Hurricane Sandy

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by TillyGalore » October 29th, 2012, 9:15 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Well unfortunately some dumbass captain decided to take the HMS Bounty (replica of the original and used in lots of movies) out in the storm and it just sank off the coast of Hatteras. 14 rescued, 2 still missing. The Graveyard of the Atlantic takes in another permanent resident.
Is that Blackbeard's ship? You're right, dumbass captain.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 29th, 2012, 9:23 am

TillyGalore wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Well unfortunately some dumbass captain decided to take the HMS Bounty (replica of the original and used in lots of movies) out in the storm and it just sank off the coast of Hatteras. 14 rescued, 2 still missing. The Graveyard of the Atlantic takes in another permanent resident.
The Bounty was the ship from the story "Mutiny on the Bounty". The original was burned by the mutineers off Pitcairn Island. This ship was built for the movie starring Marlon Brando and was most recently used in one of the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I got to see it when it was in Morehead City for the tall ships event we had in 2006.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Coas ... 28331.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 29th, 2012, 9:27 am

:YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: Vibes and prayers for all who are in the path of this horrible storm. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:

:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » October 29th, 2012, 9:30 am

My first thought was, "why the hell would they take her out?" Is it possible they were trying to save it from getting beat up by the piers during the storm? I seem to remember the Navy taking ships out during hurricanes for that reason.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 29th, 2012, 9:37 am

DukePA wrote:
My first thought was, "why the hell would they take her out?" Is it possible they were trying to save it from getting beat up by the piers during the storm? I seem to remember the Navy taking ships out during hurricanes for that reason.
I don't know where they left from, but if that is what they were doing, they did it wrong. Why not just hug the coast? Anyone can see on a map that storm was way out to sea, so the closer you are to land the better conditions you will have. They could have anchored any place south of Hatteras and been fine.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 29th, 2012, 9:43 am

Big ships fare better out in open water than tied up in harbor. The Navy takes their ships out to sea. But perhaps something of this vintage was a goner no matter where it was in these seas? How far up the Nuese River could it have come? All the way to Smithfield? Nah, but that would have been fun to see, or sea! :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 29th, 2012, 9:54 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Big ships fare better out in open water than tied up in harbor. The Navy takes their ships out to sea. But perhaps something of this vintage was a goner no matter where it was in these seas? How far up the Nuese River could it have come? All the way to Smithfield? Nah, but that would have been fun to see, or sea! :9f:
Speaking only from the experience of being here over the weekend, I can say our weather was fine for any ship to be anchored in. No sunken boats in Morehead, Beaufort or New Bern. If the storm was actually supposed to be bad here (it was never forecast as bad) then it would make sense to stay out.

As for our weather that I alluded to..it was merely three days of shitty cold rain with a decent wind.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 29th, 2012, 10:22 am

DukePA wrote:
Bob Green said the Navy ships in Norfolk had all put out to sea.

I got an email from my BFF in Portsmouth this morning that there was some flooding downtown (including where the city just built the new courthouse) but otherwise everything was going well for them. All the executive branch offices in the Commonwealth are closed. Too bad we are considered judicial branch.... :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 29th, 2012, 11:50 am

Prayers and vibes for all in the path of Hurricane Sandy! Be Safe!!!! :pray: :wizard:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 29th, 2012, 2:50 pm

One of my friends posted on FB that the ABC stores in Virginia Beach are still open, so she is in good shape. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 29th, 2012, 3:00 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:One of my friends posted on FB that the ABC stores in Virginia Beach are still open, so she is in good shape. :9f:

I think it was OY that suggested stocking up on beer for the storm. It can be used as currency after the storm passes - as in someone may help you remove downed trees for beer instead of cash because nothing is open or stocked nearby. That made me chuckle - but is also a pretty practical suggestion. You can always consume what you don't "spend".
Life is good!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 29th, 2012, 5:10 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
DukePA wrote:
Bob Green said the Navy ships in Norfolk had all put out to sea.

I got an email from my BFF in Portsmouth this morning that there was some flooding downtown (including where the city just built the new courthouse) but otherwise everything was going well for them. All the executive branch offices in the Commonwealth are closed. Too bad we are considered judicial branch.... :9f:
They said on the news that the Navy changed it's mind and recalled the ships.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Pictures from "a girl from Nantucket"! ;)
http://www.ack.net/SandyPhotoJournal102912.htm
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 29th, 2012, 11:15 pm

I talked to my cousin in Va. Beach this afternoon. It has been raining since last night. They have not lost power and no flooding at her house. Norfolk is flooding, of course. It always floods there. The area lucked out this time. I also spoke with my brother in Richmond. Lots of rain is about it. I really feel for Northan Virginia and all north of there. ~x( Frankenstorm sucks.

:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 30th, 2012, 12:53 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
The Bounty was the ship from the story "Mutiny on the Bounty". The original was burned by the mutineers off Pitcairn Island. This ship was built for the movie starring Marlon Brando and was most recently used in one of the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I got to see it when it was in Morehead City for the tall ships event we had in 2006.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Coas ... 28331.html

Yep, built in Nova Scotia up here in Canada.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 30th, 2012, 12:55 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DukePA wrote:
I don't know where they left from, but if that is what they were doing, they did it wrong. Why not just hug the coast? Anyone can see on a map that storm was way out to sea, so the closer you are to land the better conditions you will have. They could have anchored any place south of Hatteras and been fine.

I saw the captain of a similar ship in Nova Scotia being interviewed on the news tonight. He knew the captain of the ship that went down and said he simply cannot understand why he took it out as this captain had flatly refused to take his own ship out.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 30th, 2012, 4:48 am

CBS had a special on last night about Hurricane Sandy, that bumped Hawaii Five 0. I feel asleep 15 minutes into the program.

In a couple of hours, New Jersey and New York will be able to see all the damage that Sandy has pounded on their states. I viewed some pics online. Vibes and Prayers to everyone in the path and wrath of Sandy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/battery- ... ng-2012-10

Wral reports that power may not be restored in parts of New York for a week. (In North Carolina, we know about that......several times). God Bless America, and take care everyone and be safe.

**==
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 31st, 2012, 4:16 am

Yesterday was ALL outer bands of Sandy weather. 25-30 mph winds most of the day, cold, dreary rain/drizzle. Nothing AT ALL like back in Jersey, but that may give you a sense of the size of the storm. How is the storm up in Ontario, colchar?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 2nd, 2012, 9:09 am

Crazy here in New Jersey. We were fine in the SW part of the state near Philly, but as you all have no doubt seen, the shore got hammered. My in-laws' place saw a 10-foot storm surge that crested the bulkhead at the back of the property and put a couple of feet of water in the house. Will be spending my weekend down there throwing stuff out and cleaning it up. People have been stopping for gas here in my town because all the gas stations closer to the shore (about 45 minutes from me) are virtually sold out. It's crazy.
-- DukeUsul
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » November 2nd, 2012, 9:56 am

Continued for prayer and much relief for those in New Jersey and the Jersey Shore and New York and Manhattan.

Gov Christie has been so uplifting to the state of New Jersey. He is reaching out everyday to bring New Jersey above all of this magnitude of destruction and loss from Hurricane Sandy. He is such a leader! :Clap:

Continued prayers as FEMA and volunteers are reaching victims of Sandy, and bringing relief, support, supplies and comfort to all. The New Jersey woman that was on the news last night, was so in despair and so good to see the FEMA representative give the lady a hug and comfort her and say "We are not leaving. We are here." :pray: :pray: :pray: :wizard: :pray: