. I guess I need to drink more wine.
Me either, Windsor. It just tastes good to me....
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2012, 8:38 pm

devildeac wrote:Great. Just great. Another temptation thread. Now I'm going to have to sample all of the wines I buy for Mrs. DD and think of things to post about them, too ;) :D .

Tonight's glass is L DeLyeth, a 2010 Chardonnay from Sonoma County. Probably less than $10 on sale during Harris Teeter's recent 20% off sale so I'm guessing this started at about $15-16 and was already $5-6 off on a VIC card special and ended up at about $9. I'll have an ounce or two after my Souther Tier Old Man Winter Ale and post something tomorrow. I'm with AW here and like a nice cabernet or chardonnay almost as much as an IPA or imperial stout.
Pale yellow color with a a floral nose and tastes of melon, apples and pears. A bit light in color and body for a chardonnay I thought but the ABV was 13.5% and Mrs. DD commented how much she liked it. Assuming it was a barrel aged wine, I'll mention that the oak/vanilla flavors were almost imperceptible. Would accompany light appetizers or lighter chicken and fish dishes well.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 22nd, 2012, 10:04 pm

windsor wrote: My cohort Rob proclaimed that I needed to quit drinking cheap red, and her order Caymus Special Select 1991 ($250 worth of wine) . It was an epiphany in a glass (truth be told, it was pretty close to sex in a glass).
At our Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon, a guest mentioned that he was charged with procuring a high dollar bottle of wine for his boss, something in the $200 range and he asked if anyone had any suggestions? I whipped out my smart phone, called up this thread, and showed him this wine. He wrote it down and will get it tomorrow or next week! He wanted me to pass along his thanks and kudos for posting this! So thanks, Windsor, for posting this and getting his butt out of a sling! B-)

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 22nd, 2012, 10:12 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
Ymo, see captmojo's signature comment about his favorite beer! B-)
In case anyone is too lazy to go look for it, here it is!
What's your favorite beer? "The fifth one, I think. That's the one that makes me handsome and fearless."

DukePA

Post by DukePA » November 23rd, 2012, 10:30 am

DukePA wrote:
Nina gave us a housewarming bottle of Pays D'oc Pinot Noir D'Autrefois. I'm looking forward to trying it and will let you guys know how it tastes. Ymmmm, wine
I can't give a review of the wine because my taste buds weren't cooperating. I used Zycam gel swabs to try to avert a cold almost 3 years ago and completely lost my sense of smell for 1 1/2 years. Since then, I can occasionally smell/taste, but the timing is unpredictable. Damn it, Zycam X( The good news is, is that we still have half of the bottle. Perhaps I'll be able to properly sample it later this weekend.